Page 12 of 376 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, who's gonna wanna play for Pop?? You hear so many players talk about Pop an the Spurs organization... But no one ever wants to sign here. Not a big name FA.. LMA only came cuz Pop promised never to yell at him. He didn't know Kawhi would keep getting better in the off-season either. ing old ass Vince Carter wouldn't even sign with us... Caron Butler trash ass wouldn't either. I guess since we got Corey Magette an RJ I shouldn't say anything... SHHHHHIT!!! No one wants to be buried on the bench for showing emotions or thinking they're good so they need to get over themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since this series is over and Houston will win it.... Think Pop booked a team vacation for Cancun or Cabos? tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, who's gonna wanna play for Pop?? You hear so many players talk about Pop an the Spurs organization... But no one ever wants to sign here. Not a big name FA.. LMA only came cuz Pop promised never to yell at him. He didn't know Kawhi would keep getting better in the off-season either. ing old ass Vince Carter wouldn't even sign with us... Caron Butler trash ass wouldn't either. I guess since we got Corey Magette an RJ I shouldn't say anything... SHHHHHIT!!! No one wants to be buried on the bench for showing emotions or thinking they're good so they need to get over themselves.
    PATFO didn't get the ultimate respect from NBA players/media/coaches until the 13-14' seasons. He competed/defeated/dethroned LeBron "The King" in his prime..

Ring chasing in the mid 00's wasn't cool yet and social media wasn't born so the Spurs small market really hurt their chances..But things are different now and the Spurs are like a waking legacy right now..gotta take advantage of Kawhi/Pop window which IMO is 2-3 years. I think Pop goes out in the Olympics or season after..

This is why they'll kick the tires on CP3 or try to make a splash this offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Lowry just opted out of his final year with the Raps... since CP3 is likely to stay in LA, Lowry could be an interesting target for the Spurs. Great shooter, unselfish team player, big shot maker, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Lowry just opted out of his final year with the Raps... since CP3 is likely to stay in LA, Lowry could be an interesting target for the Spurs. Great shooter, unselfish team player, big shot maker, etc.

Bigger postseason choker then Paul....

He's intriguing but I'm not 100% sold and not sure if his style of play is what this team needs tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigger postseason choker then Paul....

He's intriguing but I'm not 100% sold and not sure if his style of play is what this team needs tbh..
    Did you say choker? He'd fit right in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you say choker? He'd fit right in.
    Plus he's a fatass, so it'll be like nothing has changed.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowry

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

'Unselfish' isn't how many raptors fans would describe him from what I've gathered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great fatasse team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently this needs to be bumped just bc ....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking about this some more, I think the most likely scenario is as follows: They express interest in Paul, Hill and maybe even Lowry, but ultimately re-sign Mills and if he doesn't retire, sign Williams to the bi-annual exception (3.29M), with a player option for the 2nd season.

In a keep it mostly status quo and try to maintain current level until '18 scenario, when Aldridge can opt out and Gasol and Parker are up and it'll be easier to remake the team, he makes sense as a stopgap. He can start, play on and off the ball and he can pair with any of Mills, Murray and when he returns, Parker, on both sides of the ball.

Murray can still get a good amount of minutes when he get's his inevitable injury(s), plus rest games and he can push Simmons, Anderson and either the 29th pick (if they go wing, of course) or some veteran's minimum type, on the wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking about this some more, I think the most likely scenario is as follows: They express interest in Paul, Hill and maybe even Lowry, but ultimately re-sign Mills and if he doesn't retire, sign Williams to the bi-annual exception (3.29M), with a player option for the 2nd season.

In a keep it mostly status quo and try to maintain current level until '18 scenario, when Aldridge can opt out and Gasol and Parker are up and it'll be easier to remake the team, he makes sense as a stopgap. He can start, play on and off the ball and he can pair with any of Mills, Murray and when he returns, Parker, on both sides of the ball.

Murray can still get a good amount of minutes when he get's his inevitable injury(s), plus rest games and he can push Simmons, Anderson and either the 29th pick (if they go wing, of course) or some veteran's minimum type, on the wings.
    even if they dont draft a wing, they still have Hanga coming in.
    Simmons will need to be reupped. I don't know if these games change the outlook for him but b4 them I thought Hanga could do a reasonable facsimile of him to not have to over pay him. However, him showing up in the playoffs has to count for Pop. If they don't get Ginobili again (and I know ppl are sentimental but he really needs to retire), I think they should reup him. If they go after a big time FA though, then all bets are off on him and others and I guess we shall see. It might even be possible to just fill up with some vet mins whatever holes there may be if they need to let guys go.
    Anyways, this is tough to predict right now not just on the Spurs side but bc they also have FA of their own they need to make decisions on.

The closer the offseason gets the more clouded all this gets for me too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if they dont draft a wing, they still have Hanga coming in.
    Simmons will need to be reupped. I don't know if these games change the outlook for him but b4 them I thought Hanga could do a reasonable facsimile of him to not have to over pay him. However, him showing up in the playoffs has to count for Pop. If they don't get Ginobili again (and I know ppl are sentimental but he really needs to retire), I think they should reup him. If they go after a big time FA though, then all bets are off on him and others and I guess we shall see. It might even be possible to just fill up with some vet mins whatever holes there may be if they need to let guys go.
    Anyways, this is tough to predict right now not just on the Spurs side but bc they also have FA of their own they need to make decisions on.

The closer the offseason gets the more clouded all this gets for me too.
    They're never going to push Ginobili out the door, but it's probably irrelevant since he more than likely retires.

Hanga wants to come, but that doesn't mean they'll want to sign him. I'm not saying they won't necessarily, but it's not a lock, especially if Simmons is re-signed (that would make 4 limited shooting perimeter players) and I now think there's a good chance of that. Unless some dumb team makes an exorbitant offer, although it's difficult to determine what they would be for him. Maybe something approaching or above the mid-level, which is $8.4M.

Speaking of which, I think Dedmon is offered the full MLE and if that doesn't get it done, they turn to Reed, who supposedly might be able to be had for the BAE or part of the MLE. If it's the former, then they'd have the MLE to offer to a wing. If it's the later, they could split it between him and a wing. Meeks is a wing I could see them targeting for half of the MLE or the BAE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are making a lot of assumptions. Sure, SA is playing poorly currently but what if they make it to a WCF? Doesn't that change what people are saying? Or does it shift from "2nd round ceiling" to "no REAl shot at a le" argument?

We have to see how things play out is all I'm saying.
    Ahhh.. I love me some DPG wisdom to bring me back down.

In all seriousness, this team is struggling vs. a 7th seed that has BOTH of their starting wings out. I'm no Miss Cleo, but I don't see any reason for optimism right now. This team has been the most inconsistent 60 win team I've ever seen. It's been that way all season long and their inconsistency as individual players (outside of Kawhi)and as a group are disappointing.

I don't see them getting past Houston. I'm actually putting money on that too if the matchup happens.
    I am all good discussing plans and what is likely, but when it comes to team building it's really tough. Spurs can go from cold to hot in a game or two (see games 1 & 2 where there were no struggles at all).

The struggles aren't due to anything but lack of shooting and some poor coaching decisions. The latter being easily masked if the team was just hitting at a normal rate.

I definitely think SA can get past HOU and that is what I would bet on tbh..not that it changes the overall discussion but it kind of does.

I look at it this way. Yes, SA has holes, but they are better than pretty much every other team with those holes. Let's say Murray really blossoms, that probably solves many of the problems we are discussing today so keeping this team together for one more year while adding some younger pieces next year could be a big boost.
    Think this conversation just became more relevant. Not just for M4T but everyone discussing what the Spurs "have to do" with trading LMA, shipping off TP, etc..

You don't get in a rush to blow up a team that even with adversity makes a Conference Finals. Sometimes, just internal improvement (Murray, Simmons, Bertans, Kyle next year) and small tweaks (add another PG, wing, etc.) can make a massive difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even care what happens, just get LMA and Danny Green the off of this team.
    So you want Kawhi gone. Danny gone (who again proved all Danny haters wrong). And LMA gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There won't really be an easy fix, regardless..realistically, they need better production everywhere other than Kawhi, but it isn't possible to blow up the entire rotation..

While it's true that the Spurs need to alter their approach and fix the frontcourt, you can't win in today's NBA without a high-level PG(Houston being the only exception, but Harden is essentially their PG, since Beverley is a small 2-guard)..they also need more 2-way wings, which has been the case for years..
    How interesting is this that the team with quite clearly the weakest guard rotation in the West playoffs is one of the last 2 teams standing.

I think this has held true for a long time, but even after losing TP to an already weak guard rotation SA still comes out on top

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peter Jok and Hamidou Diallo seem like interesting picks at 29 for me. Slim pickings around this spot. Diallo has crazy upside and athleticism, but sat on the bench all season for Kentucky. Jok is a senior who draws Klay Thompson comparisons, and we all know we need a shooter/defender. You would think you need to draft a wing this year with the uncertainty of Mills, Simmons, Manu, and Parker. Someone around 6' 5" who can play with Murray in the same lineup. A playmaker who can help lead the second unit since Manu will probably retire. Other guards who look good are Rawle Alkins and Edmund Sumner I just can't see us drafting a Pg with pick 28, but it is possible. Maybe Juwan Evans, Monte Morris but I'd pass. Diallo and Jok are my to favorites as of today. Do any you guys see us drafting a big or a Sf?
    Last edited by keithington1; 05-12-2017 at 10:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want Kawhi gone. Danny gone (who again proved all Danny haters wrong). And LMA gone.
    Full rebuild?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How interesting is this that the team with quite clearly the weakest guard rotation in the West playoffs is one of the last 2 teams standing.

I think this has held true for a long time, but even after losing TP to an already weak guard rotation SA still comes out on top
    Spurs lose without Pop adjusting and giving Simmons a trusted 30 mpg role. That was the difference. Perimeter D was LOCKDOWN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's a marked improvement in defense with Simms playing a lot of TPs minutes, tbh (no bash on TP, before you go there)...

It's not surprising, and it makes total sense. The fact that he was also a stud on offense last night, when he's normally not, is what was surprising (and where TP normally has the edge)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I hope we were one of them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a marked improvement in defense with Simms playing a lot of TPs minutes, tbh (no bash on TP, before you go there)...

It's not surprising, and it makes total sense. The fact that he was also a stud on offense last night, when he's normally not, is what was surprising (and where TP normally has the edge)
    I won't argue any of that. TP has always been a way better defender than he got credit for within the system, but Mills defense (totally unexpected and normally worse than TP's) against Harden was huge and Simmons (obvious better defender than TP) was great like you said.

Having said that, Simmons over TP, Mills/Murray is still BY FAR the weakest G rotation in the West playoffs and they are still standing. It's a fine line with winning or losing and I'm not saying it proves anything. It's just more of a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like DMo but I wanna see what Bertans has instead. Spurs' #1 priority this off season has to be guard/back up wings.

Thread Information