Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF I were in charge of the FO, I would seriously consider putting a max in front of Ayton at 12:01... Either PHO matches (giving them horrible cap issues) or they don't and we get him (and he's likely worth the max we'd be putting in front of him). They only have 2 days to match now, so it's not that big of a deal to tie up our cap-space.

The problem is, they're a sure thing to match, and they’ll then be pissed off, and not rent our cap space for Saric. We can get some sort of asset for the rental, he’ll be well and healed and ready to play, and we can flip him for another asset at the deadline. We can play both ends like OKC, but not if we piss them off.
    Last edited by exstatic; 02-07-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If its not a center or a power forward we don't need it. We can't even play all our guards as it is let alone signing some in free agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, they're a sure thing to match, and they’ll then be pissed off, and not rent our cap space for Saric. We can get some sort of asset for the rental, he’ll be well and healed and ready to play, and we can flip him for another asset at the deadline. We can play both ends like OKC, but not if we piss them off.
    Obviously, I am not as sure as you are that they will match... Also, even if they get PO'ed and don't want to deal with us after, there are plenty of other teams we can rent the cap-space to. Cap space is of very limited use if you won't try to make a play when you have it. Ayton is pretty much the only guy this FA that fits the combo of a) we could potentially get and b) is actually worth putting a max in front of. If you don't try, you will never succeed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people don't want Collins because he's overpaid, even though he'd be a perfect fit, but they'd offer $200 million to Ayton even though his range isn't much better than Jakob's.

Amazing.
    Last edited by LeBowen; 02-07-2022 at 03:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    25 million for a staring level, possible all star potential PF is not that bad at all. People act like the cap is still 60 million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, I am not as sure as you are that they will match... Also, even if they get PO'ed and don't want to deal with us after, there are plenty of other teams we can rent the cap-space to. Cap space is of very limited use if you won't try to make a play when you have it. Ayton is pretty much the only guy this FA that fits the combo of a) we could potentially get and b) is actually worth putting a max in front of. If you don't try, you will never succeed.
    You’re kind of in denial, then. They’re not going to let him go for nothing. Even if they don’t want to pay him long term, they’ll match, and then explore trades over the next year or so.

Trade for Saric, play him next season because he will be healthy, leverage assets on both ends of the deal by flipping him at the deadline next year, and pick their pocket of Jalen Smith.

You can even pressure them into a Saric trade, because it clogs a chunk of our cap room, ending the possibility of one team dropping an offer on Ayton. Might even get a better asset.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Hartenstein only makes sense if they bend over for the Raptors again (Poeltl). Otherwise, the backup C's should at least have a modi of stretch.

- Bryant would fit that mold, but I don't see any reason to pay him more than Collins, when they've already got the latter signed. Ditto for Boucher, who's 29.

- Portis has changed his reputation in recent years, though the Budenholzer intel would obviously have to play a role.

- Bamba probably could be had, but no way is he getting 4/$60M. Williams, Carter Jr., Holmes, Gafford are all better and have all recently inked extensions for significantly less.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-07-2022 at 06:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re kind of in denial, then. They’re not going to let him go for nothing. Even if they don’t want to pay him long term, they’ll match, and then explore trades over the next year or so.

Trade for Saric, play him next season because he will be healthy, leverage assets on both ends of the deal by flipping him at the deadline next year, and pick their pocket of Jalen Smith.

You can even pressure them into a Saric trade, because it clogs a chunk of our cap room, ending the possibility of one team dropping an offer on Ayton. Might even get a better asset.
    Why are you so obsessed/convinced we can rent cap for a first and Saric? There are a many hypothetical opportunities to rent cap space; that just is one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you so obsessed/convinced we can rent cap for a first and Saric? There are a many hypothetical opportunities to rent cap space; that just is one of them.
    Because he’s now USEFUL. As of next season, he’ll be able to play, and if you haven’t noticed, after Poeltl, our centers and PFs either suck, or are undersized. Rental AND a function. Most of the time, rentals are like Aminu or Hutchinson, someone who is useless, and you cut them. We probably can’t get a first for the rental, but we can make that up on the back end by flipping him at the deadline next year. If he plays well, we might pull a first on the back end.

Phoenix doesn’t WANT to get rid of him, they just won’t be able to afford him after Ayton gets paid. They were trying to offload him this season, but he was out for the year, and they couldn’t find any takers for a dead roster spot.

The best part is that he only makes $9.6M. Plenty of other cap room to rent or use.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Free agent class kinda sucks so will probably have to pay a lot for one year rentals -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Free agent class kinda sucks so will probably have to pay a lot for one year rentals -
    There are always teams wanting or even badly needing to get under the tax that will pay YOU to take a one year contract that may cost them 3X face value because of the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Q: What calls did you get from people in Seattle that stuck out?

Obviously the Jamal Crawford one, that was big because the whole relationship, the whole story behind me and him, and obviously him being a great and everybody looking up to him in the basketball world and. I think it's big because he's Rainier Beach alum and he's a legend, his name speaks for itself, you know what he's done on and off the floor, and obviously the whole world feels like he should have been an All-Star before for the great career he had. So this is for my community, this is for him. I told him, 'This is for us, you helped mold me into the person I am and on the basketball side,' so, that was a big one, but I think another big one was Zach LaVine. I could just, I could hear how happy he was and he was just like, 'Bro we there. I can't wait to take our picture,' like, just stuff like that. Because me and him are really close, we work out, we talk all the time, so this is huge for the city of Seattle. We've got a lot of up and coming, not just athletes, but everything in general, and this is big for the city.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update . . .

Locks or more than likely to return: Murray, Johnson, Vassell, McDermott, Collins, Primo, Langford, Jones, Bates-Diop.

Could go either way: Poeltl, Richardson, Landale, Wieskamp, Cacok.

Locks or unlikely to return: Walker IV (restricted), Satoransky.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s noteworthy that the Suns and Indy discussed an Ayton-Sabonis swap at the deadline (probably to start a discussion for the summer). Obviously that possibility is overtaken by events, but I do think PHX has reservation about maxing Ayton even though the smart money is on them doing it in the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s noteworthy that the Suns and Indy discussed an Ayton-Sabonis swap at the deadline (probably to start a discussion for the summer). Obviously that possibility is overtaken by events, but I do think PHX has reservation about maxing Ayton even though the smart money is on them doing it in the end.
    They’re not going to let him go for nothing. They’ll match, and then trade if they’re not comfortable paying him.

They’re not going to let him go for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every time there is an RFA, this board just makes the assumption that we should extend an offer and when it doesn’t materialize it is assumed we didn’t extend one… but it isn’t just a matter of us extending an offer… the player has to sign it. Isn’t it possible we tried to talk to John Collins last summer but his agent told us thanks but no thanks?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not going to let him go for nothing. They’ll match, and then trade if they’re not comfortable paying him.

If I were that confident they'd match I'd sign him quickly then....make them match.....my only reservation is I'd be afraid they wouldn't match.... I hate to be stuck with him for the max.... like I said...I'm not as confident as you are that they'd match...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea where to put this without starting a new thread but, Wieskamp dropped 30 in Austin tonight...

I put it here because it 'might' effect FA....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea where to put this without starting a new thread but, Wieskamp dropped 30 in Austin tonight...

I put it here because it 'might' effect FA....
    affect

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...op-tier-player

Ideal free agent acquisition but I don’t think there is even a remote possibility.

Thread Information