Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he might be thrown off by the fact that Livio is past that three year period after being drafted. But the fact the Spurs don't even have the cap space to sign him to a non rookie scale deal should be enough of a giveaway.
    Maybe he thinks the Spurs renounced him and gave him a two-year min deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he thinks the Spurs renounced him and gave him a two-year min deal.
    Has that ever happened before with a first round pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks , tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has that ever happened before with a first round pick?
    I am extremely confident that it hasn't, but we'll see what objective says. It would be -to the Nth degree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no reason to leave a spot open unless you need to save money. Guys like Forbes and Arcidiacono can be cut at any time. Why preemptively do so?

It depends who it is, but there's a good chance yet to be signed veteran power forward will be competing with Simmons and Bertans for minutes.

There's no good reason to not fill the 15th spot. It'll only be a partially guaranteed contract (until January 10th), so they can easily cut it at any point up to that, if something better emerges or injuries necessitate it going to a different position.

Spurs would be better off waiving them and keeping a spot open -- especially if they have below average performances in pre season( which is expected and the likely scenario). In this likely scenario, another team will have a few days to pick them up btw the time theyre waived and the time SA can have their rights for the entire year in Austin. Its a safe gamble to waive them and pick up their rights for the year, instead of signing one to start the season and having to waive him for a better player in the middle of season-- which if it happens, SA would be losing their rights to them and throws all the development perspective out the window for these undrafted FAs.

The incentives to waiving vs signing is it keeps roster flexibility. It also allows SA to take a longer look and gives the them more time to develop the players in Austin, and it does save them money ( but its irrelevant money).

Forbes & Archie and their agents know they are likely D League players this yr, that's why they were so quick to sign these 75k guaranteed camp deals and not waiting out for a better deal. The likely hood of another team coming in at the end of pre season is very small. The time between the draft and the start of the season won't change other teams perspectives that much -- if at all. These are undrafted FAs we are talking about. Ones that were not offered guaranteed deals like Gary Payton II.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 07-22-2016 at 07:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's clear that we're rebuilding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs can resurrect LJC it'll be the greatest resurrection since Christ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People keep moving Anderson to the 3 because they "just don't like him" at the four. "Too small."
    Anderson only has the advantage if the opposing player is small than him. So he's 6'9", but he's effective only when the opposing player is 6'5". I don't think he can handle guys as big as say Leonard at 6'7".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's clear that we're rebuilding
    I wouldn't call it a rebuild, I think there is a good chance this team wins 57 games and finishes second in the West. Its not a le contending team when compared to GSW but it should still be a top 3 or 4 team in the NBA.

The Spurs have added youth to the bench with Anderson, Simmons (not really that young but you get the point) Murray, LJC, Bertans, and possibly Forbes. They are essentially developing rookies/young players while still being compe ive I wouldn't consider it a rebuild more like a retooling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking forward to watching him average 1.9 ppg and 0.8 rpg this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson only has the advantage if the opposing player is small than him. So he's 6'9", but he's effective only when the opposing player is 6'5". I don't think he can handle guys as big as say Leonard at 6'7".
    If he's the backup 4, he shouldn't have to worry about guys being but so much bigger than him. Quite a few backup 4's are 6'10 and under (like Diaw and West for example). His length should come in handy on defense and hopefully he can improve his outside shooting to become more of a stretch four with ball handling and play making capabilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Kevin Martin.
    That's not such a high standard to set.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he's really the only big we have now who is mobile enough to cover the pick and roll. I can see him getting some burn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's the backup 4, he shouldn't have to worry about guys being but so much bigger than him. Quite a few backup 4's are 6'10 and under (like Diaw and West for example). His length should come in handy on defense and hopefully he can improve his outside shooting to become more of a stretch four with ball handling and play making capabilities.
    I don't think he has a prayer guarding Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most bigs don't have guard skills or know how to defend perimeter players. That's his advantage over traditional bigs. A high-post game is not the same as a low-post game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he has a prayer guarding Diaw.
    Depends on which Diaw shows up. Last year's version wasn't a threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he's really the only big we have now who is mobile enough to cover the pick and roll. I can see him getting some burn.
    I guess I missed the news of Dedmon being cut.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't call it a rebuild, I think there is a good chance this team wins 57 games and finishes second in the West. Its not a le contending team when compared to GSW but it should still be a top 3 or 4 team in the NBA.

The Spurs have added youth to the bench with Anderson, Simmons (not really that young but you get the point) Murray, LJC, Bertans, and possibly Forbes. They are essentially developing rookies/young players while still being compe ive I wouldn't consider it a rebuild more like a retooling.
    I don't see why SA can't contend other than ty front court depth, or a backup pg. West and Diaw leaving was great for business. Need to trade Kyle Anderson probably - he averaged less ppg than Kevin Martin last year and was the second worst spur in the playoffs (Martin wins the award).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most bigs don't have guard skills or know how to defend perimeter players. That's his advantage over traditional bigs. A high-post game is not the same as a low-post game.
    Ok... I agree... yes... he has an advantage over a big if he's out there in the wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok... I agree... yes... he has an advantage over a big if he's out there in the wings.
    Doesn't need to be that far. Can do his work from the high-post/triple-threat position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His jump shot form looks good just slow, his defense is decent and will get better.

Can be a fourth big in the rotation potentially. Which again, end of the first round to get a decent role player is always a win.
    He has NBA level athleticism, and some of his issues are correctable. He was raved before he got drafted how great of a worth ethic / willing to learn he had from what I remember. He's only 22 for christ sake, and would've just been graduating a few months ago if he was in college . I could understand if he was already 25/26 years old already in his prime.

I don't get why people are so down on us picking him, when the 2013 draft was so bad from top to bottom . He tore up the US select team during the Nike Hoop Summit, so he has some type of talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has NBA level athleticism, and some of his issues are correctable. He was raved before he got drafted how great of a worth ethic / willing to learn he had from what I remember. He's only 22 for christ sake, and would've just been graduating a few months ago if he was in college . I could understand if he was already 25/26 years old already in his prime.

I don't get why people are so down on us picking him, when the 2013 draft was so bad from top to bottom . He tore up the US select team during the Nike Hoop Summit, so he has some type of talent.
    I think the issue is that he really hasn't developed. But he will get a chance to do that this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to my good friend @Jclifio for joining the @spurs family as well... Well deserved!! #SpursFamily

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The most interesting parts of the article:
    “He’s had a lot of growth since last year,” said Spurs assistant Becky Hammon, who coached Jean-Charles in each of the past two Las Vegas summer leagues. “He’s an athletic ‘four.’ We expect him to play great defense and grab a lot of boards.”
    By his own admission, Jean-Charles won’t be of much help as a scorer.
    “If I get points, I get points,” said Jean-Charles, who hails from Cayenne in French Guiana. “But that’s not my priority.”
    Likewise, the Spurs’ immediate goals for Jean-Charles at the offensive end are modest. They are hopeful he can improve his jump shot enough to extend to the 17-foot range.
    “That’s a shot he needs to be able to knock down,” Hammon said.

Last edited by SAGirl; 07-23-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True that he was the best player in the Nike Hoop summit. I cannot explain though that after 3 years in ASVEL, he made barely an impact.

On the other hand, maybe Spurs just need role players and not superstars.

Thread Information