Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like his hunchback is gone too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I'm a little scared of Neal sneaking into back up PG spot as playoffs approach, Pop's defensive resurgence this year gives me more confidence he would consider the idea of a defensive back up PG instead of a shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree and great thread, been waiting to see him out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "2nd best PG in the Spurs"

that's not saying much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sensational performance, the benefits of running the Spurs system up in Austin!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can remember quite a few on here, thinking the Spurs reached for him in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small sample

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - the only thing that matters is do you really believe CJ has a shot even if he plays well to be the de facto BUPG? Look at all the evidence from the season, the multiple guys having good games only to lose time to Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some reason it took Pop too much time to give Cory his chance. By his second season Parker was running the show in the '03 le run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was such a pleasant surprise. I've always supported him so all I can say is that I am very happy for Joseph. Some Spurs fans should really learn how to be more patient SAS young players, especially one very young that came to the NBA as a freshman.

Cojo haters should shop up right now and apologize. Guys that said he wouldn't even have his TO picked look bad right now.

RAM
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ageed. He really is the only other true point guard on the roster, tbh. Gary Neal shouldn't see another minute at the point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, by default..

I was impressed by Joseph tonight, particularly his improved offense..

I'm still worried that he's soft, based on previous PT, but it could have been attributed to being nervous and green..Wednesday's game should be a decent test..

Regardless, his ball-handling, defense and youth should be enough to warrant a bigger role than the other PGs on the roster..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw this kid play in-person last year against Houston in the pre-season. He was as raw as can be, but he played aggresively with that "moxie." He knew none of the plays and couldn't shoot the ball, but he just made plays happen on the court.

I always thought the kid had the potential to be good if he worked hard, and I'm glad he's making good on it.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    It was such a pleasant surprise. I've always supported him so all I can say is that I am very happy for Joseph. Some Spurs fans should really learn how to be more patient SAS young players, especially one very young that came to the NBA as a freshman.

Cojo haters should shop up right now and apologize. Guys that said he wouldn't even have his TO picked look bad right now.
    word.....................

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was on this train before it left the station. Cojo is the second best pg no doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's the thing. People keep referencing that Neal keeps getting the nod in the playoffs but sometimes he might be playing the 2 while Manu is running point. Obviously Neal shouldn't see a minute without Tony or Manu in the game but playing him next to Manu might need to stop as well and he isn't really running the pg spot at that point.

Pop isn't really going back to Neal at PG in the playoffs like some say but he's going back to letting Manu play that role. If you are against that then your stance should be for CoJo to take virtually all of Neal's minutes and let Manu strictly play the 2 guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw this kid play in-person last year against Houston in the pre-season. He was as raw as can be, but he played aggresively with that "moxie." He knew none of the plays and couldn't shoot the ball, but he just made plays happen on the court.

I always thought the kid had the potential to be good if he worked hard, and I'm glad he's making good on it.
    P.S. This was the same game where Kawhi hit a step-back 20ft jumpshot at the buzzer to win. I knew then the Spurs had a cold-blooded stud on their hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We stacked?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's the thing. People keep referencing that Neal keeps getting the nod in the playoffs but sometimes he might be playing the 2 while Manu is running point. Obviously Neal shouldn't see a minute without Tony or Manu in the game but playing him next to Manu might need to stop as well and he isn't really running the pg spot at that point.

Pop isn't really going back to Neal at PG in the playoffs like some say but he's going back to letting Manu play that role. If you are against that then your stance should be for CoJo to take virtually all of Neal's minutes and let Manu strictly play the 2 guard.
    This. Neal is down right now, but he is still the best pure shooter in this team (Maybe between him and Bonner, but Bonner had been given enough chance). He is valuable to this team, and it's just that you can let him handle the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2011 draft was underrated by scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not for totally benching Neal at this point. I'm not saying I wont take that stance in the future but the guy has proven he can hit big shots over and over again. I definitely do not want him handling the ball, but like I said earlier, in the playoffs when him and Manu are out there he isn't really running the point anyway. I am for Joseph getting pretty much all of Mills + De Colo's minutes at this point though. I think the Spurs should give Gary some minutes but let him play the 2 guard where he is comfortable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not as completely sold on him offensively as timvp just yet but defensively he is absolutely light years ahead of Mills, De Colo or Neal and his ability to pass the ball is far ahead of Mills and Neal as well. He is an intriguing prospect that's for sure, I think there is room for him in the playoff rotation, particularly when the Spurs are playing with the lead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree that CoJo looked really solid out there tonight.

I wonder why Pop waited until so late in the season to bring him in for a real run?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool story.

timvp - the only thing that matters is do you really believe CJ has a shot even if he plays well to be the de facto BUPG? Look at all the evidence from the season, the multiple guys having good games only to lose time to Neal.
    I'd say Neal has the inside track for the spot right now but it's far from set in stone. In recent weeks, Pop has been going out of his way to not play Neal at PG. I don't even remember the last game when Neal was the backup PG, tbh.

CJ has a few things going for him in the challenge of winning Pop over:

1. If Pop is going to really stress D, CJ has to have a big advantage -- especially over Neal.

2. He can shoot. CJ hit damn near 50% of his threes with the Toros. If he keeps knocking 'em down, it makes less sense to go with Neal (or Mills) for scoring purposes.

3. He's not much of a risk-taker on offense. Dumb turnovers by the backup point guard is one of Pop's pet peeves.

I'm still worried that he's soft, based on previous PT
    If by "previous" you mean last season, I think we can just erase that year from our memory. He certainly didn't gain any toughness growing up in Canada. Then, I'm not even sure they teach basketball at UT (has a player ever improved under Barnes?). He didn't have a summer league or a training camp due to the lockout. Add it up and he was one of the greenest rookies I've ever seen.

But he's been on a crash course since the end of his rookie season and he has taken mammoth steps. He's not even comparable to the player he was as a rookie, tbh. , by summer league he was a totally different player. By now he might as well be given a new name, fwiw.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the tenacity and effort that Cojo plays with. Even though all players go through playing shooting slumps if the defensive effort and tenacity keep up it is still worth having that player on the court. The West is filled with great point guards and on the Spurs to me Cojo seems like the best defensively. Even though I hate seeing Parker out it could help the Spurs find out who their definitive point guard is. So far after one game Cojo looked the best.

Thread Information