Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    First, that's no different that you thinking atheism is the natural end to critical thinking on the god subject. Of course, I feel like I'm thinking correctly and so my conclusions would be the result of correct thinking by anyone. That's not really an issue.

Secondly, you haven't demonstrated any actual thought process. You just used an empiricist axiom. That took about as much thinking as posting a Commandment would have.
    You just selected one of the many god beliefs and used it as a "might be" then called yourself theist. You just happened to select the most passive one, one that doesn't require you to define the god in any real way. I simply put all god beliefs to the same test and all have failed. It's therefore more correct for me to conclude that none of the exist than to arbitrarily choose one and set about defending it tooth and nail.
    An actual ad homenim fallacy right there. Surprised you didn't point it out.
    So we agree it's without merit. No reason to discuss it further.
    Perhaps if you didn't split my response in half, you'd get why it's not circular.
    But it is circular. Any time you say a group does something to identify with itself, that's circular.
    It's not easier than finishing the process. It doesn't have the benefit of making a person feel smart.
    It's easier.

It makes a person feel they have all the answers in one neat word "god" and as a bonus, the moral high ground.

The answer can be used for anything by even a child:

Why is the sky blue? Because god made it blue

How did that tree get there? God put it there

What causes cancer? God causes cancer

But cancer is bad. Not if God causes it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    So you're discrediting my atheist views because you think I'm an arrogant jackass? Isn't that ad hominem?
    No. Is an ad homenim really such a hard concept to understand? I'm saying your at ude sucks. I'm not arguing that atheism sucks because your at ude sucks. There should be no reason why you haven't figured out what ad homenims are by now.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Up to this point in the debate, you have made the following concessions:

1. The Bible is full of contradictions.
    2. The Bible's content is archaic and barbaric.
    3. The Bible consists of outdated customs, rituals, and knowledge of an outdated culture.

Taken together, the fact that you acknowledge all this and still continue to hold the Bible up as a paragon of literature is beyond me. If the Almighty Creator of the Universe were truly to have written this book (or at least inspired the people who wrote it), I'm sure he could have done much better than write a book replete with errors and mutual contradictions.
    How do you presume I made concessions? I have stated my thoughts exactly the same way throughout this debate. I have thoroughly answered all of your questions, yet you refuse to answer mine.

The Bible is indeed a paragon of literature. It is also one of the oldest recorded books in history. It is one of the most influential books in the history of mankind. How could you not look at it as a paragon of literature?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Name
    You pronounce my name "Kwah-li," any questions?
    I bring many blessings with my man Hi-Tek and he from the 'Natti....
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    College
    Boise State Broncos
    No. Is an ad homenim really such a hard concept to understand? I'm saying your at ude sucks. I'm not arguing that atheism sucks because your at ude sucks. There should be no reason why you haven't figured out what ad homenims are by now.
    They must not have covered logical fallacies on the test he paid $30 for to be told he's one of the bestest and smartest

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    To say the Bible teaches morality is to say the overall message of the Bible is a message of morality, not that you can find some bits and pieces of it that you feel are rooting in morality.
    I go to school and open a World History textbook. Do I only learn about one country?

Since when does a small passage a whole book make?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So you're discrediting my atheist views because you think I'm an arrogant jackass? Isn't that ad hominem?
    where did chinook specifically discredit your atheist views?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We've already been through this. If the Bible teaches morality, then it does a horrible job at doing so. Any sane, rational person living in the 21st century (including you) can come up with a list of 10 commandments that immediately surprasses the quality of that which is found in the Bible.
    Was the Bible written in the 21st century? In those times it could have possibly been one of the most moral books ever written. I cannot claim that for fact, but the possibility is very likely.

comeattheKINGbestnotmiss rogues's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    The education in the Phillipines has to be baaaaaad..having interacted with pussy liberal art majors, majority being poly sci prelaw, those are some of the most re ed people I've ever come across..I can't imagine how much stupider a foreign poly sci student is..esssssspecially one from that third world island..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You just selected one of the many god beliefs and used it as a "might be" then called yourself theist. You just happened to select the most passive one, one that doesn't require you to define the god in any real way. I simply put all god beliefs to the same test and all have failed. It's therefore more correct for me to conclude that none of the exist than to arbitrarily choose one and set about defending it tooth and nail.
    Bro, we had an entire thread to hash out my constructive. Why you choose now to make an argument that ignores that is beyond me. But I don't aim to change your thought process, so whatevs. I will say that if you evaluate every "belief" about god the same way, you didn't use critical thinking.

So we agree it's without merit. No reason to discuss it further.
    We agree you didn't really address it. We can let it flow through if you want.

But it is circular. Any time you say a group does something to identify with itself, that's circular.
    Do individuals not do things to identify with their group? Pretty sure you had no problem asserting that when you were talking about the social constraints surrounding theism.

It's easier.

It makes a person feel they have all the answers in one neat word "god" and as a bonus, the moral high ground.
    First, I mistyped. I meant to say that atheism is easier than finishing the process, not that it's not.

Secondly, it's just as easy to say, "because physical events led to that" as it is to say "because god." They're the same type of trivial answer that doesn't address the proximate mechanisms. But the former is still a true statement, at least one we agree on. We disagree on the latter. That's just an example of why theism isn't incompatible with science at all. A lack of critical thinking is incompatible with most epistemology, however.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How do you presume I made concessions? I have stated my thoughts exactly the same way throughout this debate. I have thoroughly answered all of your questions, yet you refuse to answer mine.

The Bible is indeed a paragon of literature. It is also one of the oldest recorded books in history. It is one of the most influential books in the history of mankind. How could you not look at it as a paragon of literature?
    You have not answered a single one of my questions.

Previously, I had broken down your posts part by part and tried to answer each point you'd made exhaustively. I then went on to ask you questions--questions which you completely ignored, so you could bypass all the rebuttals I made and repeat the same point which I'd already refuted a million times. And then you proceed to accuse me of evading your points.

Just to recapitulate, here's a list of some among the many questions I'd asked you before:
    1. If the Bible is divinely inspired, why is it so full of contradictions?
    2. If the Bible is a reliable source of morality, why can you and I easily make up a list of 10 commandments better the ones contained in it?
    3. Why are you privileging the Bible? Why not talk about the Q'uran and the Torah, and uphold those as paragons of literaure?
    4. Why do you continue to insist that the doctrines of these holy books are compatible, when the civilizations that have adhered to them have spent centuries trying to foist their religion upon other people, while killing all those who disagree with them?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    recapitulate

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Was the Bible written in the 21st century? In those times it could have possibly been one of the most moral books ever written. I cannot claim that for fact, but the possibility is very likely.
    Excuse me? There is NO CENTURY IN HUMANITY that a book that sanctions slavery, subjugates women, abominizes sexuality, and mercilessly commits genocide against warring factions can EVER be considered a moral book.

“If you think that it would be impossible to improve upon the Ten Commandments as a statement of morality, you really owe it to yourself to read some other scriptures. Once again, we need look no further than the Jains: Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: 'Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being.' Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible.”
    Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're inclined to think my at ude sucks because you privilege religion, and construe any attack against is as a form of arrogance. I can't blame you; our culture insists that its taboo to criticize religious beliefs. All I'm doing is levying criticism on bad ideas without respect for these taboos. If you think that's arrogant, then fine, I honestly couldn't care less. I've never sought your approval.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Name
    You pronounce my name "Kwah-li," any questions?
    I bring many blessings with my man Hi-Tek and he from the 'Natti....
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    College
    Boise State Broncos
    This is exactly what I mean when I say that Urinel tries too hard to sound smart.... instead of just saying "recap" like the entire rest of the English-speaking world, he just has to use the archaic longer version of the word....

Meanwhile, he can't grasp simple concepts like the "ad hominem" fallacy, proving that his "intellect" is superficial and forced....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You're inclined to think my at ude sucks because you privilege religion, and construe any attack against is as a form of arrogance. I can't blame you; our culture insists that its taboo to criticize religious beliefs. All I'm doing is levying criticism on bad ideas without respect for these taboos. If you think that's arrogant, then fine, I honestly couldn't care less. I've never sought your approval.
    That, my friend, is an actual ad homenim.

Plus, it's demonstrably baseless, since atheists in this thread have much even more critical of you than I have.

Again, your contentions haven't gone passed entry level. No one is floundering to keep up with your intellect.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My use of big words is evidence of my superior verbal IQ, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Bible does not contradict itself. You are simply reading out of context or know nothing of the scriptures.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That, my friend, is an actual ad homenim.

Plus, it's demonstrably baseless, since atheists in this thread have much even more critical of you than I have.

Again, your contentions haven't gone passed entry level. No one is floundering to keep up with your intellect.
    What contentions have I made that haven't gotten past "entry-level?"

As I'd already stated previously, I never tried to argue for the nonexistence of God. It's impossible to prove a negative, and so the default position is to assume God doesn't exist. All I've been doing in this thread is criticising religion, something which has evidently upset you enough on a personal level to launch personal attacks like "arrogant" and "jackass."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You have not answered a single one of my questions.

Previously, I had broken down your posts part by part and tried to answer each point you'd made exhaustively. I then went on to ask you questions--questions which you completely ignored, so you could bypass all the rebuttals I made and repeat the same point which I'd already refuted a million times. And then you proceed to accuse me of evading your points.

Just to recapitulate, here's a list of some among the many questions I'd asked you before:
    1. If the Bible is divinely inspired, why is it so full of contradictions?
    2. If the Bible is a reliable source of morality, why can you and I easily make up a list of 10 commandments better the ones contained in it?
    3. Why are you privileging the Bible? Why not talk about the Q'uran and the Torah, and uphold those as paragons of literaure?
    4. Why do you continue to insist that the doctrines of these holy books are compatible, when the civilizations that have adhered to them have spent centuries trying to foist their religion upon other people, while killing all those who disagree with them?
    Here are my answers then.

1. I actually agreed from the beginning of the debate that I question its divinity. I did not concede it.
    2. It has been thousands of years and yet 4 of the commandments (I do believe that I do not have to explain the importance of the 10 commandments within Christianity and Judaism) still hold true to this day. I would say that is reliable.
    3. I have quoted the Quran and the Torah. They are not ignored by me. I do not have as much time researching those as the Bible, so I decline to use them out of respect to those who know more about them than myself. Those books are also some of the most influential books in history. How could they not be paragons.
    4. It is one of the main points of the books that are strikingly similar. The belief in one true God is what is compatible. The main difference seems to be in the way the worship and understanding is applied.

Does this satisfy you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    My use of big words is evidence of my superior verbal IQ, tbh.

^ok seriously whose troll is this?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Epic fail.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    meh the fact that you posted one of these pics with a guy wearing a cross sort of discredits the whole joke

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    meh the fact that you posted one of these pics with a guy wearing a cross sort of discredits the whole joke

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    What contentions have I made that haven't gotten past "entry-level?"

As I'd already stated previously, I never tried to argue for the nonexistence of God. It's impossible to prove a negative, and so the default position is to assume God doesn't exist. All I've been doing in this thread is criticising religion, something which has evidently upset you enough on a personal level to launch personal attacks like "arrogant" and "jackass."
    Again, ad homenim.

First, your OP is entry-level stuff. Second, looking for inconsistencies in the bible is entry-level. The constant strawmen you've used are entry-level. Your insistence on thinking I'm religious (for I'd have to be to disagree with you amirite?) is entry-level. You tossing out "fallacies" is entry-level.

Seriously, dude, it's grade-A vanilla stuff here. I'm not accusing you of being dumb or anything. But I do think you're incredibly inexperienced in this debate. You clearly haven't thought through both sides of the argument and taken them to beyond opening contentions. What's the point of being intellectual if you aren't going to actually analyze the issue before speaking on them?

Thread Information