Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    , that's embarrassing

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Really proud of the Auburn faithful for showing up for the spring game the way they did. 83,000

Partly it was to show support for the new regime as well as the players, and rightly so, but the other significant event was a proper sending off of the Toomer's trees.

They're going to use acorns from the originals to plant the new ones. Incredibly sad to see them go. Wish I could have attended, but i've got plenty of great memories to fall back on. WDE

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Very cool.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    1st round #NFLDraft picks by conference
    SEC (12)
    ACC (6)
    Pac-12 (5)
    Big 12 (3)
    Independent (2)
    MAC (1)
    C-USA (1)
    Big East (1)
    Big 10 (1)

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Draft Picks 1st 3 Rounds:
    SEC West (17)
    SEC East (15)
    ACC (12)
    Pac-12 (11)
    Big 10 (7)

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    ^

No surprise

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Can we all assume that had A&M stayed in the big 12 that they would have played in the le game with a good chance to win it?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Can we all assume that had A&M stayed in the big 12 that they would have played in the le game with a good chance to win it?
    big12 thread

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    A&M is in the SEC.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    lol murphy holloway getting a shot with the Ravens

I wonder if he can only catch the football with his left hand too.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    I think ESPN will do a good job with it.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...551?rss_lnk=92

The Southeastern Conference just won its seventh consecutive national championship, just had a record 63 players selected in the NFL Draft (more than twice as many as any other league) and just signed a blockbuster 20-year deal with ESPN to create a network that will pay SEC schools more money than Boone Pickens can shake a windmill at.

But Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Monday during a Sooner Caravan stop in Tulsa that he's not worried.

Big 12 Conference schools and others around the nation don't have to close some mythical gap.

"Well, it depends on what gap you're talking about," Stoops said. "What are the bottom six doing?"

That's a fair point.

Four of those bottom six did so poorly last year that their coaches got fired. The year before, two SEC coaches were canned. The year before that, it was three.

The only new coach in the Big 12 this season is at Texas Tech, where it seems Tommy Tuberville found himself a better fit in Cincinnati.

As far as that bloated NFL Draft number - one-quarter of the total players drafted last week were from the SEC - it's much the same way: 46 of the 63 came from the top half of the league. The other seven schools produced just 17 draft picks.

Stoops is right about one thing: the bottom of the SEC is no great place to be.

"So they've had the best team in college football," Stoops said. "They haven't had the whole conference. Because, again, half of 'em haven't done much at all. I'm just asking you. You tell me."

The problem for the have-nots is not that Alabama has won three of the last four national championships. It's that, since 2006, Florida has won two and LSU has won one and Auburn has won one. That's four schools winning seven national les.

It creates an aura of "Who's next?"

And maybe the biggest problem of all is that, for the foreseeable future, is that the top SEC schools will always get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of pollsters or computers or the College Football Playoff selection committee because of the widely accepted perception that the SEC is America's Best Conference.

Powerhouse LSU only beat Ole Miss by six points? Well, that's because Ole Miss is in the SEC. That makes them great. Sure, they had to win a bowl game just to finish above .500, but that's because they're in the SEC and, well, the rest of the SEC is just a little bit greater this year.

And pay no mind to the inconvenient fact that Ole Miss was plowed at The Grove by some team from Texas - oh, wait, it WAS Texas, the fifth- or sixth-best team in the Big 12 Conference last year. Yeah, best ignore that one.

And conference runner-up Georgia only beat Kentucky by five points? Well, that's because Kentucky is in the SEC, and, by gosh if you don't already know this one, that makes them pretty great, too. They didn't have a winning record, either - OK, they went 2-10, which included 0-8 against the SEC - but hey, it's the SEC.

And please don't look over there where it says Kentucky was routed by cross-state rival Louisville. Or the one where it says the Wildcats lost in overtime to I-AA Western Kentucky.

Surely, Stoops' point is clear now.

"It depends on who you want to listen to," Stoops said. "Listen, they've had the best team in college football, meaning they've won the national championship. That doesn't mean everything else is always the best."

Really, there is no more debate that the SEC is college football's King Kong. It is. But while the natives may blindly worship their giant ape, not every school is a 40-foot gorilla with its own island.

The SEC has had some amazing good fortune during its seven-year conquest.

In 2006, Florida jumped Michigan for the No. 2 spot in the BCS le game after voters decided against an Ohio State-Michigan rematch.

In 2007, two-loss LSU jumped five spots after No. 2 West Virginia was upset by rival Pittsburgh and No. 1 Missouri was trounced by Oklahoma.

In 2008, Tim Tebow's "Braveheart" speech captured voters' imagination after an inexplicable midseason loss to Ole Miss.

In 2010, well, Auburn had Cam Newton.

The gap, Stoops believes, is not as wide as everyone thinks.

"So you're listening to a lot of propaganda that gets fed out to you," he said. "You're more than smart enough to figure it out. Again, you can look at the top two, three, four, five, six teams, and you can look at the bottom six, seven, eight, whatever they are. How well are they all doing?

"What'd we (the Big 12) have, eight of 10 teams in bowl games this year? Again, you figure it all out."

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...ec-you-tell-us

Maybe we should look at some important criteria to determine which conference is superior. Should we? You tell me.

Johnny Manziel

The Heisman winner began his career in the Big 12 in 2011. He was redshirted. You redshirt someone when he’s not good enough to play for you. So Johnny Manziel was not good enough to play in the Big 12.

Then Texas A&M moves to the SEC, and Manziel suddenly suits up and torches the entire conference – including national “champion” Alabama. Manziel wasn’t good enough to play in the Big 12 … yet will go down as one of the greatest players in SEC history. What does that tell you? I’m just asking you. I don’t know. You figure it all out.

NFL quarterbacks

Is starting quarterback in the NFL an important job? I don’t know. You tell me. I hear that it is, but you figure it out. Well, if it is, a full quarter of the presumed 2013 starting quarterbacks in the NFL played in the Big 12 or for schools that joined the Big 12: Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Andy Dalton, Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, Robert Griffin III, Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford. That seems like a lot. Is it a lot? I’m just asking you.

Meanwhile, only five starting quarterbacks in the NFL are from the SEC. Is eight more than five? I feel like it is, but you tell me. You’re smart enough to figure it out.

Scoring

The Big 12 had four of the Top 10 highest scoring BCS teams in the nation last season. Is it possible to win a football game without scoring? Has a football game ever been won by the score of 0 to minus-1? You tell me. I’m just asking you.

Recruiting

Texas currently has the highest-rated 2014 recruiting class in ESPN’s rankings. Is it good to get the best class of recruits? Does it suggest that a conference is good when a team that went just 5-4 in-conference can reel in the best class in the nation? You tell me.

Draft picks

Three of the first eight picks in the NFL Draft either played the majority of their career in the Big 12 or finished their collegiate career in the Big 12: Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson and Tavon Austin. No other conference boasted more than two such players. Is that good? I can’t be the one to say. You figure it all out.

Kentucky

The Wildcats were the worst team among all the bottom-feeders in the SEC last season at 2-10 (0-8). After the season they hired someone to turn the program around. They hired Mark Stoops. Is Mark Stoops the brother of Bob Stoops? I’m just asking you. Again, you figure it all out.

Conference realignment

Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M all left the Big 12 conference in recent years. The last time any of those schools won a Big 12 le was in 2001. Does that suggest they left because they couldn’t handle the level of compe ion in the Big 12? This is just a random question I’m throwing out there. You tell me.

S-E-C! chant

SEC fans chant the name of their conference all the time, whereas Big 12 fans have no such chant. Even the traditional also-rans that haven’t won a BCS le chant “S-E-C!” Does it seem like SEC pride is a desperate attempt to overcompensate for something? Like a guy going through a mid-life crisis buying a sports car? What else could it really be? I’m asking you. Could it be that I’m simply out of random information to cherry-pick to suggest the Big 12 is better than the SEC at football? You’re smart enough to figure it out. You figure it all out.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    :hint

ESPN dude is trolling hard

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Dustin Harris signed with the Cowboys.

Post Count
    So A&M shares a network and doesn't have its own?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    So A&M shares a network and doesn't have its own?
    Yeah and each ins ution in the SEC is projected to bring in around 35M per season because of it.

Last fall, we quoted an industry source with in-depth knowledge of media rights contracts who predicted SEC teams would receive between $30 and $35 million dollars once the league renegotiated its new deals with CBS and ESPN, launched its own network, kicked off the new Sugar (Champions) Bowl, and began collecting revenue from college football’s new playoffs. We wrote the same thing again last month when Mike Slive spoke briefly of the SEC’s television plans.

Now, a USA Today Sports analysis shows that SEC schools are indeed in line to earn about — wait for it — $34 million per season beginning in 2014-15.

The LHN network brought Texas close to 8M last season.

So in July 2011-2012, the Longhorn Network was supposed to bring in a projected $10.9 million. However, this first year payment was prorated based upon the actual launch date of the network in late August of 2011, compared to July 1st, 2011. So in reality, the network brought in $9.2 million to be split between 3rd tier rights partner IMG and the University of Texas. Once IMG collects its 14% share, the University is left with $7.9 million for the first year.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The deal is 20 years/$300 million.

The LHN brings UT $15 million a year.

lol SEC messageboards

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    big XII thread

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Rofl ^

Post Count
    Yeah and each ins ution in the SEC is projected to bring in around 35M per season because of it.

The LHN network brought Texas close to 8M last season.
    Apples and Oranges. You're comparing the TOTAL payday (maybe...) to Texas' LHN payday which doesn't include its other tv deals.

Thread Information