Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it IS Travis County.

Should be interesting. FWIW that was drunk on her ass and was driving from grass to grass when they arrested her.
    Well, thats not worth anything. She pleaded guilty to drunk driving and admitted as much. That has nothing to do with Perry breaking the law.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You aren't going to see me defend Obama on this, but you see how its the same thing. Political theater turned back in on itself.
    yea i know i was just saying.

Could the DA have been fired in some way? Was she elected to the position and able to be recalled? If so Perry should have supportd something like that instead of doing what he did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea i know i was just saying.

Could the DA have been fired in some way? Was she elected to the position and able to be recalled? If so Perry should have supportd something like that instead of doing what he did.
    None of that matters. None.

Perry shouldn't have done what he did. Thats the only thing that matters here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of that matters. None.

Perry shouldn't have done what he did. Thats the only thing that matters here.
    I just said he should have done something different.

That doesn't change the fact that she shouldn't have that job anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just a huge conflict of interest, even if Perry's action was under the guise of a noble act. That's the office that's supposed to investigate the State.

He should've just veto'ed the funding without the treat. Just a bad move.

The woman ed up and she did her time in jail. Somehow, I don't think Perry will face the same fate.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i prefer the older law and order shows to the new SVU and criminal intent ones though. olivia is a dime when she's in uniform though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Public Integrity Unit lost the DeLay case on appeal, but not before ruining his political career. in this case, I tend to doubt liberal, Travis County officialdom will do so well. might even backfire.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "guise of a noble act"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of liberals are calling this idictment bull or at least "sketchy" and "very thin"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Suing Obama, Indicted Rick Perry Now Believes Political Disputes Don’t Belong in Court

On Fox News Sunday, Perry was making excuses after being indicted for abuse of power. The Texas governor said, “This is way outside the norm. This is not the way that we settle differences, political differences in this country. You don’t do it with indictments. We settle our political differences at the ballot box.”

It is funny that Perry would say this because in 2012, he supported a lawsuit that sued the Obama administration over contraception being included in the ACA. Perry praised suing President Obama over a very political dispute, “As is becoming all too predictable, the Obama Administration is continuing its unprecedented and uncons utional intrusion into every facet of American life, this time mandating that our religious ins utions violate their own beliefs. It has to stop. I commend General Abbott for taking this much-needed action, part of an ongoing battle over our right to practice our faiths, and live our lives, without Washington interference.” The contraception lawsuit from the states was later thrown out of court due to a lack of standing.

The hypocrisy is unbelievable, because Gov. Perry was indicted for abusing the power of his office while trying to get another elected official to resign. Perry is correct this is something that should have been resolved at the ballot box. The Travis County DA had already announced that she would not be running for reelection.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/08/...iticus+USA+%29

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    civil criminal

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This has about a 3% chance of success.....but that likely wasnt the point. lol TX Dems...still bringing strong words to a gunfight.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. The perils of autocratic leadership styles. I wonder why someone didn't tell him that he might get in trouble.
    GW Bush assured him it was okay.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It Will Be Hard to Dismiss Prosecution as Partisan Witch Hunt:

There is long-standing animosity between the Travis County district attorney’s office and the Republicans who rule the Texas Capitol. There have been plenty of failed attempts over the years to move the investigative power out of that office and into an agency such as the Texas attorney general’s office, which has been under Republican control for some 15 years.

Naturally, Perry and his fellow Republicans are calling the indictments against Perry the result of a partisan investigation by an office controlled by Democrats — the same office that prosecuted former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Republican, later acquitted on appeal.

But Lehmberg and other Travis County officials recused themselves from the case and are not prosecuting it. One year ago a Republican judge from Bexar County, Bert Richardson, appointed a special prosecutor, Michael McCrum, to handle the prosecution.

McCrum
    , a criminal defense attorney in San Antonio, is a former Dallas police officer who began his career as a federal prosecutor during the George H.W. Bush administration, according to his online bio. In 2009, the state's two Republican U.S. senators, John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison, recommended him to become U.S. attorney for the Western District, according to published reports.

He was described as a “consensus choice” by the news site Main Justice because he had the backing of House Democrats and the two home state senators. He ultimately withdrew his name because of gridlock over nominations on Capitol Hill.

McCrum’s bipartisan credentials makes criticizing the investigation as a partisan witch hunt a tougher sell.

Prosecuting Public Corruption is Easier Said Than Done
    :

The old adage is prosecutors have so much sway they can “indict a ham sandwich.” Getting a conviction is another story.

The charges in this case are abuse of official capacity, a first-degree felony, and coercion of a public servant, a third-degree felony.

In a report in the Austin American-Statesman, legal experts said prosecutors would have a tough time making both charges stick. Two key points stand out in particular:

For the first count, the statute requires that prosecutors show Perry “intentionally or knowingly” abused his office and that he acted with “intent to harm,” both relatively high bars.

And in the second charge, Perry can cite an exception in the criminal statute, which exempts “an official action” taken by “a member of the governing body of a governmental en y.”

Democrats suggest Perry had an ulterior motive — namely, to stop the public integrity unit’s inquiry into state cancer grants amid allegations that some were being improperly awarded to his donors.

But Perry says he was trying to stop state dollars from flowing into an agency that had “lost the public’s confidence.”

“I wholeheartedly and unequivocally stand behind my veto, and will continue to defend this lawful action of my executive authority as governor,” he said.

This is Terrible Timing for Perry:

Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, was considered all but washed up after his once promising presidential campaign imploded on a presidential debate stage, when he couldn't remember that third federal department he wanted to shutter.

But Perry was making a methodical comeback, with positive reviews in the media, a new chief strategist and a border crisis that seemed tailor-made for a Texas governor who had turned off conservatives in 2011 with his embrace of college tuition breaks for certain undo ented immigrants. His 2016 star was rising.

Now he has a big distraction. Yes, fellow Republicans — including Ted Cruz and Bobby Jindal — have rushed to his defense. Yes, Perry can use the controversy to criticize Democrats for partisan overreach and possibly even raise money.

But next week, Perry is expected to turn himself in at the Travis County courthouse, have his mug shot taken and get fingerprinted.

Meanwhile, Texas taxpayers are picking up the cost of his $450-an-hour lawyer, leaving him open to criticism as the bills keep rolling in. And Democrats are already using the indictment to tar Perry and other potential GOP presidential hopefuls with legal woes, namely New Jersey Chris Christie, embroiled in Bridgegate, and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who is facing questions about his campaign finance activities.

"I guess the requirement now to be a Republican presidential contender is either an indictment or a pending indictment," said Will Hailer, executive director of the Texas Democratic Party.

Perry has plenty of answers to explain his actions, but what he really needs is to put this behind him way before any voting takes place in the 2016 race, assuming he joins it. As they say in politics, when you're explaining, you're losing.

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/...ry-indictment/

yep, RickyBobby's slimey-TX-Repug echo chamber + plus his egomania make him first class Pres material.

the cancer project surely stinks like typical TX bull , transfer of taxpayer dollars to Repug contributors.

will he wear his Dedicated-Follower-of-Fashion vanity glasses for his mug shot?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tug of War Between Republicans Seeking Same Base Support

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/us/tug-of-war-between-republicans-gov-rick-perry-and-sen-ted-cruz-seeking-same-base-support.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

TX Repugs vomiting two more ing losers onto the national stage.

Barton, Gohmert, RickyBobby, DeLay, Cruz, shrub-for-brains dubya, etc, etc. What a bunch of assholes. Thanks, TX Repug voters!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure and it well could end up in federal court. So how do you feel about Obama's use of executive orders?
    God you are stupid.

The governor of Texas has a LINE ITEM VETO.

The President doesn't.

Get over it, . Even hard core national democrats are running from this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fat drunk unit is also investigating a conflict of interest case involving Perry.
    If you want to stop the funding just stop it.
    If you want the fat drunk to leave ask her to leave.
    Problem, all of the above got tied together.

Perry is a dumbass for setting himself up. You can't use the threat of a veto to force a fat drunk (elected official) who is investigating you to leave. It maybe very difficult to tie together, but Perry has constantly over stepped, so once again he set himself up for this to even get to a grand jury. It is Austin, they have pulled some stranger stunts before, so he does not recognize this ?

The list of crazy ass things he has tried to pull, the vaccine he tried to shove thru, to screwing with UT, is just ridiculous. He should just keep to his business friendly Texas theme... And he is going to run for president again, seriously...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fat drunk unit is also investigating a conflict of interest case involving Perry.
    Ex-official indicted over $11 million Texas cancer-fund grant

A former high-ranking official of Texas’ cancer-fighting agency has been indicted in connection with an improperly awarded $11 million grant to a Dallas-based biotechnology firm, prosecutors announced Friday.

Jerald “Jerry” Cobbs, 62, is accused of deceiving officials of the Cancer Prevention and Research Ins ute of Texas when he failed to disclose that a grant to Peloton Therapeutics did not undergo a required business or scientific review.

The indictment by a Travis County grand jury is another blow for the reputation of CPRIT, which since spring 2012 has been embroiled in controversies over how it has awarded grants.

In 2007, voters approved creation of the agency to distribute up to $3 billion for cancer research and prevention. It was once considered a signature accomplishment for Gov. Rick Perry, who championed its birth. At the time, only the National Cancer Ins ute was a larger source for such research.

Cobbs’ indictment comes a year after the Travis County district attorney’s Public Integrity Unit opened a wide-ranging criminal investigation into CPRIT. Prosecutors said their CPRIT investigation is now over, and they don’t expect any other charges.

Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg said Cobbs, as CPRIT’s chief commercialization officer, deliberately failed to disclose to the agency’s executive director and general counsel that the Peloton grant hadn’t been vetted by the proper committees as state law required.

Peloton, which is using laboratory discoveries at UT Southwestern Medical Center to try to develop new anti-cancer drugs, was awarded the grant. No charges were considered against anyone connected to Peloton, said Rob Drummond, an assistant district attorney.

Cobbs turned himself in Friday and was released on an $85,000 bond. He and his attorney didn’t return calls seeking comment.

State law prohibits a person from fraudulently causing another person to sign a do ent affecting a financial interest. The charge of “securing execution of a do ent by deception” is a first-degree felony punishable by from five to 99 years in prison.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...fund-grant.ece

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither Lehmberg nor Perry should keep their jobs after all this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither Lehmberg nor Perry should keep their jobs after all this.
    Well, Perry is resigning at the end of his term.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Perry is resigning at the end of his term.
    Not because of this. Don't be disingenuous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God you are stupid.

The governor of Texas has a LINE ITEM VETO.

The President doesn't.

Get over it, . Even hard core national democrats are running from this one.
    It isn't the veto itself that got him in trouble and that is illegal.

It is tying it to the quid pro quo threat. "either do X, or I will kill your budget with my veto"

The ultimate issue is whether you want your governor going around publicly using this veto to pressure public officials into doing things or issuing orders that only the legislature can and should.

What if he had threatened to do the same thing to a public official that was investigating him for bribery?

The public has an interest in this, and that is to make sure that people at the top are held accountable.

Perry wants this spun as "its partisan", since that plays well to his base. Don't buy it, because once you delve into the particulars of what is being alleged, the issue is a lot clearer. You are smarter than that. And yes, she should have resigned and did act like an ass.

Don't take my word for it, do some reading on the specifics. If you like, I can provide you some links.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This has about a 3% chance of success.....but that likely wasnt the point. lol TX Dems...still bringing strong words to a gunfight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Civil litigation in Texas is a mire of corruption. I won't dispute that. Anyone who succeeds in it should have their credibility questioned along those lines.

Abuse of executive power does have legs especially within the populists. Cons utionally the governors office is not supposed to have that power. That she should be canned is besides the point.
    That's cute.

Thread Information