Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he would become the first player to win the le in 3 different decades:

The 1990s (1999)
    The 2000's (2003,2005,2007)
    The 2010's (?)

I've looked for others that were eligible on Wikipeida and NBA.com and can't find a "3-decade winner" but it is possible I've missed a non-star.

Trivia, yes, but it would be a cool symbol of Tim's continued excellence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Salley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more importantly, if he gets 1 more championship, he instantly becomes clearly and undisputed better than Shaq and Kobe. Making him the Best in his generation. and probably top 5 best player in history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, you're right. I stand...er...sit, corrected.

Of course, TIm could still become the first to win a FINALS MVP in 3 different decades.
    Last edited by BillMc; 01-02-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he would become the first player to win the le in 3 different decades:

The 1990s (1999)
    The 2000's (2003,2005,2007)
    The 2010's (?)

I've looked for others that were eligible on Wikipeida and NBA.com and can't find a "3-decade winner" but it is possible I've missed a non-star.

Trivia, yes, but it would be a cool symbol of Tim's continued excellence.

waiting for a Mavs fan or a disgruntled Spurs fan to start ting a brick and dropping Wiki-quotes about this point being moot for two more years so that the 2011-2012 season can be argued as the first season neither start nor end in the debatable starting/ending year of the decade(2010)!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more importantly, if he gets 1 more championship, he instantly becomes clearly and undisputed better than Shaq and Kobe. Making him the Best in his generation. and probably top 5 best player in history.
    Duncan is already top 5.

He has accomplished more than Bird or Wilt.

That leaves only MJ, Jabbar, Magic, and Russell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, but he's already ahead of Shaq and Kobe in my (obviously biased) opinion:

Shaq 3 les as alpha dog, 1 as sidekick
    Kobe 1 le as alpha dog, 3 as sidekick
    Tim 4 les as alpha dog!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan would cement himself as #7 all-time with a possibility to be #6 with another ring IMO..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, but he's already ahead of Shaq and Kobe in my (obviously biased) opinion:

Tim 4 les as alpha dog!
    Yeah, well I don't think you can call Kobe, one of the greatest ever, a sidekick. If shaq didn't have kobe, they wouldn't have one squat.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    waiting for a Mavs fan or a disgruntled Spurs fan to start ting a brick and dropping Wiki-quotes about this point being moot for two more years so that the 2011-2012 season can be argued as the first season neither start nor end in the debatable starting/ending year of the decade(2010)!
    nah, we will just claim that 1999 was half a ring.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, well I don't think you can call Kobe, one of the greatest ever, a sidekick. If shaq didn't have kobe, they wouldn't have one squat.
    I agree that he wasn't a sidekick in 2001 and 2002, however he was in 2000, as even Laker fans would admit..Shaq was the undisputed best player on those teams though, anybody that watched the NBA at the time can see(not saying you didn't watch the NBA at the time, in case you think I'm taking a shot at you, since I usually do in RJ arguments)..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tim 4 les as alpha dog!

Sorry, I usually refrain from what-if scenarios but this one is fun because it's hope that Duncan can get an indisputable, public claim of excellence. There's too much lame debate about Duncan being average or the best power forward ever. Or Shaq, Duncan, or Kobe... or does 1999 count??... etc

I'd really like to see Duncan get several les before he retires, obviously. and of course I'm biased enough to want tangible proof that he's a superior champion compared to Shaq/Kobe....but this is just much too much to start thinking about once we start qualifying the les. If Duncan wins a le three years from now(2013) it will still add up to 5 but there's no way of telling for sure that Kobe and Shaq won't win one as well. And I really doubt that Duncan will be an alpha dog in even two years from now. I hope I'm wrong. I'm only saying I don't believe it because it seems natural that he'll continue to experience physical decline. Timmy is a warrior and I don't doubt that will play against pain. I bet he's playing against a decent amount of pain right now. And he's proven to play in extreme pain in the past-2005 Finals, all of 2006. I just think that it's acceptable human nature to be 35 and incapable of willing yourself to alpha dog Tim Duncan caliber play.

All things considered, I'm sorry but this is a bit too complicated of a what-if scenario. It's nice to daydream about but way too premature to seriously consider
    -------------------------------------------

BUT I will say that if Duncan does win another le, regardless of the Shaq/Kobe debate analysts will make a point to distinguish his three decades of championships from John Salley's. John Salley can claim that he won 4 les during a span of 2 millenniums, but no one's really gonna hold that over Duncan's achievements.

People will say, "Tim Duncan the only player to be the franchise player of a championship team in 3 different decades"

or,
    "Tim Duncan, winner of 5(6, 7?) championship, and the only player ever to win championships with the same team in 3 Different Decades"

Of course if that le comes this season then some gay Lakers "fan" will come [trying to] "reigning" on everyone's parade and saying that it's not true because this season started in 2009, part of last decade. Or that a decade doesn't start till year 1(2011).

And when you call them a , they'll come up with some crap like 2011 doesn't even count because based on the aforementioned(not that they'd use such a word) theory the 2011 season starts in 2010 which still qualifies it for the previous decade.

AND WHEN YOU STILL call them a got and point out that their theory invalidates their claim of dynasty status because the 3-peat started in 1999-2000 therefore disqualifying them from "team of the decade" they'll get all snippy and tell you that Duncan is boring and the 1999 le should have an asterix(they'll spell it that way)

See you just can't start the claims of grandeur. You just open the door for Fakers of all nations to come knocking with just as biased(yet clearly more moronic) evaluations proving their team's superiority.

Trust me, I'm on your side. But God willing, we do win another le or more, if you feel tempted to advertise Duncan's excellence, you can remember that you won't need to. Why bother setting yourself up to engage in an annoying argument with a Fakers Lan? Rest assured that I and any other basketball mind recognize Duncan for the greatness he truly accomplished.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, we will just claim that 1999 was half a ring.

Whatever, Mavs are/have been a solid team but at least Spurs don't waste their opportunities....yes you humiliated us in 2006 but you blew it. YOU BLEW IT.

You can waste time(which I won't cause I'm not a lame Mavs fan) debating whether 1999 counts as a half a ring OR

You can spend a few seconds acknowledging indisputable facts:

-Mavs, the only Western Conference team to let Kobe drop 62 points on them in only 3 quarters

-2007 Mavs, the only team with the NBA MVP, Dirk Nowitzki, to get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs!

-2007 Mavs, the only #1 seeded team to be eliminated in the first round in a best-of-7 series.

Where have the Mavs been since then? You beat us last year, only to get face ed by the Nuggets. I don't know the exact count, but how few teams are there that go ahead 2-0 in the Finals and blow it in four straight losses? These are facts. Splitting hairs is lame. Waste of time, and in the Mavs case, a waste of money. You'd think the league only gives bad calls to the Mavs with the amount of protests they submit... Some may argue that the Spurs 1999 championship is half a ring. But no one can argue that the Mavs have 0.00000001 of a ring.

-sigh- I actually referred to "a Mavs fan" in my reply to the OP because there was a recent debate on the board about what defines a "decade". A disgruntled Spurs fan crossed Wiki-swords with a Mavs fan and it was humorous because the Mavs fans temporarily burned the Spurs fan. Both were right, both were wrong. It was a pointless argument. And my allusion to it was in no way a knock on Mavs fans but since you had to challenge the 1999 le I had to fire back with something more powerful than a round of blanks.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Whatever, Mavs are/have been a solid team but at least Spurs don't waste their opportunities....yes you humiliated us in 2006 but you blew it. YOU BLEW IT.

You can waste time(which I won't cause I'm not a lame Mavs fan) debating whether 1999 counts as a half a ring OR

-Mavs, the only Western Conference team to let Kobe drop 62 points on them in only 3 quarters

-2007 Mavs, the only team with the NBA MVP, Dirk Nowitzki, to get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs!

-2007 Mavs, the only #1 seeded team to be eliminated in the first round in a best-of-7 series.

Where have the Mavs been since then? You beat us last year, only to get face ed by the Nuggets. I don't know the exact count, but how few teams are there that go ahead 2-0 in the Finals and blow it in four straight losses? These are facts. Splitting hairs is lame. Waste of time, and in the Mavs case, a waste of money. You'd think the league only gives bad calls to the Mavs with the amount of protests they submit... Some may argue that the Spurs 1999 championship is half a ring. But no one can argue that the Mavs have 0.00000001 of a ring.

-sigh- I actually referred to "a Mavs fan" in my reply to the OP because there was a recent debate on the board about what defines a "decade". A disgruntled Spurs fan crossed Wiki-swords with a Mavs fan and it was humorous because the Mavs fans temporarily burned the Spurs fan. Both were right, both were wrong. It was a pointless argument. And my allusion to it was in no way a knock on Mavs fans but since you had to challenge the 1999 le I had to fire back with something more powerful than a round of blanks.
    woah woah I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I was joking.

oops

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    woah woah I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I was joking.

oops
    damn, seriously? Ok, well then I'm sorry. My bad. I didn't think a Mavs fan on a Spurs board would be tongue-in-cheek. It is funny thinking that you're mocking your own fanbase. It's probably even funnier seeing me go postal about it.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

Even Kobe riders can't deny this.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    damn, seriously? Ok, well then I'm sorry. My bad. I didn't think a Mavs fan on a Spurs board would be tongue-in-cheek. It is funny thinking that you're mocking your own fanbase. It's probably even funnier seeing me go postal about it.....
    hahaha it's all good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if duncan wins 1 more le, he wont be top 5 ever, ppl cant get over themselves to put him ahead of guys like bird + magic who is rank like 5-6 on most ppls top10 lists who dominated the 80s, then again shaq and duncan dominated the 00s, how come they dont get the same recognition like bird/magic?

guys like duncan, shaq, kobe and maybe lebron one day if he wins enough, highest those players could get is 7th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And they did not humiliate us in 06 that was a phatom call on Manu, that should have been where they blew the big series lead when they we're up 3-1 and really did lose without that bull call. Then last year we were so banged. No point really in including mavs in an argument cause they've not earned the righ to be part of it.

Der Führer!
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan would have Finals MVP's in three different decades if he had as much help as Kobe and LeBron. Amazing how the media always claims those two "superstars" need more help, yet they've never said that about Duncan but he never played in a big market with big time trades.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a shame because Duncan was 28 seconds away from his fifth ring and most likely a fourth finals MVP which would clearly break him away from Shaq/Kobe.

As it is today:

I really feel he is second only to MJ and I can agree he is behind Kareem. Wilt/Russell's era was hard to compare. Russell had a completely stacked team playing against inferior compe ion because of the way league was structured. Wilt lacked the rings to compete with other all time greats. On most "official" rankings, Duncan would be ranked behind Magic/Bird but I think it is completely BS. They played in huge markets with deep budgets and Parish/Mchale, Kareem/Worthy, all four of them were among the all-time greats.

Duncan has . . . 28th pick and 47th pick to team with. No offense to Parker/Ginobili, but they are not comparable to the teammates other three times and up champions's had. Duncan also plays for one of the smallest market teams with smallest budgets. Dallas was able to overpower him on a couple of years with Cuban's sheet will to spend (although he trimmed it down right after he finally got the ring he wanted). I haven't cried in a decade but I almost came to tears when they lost that 5 point lead with 28 seconds left. It would have been pure poetic justice and Lebron would never be able to compare to Duncan.

But now most official media will rank Jordan/Kareem/Magic/Bird ahead of Duncan. If they like dinosaurs they will rank Wilt/Russell ahead of him too. Shaq/Kobe will be right in the in his class. Lebron will most likely be in front of him and it all came down to Allen's 3 point shot. The shot that altered Duncan's historical rankings from top 5 or even top 3 down to top 10. It also saved Lebron's career. No single shot has anywhere near the same impact. It was truly amazing and unfortunately Lebron had god with him that night.
    Last edited by hitmantb; 07-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Pop (again)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron is the best basketball player of all time and he blocked Splitter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron is the best basketball player of all time and he blocked Splitter.
    I think the majority of posters on here could block Splitter.

Thread Information