My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low power and absolutely silent. I've already built mine and will repurpose my old HTPC into a NAS.

Here's a good guide.

http://mymediaexperience.com/raspber...-with-raspbmc/

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't you just get a fire stick like they were talking about in that other thread? Less than half the cost and can also do slingtv.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like my firestick but pi is cool too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't you just get a fire stick like they were talking about in that other thread? Less than half the cost and can also do slingtv.
    Can the fire stick emulate game consoles?

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the fire stick emulate game consoles?
    well I thought you were talking about a Kodi HTPC. though now I'm quite disappointed in the fire stick, I can't get OTA TV to play smoothly, no matter the buffer/deinterlacing/acceleration/network settings, it just won't do it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well I thought you were talking about a Kodi HTPC. though now I'm quite disappointed in the fire stick, I can't get OTA TV to play smoothly, no matter the buffer/deinterlacing/acceleration/network settings, it just won't do it.
    Why don't you watch OTA tv, y'know, OTA?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no .

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OTA through a network tuner/DVR then out to the various devices.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OTA through a network tuner/DVR then out to the various devices.
    Do you get a clear picture running straight to a tv from the antenna? the next question will be wut antenna you're using.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently the firestick's inability to hardware deinterlace has been a long known issue, foolish of me to just assume it could accomplish this simple task. oh well, guess I'll try the RPi after all.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    apparently the firestick's inability to hardware deinterlace has been a long known issue, foolish of me to just assume it could accomplish this simple task. oh well, guess I'll try the RPi after all.

50 plus customers that are very happy with the firestick the picture is awesome but is only as good as the link and server you are streaming from. with that being said there are plenty of good links/streams.

in regards to roms a no go on the fire stick but you can on the fire tv but its out of stock for now until amazons new version comes out. sold out just about everywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what sort of OS does the raspberry uses? android?
    I installed Raspbian, which is a unix-like OS optimized for the Pi. I was initially interested in using the Pi for emulating old console games, so that's why I chose this OS.

If I had purchased the Pi specifically for a media center, I would install OpenELEC or OSMC. Good guide in the OP.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I installed Raspbian, which is a unix-like OS optimized for the Pi. I was initially interested in using the Pi for emulating old console games, so that's why I chose this OS.
    How powerful a system can you emulate on the Raspberry Pi 2? NES? SNES? MAME? N64? GameCube? Also, what controller do you use for gaming? Something wireless, or wired?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How powerful a system can you emulate on the Raspberry Pi 2? NES? SNES? MAME? N64? GameCube? Also, what controller do you use for gaming? Something wireless, or wired?
    N64 is the best it can do, and it doesn't play all N64 perfectly. Emulation requires more horsepower than the original hardware. You can use wired or wireless controllers. A lot of people use the wireless Xbox controller. I use one of those cheap knockoff SNES controllers.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    N64 is the best it can do, and it doesn't play all N64 perfectly. Emulation requires more horsepower than the original hardware. You can use wired or wireless controllers. A lot of people use the wireless Xbox controller. I use one of those cheap knockoff SNES controllers.
    I was thinking a wired controller would pretty easily pull such a small device down, well unless you have it anchored well to something.

I'm really tempted to make one as a tiny low power emulator / PLEX client after I followed your link and saw how freaking small the thing is. I'll have to see if there is a good wireless controller with nice battery life and a tiny USB dongle like you see with wireless keyboards and mice now. The XBox 360 wireless dongle for Windows is freaking huge and doesn't work that well (I have one). That would be cool for Atari 2600, Commodore 64, DOS, Apple II, Amiga, NES, SNES, Game Boy, and Genesis, though I guess a wireless keyboard would be a must for C64 and Amiga. Oh well, N64 has aged horribly anyways. Your MAME performance is good though? Arcade games like Galaga, Zaxxon, Golden Axe, Pole Position, Kung Fu Master, Shinobi, Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles on the bigscreen sounds awesome.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 09-23-2015 at 10:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking a wired controller would pretty easily pull such a small device down, well unless you have it anchored well to something.

I'm really tempted to make one as a tiny low power emulator / PLEX client after I followed your link and saw how freaking small the thing is. I'll have to see if there is a good wireless controller with nice battery life and a tiny USB dongle like you see with wireless keyboards and mice now. The XBox 360 wireless dongle for Windows is freaking huge and doesn't work that well (I have one). That would be cool for Atari 2600, Commodore 64, DOS, Apple II, Amiga, NES, SNES, Game Boy, and Genesis, though I guess a wireless keyboard would be a must for C64 and Amiga. Oh well, N64 has aged horribly anyways. Your MAME performance is good though? Arcade games like Galaga, Zaxxon, Golden Axe, Pole Position, Kung Fu Master, Shinobi, Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles on the bigscreen sounds awesome.

Yeah, anchoring that thing down with some Velcro isn't a bad idea. I have pulled it off of my cabinet with wired USB controllers.

The RPi 2 is a lot of bang for the buck. It is kind of a pain in the ass to set up and configure, but there are some good guides out there.

I would recommend Floob's Youtube channel. --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdS...yY8V77vj6mQ-0g

He has a lot of good tutorials and product reviews.

EDIT> Mame performance is very good. At one point, I had every Mame rom for the version supported (ver. 0.375b) -- over 2000 roms. I would suggest only adding the roms you'll actually use because it takes forever to scroll through the list.
    Last edited by DarrinS; 09-23-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Thread Information