Toronto pick
    Cha pick
    Chicago pick
    The lesser of the 25 pick (SA/Atl)
    Their 27 pick

Keldon
    Graham
    Branham

Again, who out there beats that package? Not who can, but who's willing too?

Lots of people say we have to include 25, but nobody says who gonna offer a better package as compe ion.
    The Hawks would say no. Would be a dumb move on their part to trade Young and let the Spurs keep their 25 pick. Not even they are that stupid. They don't have to trade Trae, but I assume they might if the package is right. Obviously the Spurs won't want to give them Sochan or Vassell, so that means we have to throw in more picks. Like I said, I assume it's all the ATL picks and swaps plus at least 2 firsts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hawks would say no. Would be a dumb move on their part to trade Young and let the Spurs keep their 25 pick. Not even they are that stupid. They don't have to trade Trae, but I assume they might if the package is right. Obviously the Spurs won't want to give them Sochan or Vassell, so that means we have to throw in more picks. Like I said, I assume it's all the ATL picks and swaps plus at least 2 firsts.
    I really wouldn't assume Sochan if out the books in any trade spurs would be willing to do for a star.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wouldn't assume Sochan if out the books in any trade spurs would be willing to do for a star.
    They would only trade him for an upgrade on his position. Impossible to fill the 4 spot right now with a non big man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its possible that nobody can beat it, but short of Trae outright demanding a trade, the hawks can just pass if they dont receive an offer they deem to be fair. even if its the best of a series of other unfair offers. heck it wouldnt shock me if as a necessary condition of the trade they demand not just their own 2025 pick but the better of the spurs/hawks 2025 pick (even if thats almost certainly going to be the hawks pick in this scenario). if the best player they're getting back is keldon, they will be quite greedy with the picks. if nobody meets their demand they can just move on and say no trade materialized

of course, equations change if trae demands to be traded
    Not just to be traded, but traded to a particular destination (he would obviously commit to resign with), which would change ABSOLUTELY everything. POR tried to find a deal with the Heat where Lillard wanted to go, but Miami just didn't have the pieces. Spurs have, no matter what, the pieces to make ATL happy if Trae says that's where he wants to go.

I also disagree on the notion ATL doesn't HAVE TO trade Young. Hawks situatiion have been only degrading these past 2 seasons and I don't really believe it could really get any better. If Hawks think, and I think they do, they're not going anywhere with Young as their franchise guy, and that's he's dead money here, then the more they wait, the more Trae loses value. You can still sell high this summer, not so sure if they go for another disappoiting season, specially if they rejected a trade request...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the Spurs. They not moving Sochan or Vassell. They might move Keldon, but would probably even love their best to keep him around.
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 02-17-2024 at 07:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the Spurs. They not moving Sochan or Vassell. They might move Keldon, but would probably even love their best to keep him around.
    This version of the Spurs wouldn’t hold on too tight to any of those three for the right deal. Heck we traded DJM and White. White was clearly the team’s smartest defender and distributor and Murray was an all-star.

Flipside is both of those moves were to plan for the long-term future, not to acquire a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the Hawks trading Young for crap tbh. UNLESS he starts demanding a trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This version of the Spurs wouldn’t hold on too tight to any of those three for the right deal. Heck we traded DJM and White. White was clearly the team’s smartest defender and distributor and Murray was an all-star.

Flipside is both of those moves were to plan for the long-term future, not to acquire a star.
    I think they are going to try pretty hard to hold onto Vassell and Sochan. Keldon I'm not as sure about. They traded Murray and White because they weren't on the right timelines to build a contender. Vassell and Sochan synergize extremely well with a Trae and Wemby team, have shown good progress, and are also on the correct timeline. Keldon is different because a) his ceiling is limited due to his physical limitations and b) he doesn't synergize as well with a Trae-Wemby team. They would rather keep Vassell and Sochan and rather give up picks as their contention window opens with Trae on board.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking the Matas love. He’s 2nd for me after Risacher in terms of “fit” picks.

I was shocked to see that Holland got no run, wonder what happened there?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they are going to try pretty hard to hold onto Vassell and Sochan. Keldon I'm not as sure about. They traded Murray and White because they weren't on the right timelines to build a contender. Vassell and Sochan synergize extremely well with a Trae and Wemby team, have shown good progress, and are also on the correct timeline. Keldon is different because a) his ceiling is limited due to his physical limitations and b) he doesn't synergize as well with a Trae-Wemby team. They would rather keep Vassell and Sochan and rather give up picks as their contention window opens with Trae on board.
    Keldon would be an awesome 6th man on the next good spurs team, but I also think they did the descending contract precisely because they intend to move him at some point.

He’d have to be in the Trae trade right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's going to make a better offer?

Lot's of people say 'Atl won't take that', but nobody has really given an example of a better offer that any other team is willing to make. So, who's beating it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lot's of people say 'Atl won't take that', but nobody has really given an example of a better offer that any other team is willing to make. So, who's beating it?
    Hopefully someone, so we can leverage those picks from a Trae-less Hawks team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully someone, so we can leverage those picks from a Trae-less Hawks team.
    I get that.... I'm just reiterating the point that offers are relative. Just saying 'they'll never take that' is pointless unless someone else has a stronger offer on the table. I'm also suggesting that Trae's value isn't as high as most think and the fact that nobody can come up with a realistic superior offer is evidence of that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that.... I'm just reiterating the point that offers are relative. Just saying 'they'll never take that' is pointless unless someone else has a stronger offer on the table. I'm also suggesting that Trae's value isn't as high as most think and the fact that nobody can come up with a realistic superior offer is evidence of that.
    I don't think that you just have to beat other teams' offer. You have to offer enough that the prospect of losing Trae is worth more to Hawks' ownership than keeping him. A lot of ownership groups aren't thinking "championship or bust" and have no problem being a treadmill team as long as they continue to sell tickets rather than blowing it up. They would be more willing to trade Trae if he asked out or became a locker room cancer but so far there's been no indication of that. Even if he did publicly ask out, front offices recently have been more willing to hold onto disgruntled stars for an extended period of time until a deal they like materializes.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe I need to watch that clip again. But I don't remember hearing anything that makes me think, "Oh, yeah, Spurs are getting him!!!" It sounded like Rondo mostly saying he's underappreciated. But hey, if this helps create a false narrative that eventually picks up steam, sure, cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I need to watch that clip again. But I don't remember hearing anything that makes me think, "Oh, yeah, Spurs are getting him!!!" It sounded like Rondo mostly saying he's underappreciated. But hey, if this helps create a false narrative that eventually picks up steam, sure, cool.
    Those are two unrelated tweets that he’s sharing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are two unrelated tweets that he’s sharing
    Thanks. Makes more sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that you just have to beat other teams' offer. You have to offer enough that the prospect of losing Trae is worth more to Hawks' ownership than keeping him. A lot of ownership groups aren't thinking "championship or bust" and have no problem being a treadmill team as long as they continue to sell tickets rather than blowing it up. They would be more willing to trade Trae if he asked out or became a locker room cancer but so far there's been no indication of that. Even if he did publicly ask out, front offices recently have been more willing to hold onto disgruntled stars for an extended period of time until a deal they like materializes.
    Then let them keep him. He's a nice player, but he's not worth valuing more than every other team in the league values him by a significant number just because Atlanta ownership desires to be 'mid'.

Also, all of the smoke about Atl trading him has been put out by either Trae's camp or Atl management, so their heading towards a trade either way. Atl may be happy with 'mid', but they can't even do that successfully with the acrimony thats coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's not the point. The point is ATL can just stand pat. And if the T'Wolves offer KAT, there's your better offer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My plumber's gym buddy's friend from Junior High said he talked to a realtor friend who saw Trae Young's wife in SA looking for houses! It's happening!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an interesting idea that Atlanta would think they can't build around Trae, so they're going to trade him, tank, hope to get a Wemby-like #1 option via the draft or free agency, and then go out and find another Trae-like guy to be the #2 option.

Have to say, I'm not moved at all by Rondo paying the guy compliments. That happens all the time. He also emphasizes how Trae is "always the shortest guy on the floor."
    The narrative of the little guy doing well is nice, but that doesn't win les, and players often let their emotions rule their basketball opinions over other factors. LeBron and AD honestly thought trading for Westbrook was a good move, and we all see how that turned out-- as did the vast majority of analysts before the three played a single game together. Players back in the day loved Iverson more than Duncan because Iverson had the same "little guy vs the world" narrative and more alleged "street cred." But he still finished his career with zero rings-- which was totally predictable, as 6' SGs statistically almost never win rings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not the point. The point is ATL can just stand pat. And if the T'Wolves offer KAT, there's your better offer
    But it's exactly the point. There's no world where we should bid against ourselves in attempt to 'pry' him away. If they want to keep him and pay him $43M/per+ to be 'mid', then so be it.

I mean if he's not 'available' and we're trying to pry him away with a Godfather package then we should be canvassing the league for better players to pry away with that package.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it's exactly the point. There's no world where we should bid against ourselves in attempt to 'pry' him away. If they want to keep him and pay him $43M/per+ to be 'mid', then so be it.

I mean if he's not 'available' and we're trying to pry him away with a Godfather package then we should be canvassing the league for better players to pry away with that package.
    And Yes, KAT would be a better offer, so would Embiid, or Joker, but none of those are on the table nor likely to be. What incentive does Minnesota have to trade KAT when they are at the top of the west? Last summer that may have made sense, but not now.

Thread Information