Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how you can really run any post-oriented offense right now when this backcourt can't shoot, penetrate, nor playmake. For once, I can't put anything on Pop. I have little clue what kind of "system" you can run when your guards are a 34 year old who plays like he's 45, a system spot shooter with zero athleticism, handles, and in-between game, a 60 year old, an ultra raw "monkeyballer," and an undersized PG who plays more like an SG.
    It's on Pop for putting together this awful backcourt in the first place.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I say let Kawhi be Jordan in the RS. Let him learn how to play the number one option at an elite level. We ain't winning if Kawhi ain't scoring 30 a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. The Manu and Parker loyalty contracts killed us in that regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And those shots will be there. Opposing teams will just start packing the inside to contain LMA/Kawhi/Pau because no one fears D-League, Manure, Simmons, Porker burning them.
    Simmons is dleague too, undrafted at that. So you have two dleague players there. I think Simms ha established he is an athlete but he can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It always die come back to Pop and the FO when it comes to roster construction....

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    parker is a problem. and i guess pop has no intention of... tending to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the beginning of the season they were saying how the Spurs had the best frontcourt in the league (Pau, LMAlpha, and the KingSlayer) and how the Dubs had the best backcourt. At the time it reminded me of the 80's when the Celtics had the dominant frontcourt, while the Lakers (whom I preferred) was more known for it's backcourt. (However any frontcourt with Kareem and Big Game James (Worthy) can't be considered subpar). That being said people never raved about the Celtics back court but they did enough to get the job done. Hopefully the same can be said about the Spurs. Now that I think of it in total MVParker, Manu, Microwave, Dijon, Verde isn't the worst assemblage of back court talent ever. Not ideal but it is not like I would put it in the bottom fifth. Experience counts for something.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

but but but Parker needs to take a step back

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^I haven't looked at the numbers, but I bet the Spurs' starting backcourt averages waaaayyy less shot attempts and usage % than the others, obviously Pretty flawed "analysis", tbh..

I don't know why people can't accept that the build of this roster was strategic, rather than a product of lack of alternatives..it has been purposefully built to be anti-Golden State and frontcourt-heavy..Pau is the 3rd member of the "big 3" on this team, he was the prized off-season acquisition..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I would think the team is doing all right in terms of total back-court production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^I haven't looked at the numbers, but I bet the Spurs' starting backcourt averages waaaayyy less shot attempts and usage % than the others, obviously Pretty flawed "analysis", tbh..
    They would be attempting more shots if they were actually good..it is that simple..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would be attempting more shots if they were actually good..it is that simple..
    They wouldn't have a loaded frontcourt if they had a star in the backcourt, that's how they chose to build the team(there also wasn't a notable backcourt option to sign instead of Pau during the off-season, he was the best option in terms of offensive ability)..

The Warriors have Draymond/Zaza(neither can create their own shot or score efficiently) up front and Houston doesn't have anything in their frontcourt..Cleveland arguably doesn't, either, actually, since Love can barely create his own shot anymore..Spurs just chose to build their team the opposite way, it's what made the most sense, all things considered..

Spurs also have the best bench backcourt in the NBA FWIW, tbh..

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn't have a loaded frontcourt if they had a star in the backcourt, that's how they chose to build the team(there also wasn't a notable backcourt option to sign instead of Pau during the off-season, he was the best option in terms of offensive ability)..

The Warriors don't have a single scorer in their frontcourt(starter or bench) right now(depends if you consider Durant to be a backcourt player or frontcourt) and neither does Houston..Cleveland arguably doesn't, either, actually, since Love can barely create his own shot anymore..Spurs just chose to build their team the opposite way, it's what made the most sense, all things considered..

They also have the best bench backcourt in the NBA, tbh..
    Don't the murder the kid. He just started watching basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just made the most sense, stylistically..

1- Opposite style of the Warriors, since Spurs were never going to beat them at their own game..loading up in the frontcourt allows them to dominate the boards, pound them inside(as Aldridge did in last season's W), etc

2- There wasn't a single perimeter option during Free Agency that was anywhere near Gasol's level as an offensive talent IIRC(not to mention the Spurs didn't really know what they were getting in Dedmon and Bertans)

3- This style also allows them to utilize Parker/Ginobili, which was always going to be the case..their loyalty contracts are signed, and Pop was never going to bury them in a Bonner role..you can't ignore that all these people are human, they aren't robots with no emotions..they have built relationships and have a place in the community, the Spurs were never going to on them while they were still active..

Spurs aren't the Patriots and basketball isn't football..sure, it might be the best move to be ruthless and ignore past contributions(like the Heat did with Wade, which has helped them, this season and probably going forward), but Pop and Buford were never going to do that..
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 03-13-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though that stat obviously doesn't reflect well, it's also an antiquated evaluation and the Spurs starting guards play significantly less minutes and have a significantly lesser usage rate than most. Sure, if they were better that wouldn't be the case, but I don't think there's quite the gap that's portrayed in that stat.

It might have been a little of column A (strategic), but it was definitely a lot of column B (lack of alternatives) and you unknowingly somewhat made the case why.

In addition . . .

- After years of meticulous planning and some luck, it just so happened that '15 was the year that they were in position to be major players in free agency and there was a major player who was interested in playing for them, who just so happened to be a big . . . they obviously couldn't afford to be picky about position, style, etc.

- In '16, they were left with a gaping hole in the middle and though different, there was something of an archetype available, who also just so happened to want to play for them

- They at least had four rotation guards at their disposal

Going back to the '15 off season, even though the Warriors were coming off of a 67 win season and a (gift wrapped) championship, I don't think that the other contenders were yet at the point where they were building their team specifically with them in mind. It's easy to forget now, but going into that season, most people thought there were 5-6 legit contenders and they were not even regarded as the favorites.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know why people can't accept that the build of this roster was strategic, rather than a product of lack of alternatives..it has been purposefully built to be anti-Golden State and frontcourt-heavy..Pau is the 3rd member of the "big 3" on this team, he was the prized off-season acquisition..
    Maybe "design" after already having realized what an awful contract they gave TP back then, tbh. It's obvious the Spurs didn't thought Tony was going to be providing such modest production at this stage of his career when they signed that. Starting from that point, the whole "design" thing should be written with major inverted commas, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    these losers. From Porker to House to Manure to D-League. All .

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    these losers. From Porker to House to Manure to D-League. All .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And per the topic: among playoff teams, our backcourt rotation is dead in' last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They all suck, including your boy House. We go as far as the frontline takes us. That's it.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They all suck, including your boy House. We go as far as the frontline takes us. That's it.
    Pop experimenting all game. I'm not sure if you noticed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony out injured, as is Dijon a lot recently, Patty's inconsistent and Verde's shot and defense MIA, it doesn't look good add in Manu's turnovers ay yi yi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We shall see the results of that idea. At one point it becomes superfluous bc you can't play all your best players at the same time when most of them are forwards or centers. It's a point of strength but I think it's become more unbalanced than they thought bc some guys fell off a cliff, are injury prone and others way too limited to make up for what the others lost.I feel like these losses have hurt more than anything bc the team isn't playing that well.

Thread Information