Page 16 of 143 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    turkoglu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The notion of exchanging the 20th pick for an established player on a rookie contract makes sense. Especially one that would fill a role that presumably will be vacant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    What are you hoping for Spurs fans? I read where Parker is perhaps on the trading block. I always thought Ginobili would be the one that made the most sense strategically, but perhaps not fan wise to trade...

(don't worry, I'll head back to the basement after this)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay here is a draft day trade I had in mind.

Tony Parker for Devin Harris+ third pick.

Here is where the trade get's tricky. That won't work straight up so depending on what happens with the first and second picks the third part of New Jersey's trade is curious. If the draft goes 1. Wall, 2. Favors: then I think the Spurs should go for Yi to fill that needed 3 million-ish dollars and draft Turner. The Spurs have a Matt Bonner replacement in Yi and Turner to play the 1/2/3.

Assuming (and more realistic option) the draft is 1. Wall and 2. Turner then the Spurs just draft Favors and Dooling could be that filler. Nets would likely throw in the 500k for the waiving of Dooling, if not, then the Spurs shouldn't mind paying it themselves.

Still I feel like no matter what I say it won't happen.
    If we could somehow land terrrance williams from new jersey it would be even more of a plus. that guy can straight up ball.

Tony+#20+Blair for Harris+Williams+#3?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could RJ be a part of a draft day trade? or does that have to wait until July 1st?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could somehow land terrrance williams from new jersey it would be even more of a plus. that guy can straight up ball.

Tony+#20+Blair for Harris+Williams+#3?
    I think it would take more than just TP to get the 3rd and harris. I think the offer of TP+Blair for #3 (only if favors is still on the board)+ harris would benefit both teams. You then sign Splitter + Ian and you have a great young frontline for the future and with #20 you pick a SF if one is available or elliott williams to back up at pg. All of a sudden the spurs are very athletic and a good mixture of youth and vet players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay here is a draft day trade I had in mind.

Tony Parker for Devin Harris+ third pick.

Here is where the trade get's tricky. That won't work straight up
    Actually, it will. NJ has more than enough cap space to absorb the difference in salaries between Harris and Parker. The Spurs can't take back 4M more in salaries than they send out, but NJ can. The trade you outline would generate a Trade Exception of approximately 4.2M, an asset that could prove quite valuable as well.

Making a trade for the #3 is plenty tricky, but the difference in salaries between Harris and Parker is not an obstacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel, I have a question. Salaries only have to match if both teams are over the cap, correct? So if one team is so far under the cap (NJ for example), would it be possible for a team like CLE to sign & trade Lebron to NJ for just the #3 pick bc they can absorb the salary?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel, I have a question. Salaries only have to match if both teams are over the cap, correct? So if one team is so far under the cap (NJ for example), would it be possible for a team like CLE to sign & trade Lebron to NJ for just the #3 pick bc they can absorb the salary?
    Yes and yes.

Teams over the cap are bound by the 125% + 100K rule. A team with NJ's cap space is not.

For a recent example of a trade similar to the one you suggest we have Rashard Lewis from Seattle to Orlando. Orlando sent no salary back to Seattle. Seattle got a 9M TE that they later used to get KT plus two first rounders from PHX. Then you remember what they got for KT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wonder why you don't see more trades like that? I know it is not often where teams have all that cap space and I know teams usually want assets, but if you can get a top 3 pick and maximize the cap space you will get, why not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wonder why you don't see more trades like that? I know it is not often where teams have all that cap space and I know teams usually want assets, but if you can get a top 3 pick and maximize the cap space you will get, why not?
    I don't think we've ever had a summer with so many teams so far under the cap. So situations where a team simultaneously has a huge amount of cap AND a top 3 pick are pretty rare occurrences.

Not to stir the TP pot any further, but if Splitter doesn't come over and the Spurs want to jump start a rebuilding effort, an unbalanced trade of this sort becomes more likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Wiz would do something crazy like the number 1 pick + Arenas to NJ? I don't see NJ doing that, but if you are WAS do you make that offer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Wiz would do something crazy like the number 1 pick + Arenas to NJ? I don't see NJ doing that, but if you are WAS do you make that offer?
    I dont think its worth getting rid of john wall. he is the clear #1 pick and the talent level drops off a bit after him.

Im sure they're doing everything possible to ship arenas though or they at least should be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't.

Washington cleared the decks except for Gil's contract. If they don't resign Foye, then Blatche at 3.2M is their next largest contract. So they have a nice chunk of cap space as it is, but I don't see them going after a big name FA.

Draft Wall, maybe use some of that cap space to peel off some young talent from teams that really do want more cap space, and start building a team from the bottom up.

Give Gil a chance to prove he can be a useful part of the team. If it doesn't work out, start negotiating a buyout rather than mortgaging the team's future by trading off young players and draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to see how this summer goes for the Spurs. I don't know if they have ever been in this position before (Franchise player fading, no real successor, some key player decisions (TP), the CBA negotiations...). I really have no idea what is going to happen just because there are so many factors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to see how this summer goes for the Spurs. I don't know if they have ever been in this position before (Franchise player fading, no real successor, some key player decisions (TP), the CBA negotiations...). I really have no idea what is going to happen just because there are so many factors.
    Yep, there is more uncertainty than anytime in recent memory.

It really all starts with Splitter. If he comes over, then I think the Spurs dig in and try to take their best shot at contending.

If Splitter doesn't come over, things could get real interesting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really have no idea what is going to happen just because there are so many factors.
    That's the beauty of it. No one does.

Although I believe everyone has collaborated in coming up with different scenarios; leaving no rocks unturned.

Don't be surprised if one of them actually pans out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or none of them. There are always great ideas on here, but I am shocked at how few actually pan out. That is just the nature of the NBA though. Many things are logical, but things are so much more complex in real life that things rarely happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or none of them. There are always great ideas on here, but I am shocked at how few actually pan out. That is just the nature of the NBA though. Many things are logical, but things are so much more complex in real life that things rarely happen.

Can we all just go to bed tonight and wake up in the middle of August. It can save us a lot of time, don't you think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think about that all the time. I wish I could just fast forward to important dates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think about that all the time. I wish I could just fast forward to important dates.

That's because you're young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious then. How about this 3 way trade

Spurs Trade:
    Tony Parker
    20th pick
    Spurs Get
    Devin Harris
    Michael Beasley
    Third pick in the 2010 deaft.

Nets Trade
    Harris
    Third pick
    Nets get
    Tony Parker
    Heat Trade
    Michael Beasley
    Heat get
    20th pick

Assuming the Dooling for Beasley rumors are true, could this trade not very easily go down? I really think it would help the Spurs too much actually.
    That should work under the rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious then. How about this 3 way trade

Spurs Trade:
    Tony Parker
    20th pick
    Spurs Get
    Devin Harris
    Michael Beasley
    Third pick in the 2010 deaft.

Nets Trade
    Harris
    Third pick
    Nets get
    Tony Parker
    Heat Trade
    Michael Beasley
    Heat get
    20th pick

Assuming the Dooling for Beasley rumors are true, could this trade not very easily go down? I really think it would help the Spurs too much actually.
    Nets don't do this trade because of cap space (to sign 2 max FAs) and they are giving up the 3rd pick (Favors or Cousins). It doens't make sense of NJ to do this deal at all. The Nets turned down the Dooling for Beasley swap for cap space. What this trade accomplishes for the Heat, in particular, is ridiculous and does not fit into the plans of the New Jersey Nets because of the clash in both interests. The Miami Heat would be able to re-sign Dwyane Wade plus 2 other max FAs like Chris Bosh and LeBron James and form a new and decade-lasting most dominant Big 3 if it happens with almost no salary on their cap space. Easily a no deal from the New Jersey Nets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good! Get her done RC.

But let me ask, what numbers are the trades going by? Because if the Spurs were to trade Parker for Harris at the deadline then that would not have worled straight up. The Net's team salary was around 60 million and that isn't below the cap, so are trades made after the season based off of next season't salaries?
    Excellent point. I believe that trades made before June 30th use the 2009-10 salary numbers. So the second trade you proposed probably doesn't work as a draft day deal. I think you were right to begin with and I may have been talking out of my....

Bruno?

Help, please

Thread Information