Page 11 of 376 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If tp retires would spurs get cap space
    Doubt he retires - why give up that salary?

More likely they can apply for Disabled Player Exception if he's out for the year (or they could stretch him), though it comes with limitations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt he retires - why give up that salary?

More likely they can apply for Disabled Player Exception if he's out for the year (or they could stretch him), though it comes with limitations.
    If it's bad enough, he can take a medical retirement, which I think still pays him, only it's by insurance and not the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And yeah, I'm officially lukewarm about signing George Hill..Dude has become the Splitter of PGs..Unless it is Chris Paul, don't go after any 30 year-olds..We need to get younger..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    even before parker got hurt it was laughable that some people preferred to not sign cp3.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this is a business. hopefully spurs do something about that contract asap after the playoffs end.

people on here like, "can we buy him out so we can resign him (when he's healthy)?"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Parker injury sucks.

If he is out extended time, I wonder if that makes the Spurs more likely to do a mini rebuild next year (e.g., trade LMA).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Parker injury sucks.

If he is out extended time, I wonder if that makes the Spurs more likely to do a mini rebuild next year (e.g., trade LMA).
    Not with Pop at the helm.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get ready fellas, here's your backup SF next year

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/549089b6-...ack-if-he.html

Butler would come back if he could play for Warriors, Cavs, or Spurs

"Yo RC! What's the deal homie?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is nothing we can do. I am not sure what the rules are for the disability cap grant. Unless he announces retirement, I don't see the Spurs trading his contact for a worst deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs waive Tony between July 1, and Aug. 31, his remaining year of salary can be stretched over three years. (Twice the remaining contract, plus one year.) So he would only cost $5.15 M against the cap next season - but he would count $5.15 M against the cap for the next two seasons after that.

I think that would definitely allow them to afford Patty, if that's the route they want to go - or to go shopping for a replacement, if they can find anyone better.

The league has a Disabled Player Exception, for when a player sustains a career-ending injury. The team can apply for the exception 1 year from the date of the player's last game. The player continues to get paid, but the salary doesn't count against the team's cap. Since Tony only has one year left on his contract, it seems like that wouldn't help the Spurs. But... I can't find anything that says whether the two provisions can be used together. If the Spurs could stretch Tony's salary over three years, plus get the Disabled Player Exception at the end of the first year, it seems like they could get by with him only costing $5.15M against the cap next season, and nothing against the cap for the remaining two years.

Any CBA experts out there know if those two can be combined? Losing Parker is a blow, but that would cushion it a little bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time to rebuild. No more signing these TOSBs for short term contracts with limited future upside. We need to get some young assets and develop them. It's the Kiwi era boys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not with Pop at the helm.
    You're probably right, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if they ran with a staring line up of Mills-green-KL-Bert-Gasol during a 2017 transtion year if they also get some nice assets back for LMA. Then you go into 2018 with Tony/Pau off the books, AND a solid pipeline which would include Murray and peices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And yeah, I'm officially lukewarm about signing George Hill..Dude has become the Splitter of PGs..Unless it is Chris Paul, don't go after any 30 year-olds..We need to get younger..
    Cool. Spurs guaranteed to get pass Rockets as Warriors don't play healthy teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even before parker got hurt it was laughable that some people preferred to not sign cp3.

Some want spurs to win le not have all their money tied up in point guards
    When Murray could be fine with another training camp and summer league
    Will he be cp3 no but spurs need to replace Manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're probably right, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if they ran with a staring line up of Mills-green-KL-Bert-Gasol during a 2017 transtion year if they also get some nice assets back for LMA. Then you go into 2018 with Tony/Pau off the books, AND a solid pipeline which would include Murray and peices.
    The idea of trading LMA for either good, young pieces or an expiring and a pick(s) is plenty appealing to me for next season. But I am not Pop. I think such a move would require a change of regime.

Btw, I like Pau on the second unit. We would need a new starting center.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is about have a backlog of pgs after the draft. Marcus Smart can't possibly be in their long term plans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is about have a backlog of pgs after the draft. Marcus Smart can't possibly be in their long term plans.
    They don't even play him at PG.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love that.... him or Bradley

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't even play him at PG.
    I'm aware. They won't be playing their draft pick at pg either. At least not for more than next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to sign quincy miller

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we were one of them

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA for Jordan Clarkson or Eric Bledsoe. Sign Tiago for the min. Sign Dedmon. Try to get Shabazz Muhammad. Give Patty the boot.

Thread Information