Page 177 of 293 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 7307
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams usually don't commit to pay a player to be a free agent. Why would that player not just go out a re-sign for more than the min? And is it worth it to lose Bird rights or to expose that player to waivers?
    Carlos Boozer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, and Chandler Parsons. For something we know is legal, you see it happen extremely rarely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to get confirmation on whether or not a player can in fact be waived/stretched then resigned. If that is the case, I have no idea why SA would not do that as it means a raise for Tim (unless they feel they want every cent of cap space next year and want to eat Tim's fully salary this year only).

It also seems like SA is keeping Manu's cap hold on the books as well.

I don't know, but I can't believe that they would allow a loophole like that to exist. We all know what the intent in the stretch provision was, and that's not it. I remember a situation coming up about retirement (Brandon Roy, I think) where he was thinking about coming back to a different team, after being out of basketball for a couple of seasons. The way I remember it, if he signed with a new team before a certain date, his old team would be on the hook for a huge cap hit, to make up for the relief they had gotten when he retired. Basically, it seems like Tim would have to stay out of the league for a significant time before deciding to "un-retire" - otherwise the league would reverse the cap relief they get from stretching his salary.

Just a guess, but it makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know, but I can't believe that they would allow a loophole like that to exist. We all know what the intent in the stretch provision was, and that's not it. I remember a situation coming up about retirement (Brandon Roy, I think) where he was thinking about coming back to a different team, after being out of basketball for a couple of seasons. The way I remember it, if he signed with a new team before a certain date, his old team would be on the hook for a huge cap hit, to make up for the relief they had gotten when he retired. Basically, it seems like Tim would have to stay out of the league for a significant time before deciding to "un-retire" - otherwise the league would reverse the cap relief they get from stretching his salary.

Just a guess, but it makes sense.
    Tim only has to officially retire if he's under contract. The Spurs waiving him relieves him of that obligation. If he is done, he just stays a free agent for ever, or he can apply then. If he's not, he can come back. It would be no different than anyone else who retires and comes back.

Roy was amnestied so that they didn't have to deal with how strict the retirement rules are. You are correct about that. But medical retirement is completely different. Roy actually did come back, by the way. He just couldn't get it done.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hoxl6mp

All i can come up with. We'd obviously have to include future picks but it's highly likely Toronto still says no cuz it does seem pretty lopsided. But since this is a contract year for Bobo then he'll most likely play more motivated and Parker well, maybe he will aswell being in a new environment.
    Any trade for Westbrook would at the least need to include Green, and more probably Aldridge (being sent to a third team). No point in proposing anything less.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any trade for Westbrook would at the least need to include Green, and more probably Aldridge (being sent to a third team). No point in proposing anything less.
    I mean, the only other way the Spurs could have a very, very remote chance of getting him is if Russell comes out and says that the only team he wants to be traded to is the Spurs and that he won't play for any other team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wait until next summer for Westbrook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim only has to officially retire if he's under contract. The Spurs waiving him relieves him of that obligation. If he is done, he just stays a free agent for ever, or he can apply then. If he's not, he can come back. It would be no different than anyone else who retires and comes back.

Roy was amnestied so that they didn't have to deal with how strict the retirement rules are. You are correct about that. But medical retirement is completely different. Roy actually did come back, by the way. He just couldn't get it done.

I appreciate the explanations. But I wasn't aware that there is any difference between medical retirement and normal old-age retirement, when it came to the stretch provision. But the intent is clearly not to allow the team the cap relief PLUS to be able to keep the player and pay him the full amount of the contract. The league has a rule against cir vention, and it seems like what is being discussed would be cir venting the rule.

Hey... wait a minute...

Could the Spurs be trying to work out a Disabled Player's Exception for Tim? Keeping his contract live, acting as if he would play this season, if healthy? If an NBA doctor says that it is unlikely that he could play this season, they could possibly get an exception that would let them pay around $3M for another player, if I remember right. That would let Tim get paid, and still let the Spurs acquire a player. Actually, I think it's pretty valid, given the condition of his knees. There may be other technicalities that I don't know about, but it would sure make sense out of what we're seeing. I think they had to wait until July 1 to apply, so it could be tied up with doctors right now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle on Manu's return. (I can't keep up with the gazillion posts in unpredictable threads. If it's been posted, just don't click on the link.)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...obilis-return/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate the explanations. But I wasn't aware that there is any difference between medical retirement and normal old-age retirement, when it came to the stretch provision. But the intent is clearly not to allow the team the cap relief PLUS to be able to keep the player and pay him the full amount of the contract. The league has a rule against cir vention, and it seems like what is being discussed would be cir venting the rule.

Hey... wait a minute...

Could the Spurs be trying to work out a Disabled Player's Exception for Tim? Keeping his contract live, acting as if he would play this season, if healthy? If an NBA doctor says that it is unlikely that he could play this season, they could possibly get an exception that would let them pay around $3M for another player, if I remember right. That would let Tim get paid, and still let the Spurs acquire a player. Actually, I think it's pretty valid, given the condition of his knees. There may be other technicalities that I don't know about, but it would sure make sense out of what we're seeing. I think they had to wait until July 1 to apply, so it could be tied up with doctors right now?
    I mean, they would save more this season by waiving him, and he'd still get his money. And the team wouldn't have to worry about only using that exception on a one-year deal, as they do for DPEs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's weird there has been no rumors annoucements on West of any sort. If he's retiring you'd think you'd have heard a link or two or he even might have announced it by now. If he's looking at offers from other teams, you'd think you'd have heard of a meeting at least. I can only wonder if he's got a deal from the Spurs and is just waiting for all the other pieces to go in place. Or a contingent one at least. Or he's waiting on TD.

West's a big enough name that retirement might make some news at least in the twitterverse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's weird there has been no rumors annoucements on West of any sort. If he's retiring you'd think you'd have heard a link or two or he even might have announced it by now. If he's looking at offers from other teams, you'd think you'd have heard of a meeting at least. I can only wonder if he's got a deal from the Spurs and is just waiting for all the other pieces to go in place. Or a contingent one at least. Or he's waiting on TD.

West's a big enough name that retirement might make some news at least in the twitterverse.
    I guess you missed this link I posted yesterday

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cleve...avid_west.amp#

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, they would save more this season by waiving him, and he'd still get his money. And the team wouldn't have to worry about only using that exception on a one-year deal, as they do for DPEs.

Not trying to be obtuse. I really thought I understood the cap better than this. If they waive him, they either have to take the full cap hit this year, or spread it over three years. But at minimum, that's $2M and change that counts against this year's cap. And since they are totally up against the wall, that $2m limits their ability to sign players. Pretty sure all that is right.

If they get an exception, they still have the hit for his salary, but at least they could fill a roster slot by paying more than a min contract. I was thinking that they could offer a Euro player enough to possibly get him to come over. Yeah, it's a one-year deal, but if he steps up he would get a big payday under next year's expanded cap. I know it would cost more total dollars, but it's the cap that is the big worry right now.

Am I just missing something in the numbers? The Knicks just signed Kuzminskas away from Dogus. I'm still expecting to see more of these Euro players getting signed, because of the salary craziness. I just thought this would give the Spurs the ability to possibly put one of those guys on the roster, where they might not be able to otherwise because they're cap-bound.
    Last edited by GSH; 07-05-2016 at 03:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I missed that. Thanks. Still wonder if something is going on behind the scenes with the Spurs, or if David is just chillin' on a beach thinkin' about his future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just missed on the Lithuanian Kawhi Leonard! Kusmniskas sign two years deal with the Knicks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I missed that. Thanks. Still wonder if something is going on behind the scenes with the Spurs, or if David is just chillin' on a beach thinkin' about his future.

I'd love to see him come back and actually get to play PF, with a real C on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love to see him come back and actually get to play PF, with a real C on the floor.
    Agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just missed on the Lithuanian Kawhi Leonard! Kusmniskas sign two years deal with the Knicks!

Kuzminskas wasn't a bad pickup for the Knicks. He was undrafted, so all they had to do was come to terms on money. They're going to have to buy him out, I'm sure to the max the NBA will allow these days. (Used to be $500K.) He may have to pay more of a buyout himself, so no clue what the salary was at this time. But considering the state of the FA market, I suspect he will be a good value. Certainly as good or better player than some of the other scrubs that are getting paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

this is actually good for us. This dude sucks ass and you know Kerr is gonna give him minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to respect his willingness to give up this much money for a ring.

Thread Information