Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy ing sucks. I've watched over 20 minutes of his "highlights". They consist almost solely of him dunking when defenders are nowhere near him. You'll notice you won't find any defensive highlights of this guy either. He's a slow, unskilled giant. And he's weak to boot. When he actually has a defender on him, he just throws up a shot from 3 ft, and in his highlights it goes in -- but I can't imagine it does when it's not a "highlight."

He was 6-26 FG from outside 5 ft of the rim in the Euroleague last year. When Fran Franchilla heard that the Spurs got him he just shrugged and commented on how slow he is. And he's a guy that goes absolutely nuts over even the softest and the worst of the Euro's.

This guy is 26, almost 27. He may be able to dunk without jumping much, but he's still not getting above 10 ft ever. Lebron and almost every NBA player can get to 11 ft in the air easy. It'll be a block party. We got a big ing stiff. Hiss athleticism is ZERO. I hope you're all happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying Marjanovic is going to be any good but, I'll trust the Spurs front office over a guy who doesn't know how high the rim is from ground, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make a good point, and this seems like an accurate minutes breakdown. But 2 million is a lot of cap space for a player who will seldom play. Jeff Ayres averaged 7.5 minutes per game last year, Bonner 13.00 as our bottom bench bigs. So would you see something similar for Bobi?
    Ayres was paid 2m+ a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make a good point, and this seems like an accurate minutes breakdown. But 2 million is a lot of cap space for a player who will seldom play. Jeff Ayres averaged 7.5 minutes per game last year, Bonner 13.00 as our bottom bench bigs. So would you see something similar for Bobi?
    It is, but for a positional need & someone with that good of upside? Worth it, even if he can't play outside of the blowouts, rest/injuries. I think the Ayres minutes comparison is good. The reason Bonner played so much (same with Baynes/Ayres) is because Tiago got hurt - have to keep that in mind. That was 20-24MPG that had to be made up so people got more minutes. Plus, if you had West last year(even w/Tiago hurt) guys like Bonner/Ayres) wouldn't have played.

There's just not many minutes to go around because we are so deep. He will get minutes, but I suspect plenty of DNP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayres was paid 2m+ a year.
    Exactly my point. And we all thought he was over paid for being the 6th big on the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy ing sucks. I've watched over 20 minutes of his "highlights". They consist almost solely of him dunking when defenders are nowhere near him. You'll notice you won't find any defensive highlights of this guy either. He's a slow, unskilled giant. And he's weak to boot. When he actually has a defender on him, he just throws up a shot from 3 ft, and in his highlights it goes in -- but I can't imagine it does when it's not a "highlight."

He was 6-26 FG from outside 5 ft of the rim in the Euroleague last year. When Fran Franchilla heard that the Spurs got him he just shrugged and commented on how slow he is. And he's a guy that goes absolutely nuts over even the softest and the worst of the Euro's.

This guy is 26, almost 27. He may be able to dunk without jumping much, but he's still not getting above 10 ft ever. Lebron and almost every NBA player can get to 11 ft in the air easy. It'll be a block party. We got a big ing stiff. Hiss athleticism is ZERO. I hope you're all happy.
    Splitter learned to shoot from different angles and used the ring to protect his shot from being blocked. That's because he could barely get off the ground.

Boban will need to make similar adjustments to compensate for the NBA game. One thing is absolutely sure though, if he's under the ring with the ball... it'll be very hard to block without a goal tend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is, but for a positional need & someone with that good of upside? Worth it, even if he can't play outside of the blowouts, rest/injuries. I think the Ayres minutes comparison is good. The reason Bonner played so much (same with Baynes/Ayres) is because Tiago got hurt - have to keep that in mind. That was 20-24MPG that had to be made up so people got more minutes. Plus, if you had West last year(even w/Tiago hurt) guys like Bonner/Ayres) wouldn't have played.

There's just not many minutes to go around because we are so deep. He will get minutes, but I suspect plenty of DNP.
    You're right of course. And true center was really needed with our glut of PFs. With Pop's tendency to keep the bench the same, we may even see Bobi start a game or two when Duncan rests, though probably not until later in the season when the Serbian giant is used to the system. It's only a 1 year contract, so its a good bet and fills a need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will probably have to put up with lane violations, illegal defense calls, basket interference and missed assignments with this guy.

I must say that I am intrigued by whether or not Marjanovic can deal with the culture change, length of season (even with lots of DNPCDs) and how well he might be able to frustrate the likes of Dwight Howard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right of course. And true center was really needed with our glut of PFs. With Pop's tendency to keep the bench the same, we may even see Bobi start a game or two when Duncan rests, though probably not until later in the season when the Serbian giant is used to the system. It's only a 1 year contract, so its a good bet and fills a need.
    You got it - like Chinook alluded to though - it's a risk. With it being only 1 year and him likely not getting minutes, Spurs will have to make a judgement to keep him next year - especially if he shows promise - with only likely limited minutes to go upon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will probably have to put up with lane violations, illegal defense calls, basket interference and missed assignments with this guy.

I must say that I am intrigued by whether or not Marjanovic can deal with the culture change, length of season (even with lots of DNPCDs) and how well he might be able to frustrate the likes of Dwight Howard.
    Out of all of those, mentally frustrating Howard is the least of the concerns

However, from what I have read, if people are expecting Bobi to be a defender, they will be very disappointed. With someone as athletic as Dwight, I really hope we don't have to find out how he does against him

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Yao had the success he had in the league, being even slower than Bobi, I'm sure Bobi will be just fine. He's obviously still improving and based on the videos he looks like he has good footwork, solid and creative passer, plus solid touch in the post. He can also shoot and make a midrange jumper. Obviously his defense still needs work but he's an intimidating presence in the middle. I feel really good about him and I trust PATFO to know exactly what they have in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of all of those, mentally frustrating Howard is the least of the concerns

However, from what I have read, if people are expecting Bobi to be a defender, they will be very disappointed. With someone as athletic as Dwight, I really hope we don't have to find out how he does against him
    Haha. Well, DPG21920, I didn't specify "mentally" frustrating Howard. My intended communication was the classic definition of frustrate: prevent (a plan or attempted action) from progressing, succeeding, or being fulfilled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, like so many others here...I'm actually quite interested in seeing Marjanovic succeed. The Spurs' player development staff are right up there among the best anywhere, not to mention the influence of Tim.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, like so many others here...I'm actually quite interested in seeing Marjanovic succeed. The Spurs' player development staff are right up there among the best anywhere, not to mention the influence of Tim.
    He's going to learn some moves from Tim that'll help his game tremendously. Tim Duncan barely gets of the floor but his wingspan compensates for the lack of athleticism. Hope that the same for Boban.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to learn some moves from Tim that'll help his game tremendously. Tim Duncan barely gets of the floor but his wingspan compensates for the lack of athleticism. Hope that the same for Boban.
    Tim Duncan is 100x more athletic than this guy even at 38 years old.

Boban is not an athlete at all. He's 7'4 and he can reach up to the rim and dunk the ball. That's it. Comparing him to Duncan on any level is Sacrilege.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No matter how high you can jump, the place you have to put the ball through is ALWAYS 10 ft. To dunk a basketball you have to get at least 6 inches over the rim to clear the diameter of the basketball. I honestly don't expect much from him on defense and wouldn't be surprised to see him get torched. Offense is a different story. He looks to be a legitimate threat because he seems to be able to find the open spaces under the basket much the same way Tiago and Oberto did. If he gets the ball within 5ft of the basket, it could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. I am also intrigued by this guy because he looks like he can actually catch quick passes. Baynes and Ayers both couldn't seem to handle passes on the interior and frequently turned the ball over or put up a rushed shot. This could be another issue that could be solved by Boban.

All of this is speculation naturally, but considering what I have seen (highlights or not) from his statistics, this guy is definitely an upgrade over Baynes/Ayers as 5th big potential.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter how high you can jump, the place you have to put the ball through is ALWAYS 10 ft. To dunk a basketball you have to get at least 6 inches over the rim to clear the diameter of the basketball. I honestly don't expect much from him on defense and wouldn't be surprised to see him get torched. Offense is a different story. He looks to be a legitimate threat because he seems to be able to find the open spaces under the basket much the same way Tiago and Oberto did. If he gets the ball within 5ft of the basket, it could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. I am also intrigued by this guy because he looks like he can actually catch quick passes. Baynes and Ayers both couldn't seem to handle passes on the interior and frequently turned the ball over or put up a rushed shot. This could be another issue that could be solved by Boban.

All of this is speculation naturally, but considering what I have seen (highlights or not) from his statistics, this guy is definitely an upgrade over Baynes/Ayers as 5th big potential.
    What his current team did not have is the passing abilities of guys like Manu and Boris. If you took highlights of the Spurs scoring in the last couple of years, you could say that they were mostly easy layups.

So when Marjanovic receives the ball in the Spurs offense... it will not because he's flanked with a lot of defenders and needs to make a difficult shot... it will because he can just simply lay it in. The argument that he's going to get blocked by someone is completely moot because that someone will not be in the play to be able to block it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This isn't really true either. As long as one can get their hand high enough over the rim to direct the ball down, then you can dunk. If you can palm a ball and get your wrist near the rim, you can turn it over and dunk. So it's more than 10' but many times less than 10.5'

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't really true either. As long as one can get their hand high enough over the rim to direct the ball down, then you can dunk. If you can palm a ball and get your wrist near the rim, you can turn it over and dunk. So it's more than 10' but many times less than 10.5'
    Not really correct. Your hands have to be around 8 inches long to palm a basketball. At the peak of the turn of the basketball, your fingers will indeed be around 10.5 ft easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really correct. Your hands have to be around 8 inches long to palm a basketball. At the peak of the turn of the basketball, your fingers will indeed be around 10.5 ft easy.
    In most cases. But there are also times when you don't necessarily have to be palming it. The ball could be resting in the hand and still turned over. Even if it wasn't a real palm. For instance, it's no different than dunking a tennis ball except it's taller. It's why some people can only dunk on alley oops. You just have to have the ball falling down while the hand is on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to clarify, the ball can be going horizontally as well as dropping.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot we had West...

This must be what it feels like to be in the 1%.
    Welcome to the club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Fran Franchilla heard that the Spurs got him he just shrugged and commented on how slow he is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great catch.... Chomper with a completely bogus comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find. I like that everything I hear about Bobi's at ude is really positive. Should mean he's coachable

Thread Information