My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terry stripped of England captaincy

February 3, 2012

By ESPNsoccernet staff

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy just 11 months after being reinstated into the role.
    GettyImagesJohn Terry was first appointed England captain by Steve McClaren after the 2006 World Cup

Gerrard to head England captains' club
    Roberts fires Euros warning over Terry
    Terry trial date angers Hughes
    Terry was contacted by Football Association chief David Berstein at 10am on Friday morning and informed of the FA board's decision. There has been no indication about his availability for selection for England duty.
    The Chelsea captain is accused of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand but will not stand trial until July, after this summer's European Championship.
    Although he was backed by caoch Fabio Capello and the FA in the initial stages of the case, the news that a trial will not take place for another five months seems to have left the FA with no other option.
    An FA statement said:" Following the decision to adjourn the court case against John Terry to July, The Football Association confirm he will not captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved.
    "The FA Board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship. Further to Wednesday's confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.
    "This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament.
    "The FA Board can confirm that he has not been excluded from the squad and that Fabio Capello is free to select him for the Holland fixture on 29 February and the European Championship.
    "FA Chairman David Bernstein has spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts to them. Fabio Capello has not been involved in The FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that the FA board has authority to make this decision. Fabio Capello will take the decision as to who will be made captain moving forward.
    "This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry. The FA will be not be making any further comment on this matter."
    Bernstein contacted the 13 other members of the FA board to seek their views on the situation, with the consensus being that for sporting reasons Terry is no longer in a position to captain his country.
    Terry, originally made captain in 2006, was stripped of the captaincy two years ago after allegations of an affair with team-mate Wayne Bridge's girlfriend, but was reinstated 13 months later.
    Steven Gerrard, if fit, seems certain to take the armband, while former Three Lions captain Rio Ferdinand quickly took to Twitter to rule himself out of the running.
    "I don't want to be england captain after the last episode,just want to concentrate on playin for utd & if I make the squad then as ever I'll be delighted," Ferdinand said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Needs to be dropped from the team. Phil Jones is way better already
    Last edited by Muser; 02-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He's a TOSB. Besides being a sucker, he's half the defender he used to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really see how he can't be dropped really if he's found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, Rio will probably be in the squad.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    John Terry Anton Ferdinand racism trial due to begin

Chelsea and England defender John Terry is due to stand trial later accused of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

The case relates to a comment allegedly made to Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand when the teams played last October.

The 31-year-old is charged with a racially-aggravated public order offence, for which the maximum sentence is a £2,500 fine.

The Chelsea skipper's trial takes place at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Police questioned Mr Terry under caution in November 2011 and a file on the matter was sent to the Crown Prosecution Service at the beginning of December.

The decision to investigate the former England captain was taken when police received a complaint from a member of the public after the Premier League match at Loftus Road.

As a summary offence under the Crime and Disorder Act, it will be fully heard in a magistrates' court.

Mr Terry, who won the Champions League and the FA Cup with Chelsea this season, was part of the England team that reached the quarter-finals of Euro 2012 last month.
    Terry
    racist Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_
    gonna go to jail

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FootyHumour ‏@FootyHumour BREAKING NEWS: John Terry's defence against Anton Ferdinand: "I'm NOT a racist. Racism is a crime - and crime is for black people."

Thread Information