Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    CosmicCowboyXXX
    yes ther is a spring at San Pedro park but it doesn't feed the SA Riverwalk.

*hint*

before it gets to downtown it flows through Brackenridge park.

it becomes "controlled" for the riverwalk there at 281 and Josephine...

but...

where does it come from?

Useruser666
    Aquarena Springs!!!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

CosmicCowboyXXX

*buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

wrong...

CosmicCowboyXXX
    speaking of aquarena springs...

why was the original dam that formed the "lake" at aquarena springs built?

Useruser666
    Um I think some of the lake formed naturally but wasn't it a Spanish mission?

CosmicCowboyXXX
    The Spanish settled there in the 1700's but The Indians settled it 12,000 years ago. That little valley where aquarena springs is has been claimed by archeologists to be the oldest do ented continually occupied area in North America.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    btw the lake was not natural...it was first dammed in 1849 and redone in the late 1800's...that building next to it was an electrical generating station and ice plant built then.

Useruser666
    Well, what I meant about the lake being natural, is anything bigger than a puddle in San Antonio is a lake. So were those dam indians who settled that area back then?

"Welcome everyone to the dam tour. I'm your dam guide. Please feel free to take all the dam pictures you want."

CosmicCowboyXXX
    more than you probably wanted to know about aquarena springs

About 150 million years ago, this area of Texas was a submerged coral reef system. As the sea receded, geologic movement created the Balcones Escarpment, a fault line that separates the Texas "hill country" from the lowlands. The shift in the ground created the Edwards Aquifer, an underground reservoir that is 175 miles (280 km) long.

From 1979 to 1982, Dr. Joel Shinner, an archaeologist from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, conducted an underwater excavation of a small area near one of the springs at Aquarena Center. This dig produced more than 50,000 artifacts. The oldest of these reportedly dates back 12,000 years to the Clovis Indians. With an endless supply of fresh water and game, the artifacts uncovered suggest Native Americans have continually inhabited this haven.

The first group of Europeans to discover the more than 200 springs around the Aquarena area was a Spanish expedition in 1709. Franciscan monks later named the river produced by the springs after the holiday on which it was discovered ? St. Mark's Day, or San Marcos. The San Xavier Mission was established at the Aquarena Center's present location and the springs became an important stop for travelers on the Spanish Camino Real from Nacogdoches to Mexico City.

General Edward Burleson, a former vice president of the Republic of Texas, bought the land around Aquarena Springs in the early 1840s. In 1849, he constructed what is now the second-oldest dam in Texas downriver of the springs. This created the present 16-acre (4-hectare) Spring Lake that covers the springs.

Before the dam forced the water level to rise to its present depth (the deepest part of the lake is about 28 feet [8.5 m]), the force of the water coming from the springs created a natural fountain. In 1846, William McClintock wrote about the largest of the springs, "?the channel here is 40 yards wide, the water 15 to 20 feet deep, yet so strong is the ebullition of the spring that the water is thrown two or three feet above the surface of the stream."

Several mills and an ice factory were built to harness the power of the springs in the late 1800s. The area was also an important stop for the Chisholm cattle trail from 1867 to 1895.

In 1928, Arthur Rodgers built the Spring Lake Hotel next to the upper series of springs and established the area as a resort. The Great Depression forced the closure of the hotel and it temporarily became a hospital. Rodgers' son, Paul, renewed the resort after World War II and laid the foundations for the beginning of an amusement park by offering glass-bottom boat tours of the springs in 1946.

A submarine theater was constructed in 1951 to allow patrons to view underwater mermaid shows like the ones made famous in Florida. "Ralph the Diving Pig" became a major attraction at the park with his "swine dives" and other aquatic tricks in 1969 until he retired nearly 20 years later. A Swiss sky rail ride was added to the park to help attract about 250,000 visitors a year during its best seasons.

After attendance began to decline, the land was sold to the university, which initially maintained it as an entertainment park but gradually converted the area into an educational center.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    Ok...we beat that one to death.

the southeast corner of Bitters and West avenue...solid shopping centers, movie theaters, and reataurants...

what used to be there?

Mark Bryant
    What famous 1983 movie was filmed partly in San Antonio?

Useruser666
    What movie was The Century Building seen in?

timvp
    What famous 1983 movie was filmed partly in San Antonio?
    Johnny Be Good? Supposedly some of that was filmed at my elementary school.

SAmikeyp
    1983...was that Cloak and Dagger?

Useruser666
    Yep SAmikeyp you did the same Google search I did. And I thought it was Godzilla at first.

travis2
    isn't the spring on the grounds of UIW?

CosmicCowboyXXX
    *ding*ding*ding*

we have a winner on the SA River question...

SAmikeyp
    the I did User. I know my stuff!!

CosmicCowboyXXX
    good mikey...then get busy answering my questions!..:p

SpursWoman
    Johnny Be Good? Supposedly some of that was filmed at my elementary school.
    Alamo Heights High School

Taz1
    ...the southeast corner of Bitters and West avenue ...
    the san pedro drive-inn !

Taz1
    o.k., here's one that i bet nobody gets ...
    at the intersection of blanco rd & fresno, on the ne corner, there's a convenience store / mini-strip center with a laundr-o-mat & a panaderia ...
    what was there in the late seventies, into the mid eighties ?

SpursWoman
    7-11?

travis2
    BTW...clarification on the answer for Ursuline/Cornerstone...

Antonian may have once been a boys school...but it's been co-ed for a while now...

Taz1
    no to the answer from spurswoman, not 7-11

Thread Information