My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised nothing was posted about this yesterday:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...ycomb-code.ars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love honey, especially on biscuits, and sometimes in hot tea.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the sound of it, I think Google is developing a new appreciation for Apple and their ability to come up with an OS that works on tablets and phones with little to no difference in the UI and performance. Sounds like Google really underestimated what the difference would be between tablets and phones as they are saying that they're sacrificing resources and taking shortcuts.

Wonder if in the end it will be a small or big difference. Either way all the Apple haters can at least now see that while you may not like their products, you can at least respect Apple's ability to create an OS that is identical on both devices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm still trying to connect this move with apple glorification.. (yes i'm an apple hater ).. but i see plain and dry that the only reason google is withholding the honeycomb source code for now is because they themselves don't see it fit to be widespread amongst other devices just yet..

it's not like this is mozilla firefox where all your'e dealing with is just a browser.. technical issues may arise with out a clear solution to them right away which sould make the company and android OS look bad.. which would impact their shareholders, fanboys, etc.. you can already see the apple worshippers coming out from the dark to commence the bashing in the comments on that page..

all im saying is to me they're saying: android is open source but the devs don't feel the OS is at a state that is ready to be released yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all im saying is to me they're saying: android is open source but the devs don't feel the OS is at a state that is ready to be released yet
    It's not open source if the source is not open. The whole point of open source is to share the resource load. That I can download the source, make fixes to it to run on X, Y or Z device, then submit the patches upstream. As a side-effect, I would get to compile and run it on my device.

The whole 'release quality' argument is baseless, seeing that the point of having a code repository out there is for people to hack around and help them get to release quality, and that they obviously feel this is release quality already, seeing how it's shipping in the Xoom already.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    xda has my phone very happy. i doubt my trash eris can run honecomb anyways. i am running gingerbread.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it is open source, you release the code, there aren't exceptions.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information