Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reparations bill tests Biden and Harris on racial justice

President Joe Biden supports the idea behind the bill. Vice President Kamala Harris endorsed it during her time in the Senate. But that might not be enough to get a proposal to study reparations for slavery to Biden's desk this Congress.

Despite the enormity of the task behind the legislation known as H.R. 40 — named for the "40 acres and a mule" that has come to symbolize the post-Civil War government's failure to help formally enslaved people — the bill has new political momentum since its last introduction in 2019, when the GOP controlled the White House and Senate. The nationwide protests last summer following George Floyd’s killing have raised public awareness of racial injustice and kick-started a national conversation that advocates for a reparations dialogue see as valuable.

What no one knows yet is how committed the White House is to the specific House legislative vehicle, which has been introduced in every Congress for more than three decades and would establish a commission of experts to study direct payments to African Americans. The Senate introduced a companion bill for the first time during the 116th Congress, prompting a number of presidential candidates — including then-California Sen. Harris — to throw their support behind it.

Biden supported the idea of a reparations study during his own 2020 presidential bid but stopped short of fully endorsing the legislation itself. His administration is not testifying at a Wednesday hearing in a House Judiciary Committee subpanel on the reparations measure, but House Democratic efforts to put the issue back on the party's agenda could nudge the White House to take a more direct position.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ns-bill-469165

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pity post.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no pity posts when you're looking for attention at 3:30, derp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK-related fun fact:

There were no reparations to enslaved people in Britain, but compensation was paid to slaveowners when slavery was outlawed there in 1837. The amount paid was equivalent to 40% of annual GDP at the time.

The last obligations of Britain to the desdcendants of those slaveowners weren't fully paid off until 2015. If the Exchecquer hadn't tweeted about it, we might not ever have known the obligation was satisfied so recently.

https://www.taxjustice.net/2020/06/0...k-questions/no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How would this work? Pay them on a weekly basis or lump sum? Seems like a great way to go bankrupt as a country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black folk?

Im ok with giving each black.person 100k tbqh

I dont see anything wrong with reparations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if that happens the american indians need to get at least 250k per head. This is their land after a and they were genocined by us

Its one thing to enslave a ppl. Another to absolutely kill every single one of them mfers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How would this work? Pay them on a weekly basis or lump sum? Seems like a great way to go bankrupt as a country.
    Good question, the 2015 payments were bond payments. I don't know how all the payments were structured, I just found out about this.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black folk?

Im ok with giving each black.person 100k tbqh

I dont see anything wrong with reparations.
    Based on 23 and me I am 4 % sub-Saharan African.
    do I qualify?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We treated blacks like slaves.

We treated american indians like a bug infestation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if that happens the american indians need to get at least 250k per head. This is their land after a and they were genocined by us

Its one thing to enslave a ppl. Another to absolutely kill every single one of them mfers
    You should see the recent German offer to the descendants of the Nama and Herero in Namibia. Insulting.

And it didn't even come with an apology.

https://www.dw.com/en/namibia-german...ons/a-54535589
    https://www.ushmm.org/collections/bi...-nama-genocide

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You would also need to rework how the native Americans coopted, killed, and drove each other out of territory.
    Spain, the Dutch, Portugal etc... also need to be involved in payments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We treated blacks like slaves.

We treated american indians like a bug infestation
    uhhhh....

we basically kidnapped blacks and floated them over here.
    And they died on boats. Lots of them died on boats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can of worms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Access to capital, property and power is hindered to this day. African-Americans have never had the chance to compete on an equal footing in the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo it requires a ton of historical work.
    I would start later with Johnson taking back black farms after the Civil War.
    This was a huge economic disaster for blacks. The thing they were very well versed in got taken.
    Immediate economic hole to dig out of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would trigger derp, bigly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A road to generational success and some actual community development and funding in the impoverished areas where blacks are most aligned would do so much more than reparations would. Dunno why actually enhancing their dreadful surroundings to try and put the entire race on the same standing is so hard to fathom, even for the biggest faux moralist, white-guilt supporter.

Giving money to people who live in the s isn't going to help change the fact they live in the s and since no whitey gives a about the they live in, this is just another well-intended, poorly-thought bill that puts a band-aid on the overall inequity issue in this country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A road to generational success and some actual community development and funding in the impoverished areas where blacks are most aligned would do so much more than reparations would. Dunno why actually enhancing their dreadful surroundings to try and put the entire race on the same standing is so hard to fathom, even for the biggest faux moralist, white-guilt supporter.

Giving money to people who live in the s isn't going to help change the fact they live in the s and since no whitey gives a about the they live in, this is just another well-intended, poorly-thought bill that puts a band-aid on the overall inequity issue in this country.
    I broadly agree with your emphasis on public investment, but money helps a lot. African Americans are still getting screwed by banks, appraisers and real-estate agents.

How do you get capital to ac ulate assets and pass wealth to your descendants if your skin tint makes the gatekeepers wary or makes them impose higher initial and ongoing costs to *certain* applicants?

The less you have, the less you get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But when corps are arbitrarily deemed 'too big to fail', we trip over our own s to hand them whatever money they want/need. We didn't think twice about that can of worms for some reason.

Here we had 100 years of slavery, plus almost 150 years to think about it, and we still have reservations?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I broadly agree with your emphasis on public investment, but money helps a lot. African Americans are still getting screwed by banks, appraisers and real-estate agents.

How do you get capital to ac ulate assets and pass wealth to your descendants if your skin tint makes the gatekeepers wary or makes them impose higher initial and ongoing costs to *certain* applicants?

The less you have, the less you get.

I understand seed money is necessary, but the investment should be sound and have infrastructure to make giving money to (statistical truth) under educated folks who are proven to not be fundamentally sound with their finances, and that is nothing to do with them as it is with whitey's denial of basic financial rights and even financial education. If there's no structure and education, it's just stupid to give money to the ignorant. Whitey will just get it all back and nothing will change in the black community.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand seed money is necessary, but the investment should be sound and have infrastructure to make giving money to (statistical truth) under educated folks who are proven to not be fundamentally sound with their finances, and that is nothing to do with them as it is with whitey's denial of basic financial rights and even financial education. If there's no structure and education, it's just stupid to give money to the ignorant. Whitey will just get it all back and nothing will change in the black community.
    You should read up on recent UBI experiments in Finland and California. One time stipends have also been shown to have been effective getting homeless people housed and employed. Does money become ineffective for personal stability at higher levels of income? That's certainly not my experience.

The cliche that throwing money at problems won't solve them might be just that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Slavery was genocide too. Something like 1/3 of slaves died on the ships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slavery was genocide too. Something like 1/3 of slaves died on the ships.
    A whole bunch got worked to death too. Sugar plantations were probably the worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    40 acres and a mule

Thread Information