View Poll Results: If Kawhi does not return this season, should the Spurs offer him the Super-Max?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 51.52%
  • No

48 48.48%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still am not clear why he has not played at all this season? This is one of the strangest stories I have ever heard or seen in all my years watching the NBA. When you need surgery, you get the surgery and there is a timeline for rehabilitation. If you don’t need surgery you rehab and there is again a timeline. He has never had surgery, has been rehabbing and according to reports is told he can play but he just doesn’t want to. I have never heard of anything like that in my life.
    I am not clear either. In fact it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen as a Spurs fan (and I have been a fan since the the Spring of 1997), but at the same time, if they were shutting down trade offers, that tells me they still have Kawhi in their long term plans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not clear either. In fact it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen as a Spurs fan (and I have been a fan since the the Spring of 1997), but at the same time, if they were shutting down trade offers, that tells me they still have Kawhi in their long term plans.
    And the idea that the Spurs somehow mishandled this or misdiagnosed him? That is complete nonsense. Like they don’t have expert doctors looking at his quad to let him know what is going on. So he needs like five other opinions in New York to find out what is going on they are missing? That’s ridiculous. He has not been misdiagnosed. He has been told apparently more than once that he is healthy enough to play. This whole thing is so weird.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he doesn’t have the for ude to shoulder a team. Maybe some of the signings by PATFO have been questionable and im pretty sure after a few adult conversations they could have figured something out but at the end of the day the guy has been out for almost a year and people have given him the benefit of the doubt to recover from a mysterious injury. Where does he come in and share that responsibility and just flat out say that he doesn’t want to play here anymore? This whole situation has made writen all over it. By the way im giving away a spurs number 2 jersey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna have to play wait and see up through training camp. If the condition hasn't improved (according to him), no way you do it.

I think he's not comfortable with playing now since he knows his next big contract is coming up and he's not willing to gamble with his health so late this season.

If he's ready to go next season, I think he and the Spurs iron it out.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kiwi being out is not good, but y'all have the toughest schedule to close out the season:

Him being out is compounded based on your remaining strength of schedule. If ya'll don't do well to close out the season as a result of his absence, that's quite a negotiating chip for him come contract time if you ask me. Pay him the max or trade him bakck home... to the Lakers!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, with the assumption that Kawhi can return healthy and wants to be a Spur.

Both of which seem very nebulous at this point, but the worst thing the Spurs could do is low-ball him, force him out, and then become an MVP for another team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this in other threads but the Blake trade showed me you can unload a supermax on an injury-plagued player if need be. There's always a buyer. It's less risky then seeing him walk for nothing. But then the Holts muight have a different view.
    There's away less teams with enough flexibility/willing to compromise their cap now than before though...
    Plus Blake does sell tickets...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, with the assumption that Kawhi can return healthy and wants to be a Spur.

Both of which seem very nebulous at this point, but the worst thing the Spurs could do is low-ball him, force him out, and then become an MVP for another team.
    This about says it all. If we ‘ready, willing, and able’ you offer it. It’s a lot of money to leave on the table. The ball will be in his court. Starting to doubt he wants to lose all that money from a team that believes in him, but he’s got to be able to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the ultimate gamble for the spurs to offer the super-max with the current injury concerns but the alternative is not offering it and letting Leonard walk after next season or trying to trade him for assets.

I vote for offering it to him and not risking him leaving for the lakers or the Clippers after next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is no guarantee they can offer him the supermax the following year (summer of 2019) unless Kawhi is All NBA again or wins MVP or DPOY next year. So, Kawhi will want it while he still 100% qualifies this summer

Summer will be interesting. Could be a relief. Could be tragic. But it will be interesting.
    He's already qualified by winning DVOY and was all NBA the past two seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should they? Not really. Will they? Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no doubt...wtf

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. You dont pay supermax to someone with no balls

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say yes, only because, you have to take this risk to stave off the dark ages a little longer. Could easily blow up in our faces though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say yes, only because, you have to take this risk to stave off the dark ages a little longer. Could easily blow up in our faces though.
    Even if it does, it'll still have been well worth it.

Still think most people either don't appreciate or altogether understand how difficult it is to even have the makings of a contender in this league. If your team doesn't start with a superstar (I've got 9 currently and even some of them couldn't be the best player on a championship team), you're immediately disqualified.

This franchise has lucked into having that for the better part of 3 decades, but that luck is long overdue to run out. Chances are, like many franchises, they're not getting another one for a bunch of generations.

They need to do everything in their power to retain the one they have and maximize his window and if he turns into the next Rose, at least they'll have chased greatness as opposed to relegating themselves to irrelevance in perpetuity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But on top of the relationship souring, I am more inclined to believe than others are that he’s possibly got some career altering injury and he’s never going to get right or be worth it. That’s some pessimistic take but I don’t see him in this state being worth it.
    This about says it all. If we ‘ready, willing, and able’ you offer it. It’s a lot of money to leave on the table. The ball will be in his court. Starting to doubt he wants to lose all that money from a team that believes in him, but he’s got to be able to play.
    Don't get this. If Spurs doctors cleared him to play it's because they think his injury doesn't have long-term issues.

I understand if Kawhi feels something is still wrong, like Shannon said today about his shoulder and why he opted not to play, doctors can say there isn't structural damage which is great but the player still can feel there are some little malfuctions.

But again, the Spurs doctors were clear there isn't structural damage, it means it's not degenerative. Otherwise, they should have seen the changes and damage in the 6 years Kawhi is in SA.

The Spurs believe it's not a career altering -they shouldn't say he can play if they think the opposite- why not to give the supermax to a top 3-5 player?

After they cleared him to play, the Spurs can't use the same injury as excuse to refuse to give him the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get this. If Spurs doctors cleared him to play it's because they think his injury doesn't have long-term issues.

I understand if Kawhi feels something is still wrong, like Shannon said today about his shoulder and why he opted not to play, doctors can say there isn't structural damage which is great but the player still can feel there are some little malfuctions.

But again, the Spurs doctors were clear there isn't structural damage, it means it's not degenerative. Otherwise, they should have seen the changes and damage in the 6 years Kawhi is in SA.

The Spurs believe it's not a career altering -they shouldn't say he can play if they think the opposite- why not to give the supermax to a top 3-5 player?

After they cleared him to play, the Spurs can't use the same injury as excuse to refuse to give him the deal.
    Good point. Very tricky tightrope walk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are in a unique position of power here, Leonard has very little power in the negotiations. We will almost certainly offer him the Super Max extension but Leonard is going to be forced to take the deal unless he is 100% deadset on leaving. In terms of retaining Leonard, this injury nearly guarantees we will keep him imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi does not return this season, should the Spurs offer him the Super-Max this summer?

Yes or No. Please post reasons below.
    Good thread subject, but simply not enough accurate info for me to vote at this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either Kawhi can play but won't or he has a legit mystery injury that will have kept him virtually out of action for 13-14 months by the time the offer could be made. I wouldn't invest a supermax in either case. I like any one of Chinook's trade options better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are in a unique position of power here, Leonard has very little power in the negotiations. We will almost certainly offer him the Super Max extension but Leonard is going to be forced to take the deal unless he is 100% deadset on leaving. In terms of retaining Leonard, this injury nearly guarantees we will keep him imo.
    If he wants to leave so bad he will leave that kind of money on the table....then what are ya gonna do!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he healthy including mentally. Yes .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he healthy including mentally. Yes .
    Lol. When you have to pray your best player returns to mentally ready.... trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give the supermax to Manu, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They absolutely can. If he’s not playing games, regardless of the diagnosis, then that is what matters. They can point to him not playing games, not the evaluation.

Thread Information