Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't read that tweet as meaning the deal could be called off, only as cap figures would be settled then in case ATL needed to make another small move to get the space or preserve it, or give them the chance for any sign and trades or such.

A formality issue, like when draft night trades can't be completed until after the draft or when deals contingent on expected cap room need to be done first for ATL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the tweet came out that the deal had not been turned in and would be turned in on the 9th.
    Be a ruthless thing to do. Especially to a partner who wants to have your back.
    Being Machiavellian doesn't work very well in a closed environment. It breeds contempt and collusion against you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be a ruthless thing to do. Especially to a partner who wants to have your back.
    Being Machiavellian doesn't work very well in a closed environment. It breeds contempt and collusion against you.
    I'm pretty sure that Pop wouldn't do it that way to his friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walter Tavares might be the perfect replacement for the Baynes spot on the roster.

He's raw but he's huge and has great hands. It looks like he has a chance to be a plus scorer down low (and has a nice short range jumper).

He moves somewhat mechanically like Baynes but he has a nose for the ball -- when it's close, it's his -- a rare skill in a guy that big.

Can he move well enough to defend? Well, he has great hands (for defense, too) and you can't teach height (7'3").

All in all, I'd say he has as much or more upside as Baynes when he arrived.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walter Tavares might be the perfect replacement for the Baynes spot on the roster.

He's raw but he's huge and has great hands. It looks like he has a chance to be a plus scorer down low (and has a nice short range jumper).

He moves somewhat mechanically like Baynes but he has a nose for the ball -- when it's close, it's his -- a rare skill in a guy that big.

Can he move well enough to defend? Well, he has great hands (for defense, too) and you can't teach height (7'3").

All in all, I'd say he has as much or more upside as Baynes when he arrived.
    Of all the names mentioned on the backup tier, he would be more exciting to get than the rest, to me, too. If Atl signed him to a Spurs-steered contract, to complete the trade, awesome. Who knows if that's what occured, though. And, no worries about Pop sticking it to Bud. Never happen. If the Splitter deal is nixed due to the fact we don't get Aldridge, it would have been agreed upon in advance, I'm sure. But, I think it's a done deal either way, according to what someone mentioned in another thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. We'll need to add some complementary pieces. With the loss of depth and learning curve for LMA, we actually might take a short term step back. But signing Danny, Kawhi and getting LMA (if it happens) are setting us up well for the future.
    I am not sure we should be taking steps back when TD has only got a few years left. We should be in win-now mode. Once TD hangs it up, it's going to be much tougher to win.

I really like Baynes, and think he could start for some teams, but with LMA and Duncan, I feel we need a more mobile backup center with shot blocking skills. Does not need to shoot a lick.
    Splitter was pretty effective without being a shot blocker by contesting shots without fouling. He was mobile and able to defend the pick and roll and switch on smalls. There's lots of shot blockers who are bad defenders.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that Pop wouldn't do it that way to his friend.
    Of course not, Pop loses games on the last day of the season so his friends can keep their jobs. I'm sure he would be thrilled if Bud won it all next year and that trade helped them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure we should be taking steps back when TD has only got a few years left. We should be in win-now mode. Once TD hangs it up, it's going to be much tougher to win.
    We're in win now mode while setting up the future. That said, reality is reality and our depth will probably take a hit this summer. I could be wrong, hope I am. We'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys you realize Baynes became a Piston like 2 days ago right

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize this thread was started long before Baynes' signing in Detroit, and the only two mentions of him on this page are in the past tense/speculation on how to replace him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Boban lives up to semi-expectations. I don't want to be having Aaron Baynes withdrawal.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be no real expectations for a 5th big getting paid under 2 mil. We Spurs fans are spoiled, ha.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People don't know what to expect exactly. But there are hopes for a Euro MVP.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People throw Euro MVP around liberally. In my book, only Euroleague MVP and Spanish league MVP hold weight. The Serbian/Adriatic league MVP, while a definite personal honor, does not say all that much for someone's NBA projection.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People throw Euro MVP around liberally. In my book, only Euroleague MVP and Spanish league MVP hold weight. The Serbian/Adriatic league MVP, while a definite personal honor, does not say all that much for someone's NBA projection.
    I've heard the media calling him a Euro MVP. I haven't looked it up b/c it looks like he was mostly benefiting from playing against midgets ala George Mikan in the 40's.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't playing in Korea against 6' 5" bigs. No midgets in Europe, just some leagues being very top-heavy or outright weak.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't playing in Korea against 6' 5" bigs. No midgets in Europe, just some leagues being very top-heavy or outright weak.
    I saw one highlight where it looked like the next biggest guy was 6'3".

Thread Information