Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest issue with sports fans in general is that they can't accept the fact that players can improve or decline.
    They mostly make up their mind and that's about it.

Collins is this team's veteran. Even if we take into account his last season level, his extension was an overpay. But whatever, feelgood story, player coming back from an injury, he's still fairly young and will get even better etc.
    And then he turns into a G-league player. He's legit looking worse than two G-league bigs we have on the roster. Both pre-injury Bassey and Barlow have looked better than him.
    He's getting completely torched by bench players which just can't happen.

He's completely out of it and that's a fact. Right now he's the definition of a charity case player.
    Are we supposed to hope and pray he goes back to last season's level? no.

Poor shooting streak can be excused and it's not his fault he's got the green light to shoot threes when he obviously can't, but I just can't get over that atrocious defense.
    He's completely lost.

Gets toched in the post, on pnr, can't boxout properly, makes dumb fouls, doesn't communicate and coordinate defense as a big, there's just nothing positive to write about. And none of those things have anything to do with current level of play.
    Or he just ed up his ankle again.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or he just ed up his ankle again.
    He was horrible even before he missed games this season.
    As they say, if you're on the floor, you're healthy.

There's no way he'd be playing injured considering that the season is already over.
    If you ask me, typical case of contract year player coming back to his actual level.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was horrible even before he missed games this season.
    As they say, if you're on the floor, you're healthy.

There's no way he'd be playing injured considering that the season is already over.
    If you ask me, typical case of contract year player coming back to his actual level.
    He is not this horrible. He is really bad now, he can't step into his shot and has zero lift. Pop already said that ankle set him back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as it cracks me up to see you guys on Zollins, there's no way he's this bad. He has to still be hurt or maybe he made an account here and you wads raped his confidence. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is a good player. He was our best player at the end of last year. He's really bad right now. Either you have to believe he's completely lost the ability to play, which is probably not the case, or you recognize he doesn't have it right now for one reason or another.

The brain trust on this site thinks he never was good.
    He had an OK stretch last year but I don't know that that makes him a good player. He's been ing ATROCIOUS this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all don't need to make up phantom injuries or drug habbits to explain Collins. He might just not be that good at all. He had a good month last year, got paid, and now has possibly just reverted. Maybe not, but at this point until proven otherwise the guy just kinda sucks. His contract is far from the end of the world but its not exactly good. Its definitely a bad contract right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope I'm wrong, thought that I read that somewhere on this beloved forum. I take everything I read here as 100% accurate and true.
    I believe the one-year trade restriction is for players who sign a Designated Player Extension, which Collins did not. All indications point to him being tradeable after April 22.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is a good player. He was our best player at the end of last year. He's really bad right now. Either you have to believe he's completely lost the ability to play, which is probably not the case, or you recognize he doesn't have it right now for one reason or another.

The brain trust on this site thinks he never was good.
    Lots of players were good and considered worth their deals when they signed them, only for them to age poorly and become negative assets. Right now Collins and his deal are a negative asset (meaning, it will likely cost us to move off it). That doesn't mean we need to commit collective suicide, but there is also nothing wrong with acknowledging this fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This contract is not a huge problem given the Spurs current roster. There are several players who will be out of here due to lack of performance and losing out to higher level players coming in the future. I don't know what the deal is with Collins right now, but getting healthy would probably help the situation more than anything. That may come next year. Still only a 2 year commitment starting in 24-25. I don't think we need to attach assets to ZC and dump him just yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why do people say his health is the reason of him sucking ass. Before the latest injury, he was ing horrible.

And asking this guy to stay healthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the headband tbh. I don't know if he lost a bet, but when you look like a scrub, you play like a scrub. Gotta remove it and everything will get back in order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can imagine signing the extension, getting Wemby and being a starter were all huge confidence boosters for him. Losing the starting role and have opposing offenses licking their chops to attack the paint when Wemby leaves must be brutal.
    Add in Wemby's minutes restriction and Collins is going against starting 5s often. All that is tough to adjust to in the beginning of a season. I think he'll salvage the season to some degree in the last segment of games. A big break like the ASG can help a player refocus.

The Cobra Kai headband vibe is not helping, but, can't be the only culprit of his decline.

At least he gets to keep that money, regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really gave this guy a 2-yr/$35M extension last Summer

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone shoot 4.3% from 3. I know some context needs to be factored in. But to quote our astute rookie “what the is this?”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a ing fleece job by Zollins on the FO, you have to respect it tbh. BWrong

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "4%? That's who we are." -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still in awe at how bad he’s been. I think there’s a legitimate argument that he’s been the clear worst player on the team over the past 2 months. Bassey going down at the start of this year is really unfortunate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Author: Jeff Garcia (KENS)Published: 9:36 AM CST February 21, 2024
    Updated: 9:36 AM CST February 21, 2024
    Facebook
    SAN ANTONIO — To start the San Antonio Spurs' 2023-24 season, Zach Collins was in the starting unit playing alongside rookie Victor Wembanyama.

However, as the season progressed, the team opted to shuffle the lineup, and now Collins finds himself coming off the bench rather than paired with Wemby as often as he had.

But as the season progresses, Collins admits he'd like to share time on the court more often with the French big man.

“We were playing together a lot more at the start of the year and then I got moved to coming off the bench, so we don’t really get to play together that much anymore, (but) I did enjoy playing with him because he’s a fun guy to throw the ball to under the rim," he said to The Spokesman-Review.

In 25 games played together, a two-man lineup of Collins and Wembanyama averages 33.0 points per game, including 44% field goal shooting, 30% three-point shooting, and 14.9 rebounds.

A deeper dive shows the big difference between having Collins on the court and not with Wembanyama.

They played 385 minutes together for a Net Rating of -10.48. Wembanyama has played 1007 total minutes without Collins on the court, which has yielded a Net Rating of -4.13.

However, in 656 total minutes with Collins on the court without Wembanyama, the Net Rating is -14.36.

Statistically, moving Collins was the best move, but he hopes to see more time on the court with the 20-year-old basketball phenom.

“Hopefully, we can get back out on the court a little bit more in the future," he said.
    Yeah, that's what is needed. lmao net rating of -14 when he's the only big.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it's all in his head. Collins went from being the best big on the team after the Poeltl trade last year to being the clear backup to a teenager.

If he doesn't manage to finish the season well the Spurs will definitely try to dump him, perhaps by attaching assets and including him as salary ballast.

If the Spurs get desperate I think they could waive-and-stretch Collins's $35M over the next 5 years, eating $7M of dead cap every year. But I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins desperate for Wemby to save him. Sad.

Funny he talks about throwing passes to Wemby, I'm pretty sure getting split away from Wemby cut down Zollins turnovers majorly because there's no more awful passes out of bounds trying to feed Wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One has to wonder if Zach has reached rock bottom, or if things can somehow get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a great tank commander. We would've easily won 10 more games without him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a great tank commander. We would've easily won 10 more games without him.
    with just about 30 games left, its now important to keep him on the court to ensure a top 5 pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    think he could use playing with a legit pf, he's defending solid, but gets scored on regardless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    think he could use playing with a legit pf, he's defending solid, but gets scored on regardless.
    I do think the bench is tiny outside of Zach to be fair, and Keldon remains a zero on that side of the court as well. The Bassy injury is underrated.

But yeah, it really looks like I have to eat crow on Zach as one of his biggest defenders over the years. Sad bc I love his redemption story.

Thread Information