Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just accept that there are not apples to apples comparisons for gun control between the US and the rest of the world. This problem is unique to our country and it will take a unique solution.

It would be like comparing the US economy to Argentina. Sure there are some small similarities, but the factors that make up each economy is so distinct, that say Argentina’s attempt to peg peso was disastrous for Argentina. And I’m not bagging on Argentina, I’m just saying we are looking at apples and oranges in a lot of ways.
    Of course I know you can't compare a country of 30 millions people to a country of 300 million.

I don't expect the mass-shootings to completely disappear in the US with stricter gun regulations since it is such a big country with so many nutjobs in it, but I do think that the number could be deceased considerably.

It's just basic common sense: would stricter gun control prevent some kids on psychotic outbursts from getting a gun and start killing people? Maybe yes, maybe not.

Would leaving things as they are prevent that? Definitely not.

Even if you prevent just 1 out of 10, or even 1 out of 100 mass-shootings it's worth it. That's hundreds and hundreds of innocent lives saved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had teenagers that put together homemade bombs and detonated them at the Boston Marathon to great affect.
    Yeah, the Boston marathon. What other incidents can you remember?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

False, there are other solutions. So if you left everything the same then of course nothing would change. It's a certainty that you can do other things besides gun control to impact people killing people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There wasn’t always an internet that tells you step by step how to make a homemade bomb, but there is now. There are other incidents of bomb making, like the unibomber. But if guns are hard to get ( I don’t think they will ever be for a motivated person, even with strict gun control laws) you’ll see more bombs I guess. It’s not the existence of guns that are motivating these people to kill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    False, there are other solutions. So if you left everything the same then of course nothing would change. It's a certainty that you can do other things besides gun control to impact people killing people.
    For example?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There wasn’t always an internet that tells you step by step how to make a homemade bomb, but there is now. There are other incidents of bomb making, like the unibomber. But if guns are hard to get ( I don’t think they will ever be for a motivated person, even with strict gun control laws) you’ll see more bombs I guess. It’s not the existence of guns that are motivating these people to kill.
    No, but it is the accessibility to guns which allows them to act on those impulses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That kid in Dallas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course I know you can't compare a country of 30 millions people to a country of 300 million.

I don't expect the mass-shootings to completely disappear in the US with stricter gun regulations since it is such a big country with so many nutjobs in it, but I do think that the number could be deceased considerably.

It's just basic common sense: would stricter gun control prevent some kids on psychotic outbursts from getting a gun and start killing people? Maybe yes, maybe not.

Even if you prevent just 1 out of 10, or even 1 out of 100 mass-shootings it's worth it. That's hundreds and hundreds of innocent lives saved.
    Yes but on every gun measure proposed, the own drafters of the legislation admit it won’t stop mass shootings. Politicians just want to be seen as “doing something “ so they aren’t seen as “doing nothing.” It’s bad public policy to pass stuff that restricts citizens’ rights without fixing the problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but it is the accessibility to guns which allows them to act on those impulses.
    I agree that guns are too accessible here. But if you ban guns, they will still be too accessible here. That’s why are problem is unique.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greater focus on mental health. Media not giving fame to mass murders. Promotion of things that make us more cohesive as a country(one the reasons I particularly hate protests during the anthem).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greater focus on mental health. Media not giving fame to mass murders. Promotion of things that make us more cohesive as a country(one the reasons I particularly hate protests during the anthem).
    Yes, but mental health focus still won’t help. We don’t recognize these people as too mentally ill to own a gun until they’ve killed 20 people and then themselves.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gregg needs a cause or he might not get his 30 for 30, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gregg needs a cause or he might not get his 30 for 30, tbh.
    I think Gregg is gonna be alright; his accomplishments alone will get him an hour with someone. Out of curiosity, what do you contribute that would garner a 30 for 30?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Gregg is gonna be alright; his accomplishments alone will get him an hour with someone. Out of curiosity, what do you contribute that would garner a 30 for 30?
    Pop had an unfair advantage to garner those accomplishments. He admitted himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loss in 2013 and win in 2014 should be and would be an epic 30 for 30.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop had an unfair advantage to garner those accomplishments. He admitted himself.
    Was that an answer to my question? Maybe I missed something....... I’ll wait

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police officers should have guns. Armed police officers aren't the same as armed civilians. No matter how crazy of a gun fanatic chances are that civilians either freeze or get overtaken by the situation during a terrorist attack of such magnitude and end up causing even more harm.

And yeah, I agree that if a crazy wants to do damage he will find a way to do it. But it's about making it harder for him, to cause the least damage possible and to prevent the lesser crazy s from doing it all-toghether. For example: if a school kid has a psychotic outburst for a moment, if he has a gun in hand he will do damage, if not he won't or at least will do less damage.

There is no factual basis to say that is how all civilians react. None what so ever. The fact is the list of people in this country who have used guns to successfully defend themselves is not a short one and recent history shows us that even unarmed people are willing to confront armed terrorist. When you say gun fantics you have this picture in your mind of a bunch of neckbeards sitting in a bunker drinking beer and telling what they would have done is them "damn towel heads" tried to get them. That couldn't be further from the truth. The vast majority of gun owners in this country are just every day responsible law abiding citizens. Concealed carry ups the bar quite a bit and a lot of people will have a fair amount of range time and training if they decide to go that route. Your weapon is only as good as the person carrying it. FYI most of the guys I work with can out shoot the officers we work with by a great deal.

I totally agree with you that a little screwball kid can do infinitely more damage with a gun. No question, but the guns have always been here and the reality is they are far more difficult to get now than they have ever been. So what's different? From my perspective two parties bear the lions share of the blame. Our media is one of them. We have these media freenzies that to an extent they turn into a sick celebration of the horrendous event. And the louder it gets the more it helps to further purputrate the very idea all the talking heads are condeming. But it isJoe Q public who are ultimately the ones who tune in. It doesn't matter if they are liberal or conservative, they are all watching.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're a funny dude, you came at me with the I think I hit a nerve Fact is I put your face in your pee... I'm the one who hit a nerve here... look at you crawling again, you never spent time on this board neither took time to post anything but here you are answering at everything I post.

any other french surrender comeback or you had enough ?

Whatever you have to tell yourself there Mr Really Educated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    see ? it was not that hard
    I am quickly getting the impression that your MO is to avoid avoid avoid so you don't have to actually respond to the conversation. If that is the quite educated method then you might want to kindly ask for your money back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was that an answer to my question? Maybe I missed something....... I’ll wait
    His accomplishments don't mean much because he had an unfair 50 yard head start.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His accomplishments don't mean much because he had an unfair 50 yard head start.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pop portion of the post was a statement...... no worries though.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Poop's accomplishments all seem to involve him being carried by black excellence (Duncan, D-Rob, Kawhi) and getting the credit from Media, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop's accomplishments all seem to involve him being carried by black excellence (Duncan, D-Rob, Kawhi) and getting the credit from Media, tbh.
    conversations about pop turn cn into an sjw

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information