Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Agreed 100%.

White could be good. He might even turn out great, but there were other prospects the Spurs could've went after that you could easily argue have more potential, and/or are better right now that would've filled more pressing needs.

I'm rooting for White. I really hate the pick though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The negative posts remind me of how everyone felt when we drafted George Hill. Almost identical. I expect he will become the starting SG in a few years unless if Simmons somehow sticks around.. Green's days are numbered. Green will not be dumped, but will be a sweetener to close a deal.
    He doesn't have the athleticism or size to be a good enough defender in the NBA at the SG position.He'll never be a starter, unless Spurs have another 1996-1997 type season.

There's a reason Roger Mason didn't last long in the league after teams started realizing how detrimental it is to start short defensive liabilities on the wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frank Mason's ceiling as a PG is Antonio Daniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope this wasn't like the CJ pick where he was only chosen because of relationships within the organization because all I keep hearing is that White's coach's recommendation was the biggest factor.

In Tad we trust, I guess?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frank Mason ceiling as a PG is Antonio Daniels.
    Wouldn't have taken Mason myself but that's a ty comparison, tbh. Bad take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't have taken Mason myself but that's a ty comparison, tbh. Bad take.
    Really. Why? Please expand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not similar at all, for one. Are you talking about career trajectory or ball skills? If it's the latter, you're way off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, White has more similarities to Daniels than Mason does.

Now the pick makes sense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not similar at all, for one. Are you talking about career trajectory or ball skills? If it's the latter, you're way off.
    Still waiting for a some specifics. Since you won't/can't give specifics I'll give some actual opinion not just PA shade. Both lack/lacked PG vision or passing skills. Both are/were athletic drive to the rim combo guards lacking adequate PG skills to pull off the PG half of the equation and too small for the SG part. Mason will be in and out of the league a few times then out imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, White has more similarities to Daniels than Mason does.

Now the pick makes sense...
    Nah... I watched AD and this guy. They don't play, or move alike.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah... I watched AD and this guy. They don't play, or move alike.
    White is the anti-Daniels. No idea where that comparison came from. Deep, deep left field, at the fence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still waiting for a some specifics. Since you won't/can't give specifics I'll give some actual opinion not just PA shade. Both lack/lacked PG vision or passing skills. Both are/were athletic drive to the rim combo guards lacking adequate PG skills to pull off the PG half of the equationand too small for the SG part.
    Lmao "Wont/Can't"... Didn't think I would need to describe the differences between an apple and orange to you. Then again, you also think LeBron to LA is a possibility.

First of all, they're completely different physically; Daniels being bigger, stronger, while Mason is undersized yet has elite quickness. Second, Mason is a far better shooter and scorer than Daniels ever was, whereas Daniels was certainly a superior defender. Third, you're right about Daniels preferring to get to the rim. That's because Mason loves pulling up in transition or spotting up beyond the arc.

Now, is that enough or should I expect you to be a pedantic ass and start debating minute similarities?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is the anti-Daniels. No idea where that comparison came from. Deep, deep left field, at the fence.
    Didn't claim they were spot on comparisons. All I said was the similarities are closer than Mason and Daniels. Especially physically.

Nice to know your reading comprehension is just as as your player analysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, did you really ever see Daniels play?

Why do you think a rookie PG name Parker, who could pretty much only dribble the ball up the court and pass off to Duncan, beat Daniels out of the starting PG spot 5 games into his NBA career?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've now watched all of the full games on YouTube I could find, though I did drift in and out of sleep during the second half of two of them. I've also watched I think what must be everything else there is, like every game highlight package from the official Colorado U channel.

I feel a little better about him for 2 reasons:

He really is a good enough shooter that Mills should be gone, and I like that. He can really deliver consistently on threes of every type. Off the dribble, dribble into pull-up, off screens, spot up, he has the size and shot to make it. I worry his lean back form might not work so well against NBA length, but it is what it is.

But if Mills is brought back then I don't see what the point was. I guess I'm more anti Mills returning than pro White.

Second, I am more hopeful about his body developing, even at his age, than has happened with Anderson. Anderson has a Mr. Burns body, and while he got a little more sturdy, he still remained embarrassingly slow which has hurt his NBA game. I always was annoyed with the Diaw comparisons; Diaw was an NBA athlete who played with pace, Anderson is a slow guy who plays slow.

Looking at White's frame, I can imagine a scenario where a lot of work on his body can result in a more useful top speed and better burst. Not by a lot, but years of training in the lamest gyms on d-ii campuses and the struggle of transferring and competing at a higher level I think leave him open to useful and meaningful improvement. He doesn't have a Mr. Burns body.

I'm still skeptical of much if his non shooting game translating, I saw a lot of problems at the rim despite the numbers, lazy turnovers even in crunch time, difficulty getting a step on college level players without a screen ...

Strength should help with a lot of that.

Still, the very obvious front court needs are getting even more glaring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the does Tony clearly being better than that scrub Daniels have to do with Mason being a completely different player from Antonio Daniels in just about every way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silly thing to argue about anyway. There were faaaar better comparisons you could've made to Mason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've now watched all of the full games on YouTube I could find, though I did drift in and out of sleep during the second half of two of them. I've also watched I think what must be everything else there is, like every game highlight package from the official Colorado U channel.

I feel a little better about him for 2 reasons:

He really is a good enough shooter that Mills should be gone, and I like that. He can really deliver consistently on threes of every type. Off the dribble, dribble into pull-up, off screens, spot up, he has the size and shot to make it. I worry his lean back form might not work so well against NBA length, but it is what it is.

But if Mills is brought back then I don't see what the point was. I guess I'm more anti Mills returning than pro White.

Second, I am more hopeful about his body developing, even at his age, than has happened with Anderson. Anderson has a Mr. Burns body, and while he got a little more sturdy, he still remained embarrassingly slow which has hurt his NBA game. I always was annoyed with the Diaw comparisons; Diaw was an NBA athlete who played with pace, Anderson is a slow guy who plays slow.

Looking at White's frame, I can imagine a scenario where a lot of work on his body can result in a more useful top speed and better burst. Not by a lot, but years of training in the lamest gyms on d-ii campuses and the struggle of transferring and competing at a higher level I think leave him open to useful and meaningful improvement. He doesn't have a Mr. Burns body.

I'm still skeptical of much if his non shooting game translating, I saw a lot of problems at the rim despite the numbers, lazy turnovers even in crunch time, difficulty getting a step on college level players without a screen ...

Strength should help with a lot of that.

Still, the very obvious front court needs are getting even more glaring.
    With the recent variables that got thrown into the equation with LA finally going to Stephen A to cry about how Pop made him worse, I imagine SA will target front court help this free agency period. Ibaka, Pat Patterson, Terrence Jones and D-Mo are names to watch. If they can get Ibaka to commit, I think LA is dumped to PHX for Chriss or MIA's 1st in 18 .. or maybe PHX has enough leverage in deal to get LA for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love Ibaka on this team. Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on TJ either if he comes cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't claim they were spot on comparisons. All I said was the similarities are closer than Mason and Daniels. Especially physically.

Nice to know your reading comprehension is just as as your player analysis.
    No... I'm starting to question yours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silly thing to argue about anyway. There were faaaar better comparisons you could've made to Mason.
    Ah... you were talking about Mason. NVM, bud. Me thoopid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think Mason's best comparison is Antonio Daniels, you need your damn head checked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah... you were talking about Mason. NVM, bud. Me thoopid.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely do not want a non dribbler like Ibaka on the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely do not want a non dribbler like Ibaka on the team.
    Never thought centers need to be dribblers.

Thread Information