Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone mentions that Dave never won a ring without Tim, but I'd say there really can't be any real argument until Tim can win without Dave.

I'd have paid good money to sit in on practices back then where Tim and Dave would go head to head to see who was better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Cassell was an all-star all of 1 time, last year. David Robinson got to play with an all-star too you know, Sean Elliot, Dennis Rodman and Terry mings too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget Moses Malone...

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say that the Spurs definitely have better perimeter D now than they did then. But the Admiral OWNED the paint on every defensive possession before he got hurt. I think Whottt mentioned seeing him block three shots in a row . . . I saw that too, more than once. Only Hakeem was in the same category at the time.
    I remember that 3-blocks-in-1 masterpiece...I just don't remember who it was against.

My favorite highlight (and a real measure of the kind of athlete he was on BOTH sides of the court) is one from (I think) his rookie year...he blocks a shot, one of the Spurs guards picks it up and races downcourt on the break...DRob outruns him down the middle, gets the pass from the guard on the fly (literally!) and flushes it home at full speed. His body was damn near horizontal as it swung underneath the rim after the flush.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious what 2 all star guards did hakeem play with in 94-95, since you mentioned the other guard who would become an all-star.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious what 2 all star guards did hakeem play with in 94-95, since you mentioned the other guard who would become an all-star.

Sam Cassell...was the one who would become one...

Clyde Drexler would be the one that was one...

Furthermore...if you are looking for an AS guard Drob played with, in an attempt to make a totally unrelated claim that AJ and Vinny were a good enough guard combo to win an NBA le with, when it meant taking out the defneding champions...

Try Dale Ellis.

Yeah I know he wasn't there that year...but since you didn't understand any other part of the point I was trying to make...I figured what the , why try and explain it, let's go with it.

AJ > Magic Johnson
    Vinny > MJ

Anything else?

Oh yeah...Duncan could have won an NBA le without Drob, as long as he had AJ.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    LeBron is better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1990: West Conf Semis (4-3): Portland Trail Blazers over San Antonio Spurs
    59-23, Finished 2nd in NBA Pacific Division 56-26, Finished 1st in NBA Midwest Division
    1991: West Conf 1st Rd (3-1): Golden State Warriors over San Antonio Spurs
    44-38, Finished 4th in Pacific Division 55-27, Finished 1st in NBA Midwest Division
    1992: West Conf 1st Rd (3-0): Phoenix Suns over San Antonio Spurs
    53-29, Finished 3rd in NBA Pacific Division 47-35, Finished 2nd in NBA Midwest Division
    1993: West Conf Semis (4-2): Phoenix Suns over San Antonio Spurs
    62-20, Finished 1st in NBA Pacific Division 49-33, Finished 2nd in NBA Midwest Division
    1994: West Conf 1st Rd (3-1): Utah Jazz over San Antonio Spurs
    53-29, Finished 3rd in NBA Midwest Division 55-27, Finished 2nd in NBA Midwest Division
    1995: West Conf Finals (4-2): Houston Rockets over San Antonio Spurs
    47-35, Finished 3rd in NBA Midwest Division 62-20, Finished 1st in NBA Midwest Division
    1996: West Conf Semis (4-2): Utah Jazz over San Antonio Spurs
    55-27, Finished 2nd in NBA Midwest Division 59-23, Finished 1st in NBA Midwest Division

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You point? That Hakeem took it off in the regular season? That Drob carried teams better? I already knew that.

Tell me...when the Rockets had both AJ and Kenny Smith...which one did they keep? Which one did they boot the out of town?

It would have been nice if Drob had back up PGs coming off the bench and dropping 30 on the Rockets when they tried to double him...unfortunately, Drob didn't even have a starting PG that could score that much, ever, in the regular season, or in the playoffs,...he had the guy that gives up 30 points to back up PG's...

I know, I know, Drob was supposed to guard Cassell...while he was guarding Hakeem. AJ was doing his part...he was being bossy while getting worked the off the court...what AJ did best.
    Last edited by whottt; 12-06-2004 at 12:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why I do not understand why they were not as dominant as a team defensively as they are now. Was their backcourt/swingman defense atrocious compared to today's perimeter D?
    coaching

Pop stresses from day one that you play defense first, you play HIS defensive system, or you don't play at all...I personally think that is the biggest difference.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob, hands down. An athletic freak show, better defender in his prime, and his offensive game was just as complete as Duncan's, except maybe for the crazy ass glass skills.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pick TD as the better overall player. Would our le chances be greater with an in his prime DRob on todays squad instead of TD? It's debateable, but I don't think so. And visions of Hakeem in '95 still hurt. Even so, it's a tough choice...both are eventual Hall of Famers and #1 and #1a on Spurs Top Player list.

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is twice the player that Robinson was.

D-Rob couldn't play with his back to the basket and couldn't shoot anything outside a midrange jumper. He also couldn't finish to save his life.

Robinson is definitely the better athlete of the two, I will give you that, but dont let sentiment get in your way when making the decision of who is better.

Duncan will be remembered as 1 of the top 10 players of all time. Robinson isn't in the top 25.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How on earth did Robinson manage a scoring le if his offensive game was as limited as you make it sound?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob, hands down. An athletic freak show, better defender in his prime, and his offensive game was just as complete as Duncan's, except maybe for the crazy ass glass skills.
    That's a little bit of a stetch. David was the better defender, but for all of this athleticism, his offensive game wasn't as complete as Duncan's. David had no quality back-to-the-basket moves in the post. He dominated with pure athleticism. He wasn't near as fundamentally sound offensively as some of the other top centers.

That's not a knock on him. He dominated by using his talent and athleticism, and there isn't anything wrong with that. But to claim that he was as offensively complete as Duncan is quite a reach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Wallace > Shaq
    Chauncey Billups > Kobe[/Weak ass Playoff logic]

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Wallace > Shaq
    Chauncey Billups > Kobe[/Weak ass Playoff logic]