My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    God I LOVE college football!
    this

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    I think A&M is a legit 4, not so much Okie St. TT should def be a 3, but Tuberville, if given time, will eventually raise TT to a 4, based on the criteria (IMO)

Basically, you guys should both feel good that your schools are in the ascendancy.

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    We're likely finishing the season as a top-10 team;
    lol

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    We'll have 10 returning starters on offense and 8 on defense.

Our offense will include Tannehill, Fuller, Swope, Nwachukwu, Gray, and Michael. We may even use Manziel at receiver in some situations, as he mentioned he might take the 'Tannehill' route to the quarterback position.

Lets just say [Manziel's] a Vince Young style QB. Just look up his stats last week vs Madison. I was there......amazing

The only problem on him, like someone already said, is that he's kinda short for a College QB. He is also a very good WR(UT actually wanted to offer him for WR, but he only wants to play QB)
    Our defense is in its second year under DeRuyter and should be more fully integrated into his system.

Our schedule is favorable. The hardest game will be in Norman; the others are very winnable.

SMU
    Idaho
    Oklahoma State
    Arkansas (in Dallas)
    at Texas Tech
    Baylor
    at Iowa State
    Missouri
    at Oklahoma
    at Kansas State
    Kansas
    Texas

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    There's no doubt the potential is there, but this is A&M we're talking about. One good season and all of a sudden aggies are national le contenders? That's a bit premature in my opinion. (i know you didn't say that but that's the general consensus among aggie football fans).

I look forward to seeing what happens, and maybe proven wrong.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    i'm not sure a&m has done enough yet to merit a 4. they are certainly improving and poised to have a break out season but i'm not sold yet on an almost elite status.

also, not sure texas has tanked enough yet to be a non-elite. i can only think the 4 rating is based on a low expectation for the horns this upcoming season.

if there was a .5 i'd say texas would be a 4.5, a&m a 3.5, tech a 3 and baylor a 2.5.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    manziel was a 3 star recruit based on size but he's a bit taller than chase daniels and just about an inch shorter than mccoy and brees so he can definitely play college QB. the problem is he will be facing stiff compe ion in the upcoming years as a&m is starting to get some nice recruits for that position.

what sherman is really having great success with is his offensive line. he is really building one stout line and that is a huge start to having success on the offensive side of the ball.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    if there was a .5 i'd say texas would be a 4.5, a&m a 3.5, tech a 3 and baylor a 2.5.
    Agreed.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    You're ing about how A&M should be a 3 because you're bitter that we're now on the ascendant track Tech appeared to be on a few years ago, before you returned to mediocrity.
    I'm not ing about anything. I simply said A&M should be a 3 according to this scale.

You're the one acting like a huge pussy because I called A&M a 3.

Your bitterness has clouded your judgment. We're likely starting and finishing the season as a top-10 team; our recruiting has benefited enormously already from our success last year (success we are likely to top this year). Any objective person would have little problem saying a team with those factors could 'potentially join the elite,' especially when combined with the resources and rabid support of the 7th-largest university in the nation.
    You yourself said that this year's recruiting class was bad.

Elite teams don't have bad recruiting years.

Also, your 2011 statistical anomaly notwithstanding, A&M will likely bring in classes superior to Tech for the foreseeable future.

Care to dispute on the merits, or does your Tech education exclusively provide you with name-calling as a retort?
    A&M has historically had better recruiting classes and the 2012 looks great so far. Still doesn't explain 2011's mediocre class.

What's hilarious is that I heard all about A&M resources, support, alumni and superiority all last decade while Tech bent the Aggies over year in and year out and shoved giant rolled up tortillas up their whoopin asses.

What a .

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    i'm not sure a&m has done enough yet to merit a 4. they are certainly improving and poised to have a break out season but i'm not sold yet on an almost elite status.

also, not sure texas has tanked enough yet to be a non-elite. i can only think the 4 rating is based on a low expectation for the horns this upcoming season.
    That.

I think A&M has had the right talent in the right spots at the right time to have good seasons last year and this coming year.

I think Sherman is a mediocre coach and hasn't proven anything to me on any level that he is better than mediocre.

Maybe he gets them to elite status, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Can't disagree much there.

I'd go further though on the scale though.

OU 5.0, UT 4.6, A&M 3.4, Tech 3.3, Baylor 2.8

I would put Okie St at a solid 4 if they had been able to keep Leach protege Dana Hologerson, but I think it's a big enough loss to knock them back to a 3.5.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    That.

I think A&M has had the right talent in the right spots at the right time to have good seasons last year and this coming year.

I think Sherman is a mediocre coach and hasn't proven anything to me on any level that he is better than mediocre.

Maybe he gets them to elite status, but I wouldn't bet on it.

the jury is still out on sherman. he has been recruiting better as of late (this past year notwithstanding) and he has really addressed a few glaring deficiencies which were out of control when fran was in charge. one, the offensive line is much, much better. two, he has much better assistant coaches and finally, he's trying to bring back speed to the program, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

what i am still concerned about is not his x's and o's but his feel for the game during the game. does he know how to make adjustments ? does he know when to stick with the run or the pass, the blitz or a certain coverage? this past season he showed glimpses of that so we'll see early if that continues with back to back games with okie state, arkansas and tech.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    You yourself said that this year's recruiting class was bad.

Elite teams don't have bad recruiting years.
    Reading comprehension fail.

'4: potential to join the sport's elite in the near future.'

This year's recruiting class is based on A&M's level of success prior to this past year; we haven't had a good team in a decade (though we did thrash Tech in Lubbock Leach's final year when everyone was predicting a blowout in Tech's favor).

No one said A&M is an elite team now. Look up 'potential' and 'future' in a dictionary; it might clear things up for you.

What's hilarious is that I heard all about A&M resources, support, alumni and superiority all last decade while Tech bent the Aggies over year in and year out and shoved giant rolled up tortillas up their whoopin asses.
    Yeah, oddly enough those things aren't as helpful with recruiting when the team just doesn't win. They're much more useful when you can combine them with success; they can amplify your recruiting ability in the right cir stances. Now that we seem to be leaving the vicious cycle of bad season > poor recruits > bad season that Fran had us locked into, we have the potential to move into the better version (success > great recruits > more success).

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Reading comprehension fail.

'4: potential to join the sport's elite in the near future.'

This year's recruiting class is based on A&M's level of success prior to this past year; we haven't had a good team in a decade (though we did thrash Tech in Lubbock Leach's final year when everyone was predicting a blowout in Tech's favor).

No one said A&M is an elite team now. Look up 'potential' and 'future' in a dictionary; it might clear things up for you.
    Right, potential. The recruiting class is part of the potential.

You yourself said this year's class is bad.

That's part of the future potential.

If it makes you feel better, I will rephrase my former comment:

"Potentially elite teams do not have bad recruiting years."

Yeah, oddly enough those things aren't as helpful with recruiting when the team just doesn't win. They're much more useful when you can combine them with success; they can amplify your recruiting ability in the right cir stances. Now that we seem to be leaving the vicious cycle of bad season > poor recruits > bad season that Fran had us locked into, we have the potential to move into the better version (success > great recruits > more success).
    Yeah, oddly enough, Fran had great recruiting classes even with the giant tortilla up his ass.

According to Rivals, this past 2011 recruiting season was the 2nd worst in last 10 years, only better than the one during the Coach Fran fallout.

you have no idea what you are talking about but it's fun to watch you act like you do.

lol future potential

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    LSU Tigers
    Post Count
    God I LOVE college football!
    yeah.

I'm making the trip to Dallas to see the LSU vs. Oregon season opener. I can't ing wait.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Yeah, oddly enough, Fran had great recruiting classes even with the giant tortilla up his ass.

According to Rivals, this past 2011 recruiting season was the 2nd worst in last 10 years, only better than the one during the Coach Fran fallout.

you have no idea what you are talking about but it's fun to watch you act like you do.

lol future potential
    to be fair, the 2012 class is shaping up to be a possible top 10 class and sherman is already getting some nice 2013 recruits. these are trends fran never demonstrated in his entire tenure at a&m.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    to be fair, the 2012 class is shaping up to be a possible top 10 class and sherman is already getting some nice 2013 recruits. these are trends fran never demonstrated in his entire tenure at a&m.
    Fran years:

2003 #10
    2004 #13
    2005 #8

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...k/2003/all/all

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    pwned!

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Right, potential. The recruiting class is part of the potential.

You yourself said this year's class is bad.

That's part of the future potential.
    This year's 'bad' class (relative to normally stronger classes) was recruited based on the uncertainty and results of 2009; the 2010 year has already provided us with a strong incoming class for next year.

Sherman had to rebuild the wreck Fran left us in and managed to do so, to the point where we're starting the season in or near the top 10. One relatively weak class will not kill a program, especially when it's bookended with great classes.

And as you said, recruiting is only 'part' of the potential. You're not even looking at all the current talent from the combined classes to base your prediction on; you're predicting we don't even have the potential to join the elite based on one recruiting class (part of a part of the potential) while ignoring the other strong (and improving) classes and the coaching that built up the program from the Fran years to a top-10 team.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    If we could consistently pull in classes like that during the Fran years (obviously not helped at all by performance on the field) imagine what we could do with a top-10 season. We managed a 3-year average class ranking of 10.33 during the Fran debacle. Logically, improved field performance should lead to better classes.

You don't think classes ranked 5-10 combined with coaching that took us from the Fran era to top-10 status on the field will allow us the 'potential' to join the elite?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    This year's 'bad' class (relative to normally stronger classes) was recruited based on the uncertainty and results of 2009;
    and you know this how?

link please.

Sherman had to rebuild the wreck Fran left us in and managed to do so, to the point where we're starting the season in or near the top 10. One relatively weak class will not kill a program, especially when it's bookended with great classes.
    I would agree.

But that doesnt mean 'potentially elite' any time soon.

And as you said, recruiting is only 'part' of the potential. You're not even looking at all the current talent from the combined classes to base your prediction on; you're predicting we don't even have the potential to join the elite based on one recruiting class (part of a part of the potential) while ignoring the other strong (and improving) classes and the coaching that built up the program from the Fran years to a top-10 team.
    ok, for fun, define "elite."

also list a number of elite schools so we can compare and contrast rosters, head coaches and recruiting classes for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and see if A&M has what it takes to potentially make this list in the near future.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Logically, improved field performance should lead to better classes.
    You might think that, but there isn't any real data to support those findings. Especially if you would logically consider the opposite to be true in that failing field performance leads to poorer classes.

I would say that championships and exposure (and cheating) lead to better classes more than just finishing better than the previous year in the rankings.

You don't think classes ranked 5-10 combined with coaching that took us from the Fran era to top-10 status on the field will allow us the 'potential' to join the elite?
    Jury is still out on the coaching.

I think Sherman is mediocre myself.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    and you know this how?

link please.
    Link to what? Recruits base a large part of their decision on whether or not they think they can be successful at your school. If the school has a bad year or coaching changes/uncertainty, that hurts your ability to recruit. This is common knowledge. As far as saying it was a 'bad' class, that was relative to what we normally bring in.

What were your impressions of the Aggies' 2011 class last year that signed in February?

"I think last year was when you kind of started seeing maybe the transition of this coaching staff really cementing themselves, because it takes time to do that. That's not an easy thing to do. So we were impressed with it. We thought it was one of the top classes in the country. Not any, in my opinion, at the top end of the scale. Last year's class did not have anything near the top end of what this class looks to have right now. Twenty-three guys ended up signing with them. I'd say the top half of those guys are bona fide, BCS conference-caliber potential starters who can win games for you. This class this year, in comparison, could have 4-6 potential difference makers on top of what I mentioned earlier about that middle third that can be so important."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...cruiting-trail

But that doesnt mean 'potentially elite' any time soon.

ok, for fun, define "elite."
    Potential to join the elite: this year could be the start of the trend that establishes A&M as being among the elite. Elite performance would be landing in the top 10; 'elite' schools consistently land in the top 10 over a period of time (a decade for example), and have a smattering of conference championships and maybe a national le.

also list a number of elite schools so we can compare and contrast rosters, head coaches and recruiting classes for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and see if A&M has what it takes to potentially make this list in the near future.
    Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and LSU have been elite for a decade or more; of course our recruiting classes will not yet compare with theirs, especially over any length of time. Consistent improvement on the field under Mike Sherman leading to a top-10 season combined with increasing success in recruiting could be the start of a trend in which A&M joins the elite, and eventually over several years establishes itself among the elite.

What was your definition of elite?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and LSU have been elite for a decade or more; of course our recruiting classes will not yet compare with theirs, especially over any length of time.

What was your definition of elite?
    Those schools define 'elite' just fine, imo.

If 'of course your recruiting classes will not yet compare with theirs, especially over any length of time', then explain again where you think the potential is coming from to join this group of elites in the near future.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Those schools define 'elite' just fine, imo.

If 'of course your recruiting classes will not yet compare with theirs, especially over any length of time', then explain again where you think the potential is coming from to join this group of elites in the near future.
    Just because a class is not as highly ranked as someone else's doesn't mean you don't have the potential to play on par with them. See Boise State.

Our recruiting classes are much better than Boise's, and the more success we have the more likely the incoming classes will progressively improve. Sherman has already taken the team from the Fran era to near top-10 ranking, and DeRuyter took the defense from 104th in 2009 to 21st in 2010. We are not certain to join the elite, but I think we clearly have the potential to do so.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Just because a class is not as highly ranked as someone else's doesn't mean you don't have the potential to play on par with them. See Boise State.

Our recruiting classes are much better than Boise's, and the more success we have the more likely the incoming classes will progressively improve. Sherman has already taken the team from the Fran era to near top-10 ranking, and DeRuyter took the defense from 104th in 2009 to 21st in 2010.
    Except that A&M hasn't proven they can play on par with the elite any time recently.

We are not certain to join the elite, but I think we clearly have the potential to do so.
    In the near future? We know you think A&M will finish top ten this year.

What do you predict A&M's ranking to be at the end of the 2012 football season?

Thread Information