Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did they just post this? They were the most fervent supporters of DNS crippling.
    yep. people power occasionally works. who would have thunk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    complete reversal of field

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. people power occasionally works. who would have thunk?
    I'm skeptic... I think it's likely Espinel figured she could get some vague enough wording in there where she could still do what she wants without specifically pointing out to it. But, we'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    indeed

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    sharing a lawn mower is nothing like illegally downloading music
    Why?

Does it cost ACDC any money if I make a copy of s Bells?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Actually, it's inversely related to radioactivity. Mull it over.
    Your really taking this Professor ST seriously. If you want to have a live debate let me know.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Your really taking this Professor ST seriously. If you want to have a live debate let me know.
    LOL...

A game of cat and mouse?

Mouse... You'll lose big!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Is that a no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Copyright Industries Con Congress
    Of the total $6.1 billion in annual losses LEK estimated to MPAA studios, the amount attributable to online piracy by users in the United States was $446 million—which, by coincidence, is roughly the amount grossed globally by Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.
    http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/how-c...-con-congress/

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The amount doesn't matter. Copyrights are a matter actually covered in the cons ution, and congress should make every reasonable effort to protect intellectual property rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The amount doesn't matter. Copyrights are a matter actually covered in the cons ution, and congress should make every reasonable effort to protect intellectual property rights.
    That right there tells you the amount matters...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That right there tells you the amount matters...
    If you say so. My point is the words don't give value a significance:
    To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a simple solution: have much stricter and less protective IPR laws as pertains to corporations versus individual owners. Someone deserves stringent copyright protection; whereas, something does not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boing Boing will go dark on Jan 18 to fight SOPA
    Even though a substantial portion of my living comes from the entertainment industry, I don't think that any amount of "piracy" justifies this kind of depraved indifference to the consequences of one's actions. Big Content haven't just declared war on Boing Boing and Reddit and the rest of the "fun" Internet: they've declared war on every person who uses the net to publicize police brutality, every oppressed person in the Arab Spring who used the net to organize protests and publicize the blood spilled by their oppressors, every abused kid who used the net to reveal her father as a brutalizer of children, every gay kid who used the net to discover that life is worth living despite the torment she's experiencing, every grassroots political campaigner who uses the net to make her community a better place -- as well as the scientists who collaborate online, the rescue workers who coordinate online, the makers who trade tips online, the people with rare diseases who support each other online, and the independent creators who use the Internet to earn their livings.
    http://boingboing.net/2012/01/14/boi...medium=twitter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victory for Internet Freedom: Obama Announces Opposition to SOPA, Congress Shelves Bill

At issue are two related bills: the Senate’s Protect IP Act and the even more offensive Stop Online Piracy Act in the House, both of which are generated intense opposition from tech giants and First Amendment advocates. The first sign that the bills’ prospects were dwindling came Friday, when SOPA sponsors agreed to drop a key provision that would have required service providers to block access to international sites accused of piracy.

The legislation ran into an even more significant problem yesterday when the White House announced its opposition to the bills. Though the administration’s chief technology officials officials acknowledged the problem of online privacy, the White House statement presented a fairly detailed critique of the measures and concluded, “We will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.” It added that any proposed legislation “must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet.”

House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) said early Saturday morning that Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) promised him the House will not vote on the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) unless there is consensus on the bill.

“While I remain concerned about Senate action on the Protect IP Act, I am confident that flawed legislation will not be taken up by this House,” Issa said in a statement. “Majority Leader Cantor has assured me that we will continue to work to address outstanding concerns and work to build consensus prior to any anti-piracy legislation coming before the House for a vote.”

http://www.alternet.org/story/153776...OzyM&rd=1&t=21

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you like day-olds, boutons?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laws like this are last gasp efforts by the RIAA and MPAA to stave off irrelevance. Their model is growing less necessary in the internet age, where art can be freely and easily distributed without the need of a studio printing it, marketing it, distributing it, and collecting most of the reward.

This is especially true in the case of music... now your average joe can record a great sounding album all by himself and distribute it however he wants. The archaic process of signing with a record company and having them negotiate with radio conglomerates to play their songs is dying, as it should be.

I am rarely gleeful about people losing their jobs but in this case I am not sad about it either. These days record companies and radio conglomerates stand in the way of more good music than they actually bring to the masses. They limit access and mandate what you hear on the airwaves, not based on quality but based on contracts. It's a process that is inherently anti-art.

It should not be the law's responsibility to protect the RIAA and MPAA from irrelevance. If they are going to survive, it is up to them to:

1. come up with distribution technologies that better prevent mass piracy
    2. price their product such that a consumer feels it is worth paying for, and/or
    3. better incentivize purchase.

Job creation is something worth working for, but we shouldn't be protecting jobs that have no place anymore. Record and film executives who are unable to keep up with shifts in audience habits will just have to find something else to exploit for money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice how much bipartisan Congressional energy goes into protecting UCA profits, vs how much Congressional energy goes into the economic stimulus, housing crisis, jobs creation.

Only suckers and shills and ignorant assholes could still believe/promote that Congress is working for the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Brits hammer him and Newscorps some more with shutdowns or banning him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL at Murdoch.

What a er. How he is not in jail after tapping the phones of that family in Britain, I dunno.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    upper mgmt is never responsible and certainly not prosecuted or jailed, like Corzine at MF, $100Ms missing and he's say he doesn't know a thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wikipedia will shut down for 24 hours on Wednesday to protest against SOPA

Today, founder of the non-profit behind information archive Wikipedia, Jimmy Wales, announced that the site will go dark for 24 hours on Wednesday in protest of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).
    http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/0...All+Stories%29

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    wait till one of these law makers wants to sell something on Craigslist and its not there anymore.

Thread Information