My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA gone= win

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the same happens in game 2 it would be for the best if the Spurs were swept. No way Pop keeps the status quo, right?...
    Pop might double down if he's too embarrassed. Might need more Parker and Pau and Lee, getting the vets more reps in the season so they'll be fine tuned for the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be best to completely rebuild the big man rotation as well. Only keep Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive seen the light. Isolation dependent teams won't win in this era. I thought Kawhi's individual greatness would give them a shot but MJ himself wouldn't win in today's NBA. Guys like midnightpulp are right, the three point shot is just too much to overcome. I don't think its Kawhi's game being antiquated as much as it is the Spurs team in general being antiquated.

A couple guys that can penetrate, 4 shooters at all times, and a mobile, athletic center who can switch and is a lob threat is the new blueprint. Personnel wise, the Spurs are way behind the curve, unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This roster needs a major overhaul. Playing two stiff bigs lineups just isn't going to work anymore. Untill they fix that , they will be a cute little regular season team.

Bertans needs to be a starter next season, and we need to hire another stretch 4 guy just incase Davis doesn't pan out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Troll posting aside, the new era of basketball is threes. Face it. Spurs NEED to get Red this offseason, and line up the perimeter with three point threats. Run with Bertans, Mills, Green, Red on the perimeter and just chuck it up, it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, draft wings, wings, wings and more wings. Then go out and sign wing free agents. Then go and look for wings on the d-league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There won't really be an easy fix, regardless..realistically, they need better production everywhere other than Kawhi, but it isn't possible to blow up the entire rotation..

While it's true that the Spurs need to alter their approach and fix the frontcourt, you can't win in today's NBA without a high-level PG(Houston being the only exception, but Harden is essentially their PG, since Beverley is a small 2-guard)..they also need more 2-way wings, which has been the case for years..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive seen the light. Isolation dependent teams won't win in this era. I thought Kawhi's individual greatness would give them a shot but MJ himself wouldn't win in today's NBA. Guys like midnightpulp are right, the three point shot is just too much to overcome. I don't think its Kawhi's game being antiquated as much as it is the Spurs team in general being antiquated.

A couple guys that can penetrate, 4 shooters at all times, and a mobile, athletic center who can switch and is a lob threat is the new blueprint. Personnel wise, the Spurs are way behind the curve, unfortunately.
    And at the center of all those shooters, you need someone like Harden, Curry, Draymond, Lebron to facilitate. Although Kawhi has shown flashes of being a playmaker, him passing to a guy out of post up is a lot more antiquated than these PnR Maestros on top teams. That's where the "antiquated" comes in imo. Kawhi is still great, though. Hope they figure out a way to build around him before it's too late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the same happens in game 2 it would be for the best if the Spurs were swept. No way Pop keeps the status quo, right?...
    Pop was hamming it up in the post game press conference. At this rate, he might be going on a stand up comedy tour by the end of the series if they get swept.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And at the center of all those shooters, you need someone like Harden, Curry, Draymond, Lebron to facilitate. Although Kawhi has shown flashes of being a playmaker, him passing to a guy out of post up is a lot more antiquated than these PnR Maestros on top teams. That's where the "antiquated" comes in imo. Kawhi is still great, though. Hope they figure out a way to build around him before it's too late.
    Yep. I think Kawhi can help shoulder some of that facilitator load, I think he'll be a 5 APG guy next season but he won't ever be elite at it. Need someone else. His dominance in isolations could still be huge during late game situations/3PT shooting droughts but it can't be the basis of an offense in this era.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs simply don't have good shot creators ( they have a really good one, but he has a rookie disease and is glued to the bench because its not fair yet) .

Everyone outside of Kawhi is constantly being stonewalled by their man when they make any move towards the rim. When they are being stone walled by their own defender, it's depressing. Passes are being made to guarded players. It means the weakside defense doesn't have to work or move or bend. That is why we are seeing so many last second grenades being thrown up from Anderson, Manu, Patty, Green. We are so fortunate Parker has been decent to even still be in this series. Fact of the matter is, this is a perimeter oriented league. Patty can't get off anything, unless he cheats the D in transition, Manu is done, Anderson was crap tonight, Green looks like a PE All Star when he has to try to make a move. Even for the bigs, Aldridge has been a mess all year, he can't get by his guy or put any pressure at the rim with any moves. He's as predictable as they come on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What's sad is that the Spurs were ahead of the curve just 3 years ago but let all that go to sign a soft choking big man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn we need guys who can rebound and dribble the ball how hard is it to fine them?

Green Gone -Every year he has gotten worse he puts more of a burden on Kawhi as he can't dribble a ball for the life of him
    Soft Ridge- Come On Man you should be taking Timmy place but your playing like a Bench player...GONE.
    Simmon - You will be better off on another team..........FLY...
    Manu - My favorite player but father time always gets his man
    Deadman -????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Pau - Read Manu...............

Keep Players who Play with Passion and show up.
    Mills
    Lee

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's sad is that the Spurs were ahead of the curve just 3 years ago but let all that go to sign a soft choking big man
    They had an opportunity start their progress towards the Warriors/Rockets last summer by moving LA at the 5 and utilizing their resources to find another competent 2 way wing, but they wrongly chose to utilize their resources to sign an old plodding Center who can't play or matchup with the best teams in the league. Gasol was such a terrible decision.

But he was a great matchup vs. the 7th seed though right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I applaud how the Rockets are built, they'll obviously never win a le with that roster, tbh..

Looking at the Warriors, though, they're just a perfectly built team..obviously luck went a long way, but their team is full of 2-way players(if not 2-way, then at least not liabilities at 1 end of the floor)..they don't have to sacrifice offense for defense or vice-versa like the Spurs do..everybody can switch everything, they can play any style of play, etc..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I applaud how the Rockets are built, they'll obviously never win a le with that roster, tbh..

Looking at the Warriors, though, they're just a perfectly built team..obviously luck went a long way, but their team is full of 2-way players(if not 2-way, then at least not liabilities at 1 end of the floor)..they don't have to sacrifice offense for defense or vice-versa like the Spurs do..
    Rockets are another two way wing away .. one with length. Spurs are so much further behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They let it go because that team aged and began rapidly declining. At the time signing LMA was 100% the right move but completely changing the team's offensive style to '90s ISO-ball was a big damn mistake. That is on Poo.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get rid of LMA the off season grade is "A+".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had an opportunity start their progress towards the Warriors/Rockets last summer by moving LA at the 5 and utilizing their resources to find another competent 2 way wing, but they wrongly chose to utilize their resources to sign an old plodding Center who can't play or matchup with the best teams in the league. Gasol was such a terrible decision.

But he was a great matchup vs. the 7th seed though right?
    Just to rub salt in the wound, other than KD what other guys were available this past offseason to fill that role?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets are another two way wing away .. one with length. Spurs are so much further behind.
    Rockets can't play any style basketball, nor are they even close to an elite defense. Tonight's rape has more to do with the Spurs being exposed than Houston being good. They might beat the Spurs but they'll be lucky to take a game from.the Dubs unless they go ballistic from three (better than even tonight).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There won't really be an easy fix, regardless..realistically, they need better production everywhere other than Kawhi, but it isn't possible to blow up the entire rotation..

While it's true that the Spurs need to alter their approach and fix the frontcourt, you can't win in today's NBA without a high-level PG(Houston being the only exception, but Harden is essentially their PG, since Beverley is a small 2-guard)..they also need more 2-way wings, which has been the case for years..
    At this point, trading LA might be the quickest fix. He's damaged goods right now, so I don't know how much we could get for him.

Paul forcing a sign and trade scenario with the Clippers would be great (even with the awful contract Paul is probably going to command). If not, trading him to a desperate team for a combination of young wing/PG prospects could be good too.

At this point, I'm on the "addition by subtraction" stage with Aldridge and his mandatory low post touches. I know he's has been great on defense, but let's face it, Spurs are always going to be elite on defense as long as Pop is there.

Pau optiong out might be a blessing in desguise, and trading Tony's expiring would awesome too, but we all know that isn't going to happen so, depending on what the Spurs could get on a potential LA trade the roster could look like this:

Pipe dream:

Paul, Tony, Murray
    Green, Free agent, Forbes
    Kawhi, Free agent, drafted rookie
    Bertans, Free agent/drafted rookie, Anderson
    Dedmon, Free agent/drafted rookie, Lee

I don't know how much cap space not signing Mills, Simmons and Pau would make but it would be awesome if it was enough to sign someone like Red . If not, just try to get by with the MLE, vet min and rookies.

More realistic scenario:

Tony, Murray, Free agent
    Kawhi, player from the aldridge trade, drafted rookie
    Bertans, player from the Aldridge trade, Anderson
    Dedmon, Free agent/Pau, Lee.

In any scenario, the two bigs traditional line-up needs to go. If they don't trade Aldridge go:

Tony, Murray, Free agent
    Kawhi, Free agent, drafted rookie
    Bertans, Free agent/drafted rookie, Anderson
    LMA, Free agent/Pau, Lee.

On this scenario you let Dedmon go (unfortunately, 'cause he's the prototypical center you need on a successful team in today's NBA. Long, athletic and doesn't demand touches).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They let it go because that team aged and began rapidly declining. At the time signing LMA was 100% the right move but completely changing the team's offensive style to '90s ISO-ball was a big damn mistake. That is on Poo.
    Very true. The decline of Parker and Manu was evident and to this day Pop is still treating them like they're in 2007 form. Agree with Manu4tres that Gasol was just a horrible and useless signing as well. This roster was just horribly constructed since 2014 ended.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but it would be extremely difficult to match GS if they can keep their core..

As I've been saying for years, though, the number of 2-way players they have is overwhelming, especially compared to the Spurs..

Kawhi is the only consistent 2-way player on the roster, unfortunately..Spurs' ceiling is 3, and that's only if Green is making his 3s(which just isn't a reliable option anymore) and Aldridge shows up on offense(which is rare, nowadays)..

Warriors have at least 6 players in their rotation who aren't liabilities on either end of the floor(not even including the apparent improvement of Javale McGee), which is very impressive roster-building..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Looking at the Warriors, though, they're just a perfectly built team..obviously luck went a long way, but their team is full of 2-way players(if not 2-way, then at least not liabilities at 1 end of the floor)..they don't have to sacrifice offense for defense or vice-versa like the Spurs do..everybody can switch everything, they can play any style of play, etc..
    More than luck, it was signing Curry to a very friendly deal after his ankle injury.

Thread Information