Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Manner of entry matters because illegals (whether entry or overstaying Visa) are destined to a life of "hiding" and working under the table. We need them to be part of the system.

Also border crossers (in Europe too) tend to be single males. Data illustrates areas with unbalanced male/female ratio have increased depression & crime.
    Don't forget chronic wasting disease. Oh wait, that's deer. I thought you were talking about animals, by the way you indicate they aren't as good as you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope so
    We have record crossings

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ^lol Snakebot with the massive *ding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead could existing US citizens, particularly Whites be encouraged to have more children?
    That's covered in the article, demographers don't think we can our way out of it. Cost of living is too high for zoomers and too much of the incentives are likely go to the people most able to afford it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Instead could existing US citizens, particularly Whites be encouraged to have more children?
    I wouldn't support the decision but banning abortions and restricting sales of contraceptives would help the numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While it's true that stealing (or buying) other countries low skilled labor has always been a positive for the development of this country historically, why do you believe that will remain the case given the rate of advancement in technology/automation?

As far as population rate, do you think it is possible to make up for the shortfall in birth rate by importing young adults from other countries? Why do you believe it is desirable to do so?
    Because it's the most expeditious way to do it.

Not sure I agree with the low skilled generalization, iirc, the mean level of education of central American immigrants is comparable to native Texans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I agree that central Americans are intrinisically less desirable and educable than other immigrants, why do you seem to think so, SB?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean sure, south Asians and Chinese tend to be more educated than native Estadounidenses, maybe you'd like to see more of them?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There is a balance between highly educated and actually setting roots in America. People escaping hardship are more likely to stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't support the decision but banning abortions and restricting sales of contraceptives would help the numbers.
    No it wouldn't. It would just make them more dangerous and unsafe, potentially risking health and lives of women.

What would help is the government offsetting major costs of having kids. Like government funded maternity and paternity leaves, government funded quality schooling, government funded healthcare for kids and their parents...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The narrative that Biden is lax on immigration is ridiculously overblown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would the caravans have been so scary if Trump hadn't permitted them to cross the border?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Operation Lonestar was an epic failure, and the Federal government needs to step in...

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it wouldn't. It would just make them more dangerous and unsafe, potentially risking health and lives of women.

What would help is the government offsetting major costs of having kids. Like government funded maternity and paternity leaves, government funded quality schooling, government funded healthcare for kids and their parents...
    Childcare is the most expensive thing since middle/working class families need both parents working to survive. My daughter is 18, but pre kinder childcare was $800/mo back then. Once she got into kinder, I moved into a role working 5am-2pm so I could pick her up after school and save a lot of money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being assholes to immigrants is bad for science and tech.

The United States may want to choke off vital supplies of hi-tech gear, especially advanced semiconductors, to China. But, thanks to a “red scare” about industrial espionage and intellectual property theft that has specifically targeted ethnic Chinese researchers, it is inadvertently repatriating scientific talent to the mainland on a massive scale.

It’s an influx of refugees all right, but with PhDs and other advanced degrees, and many even with tenures back in the US. Forget Beijing’s Thousand Talents Plan or Overseas High-Level Talent Recruitment Programmes. The US government is recruiting for China by creating a climate of fear among an ethnic group of researchers through selective prosecution, while casting hundreds under su ion and killing the careers of many.

In a new analysis of Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) data, the conservative Cato Ins ute found that in 2021, the US lost published research scientists to other countries, while China gained more than 2,408.

“This was a remarkable turnaround from as recently as 2017 when the United States picked up 4,292 scientists and China picked up just 116,” it said. “The rest of the OECD and China have both surpassed the United States for net inflow of scientific authors.”
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...ees-phds-china

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "This is the issue of the future, because this is going to become the first-order issue for all kinds of industries in America," Lant Pritchett, a development economist and RISE Research director at Oxford University's Blavatnik School of Government, told me. "They just won't be able to attract workers."

Politicians have suggested various ways to encourage people to have more children: "We will support baby bonuses for a new baby boom," former President Donald Trump said at a conference in March. But even if these policies went into effect, we'd still have to wait for those kids to grow up before they could enter the workforce. The labor imbalance is already here, and the economy needs more workers now. That's why a growing number of demographers, economists, and business executives support letting more immigrants into the US as a more immediate way to fill in the gaps. President Joe Biden's economic advisors even said in March that more legal immigration is needed to boost the economy. And while immigration is a politically touchy solution, the quickly aging US economy is running out of options to keep itself afloat.

"The only solution is more workers," Pritchett said.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/us-p...economy-2023-5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And there's already evidence that immigrants can help boost local economies — and transform entire cities. Immigrants are 80% more likely to start a business than people born in the US, and recent data shows that they've started more than 25% of businesses in seven of the eight fastest-growing sectors of the US economy. Because of that,research has found that immigrants actually create more jobs than they take. Plus, across the US, several key industries — including agriculture, meatpacking, manufacturing, and healthcare — depend on immigrant labor. And if we boost immigration rates, the incoming workers could help ease labor shortages in these critical fields.

From central Indiana to New York City, businesses are struggling because they can't hire enough workers to fill their open roles. "If we don't do this and have a positive conversation about immigration today, it will continue to crush Hoosier households and economy," Patrick Tamm, the president and CEO of the Indiana Restaurant and Lodging Association, told a local publication.

Take Utica, New York. The city's population declined from 100,410 people in 1960 to just over 60,500 in 2000. But instead of facing extinction, the postindustrial city's population slowly began rebounding in the 1990s with the arrival of Bosnian immigrants fleeing the Yugoslav Wars, who were followed by refugees from Myanmar in the 2000s and, more recently, Bantu refugees from Somalia. The city's relatively low cost of living has made it a hub for people fleeing conflicts around the world, who resettle with the help of refugee-aid organizations. Though the city's population still hovers around 60,000, it would be much lower if not for the resettled refugees and their families who now make up about 25% of Utica's population.

"The refugee population has helped the city's economy tremendously," Brian Thomas, the commissioner of Utica's Department of Urban and Economic Development, told CNBC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not against immigration but our current laws allow us to CHOOSE which immigrants we want. Opening immigration to whoever the can walk across the border is just dumb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not against immigration but our current laws allow us to CHOOSE which immigrants we want. Opening immigration to whoever the can walk across the border is just dumb.
    I disagree. I don't share your bias against central Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden doesn't think they're sending their best tbh... Ol' Racist Joe ass Biden.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they can walk across the border and say you quiero asylum and we can't do , based off law and treaty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is such a dramatic fraud

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That is such a dramatic fraud
    Still waiting for her outrage over migrants in "cages" under Sleepy Joe.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Still waiting for her outrage over migrants in "cages" under Sleepy Joe.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...licy-rcna67617

Womp womp

Thread Information