Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some players just don't age well, tbh... it would be hypocritical to now say people didn't have doubts about Tony changing his game when his speed would inevitable go away.

He's worked hard on his jumpshot, but that's definitely not his bread and butter.

Luckily, he's heading back to San Anton, with phenomenal teammates and a HoF coach that can hopefully masquerade the decline a bit..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Parker being outplayed by point guards who are no longer in the NBA in this tournament is very concerning.

Confidence is everything and Parker has none of it -- chucking shots won't change that either.

In order to regain confidence, he needs a good 4-8 weeks of strength training for his legs and core to get his legs under him ( it still seems he has no good consistent balance in his lift with his jumper & also is missing the extra step he used to have to turn corners on PnR's). He also needs to put go back to the drawing board and spend hours in the gym working on his shot and finishing in the paint. The time spent in the gym is the only way he'll have a chance to regain confidence.
    He seem to be one of those guys who is in denial b/c of his enormous ego (ala Kobe). Pop has to tell him to stay home (ala Rondo) b/c benching/calling him out through the media hasn't worked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they benched him in favor of Dwight ing Howard... You don't bench one of the greatest players of all time who carried Kobe's ass to two les.
    Agreed. D'Antoni couldn't figure out how to use Pau for some reason. It interfered with his re-creation of the Suns from 7 to 8 years earlier.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count

sheesh...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Luckily, he's heading back to San Anton, with phenomenal teammates and a HoF coach that can hopefully masquerade the decline a bit..
    Did you follow him last season?...The nagging injuries aren't going anywhere & he's going to actually pick up some new injuries as he's only going to get older. If he can't play through it (ala Manu) he might as well retire instead of using it as an excuse for his terrible performances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some players just don't age well, tbh... it would be hypocritical to now say people didn't have doubts about Tony changing his game when his speed would inevitable go away.

He's worked hard on his jumpshot, but that's definitely not his bread and butter.

well said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you follow him last season?...The nagging injuries aren't going anywhere & he's going to actually pick up some new injuries as he's only going to get older. If he can't play through it (ala Manu) he might as well retire instead of using it as an excuse for his terrible performances.
    He has a kid now, he's not leaving a 2 year max extension on the table, period. And before somebody brings it up, you can't renegotiate that contract. He's also not getting traded.

So you better damn well hope Pop taps his ass and tells him "good leadership" while sitting his ass, and hopefully the rest of the PGs have a good season.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He has a kid now, he's not leaving a 2 year max extension on the table, period. And before somebody brings it up, you can't renegotiate that contract. He's also not getting traded.
    My point was that he's done so folks need to stop being so profoundly optimistic & that it's best for the TEAM that he retires

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point was that he's done so folks need to stop being so profoundly optimistic & that it's best for the TEAM that he retires
    He's our starting PG, and it doesn't look like we have anybody else to pick up that spot right now... it's gonna be on him to make sure LMA & Kawhi shine and we win...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker doesn't worry me, what worries me is Pop pulling a player who is playing better than Parker in clutch situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if we can nab Llull or Rodriguez

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another heartbreak for us Spurs fans, seeing Tony and Boris go down like this in a game france let it slipped, spurs curse alive also over the sea...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He's our starting PG, and it doesn't look like we have anybody else to pick up that spot right now... it's gonna be on him to make sure LMA & Kawhi shine and we win...
    Fisher was the Lakers starting point guard, Mario Chalmers was the Heat's starting point guard.....if the team is talented enough they can get by without a point guard especially someone like Tony who is a scoring guard.

When the team last won a championship Tony was MIA in Gm 6 vs. OKC, closeout game vs. Blazers & had ZERO points in the championship clincher until the Heat started waving the white flag. As long as Kawhi keeps improving & LMA doesn't have major growing pains they can make up for Parker's decline. The most anyone could ask from him is to be an average starting point guard at this point of his career. 12pts/5ast plus a low turnover rate & passable defense would be acceptable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fisher was the Lakers starting point guard, Mario Chalmers was the Heat's starting point guard.....if the team is talented enough they can get by without a point guard especially someone like Tony who is a scoring guard.

When the team last won a championship Tony was MIA in Gm 6 vs. OKC, closeout game vs. Blazers & had ZERO points in the championship clincher until the Heat started waving the white flag. As long as Kawhi keeps improving & LMA doesn't have major growing pains they can make up for Parker's decline. The most anyone could ask from him is to be an average starting point guard at this point of his career. 12pts/5ast plus a low turnover rate & passable defense would be acceptable.
    yeah, I would agree a key part is that he understands his limitations and gets out of the way when needed, tbh...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fisher and Chalmers were always suited to primarily playing off the ball and the former played with a top 3-5 player and the latter played with the best player in the game.

Whoever you think this team's best player is, they're borderline top 10 and none of the options are go-to perimeter creators, something that's been a requirement for every champion in recent history outside of the '94 Rockets, '03 Spurs and '11 Mavericks.

This team will also be a more conventional NBA team than the '14 Spurs were. It was all the factors that have been talked about ad nauseam with them that won that le; not their star power. This team is going to have to be a hybrid. Parker, more than anyone, has to walk that fine line.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So you better damn well hope Pop taps his ass and tells him "good leadership" while sitting his ass, and hopefully the rest of the PGs have a good season.
    2 years? I thought it was three.

Three long years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 years? I thought it was three.

Three long years.
    I thought he already played his 1st year of the new deal, but you might be right...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Fisher and Chalmers were always suited to primarily playing off the ball and the former played with a top 3-5 player and the latter played with the best player in the game.

Whoever you think this team's best player is, they're borderline top 10 and none of the options are go-to perimeter creators, something that's been a requirement for every champion in recent history outside of the '94 Rockets, '03 Spurs and '11 Mavericks.

This team will also be a more conventional NBA team than the '14 Spurs were. It was all the factors that have been talked about ad nauseam with them that won that le; not their star power. This team is going to have to be a hybrid. Parker, more than anyone, has to walk that fine line.
    We already saw the evolution of the offense in 2015 as one that will be centered around Kawhi. With Tony/Diaw regressing, Manu/Tim aging & Tiago being traded you can forget about the 2014 Championship team. The new offense is going to be centered around Kawhi/LMA (PnR/postups/ISOs) & the ball won't be in Tony's hands as much although he will still be calling the sets. Tony is going to be playing off Kawhi/LMA thus he won't be asked to be a shot creator so he can pick his spots rather than forcing shots or pounding the air out of the ball to trying to get into the paint.

Kawhi is going to be the key since he will be handling the ball a lot on the PnRs but I've the utmost confidence in Kawhi considering how he has improved every season. If Kawhi can run the offense similar to how Paul George/Blake (two players who came into the league w/ similar playmaking skills as Kawhi) are able to from the forward position then it should be all gravy, nobody is asking Kawhi to be a point-forward ala LeBron/Pippen/Bird. The motion offense should take care of the rest as long as Kawhi/LMA can excel as a PnR duo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought he already played his 1st year of the new deal, but you might be right...
    I just double checked and it's three.

His three year extension starts with 15-16.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Pretty sure it starts this year, so I think he has 3 years. That contract is irresponsible. I have no idea what the Spurs were thinking giving it to him without seeing how he played last season. I wasn't happy when I first saw/read about it.

. Reading through this mini game blog from the France Vs Spain game has put a real damper on this upcoming season for me now. It sounds like he's a lot worse than a still trying to regain his game Derrick Rose. We really need Parker to be better than an average player. Not sure if it was the heat of the moment of it being a game thread, but when posters like Brazil say that he looks done, I'm not too optimistic about him getting back to being a top tier player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Pretty sure it starts this year, so I think he has 3 years. That contract is irresponsible. I have no idea what the Spurs were thinking giving it to him without seeing how he played last season. I wasn't happy when I first saw/read about it.

. Reading through this mini game blog from the France Vs Spain game has put a real damper on this upcoming season for me now. It sounds like he's a lot worse than a still trying to regain his game Derrick Rose. We really need Parker to be better than an average player. Not sure if it was the heat of the moment of it being a game thread, but when posters like Brazil say that he looks done, I'm not too optimistic about him getting back to being a top tier player.
    Meh, too early. Plus the Spurs have options, and at least now LMA is the new head of the snake on the offensive end. Defensively, he hasn't been really guarding other top PGs for a while now.

Not gonna worry about it. If he becomes detrimental, then sure... but we're not there yet with this new team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasoft > LMA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will there be a third place match? Maybe Parker can give Spurs fans some hope that he's not completely done.

BTW, Parker should just focus solely on shooting 3's now ala Jason Kidd. That's probably the only way he can reinvent himself after losing his speed.

Thread Information