Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's been watching Philip. Pop might do it here and there but Philip does this pretty much every game.

It's bad for winning games and leads to alot of close calls but it's great for development of the new players to give them confidence down the road. It's gonna lead to some losses but those guys will be alot more useful in the Playoffs.

Pop's gotta integrate a bunch of new guys while developing a slew of young guys...and it's gotta be done by March.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of days off...hungry Utah team at home...yeah, things went about like I expected them to go. Today is a new day.

I agree with those that say it's time to put Mason back in the starting lineup. Actually, I was saying this before the Kings game. Hopefully Duncan is alright too. The last thing we need is any worries regarding his durability.

Looks like it will be a slow day for me in the Spurs forum, as I refuse to waste time posting in the the post loss garbage threads. I love this place, but that is one of the turn offs for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can't defend or get the defensive rebound, you are in trouble.

I'm concerned about Duncan and Gino's rustiness/lack of mobility. The younger guys on the team (Hill, Blair) must get going. Mason and Mahimi need to play more - Finley and Bonner less.

There is a serious lack of cohesiveness right now and if they don't get it figured out by game 20, a low seed and quick elimination may be coming again.

RJ and AM looked lost out there on defense as well. It's a long season and they will probably pick it up, but if Duncan and Ginobili play like they've played the first four games for an extended period of time, all the seemingly positive roster changes will not matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dice was so nonchalant
    Bonner sucks

Okur looked like Hakeem
    Boozer was Karlmalonesque

If we make those 2 guys look like HOF's, we have a problem

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to watch last night's game but i know a couple of things it is still early as . We have a lot of new faces trying to find their role. Also you have a VERY VERY hungry team in the jazz who had to win this game and were playing at home where they are really good. Another game tonight against another good opponent hopefully we can come away with this one if not we still have a long way to go in the season...GO SPURS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible game all the way around. Everyone put forth a lack luster effort on both offense and defense. Someone needs to tell RJ to forget the 3 point shot. Just take the ball to the hoop when you can. Earn your points from the paint or the FT line.

Tim has me worried. I saw the limping and I saw him dragging around the court quite a bit. I hope its just fatigue from the layoff.

Its going to take some time for the team to gel. McDyess looked awful too. Actually, everyone looked pretty bad. Tonight could be worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mahinmi should start we need his quickness and athleticism on the defensive side.
    I think the Spurs need to put Boggans on the IR and bring in one of the two 7 footers we have sitting on the IR right now. Both of those players will play better defense then Bonner. And Bonner is not making shots so he is killing us at both ends right now. I know that Mahimi nor Hailsip are going to be all-stars but at this point in the season why not give them some playing time and see if they can contribute.

They could not do any worse then Boggans and Bonner right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs need to put Boggans on the IR and bring in one of the two 7 footers we have sitting on the IR right now. Both of those players will play better defense then Bonner. And Bonner is not making shots so he is killing us at both ends right now. I know that Mahimi nor Hailsip are going to be all-stars but at this point in the season why not give them some playing time and see if they can contribute.

They could not do any worse then Boggans and Bonner right now.
    I don't think we have 7 footers in our roster. Mahinmi is listed at 6-11 and Haislip at 6-10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 Starters!!!!!!!!

Duncan looks god awful, when you are talking about his athleticism.. Not sure what is really his problem.. Maybe his knee is just not there for him anymore, and he has never been able to jump which is currently on display never the more evident than last night against Boozer.

Coaching staff needs to figure out a way to get others involved, because the one man show doesn't work......

Last crutch for this team appears to be REBOUNDING... Even in the Wins i notced that they would still have a problem... SPURS are still small up front and that needs to be addressed..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most problematic event from yesterday was seeing Duncan limp. This was actually NOT the first time I noticed an altered gate. I actually saw limping on the very first game. The other problems from yesterday, such as the bad defense, questionable starting lineup, and such, can be changed and improved as the season goes on. But an healthy Duncan is something that may never get better. I'm sorry for being a little pessimistic, but if we do not have a healthy Duncan, we have NO chance of winning the championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Mason needs to start ASAP. He fits perfectly in that role with the players surrounding him. I fail to understand why Pop started him at the start of this season. Mason already had a season under his belt, and he excelled last season.

I'm willing to let Bonner start for a few more games. McDyess is still too new the system and seems slow in picking up the new schemes, understandably so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SPURS should rethink their whole concept on defense.... They need to protect the basket, Bonner at Center is not the answer short term or long term...... He cant rebound due to who he plays, constantly away from the basket.... Not To mention his T-REX like arms......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner and Finley need to find their way to the end of the bench. Finley needs to go to the Steve Smith/Steve Kerr role of mentoring, and playing in certain matchups. Bonner just needs to go. When Matt's not making shots his worth to the team is zero because he can't rebound or play defense.

McDyess and Blair need Bonner's minutes and they need to work on their defense. I have high expectations for both of them.

George Hill is not capable of being this team's #2 point guard. Let me rephrase...he's capable if we like losing to teams like the Jazz. I like him as a backup 2 and a 3rd string point...again as a situational player.

Timmy's knee is scary.

Games like this make me miss Bruce. The D was horrible.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner and Finley need to find their way to the end of the bench. Finley needs to go to the Steve Smith/Steve Kerr role of mentoring, and playing in certain matchups. Bonner just needs to go. When Matt's not making shots his worth to the team is zero because he can't rebound or play defense.

McDyess and Blair need Bonner's minutes and they need to work on their defense. I have high expectations for both of them.

George Hill is not capable of being this team's #2 point guard. Let me rephrase...he's capable if we like losing to teams like the Jazz. I like him as a backup 2 and a 3rd string point...again as a situational player.

Timmy's knee is scary.

Games like this make me miss Bruce. The D was horrible.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a good loss in my opinion. Just goes to show that there are a few players who shouldn't be starting
    and there are a few who should be starting..
    Hope Pop saw that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    REBOUNDING plus SHOT BLOCKING = WINS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both of which we currently lacking....

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I can't believe people are even complaining about Bonner and Finley when we have bigger concerns than that.

*Duncan looks old and slow. I'm hoping he's just working back into shape but watching him lumber around on offense, miss rotations, and limp around is not a good sign at all.

*Jefferson is a monster when he's attacking the basket and has been decent on the corner 3s. But this is supposed to be our new perimeter defender and he looks almost as bad as Finley.

*McDyess looks his age. He's getting burned on defense badly. I hope to chalk it up to learning and adjusting to the system but he looks as lost out there as Elson did.

Not conerned about Hill or Ginobli. They've been good so far but just had a bad game. I expect them to bounce back and be fine.

Pop needed to throw Ratiliff out there for a few minutes just to see if he could change things up. But he was probably saving him for Portland tonight.

I don't mind Finley starting because it's not like Mason is playing so much better than him but that could change. Bogans is even worse.

I'd like to see Blair get the chance to start in place of Bonner. His defense isn't all that but that man hustles, rebounds, and brings energy, and works for baskets inside. If not Blair then McDyess could benefit playing alongside Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one hated to see us losing. However it does seem bittersweet because at least now we know for sure what things need to be addressed. I just hope Pop sees the same thing.

One thing is for sure Timmy can not guard the paint all himself anymore he needs help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a good loss in my opinion. Just goes to show that there are a few players who shouldn't be starting
    and there are a few who should be starting..
    Hope Pop saw that.
    I know where you're going with this, but it was pretty hard to find 5 guys who looked like they should be starting yesterday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe people are even complaining about Bonner and Finley when we have bigger concerns than that.

*Duncan looks old and slow. I'm hoping he's just working back into shape but watching him lumber around on offense, miss rotations, and limp around is not a good sign at all.

*Jefferson is a monster when he's attacking the basket and has been decent on the corner 3s. But this is supposed to be our new perimeter defender and he looks almost as bad as Finley.

*McDyess looks his age. He's getting burned on defense badly. I hope to chalk it up to learning and adjusting to the system but he looks as lost out there as Elson did.

Not conerned about Hill or Ginobli. They've been good so far but just had a bad game. I expect them to bounce back and be fine.

Pop needed to throw Ratiliff out there for a few minutes just to see if he could change things up. But he was probably saving him for Portland tonight.

I don't mind Finley starting because it's not like Mason is playing so much better than him but that could change. Bogans is even worse.

I'd like to see Blair get the chance to start in place of Bonner. His defense isn't all that but that man hustles, rebounds, and brings energy, and works for baskets inside. If not Blair then McDyess could benefit playing alongside Duncan.

I'm with you on most of what you said. Hill's the only exception. To me it doesn't appear that he can run the offense. Maybe that will come. I think he's a talented player...he just doesn't look like a point guard who can be turned to in pressure situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and McDyess is definitely going to get better out there.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems Pop is being stubborn again. Just like last year when he refused to play more minutes for Hill in the playoffs when the matchup was obviosuly perfect for him to play in.

I think Pop (no "offense" to him) has got to pull his head out his ass. Stop with the experementing already and lets get the real rotation cracking...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most problematic event from yesterday was seeing Duncan limp. This was actually NOT the first time I noticed an altered gate. I actually saw limping on the very first game. The other problems from yesterday, such as the bad defense, questionable starting lineup, and such, can be changed and improved as the season goes on. But an healthy Duncan is something that may never get better. I'm sorry for being a little pessimistic, but if we do not have a healthy Duncan, we have NO chance of winning the championship.

A limp could be a result of the protective knee brace which alters the normal gait. The problem with that is that altering the normal gait can lead to other abnormalities in the functionin of the other leg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it looks like Tim's days as a go-to 25-15 player (during the crucial games, not as an average) are over if the opposing bigs are physical with him. Also the days of Timmy requiring a double-team are definitely over if the opposing coach takes note of his lack of mobility.

But too many players on this team are slumping at once to make me believe we can't shake out of this funk. Manu will get his rhythm back in a few games. Tony probably needs some rest already from a work-heavy summer. Tim needs to quit whining about no-calls and practice hard to redevelop his post moves. RMJ needs to fire em up like he did in garbage time last night, with no conscience. And RJ and McDyess just need to keep pushing; they have proven track records in this league and things will get better for them.

Some thigns I noticed as I watched the game last night:

Manu dribbling the length of the court with about 7 seconds left in one of the quarters (maybe the 3rd...?) and hustling down like there was only 3 seconds left made me realize he's not fluid right now. Which is ok and to be expected after a summer of doing nothing. But yeah, with 7 seconds left and if you're already past halfcourt, Manu, you can afford to let McDyess or a shooter come into view and setup a quick screen instead of just firing it up like there's no time left.

Parker didn't have his usual legs to finish shots in the paint that he finds simple. And it was probably due to a combination of al ude + conditioning, the time off, the Jazz's physicality and the entire team being out of sync.

Duncan kept using the same inside move everyone knows he uses there he sweeps the arms low and brings the ball up in front of the hoop. The reason he could do it before with success was because he was quicker, the fouls were called when players slapped at the hands. But in Utah I think he's got to go glass more and be quicker with his moves. Maybe throw in a spin move to counter all the leaning they do on him.

George Hill was playing textbook defense at halfcourt when Dwill was bringing the ball up. The problem I saw was with the communication with the rest of the team on screens. When the inevitable backscreen would come, he seemed to react too slowly, go under and take a bad angle that wouldn't allow him to alter the shot. Combined with Utah's good shotting from inside the arc, he got burned several times. So I think if they practice the pick and roll and talking to each other before it happens, he can go over the pick or they can switch and have more fluid defensive coverage of it in the future.
    Last edited by phxspurfan; 11-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Thread Information