Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really like Castle at 4. Im not a Dillingham fan at all but at 8 I won’t hate it (though, i probably lean Topic personally if still there).

Btw I was shocked to learn the Dillingham weighed less than BONES Hyland did at his draft. People want to look the other way, but he will be a huge project if selected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're flexible enough the 4th pick works out for you in any scenario.

(1.) Sarr (2.) Clingan/Dillingham (3.) Sheppard = drops Castle/Risacher to SA

(1.) Sarr (2.) Castle (3.) Risacher = drops Sheppard/Dillingham to SA

(1.) Risacher (2.) Dillingham/Castle (3.) Sheppard = drops Sarr to SA
    Last edited by heyheymymy; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:53 AM. Reason: formatting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love the Castle/Dillingham combo unless a Vassell or at least a Jones trade is in the future. That combo might work well together, but combined with Devin, Tre, Malaki and Blake, it's an awkward rotation. I know this was ass-pull logic from me, but in the event of a Castle pick, I feel like chasing an established combo-guard to co-run the bench with him makes more sense than drafting a pure PG. Castle/Monk is a good switchable combo, for example. I don't love committing to such a young guard rotation. They need a vet presence to help mold them, just as I think the wings and centers could use that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're flexible enough the 4th pick works out for you in any scenario.

(1.) Sarr, (2.) Clingan/Dillingham, (3.) Sheppard = drops Castle/Risacher to SA

(1.) Sarr, (2.) Castle, (3.) Risacher = drops Sheppard/Dillingham to SA

(1.) Risacher, (2.) Dillingham, (3.) Sheppard = drops Sarr to SA
    Or at ATL would say

(1.) Who cares?, (2.) Who/Cares?, (3.) Seriously, who cares? = Edey to SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Castle is the pick at 4, it's because the team thinks he's the PG of the future.

I'm good with Castle being the pick but I don't taking Dillingham at #8. I'd rather just go with Saluan at that spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Castle is the pick at 4, it's because the team thinks he's the PG of the future.

I'm good with Castle being the pick but I don't taking Dillingham at #8. I'd rather just go with Saluan at that spot.
    I share this view. Castle IS the PG pick if taking at 4, even if he’s not the day 1 starter. With 8 the wing or a trade down to take player that would be there at 15 or so.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs will play Castle at both the 1 and 2. They will like his versatility to be a combo guard and will be an additional selling point for them. This will still enable the Spurs to pick up a more traditional ball handling pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love the Castle/Dillingham combo unless a Vassell or at least a Jones trade is in the future. That combo might work well together, but combined with Devin, Tre, Malaki and Blake, it's an awkward rotation. I know this was ass-pull logic from me, but in the event of a Castle pick, I feel like chasing an established combo-guard to co-run the bench with him makes more sense than drafting a pure PG. Castle/Monk is a good switchable combo, for example. I don't love committing to such a young guard rotation. They need a vet presence to help mold them, just as I think the wings and centers could use that.
    Tre Jones shouldn't factor into any decisions. He can hold down the starting PG for another year or so, or he can be moved to the bench. He's very tradeable if it comes to that, too, and will get some attention. Devin Vassell isn't going anywhere. If you add a solid perimeter threat, he's going to get tons of looks.

Castle covers for Dillingham if you have them in the same lineup. If Dillingham never improves on D, there's a problem, but if you can grade him up at least a little, then they both work. Castle cuts, sets screens, can run advanced actions, sees link-ups. The offensive gravity that Wembanyama and Dillingham both provide could potentially -- potentially -- make a VW-Dilly-Castle-Vassell-Sochan lineup work. That's two currently poor shooters, but Wembanyama and Dillingham create so much advantage that a motion offense will be hard to handle. You only have one poor defender in the mix with three potentially exceptional defenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Salaun is not so crazy at 8

He moves better than Risacher, honestly. Like that high release on his shot. Going to be tough to block up there. His motor looks intense. Love the ball hawking with Salaun's 7'1 wingspan that leads to open court breaks. He would fit next to Wemby quite nicely and if Sochan can develop a remotely reliable shot the two would be a terror wing together.

And Salaun is younger than Risacher he won't turn 19 until after the draft.

I liked Salaun early on and got cold feet due to his rawness but he's appearing more interchangeable with Risacher than he probably should be. With the additional FRP conveying SA can afford a swing pick along with their lock so I'm sensing a Spursy curveball somewhat. Would still prefer a trade down to 14 but then again you might miss him there so 8 is a tad early but not too bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 6'6 player with a great defensive reputation should be able to guard point guards, shooting guards, and small forwards. So if the Spurs go Castle at 4 then my guess is he will play all three spots and give them line up flexibility. But that also depends on if he can get a respectable NBA jump shot. If the Spurs end up with two non-shooters in the lottery, then we can only assume they are "Failing for Flagg" next year because even Wemby in God mode is not enough to carry this team to the play-in without some outside shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. In your scenario, I’d take Buzelis at 4, 6’10 who can shoot and help defend. Then take any of Castle/Dilly/Reed or Topic at 8. One of them will be bound to be there, for Spurs starting PG of the future. Height and PG by the end of the day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle and Dillingham would be as close to perfect as it can get. But I doubt Dillingham (or Castle) will be there at 8, so I don’t see the Spurs being able to get both unless they trade up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was watching the long long Risacher video with makes and misses...and then the Salaun Highlights with only makes.

I'm a simple man...I want Salaun...NOW!

Are you not entertained? Davidicus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is that this draft is going to be a lot of fun to watch, especially as a Spurs fan. Would love to see every teams big board, they're probably all over the place. Expecting trades, surprise picks, etc., and waiting through 5-7 will be brutal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle and Dillingham would be as close to perfect as it can get. But I doubt Dillingham (or Castle) will be there at 8, so I don’t see the Spurs being able to get both unless they trade up
    Castle probaly won't be there at #8, but Dillingham most likely would.
    Detroit, Hornets and Blazers all have offense oriented point guards with questionable defense. They'd maybe consider taking Castle, but those three franchises are all in a bad position, I don't think there's a big chance they take Dillingham.
    Last edited by LeBowen; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Washington determines he’s a PG, I think they’ll take him there.
    If they start to think of him as a wing, the outlook is more unclear. Could see them falling in love with Holland through the pre-draft process for example.

I Love that this kid is a winner though. You see it in the UCONN highlights. He celebrates his teammates making winning plays effusively, be it a defensive stop or a precisely executed Offensive set. That’s a rare quality at his age. Seems like he’d be a great team-mate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingan going top 3 would be amazing for the Spurs regardless tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point guard might be a stretch for Castle, he played more of a Draymond/Gordon role in their tourney run. He does not really playmake out of ball screens, more stationary and high lows. I am leaning toward a connector wing, maybe a combo if his shooting just takes off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Mat Issa:

It seems like Stephon Castle is pretty dead set on playing point guard in the NBA.

Here is what he had to say when asked about how he would fit next to someone like Ja Morant:

“They have a star point guard in Ja Morant. I feel like I can fit on to any kind of team. I feel like my game is pretty flexible. I feel like I can play with any kind of guys in any kind of way. But I also feel like I made that sacrifice in college. Now, we’re talking about my career, and that’s something I take pride in. Now, I really want to play the one. So, that’s just something to think about.”

This in response to a question about Memphis. Provocatively stated, in a way, as if he's saying he doesn't want to go there. "Just something to think about." A low level threat, lol, or just badly stated.

I wonder if he's indicating the same to a team like Charlotte, where he's been heavily mocked and won't have the ball much in his hands. I think there are valid questions of whether he can run a team, or should, but he seems clear he wants to.

As for the Spurs, I think he can slot into the PG spot once he's ready, although the fit with Sochan is a concern. But then the Spurs run such varied sets that a single player doesn't need to be ball dominant and he would get plenty of chances to make primary and secondary actions. Will he really be asserting his preferences like this? What kind of expectations does he have in terms of usage?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knecht at 4 and Dillingham at 8 and I’m a happy guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The case for Castle is simple -- he's a winner, a skilled winner.

The template is the "Villanova guys" on the Knicks, winners. Perhaps basketball is a team sport and not just an amalgam of measurables.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle at 4 and Cody or Salaun at 8.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the Spurs fo being split on Castle or Topic at 4.

Hope the Castle side prevails.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that you see Castle as a wing, rather than a PG. This is how I see him and it’s precisely why his value drops for me. If they believe his shot can be fixed … we’ve said this so many times I can’t be bothered anymore.

I hate this draft and hope they trade at least one of the picks but then the value and offers might not be there.

In this specific scenario I’d go Sheppard at 4 and Cody Williams or Holland at 8.
    this tbh.. in fact, if castle is a wing, I don't see why anyone would invest in him at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with bum. The only situation where i think i feel comfortable taking a wing at 4 is if it’s Risacher. Yes I’m tempted to game theory it and bank on a point guard falling but the possibility of coming out of the draft without either Kentucky guard to me would be catastrophic. Yes we got the second pick but use that to come away with more talent not trying to leverage it in a situation that could backfire

Thread Information