Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been 4/5 years since I made my comments about all length lineups and the then upcoming devaluation of traditional PG's and C's.
    Have been following the NBA closely these years but have spent most of my time building startups.

The NBA is going to have an iden y crisis soon. The way they have designed the league, it is becoming less diversified despite the game becoming more global. How many Chinese players have entered since Yao? When you run a rule set that encourages 6'7 players with 7'3 wingspans, you will have monolithic athlete types where Tony Snell gets drafted just because he looks like Kawhi and Giannis' brothers get a chance because they are tall and long also.

As advanced stats prac ioners like Hinkie and Morey have caught up to this thought process and begun executing the plan, you've seen a geneity developing in the NBA that if left unchanged will ruin this sport in the years to come. Carmelo for as much flack as we give him, is forced to play basketball like a 24 year old 3 and D player because quite frankly all 5 positions must now play 3 and D. That will get boring real fast.

This is why Greg Popovich hates the three pointer. It's not because he's old school. It's because he is a visionary and sees the crisis coming.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...er-embrace-it/

The solution to this is not moving the three point line back or putting in a 4 pointer. That would make it worse. It would further require longer wingspan players as they'd have to cover an even further apart surface area (near the rim, and even farther beyond the line). Football, Hockey, Soccer, have broad appeal because they designed their ruleset to encourage the offence to attack the defence. A goal is a goal no matter where you score from and a touchdown is a touchdown no matter where you throw from. This encourages concentrated action near the goal line / goal which sparks physical compe ion instead of this 3 ball dart throwing which is more similar to penalty kicks and field goals. Gimmicks. Without the 3 point line, we would see a greater genetic diversity of players like before with Wilt / Russell / Kareem / Yao contrasting to Bob Cousy, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Pete Maravich.

The entire surface area of around 30 feet from the hoop would be in play as all shots count the same rather than just at the rim and just around this made up 22-23 foot line. This would inspire a renaissance in creativity with floaters, fades, cuts, picks, and passes.

I am hopeful either the NBA adopts this change or we will see a new challenger that goes retro on the rule set.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nope

You gonna watch Lasoft, Derozanus and Rudy got shooting inefficient iso midrange fadeaways all season long and you gonna love it.

Lets's call it "The Beautiful Game 2.0"

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i propose the 4 pt shot because thats whats exciting nowadays and halfcourt shots are 5 pts.

Mods ruined spurstalk!!!! Walter Donovan's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I propose we get rid of the 2 point shot OP. You only score points if you shoot from beyond the 3-point line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just make it where it actually is a high risk/reward scenario, as it was intended to be. It was once basketball's Hail Mary play. Move the line back to like 40 feet. A good league wide 3 point average should be in the range of 20-25% for balance purposes. We're all yelling out clouds, though. The NBA found its formula.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just make it where it actually is a high risk/reward scenario, as it was intended to be. It was once basketball's Hail Mary play. Move the line back to like 40 feet. A good league wide 3 point average should be in the range of 20-25% for balance purposes. We're all yelling out clouds, though. The NBA found its formula.
    Yea, I don't see it changing. I actually think this helps mitigate athleticism; Spurs shouldn't be complaining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with OP 100% but also agree the NBA isn't changing anytime soon. As long as they're making loads of cash, why rock the boat?

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Move it back 2-3 feet. Problem solved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not broke. So why fix it? NBA is a business and it's growing exponentially

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they should get rid of hand checking fouls outside of the 3point line, as it has become too hard to defend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope

You gonna watch Lasoft, Derozanus and Rudy got shooting inefficient iso midrange fadeaways all season long and you gonna love it.

Lets's call it "The Beautiful Game 2.0"
    Because Lebron is a knock down 3pt shooter

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I propose we get rid of the 2 point shot OP. You only score points if you shoot from beyond the 3-point line.
    Isn't that what we have now?

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are salty Warriors keep beating Lebron, who they only root for because they hate Kobe.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I like the three point shot. I disagree, OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by Stabula; 08-21-2018 at 04:00 AM.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Isn't that what we have now?
    No. As of right now, players can still score 2-pointers inside the 3-point line. My proposal would eliminate that.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    No. As of right now, players can still score 2-pointers inside the 3-point line. My proposal would eliminate that.
    He's joking...

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Joking about what?

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    He's saying no one shoots 2's anymore, just 3's, which metaphorically is true.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He's saying no one shoots 2's anymore, just 3's, which metaphorically is true.
    False. Lots of players still dunk and shoot lay-ups. Those are 2-point shots and NOT 3-point shots.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be cool to see the rules adjusted and guys like Boban be able to get court time again. The three and D thing is getting a bit ridiculous. The game is suffering from a dearth of variety in play strategy.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    False. Lots of players still dunk and shoot lay-ups. Those are 2-point shots and NOT 3-point shots.
    You don't have an ounce of sarcasm in your bones, do you?

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    You don't have an ounce of sarcasm in your bones, do you?
    Sarcasm with respect to what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's called H.O.R.S.E.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i propose the 4 pt shot because thats whats exciting nowadays and halfcourt shots are 5 pts.
    Why don't we limit the amount of 3s that can count per game. After making 10, then they all count as 2. Definitely would bring more strategy to the game.

Thread Information