This thread is to serve as a general guideline regarding SpursTalk.com.
1. Moderation - timvp (my husband LJ) and I are the owners and administrators of SpursTalk. Slomo and Mitja serve as adminstrators too but in a technical capacity - they don't get involved in moderating posts unless timvp and I aren't online. There's not a staff of 10-15 other moderators like other boards. I'm not taking applications for moderators (I'm not sure why anyone would want to be one). Sometimes posters are given temporary moderator power when LJ and I aren't around.
2. Profanity - Don't curse in the title of threads. Obviously there's no profanity filter on the board, but you don't need to go overboard within the posts either. We don't allow certain words that can be viewed as highly offensive (click here for the list). Posting such words, even derivatives of those words, is prohibited.
3. Banning - I don't like banning people. I don't get any power trip from the forum. It's just a message board and no one should take it that seriously. I'd rather you learn how to be relatively civil than ban you. I don't mind opposing viewpoints at all, but there are some offenses that could get you banned:
A. Attacks on fellow posters using personal information. It doesn't matter how you got the information. Just don't do it.
B. Posting a picture of a fellow poster. The only exception is if the poster put the picture on SpursTalk themselves. (Note: GTG picture threads do not fall under the exception and should not be posted on SpursTalk outside of the original thread.)
C. Banter about illegal activies. Even if it's done in a joking manner, we don't want that talk here.
D. Using the prohibited words linked above.
4. Deleting/Locking/Merging - Sometimes threads get deleted if it's blatant trolling. But most of the time a thread gets deleted is when it's repetitious. If you think your thread got deleted, it might have just got merged -- so look around. When I lock a thread, I usually leave an explanation. If you have further questions, you can PM. Again, starting another thread to ask why your thread get locked isn't the best method. Just PM me.
Also, when you start a thread, try to be descriptive in the thread title. Starting a thread with short titles like "So" or "Did you see" or anything such as this doesn't help anyone.
5. Being Lame - There are several things that I personally think are lame and don't like here:
A. Starting too many threads about topics not related to the Spurs in the Spurs forum. This is alright every once in a while, but shouldn't be all the time.
B. Starting threads about every thought that pops into your head without looking around to find a topic on the same subject. This is usually done by drama queen posters who need some attention.
C. Starting threads to call out trolls or opposing team's fans. If you want people to go away, it's best to ignore them. Hating all opposing fans is lame anyway.
D. City smack. There's bad things about every city. And yes, we know the River water is dirty.
E. Trashing one Spurs player to prop another. The "Manu vs Tony" threads are the prime example. You don't need to tear down one player to make another look good.
6. Images - To add an image to your post, put these tags around the URL - [ img ] [ /img ]. The image has to be uploaded somewhere and have a URL, it can't just be on your hard drive. (Take out the spaces) There's a tutorial here.
Do not post nudity and/or Porn.
7. YouTube - To embed a YouTube video just put [ youtube ] Video ID [ /youtube ]. The Video ID is the bolded part of the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FInsapjeY_M
To where it'd look like [ youtube ] FInsapjeY_M [ /youtube ]
(You need to remove the spaces.) There's a tutorial here.
8. Ignore List - Your control panel has lots of features that may interest you. You can put a poster you don't want to read on ignore. You can turn off signatures, etc.
8. Technical Questions - Post them here - http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48444 Someone will answer you within a day or two.
9. GTG (Get Together) - This is a viewing party of Spurs games. If I post a thread about an upcoming GTG, everyone is welcome - everyone! You don't have to PM me for permission.
10. vBookie - vBookie is fake betting. timvp and I set up vBookie bets throughout the week and you can place bets. At the end of the Spurs season, someone will be declared vBookie champion and win a real prize. Then everyone's vBookie dollars will be re-set. To find any open vBookie threads, click vBookie in the top navigation on the forum.
11. If you want access to the Troll Forum, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an autoresponder with the password. If you stay logged into the forum, you will only need to enter that password once.
12. Game Links - Don't ask for links to online broadcasts for the games, and don't post such links. These sites are breaking copyright laws by broadcasting them.
I try to be as lenient as possible. If you think I treat you poorly, you can either PM me and state your case or leave.
Thanks for being part of SpursTalk. Again, if you ever have problems, just PM me.