Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milutinov may well still be eyeing what Bogdanovic got last year. him and the horse he swims over on if he thinks he's getting anything like that. SA should have plenty of money to bring over Nikola as a developmental player. They don't need to trade Gasol to make room, and even if they were to get rid of Pau, they aren't doing that fully expecting Milutinov to be in the rotation. They'll have another vet center to compete with him, or two if they go back to LMA at PF. I'm still expecting them to want him at his rookie deal, and there's a better chance in my mind of them getting him for it than them paying him more than $3-4 Million a year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Milutinov's representation is delusional enough to think they could get what Bogdanovic got last year.

I wouldn't pay him a cent more than his rookie deal. Zubac and Zizic got that and he's the same caliber of prospect.

If he balks, the likes of Len and Nogueira are available. Sure, they'll cost more, but they're proven, won't break the bank and he's unlikely to be better anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t understand why chinook thinks mulitinov wants a bogda deal, bogdanovic was a better and proven prospect a the Time.

He probably wants more than the rookie scale but not 9 million by year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would keep Gasol one more year even though I can't stand him but I understand that it takes bigs longer to grasp the Spurs system. Add to the fact that Nikola has to learn US basketball I think Gasol will be a good mentor and will greatly accelerate Nikola growth.

But it is time to bring him over he was a first round draft and he fits very well with the Spurs system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t understand why chinook thinks mulitinov wants a bogda deal, bogdanovic was a better and proven prospect a the Time.

He probably wants more than the rookie scale but not 9 million by year.
    But what's "not 9 million by year"? $6 Million? that. Dude's still a rookie-scale player, and SA is going to be paying his buyout. More than the actual APY, the issue with giving him more is getting a year less of control. A Spanish League MVP like Splitter getting like half the MLE is one thing. A rotational big expecting big money is another. And yes, I think there is something earlier in this thread about them looking at what Bogdanovic got and it factoring into their decision to wait.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not 6 millions , maybe 4-5. When splitter came To SA, salaries were low. Actually 5 millions is under the MLE.

Imo he’ll not command something equal or over the actual MLE but if he wants more he’ll not be a spur. I like him but he is not a 7-9 million/year player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But what's "not 9 million by year"? $6 Million? that. Dude's still a rookie-scale player, and SA is going to be paying his buyout. More than the actual APY, the issue with giving him more is getting a year less of control. A Spanish League MVP like Splitter getting like half the MLE is one thing. A rotational big expecting big money is another. And yes, I think there is something earlier in this thread about them looking at what Bogdanovic got and it factoring into their decision to wait.
    The something earlier in this thread about bogdanovic money was unsourced speculation by you:

Yes the Spurs would be wise to sign him to the exception if at all possible. I think Nikola has a Bogdanovic-like deal in mind. I wouldn't want any part of that.
    So you might be remembering your own speculation as something more concrete. Because the first mention of Bogdanovic after he got his deal is by you I think.

No big deal. I posted after that how I was worried the Spurs wouldn't even give him a Splitter deal because of the market opportunities with the mle for this summer.

But I've become more hopeful. Particularly because of the agent change. That agency needs a new deal to get some money, not waiting around years for his euro contract to be up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The something earlier in this thread about bogdanovic money was unsourced speculation by you:

So you might be remembering your own speculation as something more concrete. Because the first mention of Bogdanovic after he got his deal is by you I think.

No big deal. I posted after that how I was worried the Spurs wouldn't even give him a Splitter deal because of the market opportunities with the mle for this summer.

But I've become more hopeful. Particularly because of the agent change. That agency needs a new deal to get some money, not waiting around years for his euro contract to be up
    I went back and read that post by me. I have an edit open in another tab from like a minute after my post that I didn't save for some reason. Anyway, you could be right, but I sort of remember something when Bogdanovic's contract coming out that Nikola or his (previous?) agent commented on it. I'll be happy to be wrong here.

The Spurs drafting Walker makes it less appealing to use the full MLE this summer. Milutinov coming over and signing Metu/another young big should take care of centers. Re-signing at least two of Gay, Anderson and Bertans and either keeping or moving Leonard for a SF takes care of forwards. And Walker, Murray, White, Mills and Green are good for guards, not even factoring in Tony and Manu (or Paul, Forbes, Hanlan, etc). I see them needing maybe a vet PG if they let Tony go, a versatile wing if enough of those guys leave or a vet center to compete with Metu/Milutinov if Pau gets dealt. It's likely that any Leonard trade would involve multiple rotation-caliber players coming back -- more likely, unfortunately than it is for it to involve multiple players from SA going out. I think SA can or at least should have a full rotation without needing outside free agents.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, not spending full mle, say only a Splitter type deal for Milutinov plus a 3 year minimum for Metu does pretty much lock the roster up if they keep as you say 2 of Gay, Anderson and Bertans

Saving that money by not spending full MLE might be useful if they do come to terms with Kawhi in a supermax level deal, gotta keep the payroll as lean as possible going forward if that happened

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FIBA WC European qualifier game is on Friday. We should know more about his health situation by then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went back and read that post by me. I have an edit open in another tab from like a minute after my post that I didn't save for some reason. Anyway, you could be right, but I sort of remember something when Bogdanovic's contract coming out that Nikola or his (previous?) agent commented on it. I'll be happy to be wrong here.

The Spurs drafting Walker makes it less appealing to use the full MLE this summer. Milutinov coming over and signing Metu/another young big should take care of centers. Re-signing at least two of Gay, Anderson and Bertans and either keeping or moving Leonard for a SF takes care of forwards. And Walker, Murray, White, Mills and Green are good for guards, not even factoring in Tony and Manu (or Paul, Forbes, Hanlan, etc). I see them needing maybe a vet PG if they let Tony go, a versatile wing if enough of those guys leave or a vet center to compete with Metu/Milutinov if Pau gets dealt. It's likely that any Leonard trade would involve multiple rotation-caliber players coming back -- more likely, unfortunately than it is for it to involve multiple players from SA going out. I think SA can or at least should have a full rotation without needing outside free agents.
    Project Spurs has a Milutinov piece out that references a Greek writer's opinion on things from June 20 a few days ago.

That Greek writer speculates that Milutinov might ask for the Bogdanovic deal, and that the BAE might be too small.

http://nba.sport24.gr/article/523606...i-tis-upomonis

Milutinov worked the previous two summers in Texas and had contact with his future team, he knew in 2017 that he had to stay for one more year at Olympiacos. Because after Khem Birch's departure he would become the centerpiece, as well as because he felt he was ready to dominate the EuroLeague, which he had not yet managed to distinguish. In addition to all, he wanted to spend three years from the draft day so he could get the right to negotiate with the Spurs on a zero basis without being bound by the rookie's standard earnings. Dario Saric, for example, moved to the NBA two years after his election to Draft and got a small deal ($ 7,267,680 for three years) in front of Bogdan Bogdanovic's three years after his own choice, he asked and got by the Kings three-year contract of $ 27,000,000.

Given that it's been three years since the Spurs chose him at the end of the first round, Milutinov may ask for whatever he wants. This, of course, means that the agreement with the San Antonio team will be more difficult, without changing the common desire of both sides for an agreement.

From Milutinov's side, now, things are simple. The Serbian center will chase a deal like Bogdan Bogdanovic signed with Sacramento Kings ($ 27,000,000 for three years), which the Spurs can give him with the full mid-level exception that will reach $ 8.6 million in the first year of a three-year or four-year agreement. The San Antonio team may use this exception once a year, even if it is above the salary cap limit. It is difficult, unlikely, for the Serb to accept the $ 3.4 million bi-annual exception in his first year at the NBA, and the truth is he has no reason to play for that money.
    I would expect a deal for more than 3.4 per year ... I could see 3/12 or 3/15 and I think it would be reasonable. I doubt that the Spurs would ever pay full MLE and I also doubt that Milutinov would demand or stay in Europe. His new agency needs to get their money, after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Project Spurs has a Milutinov piece out that references a Greek writer's opinion on things from June 20 a few days ago.

That Greek writer speculates that Milutinov might ask for the Bogdanovic deal, and that the BAE might be too small.

http://nba.sport24.gr/article/523606...i-tis-upomonis

I would expect a deal for more than 3.4 per year ... I could see 3/12 or 3/15 and I think it would be reasonable. I doubt that the Spurs would ever pay full MLE and I also doubt that Milutinov would demand or stay in Europe. His new agency needs to get their money, after all.
    Thanks. I knew I wasn't the only one with that idea. Eff that writer. First, the Spurs can't sign Milutinov to either the LLE or rMLE. Those both cap out at two years, and any non-rookie-scale deal for first-rounders needs to be at least three. Second, Bogdan at least made the All-Euroleague team before he came over. Milutinov has not grounds to compare contracts with Bogdanovic. I originally thought the article was written like a year ago. It would have made sense then if the writer was still stuck on last year's cap environment. But in the current climate, there's no way you give unproven players but chunks of cash. I only consider a $12M/3 if that last year is non-guaranteed or a team option. I'd also consider $18M/4 if the third year was non-guaranteed and the final year was a team option.
    Last edited by Chinook; 06-27-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No summer league for him and no surgery, he's back with the national team

Good news for the selector and his associates is that from Thursday night the roster of Serbia will be stronger for Nikola Milutin. After regular consultations with club and representative doctors, the Serbian Center decided not to undergo operative surgery to solve the problem with the knee that has been troubling it recently. After the end of the season, Milutinov performed a magnetic resonance which showed that his condition improved, which avoided leaving "under the knife".
    source, mozzartsport

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I knew I wasn't the only one with that idea. Eff that writer. First, the Spurs can't sign Milutinov to either the LLE or rMLE. Those both cap out at two years, and any non-rookie-scale deal for first-rounders needs to be at least three. Second, Bogdan at least made the All-Euroleague team before he came over. Milutinov has not grounds to compare contracts with Bogdanovic. I originally thought the article was written like a year ago. It would have made sense then if the writer was still stuck on last year's cap environment. But in the current climate, there's no way you give unproven players but chunks of cash. I only consider a $12M/3 if that last year is non-guaranteed or a team option. I'd also consider $18M/4 if the third year was non-guaranteed and the final year was a team option.
    Not to mention the Center market is BRUTAL this summer. After Dallas signed DeAndrea or Cousins, who else really needs a lumbering Center these days?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not bad, splitter 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not bad, splitter 2.0
    Or Gortat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe some of the worst defense I've seen from him, his knee, despite no surgery, looks to still be bothering him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a Spur this year allegedly

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...ain-milutinov/

Olympiacos fully expected to retain Milutinov

The Serbian center who has been with Olympiacos since 2015, signed a three-year contract last year that included an NBA-out as well as higher salary.

The Spurs who own Milutinov’s draft rights, have the option to bring him over but the deadline is on July 20th.

According to Eurohoops sources, Nikola Milutinov will surely remain with Olympiacos and the announcement is just a matter of time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feeling the ship is starting to sail on this guy with the addition of Poertl today. They seem like similar players, and don’t really see the need for two (not to mention Jakob is younger).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They bring him when they let old man Gasol go next year so we got two young bigs to play with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he’ll be in San Antonio someday...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't like how he's developed. Like it's cool that he's a rolling big and can rebound well enough, but his lack of anything else is really concerning, considering this is his fourth season since being drafted. Maybe things would have been different had he come over immediately, but it seems like he'd struggle to do anything more than eat minutes in the NBA. Each year he's over there, he's getting more and more expensive, but the NBA is paying guys with his skill-set less and less. It's not a great combo. For the $4 Millionish he would likely need to jump over, the team could get a big who's already in the league and who has a better track record. So it makes sense for PATFO to hold the line at the rookie scale, while it makes sense for Nikola to want at least double that.

That 2015 draft man. PATFO didn't miss out on a superstar or anything, but there are a number of legit NBA bigs the front office passed on that could have changed the trajectory of the past few years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl’s addition complicates things for this guy. There really isn’t a need to have two of those types of bigs on the roster anymore. Probably smarter to give players of the Metu profile more of a shot.

Thread Information