Page 165 of 333 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 8311
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Team has the exact same problem it had with Charlie. You need a quality QB, one that is at least a junior. The strike out was when we missed on a QB graduate transfer, which would have given us time to get the ones in the pipeline mature enough to start. Without that, it doesn't matter how Strong the defense is (see what I did there?), it will break down because our offense isn't keeping the other offense off the field. Once the QB position is solidified, then the wins will pile up. It won't happen this year.
    Quarterback is the absolute least of their problems.

Believe.
    My Team
    Incarnate Word Cardinals
    Post Count
    51 points isn't because of the QB. Not saying our QB situation is great but there were problems all over the field. Defense looked worse than where it left off last year. Very disappointing start to the Tom Herman era.

It was a very odd game. I was surprised how much they were pressing in their first offensive series. I think when Shane threw the INT the team may have fell back to that "oh no here we go" moment where they begin to doubt themselves. I thought that myself as a fan because you wanted a clean game and to do that so early I didn't think they'd respond well, this team is not used to winning. I was very surprised at how Shane looked rattled through much of the first half. He looked more composed as a true freshman against Notre Dame. They obviously don't trust anything they have in the run game which is unfortunate. I thought Drayton the RB wizard would have found himself something formidable to work with. The frustrating part was the undisciplined mistakes. I think the game was winnable but every time they'd get they ball moving or get in the red zone they'd get flagged. Some calls I think we're a bit much like all the offensive holds. I've never seen so many calls. For as accurate a passer as Shane as supposed to be surprised they didn't take more downfield shots. When they would Shane was severely overthrowing, then again that shouldn't be an issue with Duvernay and Burt.

The play calling was sketchy all the dink and dunk throws were from them not trusting what they have at RB and TE. I liked what they did a couple times in the wildcat from Heard and Humphrey. Both calls were successful but they never went back to it. A very important part of the game was when they were down 3 at midfield with a chance to take the lead they ran Shane twice, once on 4th down. That was the most mind boggling thing to me. Even I would have thought to call Heard or Humphrey twice in a roll instead of Shane. Both are more physical and LJH is 6'5 I mean jeez he doesn't have to do much more than lean forward to get 3 yards. I thought that was the most significant point in the game. Once we missed there that's when I knew it wouldn't be our game to win. These are my takes on the offensive side. It's a frustrating loss but in an odd way I'm not ready to give up on Herman like some of you are. Sure it was a dreadful start but if we don't see game to game improvement then we may see he's not cut for it. Now he's got something to draw from let's see if he can show growth in this team. We got a long season to fight and scrape up wins. Though I'm forced to now be cautious I'm still optimistic.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    keep in mind, this was a strong Maryland team with a lot of senior leadership. It wasn't a case of us wetting the bed this is a tough draw as a fist game of the year,

New coaches are still working out a lot of issues with this team.

Biggest negatives I saw was mostly on defense.

When Maryland established the run, our defense became Charmin soft in pass protection.
    We still don't know how to take pursuit angles
    Linebackers are still the weakest part of this team.
    Shedding blocks is a big issue right now.

I saw lots of issues with the oline, but that seemed to get fixed in the second half.
    Buschele looked scared out there, not sure if it was first game jitters, how a problem we are going to have to deal with, but he just didn't look very confident.
    Warren looks so damn slow every time he touched the ball he looked like he was moving in slow motion.
    TE is a real problem for this offense.
    Offensive special teams flat out sucks, fumble on kickoff return, two missed field goals, one blocked field goal. The loan bright spot was punt return for a TD.

Good things I saw.
    WRs are legit, if we can get them the ball, they will win some games for us.
    Burt found his hands again.
    Hill is a gamer. Same with Poona and Hughes also played a pretty good game.
    Special teams on punts and field goal defense looked great.

I still think this is a 9 win team, but that means we are likely to have 4 losses. I still feel good about facing the two Oklahoma teams, Herman is going to have to call a smarter game or he is no better than Strong.

Take the point blank field goals, we left 7 pts on the field because of his pride. IMO we get those 7 pts and we win this game.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Is UTSA the best football team in the UT system? Serious question.
    No, because I still believe UT can beat us. We are probably 2nd.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    No, because I still believe UT can beat us. We are probably 2nd.
    On paper they can probably beat almost anybody but they just keep sucking. I believed UT could beat Maryland and they didn't.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    On paper they can probably beat almost anybody but they just keep sucking. I believed UT could beat Maryland and they didn't.
    , the entire Texas fan base looks like Jonestown after ODing on that koolaid.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    , the entire Texas fan base looks like Jonestown after ODing on that koolaid.
    The poison control line is still busy.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    the judson and lake travis game was dope. julon williams is special.
    Just committed to Houston.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Just committed to Houston.
    His big bro just made the practice squad for the Bengals. Too bad he didn't follow in his footsteps for college.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Florida State loses QB Deondre Francois for the year:

https://www.si.com/college-football/...alabama-week-1

Believe.
    My Team
    Incarnate Word Cardinals
    Post Count
    A theory I saw on another board was the players looked tired and that they may be overworked.

I think we're all just grasping at straws trying to make sense of what we saw, but what do you all think?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    A theory I saw on another board was the players looked tired and that they may be overworked.

I think we're all just grasping at straws trying to make sense of what we saw, but what do you all think?
    Nope. Not even for a second.

Believe.
    My Team
    Incarnate Word Cardinals
    Post Count
    Again, grasping at straws here. A friend of mine who's a coach said they looked over coached and just needed quit thinking and play. I would argue we done seven years of no thinking with this program.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Dammit.

ATM blows a 34 point lead in the 3rd Qrt. against UCLA.
    Now they might go after a competent coach that can also recruit.
    Bad news all around for us.

This failure has got to be some sort of 2nd half comeback record.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    keep in mind, this was a strong Maryland team with a lot of senior leadership. It wasn't a case of us wetting the bed this is a tough draw as a fist game of the year,

New coaches are still working out a lot of issues with this team.

Biggest negatives I saw was mostly on defense.

When Maryland established the run, our defense became Charmin soft in pass protection.
    We still don't know how to take pursuit angles
    Linebackers are still the weakest part of this team.
    Shedding blocks is a big issue right now.

I saw lots of issues with the oline, but that seemed to get fixed in the second half.
    Buschele looked scared out there, not sure if it was first game jitters, how a problem we are going to have to deal with, but he just didn't look very confident.
    Warren looks so damn slow every time he touched the ball he looked like he was moving in slow motion.
    TE is a real problem for this offense.
    Offensive special teams flat out sucks, fumble on kickoff return, two missed field goals, one blocked field goal. The loan bright spot was punt return for a TD.

Good things I saw.
    WRs are legit, if we can get them the ball, they will win some games for us.
    Burt found his hands again.
    Hill is a gamer. Same with Poona and Hughes also played a pretty good game.
    Special teams on punts and field goal defense looked great.

I still think this is a 9 win team, but that means we are likely to have 4 losses. I still feel good about facing the two Oklahoma teams, Herman is going to have to call a smarter game or he is no better than Strong.

Take the point blank field goals, we left 7 pts on the field because of his pride. IMO we get those 7 pts and we win this game.
    We scored 21 points on a return, an interception return, and a blocked FG.
    There is no way we were better than Maryland Saturday and in NO way did we deserve to win.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    We scored 21 points on a return, an interception return, and a blocked FG.
    There is no way we were better than Maryland Saturday and in NO way did we deserve to win.
    Not true at all. We out gained them in yardage, we had more first downs. we drove into their red zone 3 times and came away with a grand total of 3 pts from those drives. Our defense sucked badly, there is no way we should have let them run and pass on us like this, but Texas did have their chances and the bed. like I said, if we just kick fieldgoals and get the extra point we failed at Texas is playing with the lead in the 4th and their offense has to give up the run. We didn't so we will just pass it off as us sucking, but there is more to the truth than this.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Also, maybe don't go for it on fourth down at mid-field. Ever.

Charlie Strong did some stupid ass , but that is the dumbest thing I've seen a Texas coach do since Colt running up the middle against Alabama.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Not true at all. We out gained them in yardage, we had more first downs. we drove into their red zone 3 times and came away with a grand total of 3 pts from those drives. Our defense sucked badly, there is no way we should have let them run and pass on us like this, but Texas did have their chances and the bed. like I said, if we just kick fieldgoals and get the extra point we failed at Texas is playing with the lead in the 4th and their offense has to give up the run. We didn't so we will just pass it off as us sucking, but there is more to the truth than this.
    They had 482 yards on 58 plays
    We had 473 yards on 84 plays

They were the better team, period.

And our best drive, the last, they played a very passive prevent as the game was done.
    The big positive IMO is we did not give up, we just got squarely defeated.
    Last edited by pgardn; 09-03-2017 at 11:46 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Also, maybe don't go for it on fourth down at mid-field. Ever.

Charlie Strong did some stupid ass , but that is the dumbest thing I've seen a Texas coach do since Colt running up the middle against Alabama.
    That was panic imo because we had such a hard time stopping them.
    What I find amusing is Orlando thinking a big key to the game would be getting them off the field on 3rd down. They had their first downs after they ran their second down play. 3rd down D was insignificant (3 out of 9).

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Herman presser scheduled for noon on LHN.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    JUCO TE Dominick Wood-Anderson updates his commitment status (24/7):

“At the moment, that’s where I was feeling home,” Wood-Anderson said. “That’s the place that was most similar to California, where I’m from. That’s really why I made that decision."

“And obviously, Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Corby) Meekins did a good job at Houston, turning that program around. I believe that they’ll do the same at Texas.”

“As of right now, I couldn’t even tell you,” Wood-Anderson said. “It’s kind of iffy right now. I’m open to each and every school that contacts me. I’m open until I sign the dotted line. You just never know until that paper is signed.”

“Winning is a big factor,” Wood-Anderson said. “I was kind of disappointed (with the loss to Maryland). But every team has their first game jitters and stuff. But they’ll bounce back.”

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Herman is extraordinarily polite. A+ for humility and self control. (Guess I'm used to pop)

Stopping the run in the base defense was horrible. I think our coaches were shocked how we could not get off blocks. You can play sound gap D all you want, but if the guy blocking you defeats you, controls you, good luck. They knocked us back. We rarely beat the guy in front of us. And then when they broke out, the tackling down field was horrendous. This is not a scheme thing, it's a fundamental problem. Beat your man, tackle.

Our run game. When the opponent knows you cannot move the football on the ground this is immediately a problem. Then to add to that, if they can get pressure with a 3 and 4 man front while running solid pass protect schemes that's a huge problem. A good elusive RB that sees well down field can help poor blocking by taking risks. Finding spots that are not drawn up. We don't have that. Warren can make his own yards by just bruising for extra yardage. But we got to the point where we relied on our receivers to try to make plays. The play calling illustrated this.

Buechele is gonna have difficulty when good athletes on the defensive front get free and after him. When we left the backs and tight ends to block and he did get time, their coverage was good. Big plays are difficult when the S are well down the field and others are in position to make the throw difficult. Bubble passes go for 5 yards when there are plenty of DBs just waiting for it. They did not even make attempts to play the bubble aggressively. "Give em a few yards, they can't run the ball"

You can't run the ball, you can't stop the run, makes for a long frustrating day. We tried to pass our way out of it. It did not work. Bad mistakes where made by both teams that led to big plays but, we had by far the worse timed penalties. Most of those penalties were very easy to call. That's on us. Our receivers run down the field blocking, never even looking for the ball or just grabbing D backs? Connor Williams totally defeats his man one play, the guy gets back up and Williams holds him... Please finish the play, fall on top of him, keep him buried.

No one should read something this long... but I feel a bit of catharsis.
    Last edited by pgardn; 09-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Thread Information