Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secret weapon against GSW

LMA pick n'roll can dish it out to a Kawhi ISO or wide open Green. I want to see more of this in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think RG's abilities have been tapped on this team yet. I hope Pop finds the time to get to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi
    Danny
    Gay
    Aldridge
    Gasol or Bertans
    it would be interesting to watch for a few minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought OP was only a Trump balls licker... he also watches bb ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    he also thinks earth is flat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah... u kiddin' right ?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah... u kiddin' right ?

He doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh boy

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    nah... u kiddin' right ?

Ahem...
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=1#post9198261
    He will get cooked by the Van Allen radiation belt if he goes too high. There is also the dome theory, with the snow globe Earth basically. The dome is impenetrable according to speculation.
    Only a creationist, flat-earther dip would post some stupid crap like that

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahem...
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=1#post9198261

Only a creationist, flat-earther dip would post some stupid crap like that
    He didn't go all in with that comment. I saw it when he posted it. He just a bad poster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs just need to use a PG. The idea of running Gay, Kawhi or even Anderson there for long stretches isn't stable. It's great that all of those guys can handle the ball and make some plays but the difference between the Spurs when they try to do that versus when they have Tony run the offense is still night and day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't do it for big stretches (though we still have to see what happens with Kawhi) but they do it at key points, when they really need a bucket, when the pgs have been ineffective setting things up, sometimes to end the quarter. I think it's a matter of necessity currently. Tony is on minutes restrictions and frankly with his injury history depending on him and not getting others reps is irresponsible. Patty is not a traditional PG, Dejounte is raw and he does get his opportunities as well. Manu is 40 and you don't know if he will have a flashback Manu game or TO the ball 3 times in a row.

It is what it is. The forwards are a point of advantage for the Spurs and it's not going to be discontinued, but it also is just a small number of possessions when one considers that Patty, Manu, Tony and Dejounte do get the ball a lot more frankly for the PnR. But forward/big PnR is not going away... when Kawhi comes back to play it may become even more prominent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By a point forward, I assume you mean a player who can see the floor and will pass to his team mates to run an offense. Seems to me that the ball gets lost in there somewhere when it reaches Rudy Gay's hands and doesn't reappear until his shot goes up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF Gay running the point, hopefully he can get a better shot next time than that three at the end of regulation that missed everything but the backboard and was bailed out by the foul LMA drew under the basket trying to get the rebound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Gay had 4 assists last night and made some good plays with his passing so probably not the best time to make that comment tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi
    Danny
    Gay
    Aldridge
    Gasol or Bertans
    it would be interesting to watch for a few minutes
    Manu, danny, kawhi, gay, aldridge is what I want to see

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu, danny, kawhi, gay, aldridge is what I want to see
    Tony, Manu, Kawhi, TD, DRob in their respective primes is what I want to see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs just need to use a PG. The idea of running Gay, Kawhi or even Anderson there for long stretches isn't stable. It's great that all of those guys can handle the ball and make some plays but the difference between the Spurs when they try to do that versus when they have Tony run the offense is still night and day.
    The offense has had better efficiency, when Tony isn't running it, for like the last 4 years in a row.
    Last edited by DAF86; 12-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense has had better efficiency, when Tony isn't running it, for like the last 4 years in a row.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because a) That's usually because Manu had been running it. He wasn't in the OP and definitely isn't a point-forward and b) The Spurs have done that for short stretches when guys like Mills were hot. Finally c) there's a difference between efficiency and flow. The latter should lead to the former, but it hasn't the last couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because a) That's usually because Manu had been running it. He wasn't in the OP and definitely isn't a point-forward and b) The Spurs have done that for short stretches when guys like Mills were hot. Finally c) there's a difference between efficiency and flow. The latter should lead to the former, but it hasn't the last couple of years.
    And what good does flow do when you can't finish possesions with points?

I hate to get into this argument 'cause people see the Argie flag and immediately think: "oh, another Manu fan and Tony hater", when that really isn't the case. All I care about is the Spurs doing as well as possible. During the last playoffs I was the first advocate of MVParker, tbh.

But for the past, almost, half a decade metrics show that Tony hasn't really been that effective and that, most often than not, Spurs tend to do better with lineups that doesn't include him. And if you see the games it really isn't that difficult to see why.

As Tony began to decline and he stopped being the focal point of the offense, his weaknesses started to become more obvious as an off-ball player, namely his lack of shooting and tendency to overdribble a bit.

Yes, he is still by far the best ballhandler of the team and a better pick and roll player than his backup point guards but that doesn't make up for those other huge weaknesses on today's NBA.

And against the Warriors he is specially ineffective because of the impossibility of being hide on defense. That's why I think the whole point forward thing that the OP brings is something worth exploring. But instead of Gay, I was thinking more of Anderson.

Are you telling me that a lineup of Anderson, Green, Kawhi, Gay/Bertans and Aldridge to finish off games against the Warriors isn't an interesting proposition?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what good does flow do when you can't finish possesions with points?

I hate to get into this argument 'cause people see the Argie flag and immediately think: "oh, another Manu fan and Tony hater", when that really isn't the case. All I care about is the Spurs doing as well as possible. During the last playoffs I was the first advocate of MVParker, tbh.

But for the past, almost, half a decade metrics show that Tony hasn't really been that effective and that, most often than not, Spurs tend to do better with lineups that doesn't include him. And if you see the games it really isn't that difficult to see why.

As Tony began to decline and he stopped being the focal point of the offense, his weaknesses started to become more obvious as an off-ball player, namely his lack of shooting and tendency to overdribble a bit.

Yes, he is still by far the best ballhandler of the team and a better pick and roll player than his backup point guards but that doesn't make up for those other huge weaknesses on today's NBA.

And against the Warriors he is specially ineffective because of the impossibility of being hide on defense. That's why I think the whole point forward thing that the OP brings is something worth exploring. But instead of Gay, I was thinking more of Anderson.

Are you telling me that a lineup of Anderson, Green, Kawhi, Gay/Bertans and Aldridge to finish off games against the Warriors isn't an interesting proposition?
    1. Advanced metrics are laughable

2. Parker needs to be on the floor to dictate pace

3. Yes that is a fun lineup

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn i want to see this lineup when we go small in the playoffs:

5 LA
    4 Kyle
    3 Gay
    2 Kawhi
    1 anyone

This is a BIG small ball lineup. Kawhi would FEAST at the 2. Rudy would do his thing. Kyle can hold his own. Then you got the old LA back. Really intriguing possibilities! Rudy Gay has changed the whole dynamic of this team with the possibility of this killer lineup.

Thread Information