Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinese Junk Patents Flood Into Australia, Allowing Chinese Companies To Strategically Block Innovation

Techdirt has been writing for a while about China's policy of providing incentives to file patents -- regardless of whether those patents have any worth. That's led to a naïve celebration of the large numbers now being granted, as if more patents corresponded to more innovation.

Until now, this problem of junk patents has been confined to China, and the companies that operate there. But last year China went even further with its subsidy system, offering to pay the fees for filing overseas, presumably to encourage Chinese companies to build up patent portfolios in foreign markets that can be used for defensive or even offensive purposes. We're now beginning to see the effects of this further distortion to the patent system, as Australian businesses struggle with the flood of new patents there. The Patentology blog explains:

A Chinese government scheme providing financial incentives for small and medium sized enterprises, public ins utions or scientific research ins utions appears to be resulting in abuse of the Australian patent system, and the 'dumping' of numerous low-quality innovation patents on the Australian Register.

These 'junk' patents are not being examined or certified. They therefore represent no more than potential enforceable rights. Even so, they generate costs to companies operating legitimately in Australia, which may need to obtain advice on the likely scope and validity of these patents in order to avoid possible infringement. In extreme cases, the existence of junk patents could result in an Australian business choosing not to take the risk of bringing a new product to market, even though the Chinese owner of a patent is not itself offering any products or services in this country.

This is a perfect example of how granting more patents actively harms innovation. Thanks to China's incentive scheme, which encourages patent quan y rather than quality, Australian businesses must now spend more time searching through them all to see if they are likely to affect their own products, deciding if they are a threat, and what to do about it. All that costs money that could have been spent on real innovation, developing new products. Thanks to the patent system, and China's new incentives, that money will now go to the lawyers.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovat...novation.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    French Politicians Worry That Free Creative Commons Works Devalue 'Legal' Offers

As Techdirt noted last year, France has a regrettable habit of dreaming up really bad ideas when it comes to the Internet, most famously with the three-strikes scheme, now known there by the name of the body the oversees it -- Hadopi. Guillaume Champeau points us to a piece in the French newspaper Libération, which contains yet more appalling possibilities (original in French).

The article concerns Pierre Lescure and his team, who have been charged by the French government with coming up with ways to help the world of culture in France adapt to the Internet economy. One idea, kindly suggested by the French recording industry, is to replace Hadopi's court procedures for those accused of unauthorized file sharing with an automatic fine of 140 euros after three strikes. That is, from being guilty until proven innocent, as now, under the proposed scheme those accused would simply be found guilty without any further discussion. And then there's this:

In parallel, no de-penalization for non-commercial sharing, but a desire to "increase the value" of free licences of the Creative Commons kind. The Lescure team believes that letting works circulate freely (as they do now...) would hinder the development of legal offers, particularly VOD [Video On Demand].

Yes, apparently the way to "increase the value" is to no longer allow Creative Commons content to "circulate freely" because it might compete with other business models. Lescure has now taken to Twitter (kudos that at least he's on Twitter) to state that what was reported bears "almost no relation to what we are preparing." But he doesn't explain what exactly they are planning, nor does he deny that their plans involve Creative Commons licenses.

We shall have to wait to see what he has in mind. But it would be hard to find a better symbol of the French establishment's at ude to the Internet and its extraordinary new possibilities than trying to make people pay for works that could be shared freely (because their creators want that), on the grounds that it might hinder a service that turns the Net into television.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...l-offers.shtml

Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-26-2013 at 06:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Computer Fraud and Abuse Act Update Expands Powers and Penalties

Despite calls to limit the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, it looks like Congress is planning to drastically expand the law and penalties. walterbyrd writes with a few of the major changes listed in the draft bill (22 pages):

"Adds computer crimes as a form of racketeering. Expands the ways in which you could be guilty of the CFAA — including making you just as guilty if you plan to 'violate' the CFAA than if you actually did so. Ratchets up many of the punishments. Makes a very, very minor adjustment to limit 'exceeding authorized access.' Expands the definition of 'exceeding authorized access' in a very dangerous way. Makes it easier for the federal government to seize and forfeit anything."

TechCrunch also reports rumors that the plan is to push the bill through quickly for approval with a number of other "cybersecurity" bills in mid-April.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.

If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.

"I've certainly seen them ask for passwords," said one Internet industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We push back."

A second person who has worked at a large Silicon Valley company confirmed that it received legal requests from the federal government for stored passwords. Companies "really heavily scrutinize" these requests, the person said. "There's a lot of 'over my dead body.'"

Some of the government orders demand not only a user's password but also the encryption algorithm and the so-called salt, according to a person familiar with the requests. A salt is a random string of letters or numbers used to make it more difficult to reverse the encryption process and determine the original password. Other orders demand the secret question codes often associated with user accounts.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...unt-passwords/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get tired of biased websites that like to spin words.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like cnet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They used the word "demand" in the beginning and end of that piece, while gently sliding the word "request" in the middle, which is disingenuous, imo.

I also don't like anonymous sources.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hair splitting, tbh. government and LE enforcement requests are sometimes rightly perceived as being more than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there can be consequences for saying no to power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hair splitting, tbh. government and LE enforcement requests are sometimes rightly perceived as being more than that.
    If it was a real demand to release password info, the internet companies would go straight to big media outlets.

Demand =/= request

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it was a real demand to release password info, the internet companies would go straight to big media outlets.

Demand =/= request
    ...and the next time that they tried an acquisition or merger, strangely, the DOJ would put the kibosh on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dentist Who Used Copyright To Silence Her Patients Drops Out of Sight

According to a report at Ars Technica, a dentist named Stacy Makhnevich, who billed herself as "the Classical Singer Dentist of New York," threatened patients who wrote bad Yelp reviews with lawsuits, along the same lines as the online dental damage-control outlined in a different Ars story in 2011. This time, though, there's something even stranger than bargaining with patients to forgo criticism: when a patient defied that demand by describing his experience in negative terms on Yelp, Makhnevich followed up on the threat by seeking a takedown order based on copyright (putatively signed over to her for any criticism that patients might write, post-visit) — then disappeared entirely when lawyers for patient Robert Lee filed a class-action lawsuit challenging the validity of the agreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and the next time that they tried an acquisition or merger, strangely, the DOJ would put the kibosh on it.
    Because they didn't cooperate?

Doubtful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    July 23, 2013 | By Morgan Weiland

Congress and the Justice Dept's Dangerous Attempts to Define “Journalist” Threaten to Exclude Bloggers

Lawmakers in Washington are again weighing in on who should and should not qualify as a journalist—and the outcome looks pretty grim for bloggers, freelancers, and other non-salaried journalists.

On July 12, the Justice Department released its new guidelines on investigations involving the news media in the wake of the fallout from the leak scandals involving the monitoring of AP and Fox News reporters. While the guidelines certainly provide much-needed protections for establishment journalists, as independent journalist Marcy Wheeler explained, the DOJ’s interpretation of who is a “member[] of the news media” is dramatically narrower than the definition provided in the Privacy Protection Act and effectively excludes bloggers and freelancers from protection. This limiting definition is causing alarm among bloggers like Glenn Reynolds on the right as well.

While the DOJ’s effort to limit the scope of who can be recognized as a journalist is problematic, it doesn’t have teeth. Guidelines are, well, guidelines. But the report is part of a broader legislative effort in Washington to simultaneously offer protection for the press while narrowing the scope of who is afforded it. Importantly, Congress introduced federal shield bills in May—both ironically named the “Free Flow of Information Act of 2013”—that arguably would exclude bloggers, freelancers, and other non-salaried journalists from protection because they are not included within the bills’ narrow definition of who qualifies as a journalist.

If these bills—support for which the White House reaffirmed in its DOJ report—pass without change, Congress effectively will create two tiers of journalists: the ins utional press licensed by the government, and everyone else. That’s a pretty flimsy shield if what we are really trying to protect is the free flow of information.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...reaten-exclude

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if those definitions of journalist will spill over into the sports world

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MLB and NFL? Probably not. NCAA has no collective bargaining. . .

. . .yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they didn't cooperate?

Doubtful
    ask Anthony Natsios and Qwest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't ask Qwest. They've been bought out and their former CEO during that time frame got convicted for insider trading, didn't he?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Downloading Is Mean! Content Industry Drafts Anti-Piracy Curriculum for Elementary Schools

Listen up children: Cheating on your homework or cribbing notes from another student is bad, but not as bad as sharing a music track with a friend, or otherwise depriving the content-industry of its well-earned profits.

That’s one of the messages in a new-school curriculum being developed with the Motion Picture Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America and the nation’s top ISPs, in a pilot project to be tested in California elementary schools later this year.

Read more:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ol-propaganda/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spain's new piracy penalty: Six years in jail

Summary: The country is proposing prison time for owners of sites that link to illegal versions of copyrighted material.

Spain is introducing tough new penalties for owners of websites that link to pirated versions of copyrighted material, after pressure from the US over its piracy record.

Under new legislation introduced as part of a wider reform of the country's penal code, owners of sites found to be making money from linking to pirated material will face prison sentences of up to six years and the closure of their site.

It is the first time Spanish authorities have targeted owners of sites that just provide links to copyrighted material that is illegally distributed via other websites. Previously the law targeted just those who "reproduce, plagiarise, distribute or pass on" copyrighted material, while leaving those who provide the links immune from prosecution, a report in the Spanish newspaper El Pais said.

However, users of these link-sharing sites will not be targeted under the new law and search engines and peer-to-peer users will also be exempt.

http://www.zdnet.com/spains-new-pira...il-7000020973/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Downloading Is Mean! Content Industry Drafts Anti-Piracy Curriculum for Elementary Schools

Listen up children: Cheating on your homework or cribbing notes from another student is bad, but not as bad as sharing a music track with a friend, or otherwise depriving the content-industry of its well-earned profits.

That’s one of the messages in a new-school curriculum being developed with the Motion Picture Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America and the nation’s top ISPs, in a pilot project to be tested in California elementary schools later this year.

Read more:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ol-propaganda/
    was that really one of the messages?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was that really one of the messages?
    Haven't seen all the courses, but here's 6th grade:
    http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/th...ght-Lesson.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Netflix CEO says torrent piracy in Canada down 50 per cent

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings dropped a surprising statistic during an interview with Dutch website Tweakers last week, as he made the rounds promoting the launch of Netflix Netherlands.

When asked if Dutch viewers would switch from piracy to Netflix, Hastings said sure, some will switch, and that piracy helps “create the demand” for easier, legitimate ways to watch video through the Internet. Pressed for examples of markets where Netflix has actually brought about a decrease in piracy, Hastings pointed to Canada. Here, he claims, “Bittorrent traffic’s down by about 50 per cent since Netflix launched three years ago.”
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/17/n...n-50-per-cent/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hole in Our Collective Memory: How Copyright Made Mid-Century Books Vanish

By this calculation, the effect of copyright appears extreme. Heald says that the WorldCat research showed, for example, that there were eight times as many books published in the 1980s as in the 1880s, but there are roughly as many les available on Amazon for the two decades. A book published during the presidency of Chester A. Arthur has a greater chance of being in print today than one published during the time of Reagan.

Copyright advocates have long (and successfully) argued that keeping books copyrighted assures that owners can make a profit off their intellectual property, and that that profit incentive will "assure [the books'] availability and adequate distribution." The evidence, it appears, says otherwise.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...vanish/278209/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't seen all the courses, but here's 6th grade:
    http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/th...ght-Lesson.pdf
    Yeah, I figured it was over the top.

There's a tie-in to plagiarism in that presentation. And schools don't have to show it if they don't want to. I don't see the problem.

Thread Information