Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of the seven above:
    1)Green is the priority (imho 11 to 13 mill using bird)
    2) KA is second (imho 7 to 10 using rfa)
    3) Gay is third but i would let him go if he opts out; imho also if he has a good seson is market is low (wing over 30, coming from bad injury)
    4) Bertans is fourth 'cause of his shooting skill (5 mill a year using early bird)
    5) Parker is fifth and imho not worth a big contract (ols, bad defense...has no market value except for us 'cause knows our offense)
    6) Forbes is 6th and probably gone in favor of Paul and our next first round choice
    7)Jolo is eventh and probably gone if not opt in in favor of signing Milutinov
    In the Spurs eyes, Parker is priority #1.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is a 6”1 SG I don’t think any team is going to throw money at him. He is a system player who will do well as a Spur player but would suck on most other teams. But he knows he got his chance because of Pop I think they will do a wink deal get paid less know and we got u next contract.

But let’s not forget White who I think is a more complete player and can do backup as PG and SG.
    Last edited by BackHome; 12-08-2017 at 03:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes and Bertans won't draw a huge amount of interest. Maybe Bertans, but you just let him go then.

I'd really like to keep Gay. We've only begun to see what free can do for us and I think he may be relatively cheap, valuing a winning franchise over money on a ty team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is a 6”1 SG I don’t think any team is going to throw money at him. He is a system player who will do well as a Spur player but would suck on most other teams. But he knows he got his chance because of Pop I think they will do a wink deal get paid less know and we got u next contract.

But let’s not forget White who I think is a more complete player and can do backup as PG and SG.
    Forbes can have a JJ Re -like career with his shooting. His form is absolutely perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re-signing Tony will be done.

So will Green imo.

Spurs need to look at dumping Mills to open up $$ to retain most of the FAs. It also would give the PG position some breathing room so DeJounte can actually have a consistent role moving forward next year.
    Patty Mills for Channing Frye + fillers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it is pretty reasonable to say that at least one of Forbes or Bertans (if not both) is gone.
    BAsed on just a quarter of a season gone by, I think Bertans is more likely.

Again bc the Spurs forwards are a point of strength and they may not maximize him when the team is at full health. Meanwhile the guards are in a bad state. Tony is getting older, minutes restricted, games rested, brittle, etc. Manu may retire. Dijon can't shoot, etc. Spurs sometimes really struggle getting scoring production from their guards even right now. So, if you can only pay one shooter, I do think Forbes has priority based on team needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Forbes is 6-3. To put this into perspective, he's already done more than Seth Curry did before he got his deal with Dallas. Curry had name recognition and all, but Bryn's also growing at a faster rate and the boost the Spurs brand gives.

I don't think it's remotely fair to call Forbes a system player, especially not a product of the Spurs system. The skills he has a transferable to almost any system. A guy like Troy Daniels got this much and is more limited than Forbes. Bryn's not a starting-caliber guy, but no one is talking that kind of pay anyway.

I don't think Bryn would want anything to do with a wink-wink deal. Not only is it against the CBA, but he couldn't trust that he'd get injured and lose that money. Plus, the team will likely not be in a good cap position until LMA's guaranteed years are done, so there's no clear path to more money coming up.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Lauvergne to opt in.

Cut Jean-Charles.

Parker $8M/2 years, player option
    Gasol opting out for $12M/2 years, player option, that high to save the $4M, and y'all know that Pau's a top 40 player currently in VA/RPM.

Then non-Bird Gay $10/2, player option.

Then get Green, Anderson, Forbes, Bertans to split the remainder, maybe a bit more, signing Green and Anderson last with Bird rights.

If that is not enough for any of the four, let him/them walk.

Try to sign Milutinov at the low end.

Better yet, sign Duncan for his third year stretched salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drom, I think you'll be happy to hear they've already cut LJC.

However, most of the rest of your post doesn't make sense. Pau can't opt out. Gay wouldn't opt out. Bird rights wouldn't be affected by signing order, as the team is over the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may be a thread we will revisit and comment on in the future. The season is early and we don't know Pop's full vision of the team.

Guys like Anderson, Forbes and Bertans did what they needed to do in contract years. They took advantage of injuries to show their games. They have place themselves in good positions to get paid. If that is elsewhere one has to be glad for them and really sad for the team.

Again, I detest multiyear contracts for everyone 31 and over and letting guys 24 and 25 years old go. But it can't be helped. They deserve to get paid. We will just have to see rest of the season and playoffs and see who really looks like a keeper then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Anderson(4 year, $36-40 million) Gay (2 years, $21 million), Green (4 years, $50 million) Parker (one year deal, the final year with the team), and Bertans to be back but I don't know about Forbes, this team could get super expensive next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1) hang out at the house for a couple of weeks and catch up on Friends
    2) then take annual tour of wine tasting regions of the world
    3) see if Matt is free to play cards
    4) ...did they cancel Friends
    5) watch YouTube for potential players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Anderson(4 year, $36-40 million) Gay (2 years, $21 million), Green (4 years, $50 million) Parker (one year deal, the final year with the team), and Bertans to be back but I don't know about Forbes, this team could get super expensive next year.
    I just don't see a point of paying three combo-forwards legit money. It's one of the easiest positions to find in the league. I think those first three contracts are pretty spot on, and Tony at the min could slot in with those numbers at that point its...

Parker, Mills, Murray
    Green, Manu, White
    Leonard, Anderson,
    Aldridge, Gay
    Gasol

Four spots and like $5-7 Million to fill them. The pick will be one and take up like $2 Million. Then it's finding another center and a wing. Paul being back would take a spot and like a million and a half. Same with Joff. That would leave them with less than $2 Million under the tax to sign a final player. Don't really see either Forbes or Bertans back for that, and they don't seem worth going into the tax to retain.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may be a thread we will revisit and comment on in the future. The season is early and we don't know Pop's full vision of the team.

I was hoping to start it now to kind of catalog the ups and downs of the stock for these guys, mostly the RFA's. I know it's early but, maybe we can get a better sense on who's played consistently and deservedly of being back.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One this is for sure. Fathead is at the bottom of their priorities. Gay, Green, Parker, and Forbes are all more important to this team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If in fact they have about $38M to spend, here's how I think it plays out . . .

- Green: 4/$50M
    - Parker: 2/$16M
    - Anderson: 4/$38M
    - Bertans: 3/$15M
    - Gay: opts out and signs elsewhere
    - Forbes: receives qualifying offer and either has it rescinded or signs offer sheet for 2/$8M that goes unmatched
    - Lauvergne: opts in

Leaves about $2M for the 1st and a minimum signing, while leaving a roster spot open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If in fact they have about $38M to spend, here's how I think it plays out . . .

- Green: 4/$50M
    - Parker: 2/$16M
    - Anderson: 4/$38M
    - Bertans: 3/$15M
    - Gay: opts out and signs elsewhere
    - Forbes: receives qualifying offer and either has it rescinded or signs offer sheet for 2/$8M that goes unmatched
    - Lauvergne: opts in

Leaves about $2M for the 1st and a minimum signing, while leaving a roster spot open.
    Thanks for your prediction.
    I have some questions about it.

Rudy? Are you certain he's going to be gone? I am assuming you think they underachieve, he sours and is gone.

I know you have said Forbes is blocked from playing time and it doesn't make sense for him to come back. I'd like him back, but it would require Tony leaving money to sign him.. right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for your prediction.
    I have some questions about it.

Rudy? Are you certain he's going to be gone? I am assuming you think they underachieve, he sours and is gone.

I know you have said Forbes is blocked from playing time and it doesn't make sense for him to come back. I'd like him back, but it would require Tony leaving money to sign him.. right?
    No, I'm not certain Gay is going to be gone. Think both sides preference would be to re-sign, but if that roughly $38M to spend is correct, I don't see how they could afford him.

Parker's contract has nothing to do with Forbes. It's simply a numbers game, with 6 guards projected to be back, Mills entrenched and playing the same role and leaving Murray a potential path to the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I'm not certain Gay is going to be gone. Think both sides preference would be to re-sign, but if that roughly $38M to spend is correct, I don't see how they could afford him.

Parker's contract has nothing to do with Forbes. It's simply a numbers game, with 6 guards projected to be back, Mills entrenched and playing the same role and leaving Murray a potential path to the rotation.
    I think most expect he will come back for less.

you think Manu comes back?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see a point of paying three combo-forwards legit money. It's one of the easiest positions to find in the league. I think those first three contracts are pretty spot on, and Tony at the min could slot in with those numbers at that point its...

Parker, Mills, Murray
    Green, Manu, White
    Leonard, Anderson,
    Aldridge, Gay
    Gasol

Four spots and like $5-7 Million to fill them. The pick will be one and take up like $2 Million. Then it's finding another center and a wing. Paul being back would take a spot and like a million and a half. Same with Joff. That would leave them with less than $2 Million under the tax to sign a final player. Don't really see either Forbes or Bertans back for that, and they don't seem worth going into the tax to retain.
    I have the Spurs salary being at $115,000,000, to 14 players for next season with the luxury tax being at almost $121,000,000. Manu retiring would add some breathing room and push that up to around $8.5.

I think Joff opts in and the Spurs pick up Paul.
    PATFO seems to really like Forbes, and Bertans, but they are likely to only retain one and that would seem to be Bertans because Forbes, while good, isn't irreplaceable. Bertans isn't either but he has more of a unique skill set.

Parker, Mills, Murray
    Green, Manu, Paul, White
    Kawhi, Anderson
    Aldridge, Gay, Bertans
    Gasol, Lauvergne, 1st rounder (hopefully a big)

Thats fifteen spots, 14 if Manu retires.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most expect he will come back for less.

you think Manu comes back?
    Parker? Of course he will, but it's going to be more than most presume.

No, think he retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have the Spurs salary being at $115,000,000, to 14 players for next season with the luxury tax being at almost $121,000,000. Manu retiring would add some breathing room and push that up to around $8.5.

I think Joff opts in and the Spurs pick up Paul.
    PATFO seems to really like Forbes, and Bertans, but they are likely to only retain one and that would seem to be Bertans because Forbes, while good, isn't irreplaceable. Bertans isn't either but he has more of a unique skill set.

Parker, Mills, Murray
    Green, Manu, Paul, White
    Kawhi, Anderson
    Aldridge, Gay, Bertans
    Gasol, Lauvergne, 1st rounder (hopefully a big)

Thats fifteen spots, 14 if Manu retires.
    Not counting Bertans, you're probably close on your estimate. Dunno how you counted the pick and whatnot, but I've yet to do a real breakdown of the salaries. Anyway, Manu retiring won't free up space, because his contract was clearly two seasons so he could retire and keep the money. As far as I know, it's not an option, either, so he can't even opt out and re-sign another deal if he wants to stay. While the team could stretch him, I hope they don't. Tim's $1.6 Million next year is one of the things making the math tight. I also don't know what value you assigned for Parker, but I don't think he's going to sign for one more year. He's the best PG on the roster now, and that could still be the case next year. That's even more true if Manu retires.

As far as Forbes vs Bertans, I do think Bertans makes more sense if he can be a legit big. But I do think Forbes is better than Davis right now, and if Manu retires, I could see Bryn having a better shot at the rotation than Bertans does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Keep Danny Green
    2. Find a trade partner for 50 Mills
    3. Keep Kyle Anderson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Find a trade partner for 50 Mills
    Thank You.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to do priorities yet bc season is early but it's nice to keep track of good performances.

Bryn deserves to get re-upped.

I don't care about the glut of guards or whatever ... sign that man.

Davis missed a bunch of shots tonight but it was one of his best defensive games that I have ever seen. He was really active.

Rudy scored efficiently but also had 4 TO, some unforced and some questionable or bad defense. He's a mixed bag right now.

Thread Information