Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Who wants a mustache ride oligarchy's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hughes and Liddell are the 2 most over-rated champions of all time

Chuck made his name beating up non-strikers...

Hughes has been passed by bigger, more well-rounded WW's. I think Okami would be too much for him...big/strong enough to negate Hughes' strengths...
    Not sure I agree with that. Who's bigger than Hughes at WW? GSP is more well rounded, and BJ Penn is more well rounded, but who else as WW would take it from him? If Hughes was a much better striker, he would be great. And I say that Hughes can do well at MW. I just think it would dumb for him to move up.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Hughes and Liddell are the 2 most over-rated champions of all time

Chuck made his name beating up non-strikers...
    your right but 2 of those wins are against randy and thats pretty good if you ask me, the other fights were just for his highlight reel

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not sure I agree with that. Who's bigger than Hughes at WW? GSP is more well rounded, and BJ Penn is more well rounded, but who else as WW would take it from him? If Hughes was a much better striker, he would be great. And I say that Hughes can do well at MW. I just think it would dumb for him to move up.
    GSP & Fitch are bigger...

I think Fitch can beat Hughes right now...I was actually hoping he'd replace Serra.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    your right but 2 of those wins are against randy and thats pretty good if you ask me, the other fights were just for his highlight reel
    so maybe Randy is a tad over-rated too? Especially at LHW...

Beating up an injured, mediocre Tim Sylvia and getting the benefit of a fluke broken nose in the Gonzaga fight, which had a HUGE impact. I think Randy is great, but I think he might be over-rated...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GSP & Fitch are bigger...

I think Fitch can beat Hughes right now...I was actually hoping he'd replace Serra.
    Bigger how? GSP has stated that he cuts from 185-187 to 170. Hughes has stated that he cuts from 192-195. GSP says he cuts no more than 7-8lbs of water weight the week of the fight, Hughes says no more than 10. Fitch, also said he walks around at 185. I'm sure he just cuts water weight the last week.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    GSP & Fitch just seem bigger to me...

What a guy cuts from can vary...is that their weight when training for a fight, not training for a specific fight but in decent shape, or between fights in vacation mode...who knows.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is 195 lbs in any sort of fighting shape...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GSP & Fitch just seem bigger to me...

What a guy cuts from can vary...is that their weight when training for a fight, not training for a specific fight but in decent shape, or between fights in vacation mode...who knows.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is 195 lbs in any sort of fighting shape...
    http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog/ask-matt-archive/

He states that a month before his fight with Royce, he was 192

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ok...that fight was also at 175 lbs...

Fitch and GSP still look bigger to me

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    gsp by tko in the first round

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    GSP sparring with the current reigning and defending WBA Light Middleweight Champion Joachim Alcine
    http://www.jarrypark.com/2007/11/29/vas-y-gsp/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    umm idk about this one. hughes is alot stronger and is a better wrestler in my opinion. if hughes can clinch up and use that strength, it could get nasty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    umm idk about this one. hughes is alot stronger and is a better wrestler in my opinion. if hughes can clinch up and use that strength, it could get nasty.
    I disagree, in the rematch Hughes had his takedown attempts stuffed with ease by GSP. In GSP's last fight he outwrestled, Josh Koscheck, who many feel is the best wrestler in WW division in the UFC, at least until he got bested by GSP.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I disagree, in the rematch Hughes had his takedown attempts stuffed with ease by GSP. In GSP's last fight he outwrestled, Josh Koscheck, who many feel is the best wrestler in WW division in the UFC, at least until he got bested by GSP.
    GSP got in Hughes's head. Matt should have stuck to his gameplan. GSP kept nagging hughes and saying Matt couldn't stand with him so matt tried to throw hands and got picked apart until he finally shot in from way to far out and got that head kick. I think Hughes will stick to his gameplan and this fight will be a lot dfferent from the second time. Im picking GSP but Hughes has a a good shot in this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GSP got in Hughes's head. Matt should have stuck to his gameplan. GSP kept nagging hughes and saying Matt couldn't stand with him so matt tried to throw hands and got picked apart until he finally shot in from way to far out and got that head kick. I think Hughes will stick to his gameplan and this fight will be a lot dfferent from the second time. Im picking GSP but Hughes has a a good shot in this one.
    Matt is way too much of a pro and has way too much experience to allow anyone to get into his head. Especially a fighter that he beat once before. I don't remember a bunch of trash talk from GSP about Matt not being able to stand with him anyway. GSP is not really a trash talker. Matt got in there and tried to throw his shots mainly his jab and some rights to set up the takedown. Problem was GSP was badly outstriking him with, kicks and punches so Matt got desperate and started to telegragh his takedowns and they were stuffed with ease by GSP. I see this fight being much of the same. GSP outstrikes Hughes badly, Hughes goes for takedowns, GSP stuffs them and KO's Hughes, i say 2nd RD again.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "I am not impressed with your performance"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I am not impressed with your performance"
    He said one thing and then took it back 2 min later.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    He said one thing and then took it back 2 min later.
    and he only said it because hughes said something very similar to gsp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and he only said it because hughes said something very similar to gsp
    That's right and Hughes had a lot more to say about GSP then GSP did about Matt. Saying how he was "Too young to be champ, not experienced enough", that he had not improved enough to beat him since the first fight. I am sure Hughes is going to say that "He was not mentally ready to fight GSP last time, that he took him lightly" or some nonsense in promotion of this rubber match.

Thread Information