13 21.67%
  • Under

47 78.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year there were ~450 3PA between; Marco, CJ, and Bonner! Plus Diaw took 162 shots shooting 32%. LMA is at 35%, I am pretty sure he will be above 180. KL had 192 3PA at 34.9%

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under. He will sit a bunch of 4th quarters due to the Spurs destroying teams.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Last year there were ~450 3PA between; Marco, CJ, and Bonner! Plus Diaw took 162 shots shooting 32%. LMA is at 35%, I am pretty sure he will be above 180. KL had 192 3PA at 34.9%
    You are comparing apples to oranges. Marco/Bonner are out there as designated 3 point shooters & Kawhi is usually in the corner by design. Diaw shoots 3s b/c he isn't much of a mid range guy & teams actually beg him to take 3s. On the other hand, LMA's bread & butter has always been the mid-range shot thus he has to go out of his way to abandon his sweet spot & shoot 3s.

Garnett for example was a mid-range guy but never really became a 3 point shooter even though a lot of his shots attempts were near the 3 point line & you can also say the same for D-West. Carmelo (aka the LMA of SFs) started mixing it up at the advice of Kidd but most of his 3 point attempts are pull-up & he plays a different position than LMA.

Love is basically a 3 point shooter, Dirk went from being a 3 point shooter to being more of a mid-range guy & Rasheed went from being an inside player to being a 3 point shooter w/o even bother much w/ mid-range shots. Bosh could be a blue print for LMA but Bosh is soft as which is why he's happy jacking up 3s nowadays.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 10-03-2015 at 01:08 AM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I wonder if West will attempt some, tbh.
    D-West is too macho to jack up 3s, he's most likely going to be bullying backup forwards in the post when he's isn't taking mid-range shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen a couple Aldridge videos, and I like when he is playing near the rim at times on offensive rebounds. He seems to a very good job on tipping in a lot of offensive rebounds something we haven't had for quiet a while. I do hope we run a lot of pick and pops for him but the plays we are going to the basket, I would like to see him clean up a lot of misses. So I hope his 3 pointers are down this season is what I'm trying to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen a couple Aldridge videos, and I like when he is playing near the rim at times on offensive rebounds. He seems to a very good job on tipping in a lot of offensive rebounds something we haven't had for quiet a while. I do hope we run a lot of pick and pops for him but the plays we are going to the basket, I would like to see him clean up a lot of misses. So I hope his 3 pointers are down this season is what I'm trying to say.
    I like this too. I actually do like him playing close to the basket some. I already voted under. Other guys convinced me, but he's a very good rebounder and has good quickness for a big guy.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    With Tim most likely playing in the paint LMA is better suited to stick to his mid-range jumpers & fade-aways. He's a good offensive rebound b/c he has long ass arm thus doesn't need to jump to tap the ball but on the defensive side he actually has to block out thus there is more work to do. Tim is most likely going to be the garbage man while LMA/Kawhi launch mid-range/fade-aways. Pop also doesn't like players attacking the offensive board b/c the opposition can counterattack w/ fastbreaks.

In any case, I wouldn't be worried about rebounding considering the starting frontline consists of Tim/LMA/Kawhi all of whom can average 10 per if they wanted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Tim most likely playing in the paint LMA is better suited to stick to his mid-range jumpers & fade-aways. He's a good offensive rebound b/c he has long ass arm thus doesn't need to jump to tap the ball but on the defensive side he actually has to block out thus there is more work to do. Tim is most likely going to be the garbage man while LMA/Kawhi launch mid-range/fade-aways. Pop also doesn't like players attacking the offensive board b/c the opposition can counterattack w/ fastbreaks.

In any case, I wouldn't be worried about rebounding considering the starting frontline consists of Tim/LMA/Kawhi all of whom can average 10 per if they wanted.
    I agree with this too, but I do think they will mix it up a little... at least I hope. I want to see some big to big passing possibly as well. I missed the era of Timmy and David entirely, but even Timmy and Tiago passing inside was fun. Tiago had no range but he was a good passer an unselfish guy. Boris and Timmy has a lot more spacing, but they passed a lot among themselves as well. The focus of this era is Kawhi, LMA though so its going to look entirely different, but I do not mind the occassional LMA close to the basket. He was a good roll man too with BAtum throwing him lobs. Not suprised at all Batum is a better passer than Lillard. I feel like LMA was not used very creatively by Portland and lately they asked him to shoot 3s to open things up for Lillard. I want to see LMA beasting a little bit TBH.

For me some 3s is fine, but not all 3s come on ppl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tendencies and strategy will most likely change depending on who is in the court. I xan see the team allowing LMA to go for offensive boards playing alongside the 2nd unit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under. He will sit a bunch of 4th quarters due to the Spurs destroying teams.
    This. Also already mentioned, he'll miss some games. Maybe sit a game or two. Pop might encourage 3's from his higher % locations, and encourage fewer from the rest, balancing out.

But, I think this team has great depth, and he'll be sharing the limelight with a murder's row of a bench sometimes (and the starting five isn't so shabby either). I think our bench may just destroy some teams this year.

But, although 35% isn't too bad, it's not lights out. No need to be settling for that. Work it to Green, et al, if we're going to be shooting 3's.

Austin Daye is a career 35% 3 shooter, and we all know you guys' feelings about his shooting abilities. He shot .414 and .333 in his two partial seasons here as a scrub. I chose "under" as a hopeful prediction. I hope he's not shooting too many.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    over

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't watched this player enough to know whether he is worth a at the 3 pt line. It is a long season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you set the number at 180, it's obviously under.

If you had said 100, we'd have something to debate about.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you set the number at 180, it's obviously under.

If you had said 100, we'd have something to debate about.
    There is way more to debate at 180 than 100. 100 is a sure thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is way more to debate at 180 than 100. 100 is a sure thing.
    Why do you think that?

Aldridge's 3PA each season:

07 - 2
    08 - 7
    09 - 28
    10 - 16
    11 - 23
    12 - 11
    13 - 14
    14 - 15
    15 - 105

He has never approached 180. Only once has he surpassed 100. So...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over. Boris Diaw, who I consider a VERY reluctant 3 point shooter, managed to hoist 169 of them last year. LMA is not a reluctant anything, and the Spurs will convince him through numbers that he's better off taking those two steps back and shooting 35% than shooting 45% from long two land.
    I was going to say under, but you make a very good point. If Aldridge had gone to the Rockets, I'd definitely say over. I don't think Aldridge shooting the 3 is necessarily a bad thing. The main beneficiaries would be guys who can get to the basket (Kawhi, Tony, Manu) by way of spacing. Boris has great post moves and is effective down low, but Aldridge is even better on the post due to athleticism (quickness) and mid-range shooting touch. That said, I am still betting under. If Aldridge is being groomed to take Tim's place, then I would assume they want him thinking "big". I would imagine that open 3s for guys like Green and Mills would result from using Aldridge like a younger Tim or even The Admiral. Most likely the Spurs will mix things up and experiment so as to not become too predictable. However Aldridge works best with the team around him, that's how he'll be used this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way Aldridge is getting groomed to take tim place..He's 30 years old.

The Spurs will suck his talent dry the first two years and will most likely look for a third star once his game fades a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was going to say under, but you make a very good point. If Aldridge had gone to the Rockets, I'd definitely say over. I don't think Aldridge shooting the 3 is necessarily a bad thing. The main beneficiaries would be guys who can get to the basket (Kawhi, Tony, Manu) by way of spacing. Boris has great post moves and is effective down low, but Aldridge is even better on the post due to athleticism (quickness) and mid-range shooting touch. That said, I am still betting under. If Aldridge is being groomed to take Tim's place, then I would assume they want him thinking "big". I would imagine that open 3s for guys like Green and Mills would result from using Aldridge like a younger Tim or even The Admiral. Most likely the Spurs will mix things up and experiment so as to not become too predictable. However Aldridge works best with the team around him, that's how he'll be used this year.
    I briefly read an article that showed the impact that big men playing close to the basket have on open 3 point shots. Its significant. You definitely want a big man playing close to the basekt to draw help and open the floor for 3 point shooters. Aldridge is versatile in that he can do both. I agree that he's athletic/quick and sufficiently strong to start scaring ppl if he rolls to the basket or starts to grab position there. He could potentially play some minutes without Timmy as many have pointed out. Here is the article I mentioned:
    http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/07/24/...oint-shooting/

Also:
    https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/sta...220928/photo/1

Edit: (Sorry I dont know how to post tweets but its a nice graphic.)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are comparing apples to oranges. Marco/Bonner are out there as designated 3 point shooters & Kawhi is usually in the corner by design. Diaw shoots 3s b/c he isn't much of a mid range guy & teams actually beg him to take 3s. On the other hand, LMA's bread & butter has always been the mid-range shot thus he has to go out of his way to abandon his sweet spot & shoot 3s.

Garnett for example was a mid-range guy but never really became a 3 point shooter even though a lot of his shots attempts were near the 3 point line & you can also say the same for D-West. Carmelo (aka the LMA of SFs) started mixing it up at the advice of Kidd but most of his 3 point attempts are pull-up & he plays a different position than LMA.

Love is basically a 3 point shooter, Dirk went from being a 3 point shooter to being more of a mid-range guy & Rasheed went from being an inside player to being a 3 point shooter w/o even bother much w/ mid-range shots. Bosh could be a blue print for LMA but Bosh is soft as which is why he's happy jacking up 3s nowadays.
    You are correct they all have different roles on the court, but my question is this; who do you expect take these shots, Patty will take some but I expect LMA to take some as well. He has the highest 3P%, other than tony, and danny and well bonner. It would be silly for Pop not to have him shooting 3s. As far the Garnett reference, LMA was taking <30 3PA before last year in which he had 105 and it's something he said he wants to add to his game. Again, why would Pop not let him shoot 3s???????

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over. Pop would rather have LMA shooting NBA threes than college threes.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    You are correct they all have different roles on the court, but my question is this; who do you expect take these shots, Patty will take some but I expect LMA to take some as well. He has the highest 3P%, other than tony, and danny and well bonner. It would be silly for Pop not to have him shooting 3s. As far the Garnett reference, LMA was taking <30 3PA before last year in which he had 105 and it's something he said he wants to add to his game. Again, why would Pop not let him shoot 3s???????
    It's not that he will be banned from taking 3s it's just that his sweet spot in inside the 3 point arc & it's better if he post-up to draw double teams rather than camping at the arc launching 3s. I could see him spotting up at the corner for end of game situations if Kawhi is isolating or taking dagger 3s if he finds himself wide open on a play. Otherwise, it would require a high PnR set to give him good looks but we have yet to see the offensive sets for the upcoming season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over. Pop would rather have LMA shooting NBA threes than college threes.
    This.

You guys aren't even looking at this right. His threes won't come at the expense of post-ups, they'll come from the 250+ shots he takes from 16-23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he won't be allowed to shoot them unless he can make a certain one .500. Then it will be scaled, but until he can consistently show, that he can make a wide open 3 from a specific position. Not going to be part of the plan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Bosh is a good comparison to look at in this situation:

Aldridge
    % of FGA by Distance FG% by Distance
    Season Age Tm Lg Pos G MP FG% 2P 0-3 3-10 10-16 16 <3 3P 2P 0-3 3-10 10-16 16 <3 3P
    2014-15 29 POR NBA PF 71 2512 .466 .926 .192 .164 .206 .365 .074 .475 .701 .448 .392 .415 .352

Bosh
    Season Age Tm Lg Pos G MP FG% 2P 0-3 3-10 10-16 16 <3 3P 2P 0-3 3-10 10-16 16 <3 3P
    2012-13 28 MIA NBA C 74 2454 .535 .918 .294 .133 .128 .363 .082 .557 .749 .380 .379 .529 .284
    2013-14 29 MIA NBA C 79 2531 .516 .771 .280 .106 .109 .276 .229 .569 .712 .495 .481 .487 .339

Bosh's total three point attempts jumped from 74 to 218 (2.8/game) even though he was a much worse shooter than LMA at the time. As others have already aluded to you can also see that the Bosh mostly took more threes instead of long twos while still getting a healthy amount of shots inside. So I don't think that getting to 180 is much of a stretch at all.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I think Bosh is a good comparison to look at in this situation:

Aldridge
    2014-15 29 POR NBA PF 71 2512 .466 .926 .192 .164 .206 .365 .074 .475 .701 .448 .392 .415 .352

Bosh
    2012-13 28 MIA NBA C 74 2454 .535 .918 .294 .133 .128 .363 .082 .557 .749 .380 .379 .529 .284
    2013-14 29 MIA NBA C 79 2531 .516 .771 .280 .106 .109 .276 .229 .569 .712 .495 .481 .487 .339

Bosh's total three point attempts jumped from 74 to 218 (2.8/game) even though he was a much worse shooter than LMA at the time. As others have already aluded to you can also see that the Bosh mostly took more threes instead of long twos while still getting a healthy amount of shots inside. So I don't think that getting to 180 is much of a stretch at all.
    Bosh had to become a 3 point shooter b/c LeBron & Wade along w/ the defense were occupying the space inside the 3 point arc.

Thread Information