Page 21 of 162 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    DAF86:

Messi also moved to dismiss suggestions his FIFA Ballon d'Or triumph had caused issues with his team-mates.

Spain midfielders Xavi and Andres Iniesta had been tipped to win the award after securing the World Cup, but Messi - whose Argentina side went out at the quarter-final stage - came out on top in the voting.

"We know the relationship we have and how we get on," Messi said. "Everything's going to stay the same.

"I'm good with Andres, I'm good with Xavi. My relationship with both is very good and these awards are prizes for everyone - a trophy for the team."

Iniesta, speaking on the club's official website, stressed that he was "thrilled for Leo and happy to have been in the top three".

"We are really in the middle of a fantastic moment, both in terms of how we play and our results as well as on a personal level with the great atmosphere there is between us all in the squad," he said. "The individual awards are all down to the team as a whole."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ension?cc=5901

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Direct quote:

But now we got a nice performance? Make up your mind, and this isn't even the point, this is: we are speaking about the WC in terms of how it can hurt your overall year in the sport. Other than the world cup, it's undeniable that Messi had an unbelievable year. Irrefutable. Playing well, as opposed to playing amazing, somehow takes away all that much from his overall performance during 2010?
    I maintain what I said he didn't play well for what we can expect for this kind of player of course. I'm not comparing him to Henry, compared to Henry he played a fantastic world cup.

And for your last question YES it takes away that much from his overall performance during 2010. WC is THE compe ion by a million miles. This is how I see the things.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    I maintain what I said he didn't play well for what we can expect for this kind of player of course. I'm not comparing him to Henry, compared to Henry he played a fantastic world cup.

And for your last question YES it takes away that much from his overall performance during 2010. WC is THE compe ion by a million miles. This is how I see the things.
    Well I understand that traditionally they award to WC winners, but just because it's tradition doesn't mean it's necessarily always appropriate. I'm not saying Messi was the best choice, I'm simply stating that there's more elements that should be considered.

For your Henry argument:
    Messi played well for Argentina
    Iniesta, Xavi played well for Spain

these are not the same, it takes way more than playing well to take that Argentina squad to the WC final and win. That team was loaded with talent, not even all of the best Argentinian players, but they are poorly coached and do not play like a quality team should play. I don't know why, but they play compared to what they're capability is. And that is no 1 player's fault, it's the entire organization's fault.

Spain's squad is composed of all great players, and they all pretty much play with each other all year round with all of the Barca and Madrid players. In such a sport like soccer, do you not see any glaring and enormous advantage here?? I do. Soccer is not a game where you can put together a team really quickly, train for a month or two, and expect the team to be at its potential. That's just the nature of the game. Spain's players play with each other all year round for several years, Argentina's players do not. In addition to the very short time, consider Spain had a coach, Argentina did not.

I don't think things are equal to begin with

Winning the WC is a team effort, not individual. Just because your team won does not mean you were one of the best players, and just because your team failed to win the cup does not mean you, individually as a player, performed unsatisfactorily.

Really, the only argument you have and the only thing reporters (that either didn't watch the game or don't understand soccer) wrote in terms of Messi's world cup was that he did not score goals. And coming back to the point, so ing what, it's a team game.

Xavi scored 0 goals, Iniesta 2, during the world cup. I guess according to you and said reporters, Higuain played better than Xavi and Iniesta combined. Nice. Even Heinze and Demichelis performed better than Messi!!!

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    But Xavi is a playmaking midfielder...not a forward or winger!!!

/Brazil

Well my friend, this was exactly Messi's role in the WC, he had to do everything for that team in terms of moving the ball forward. Whenever they needed to push it forward, almost always, Messi had to do it himself with his runs and passing, because that team didn't have any other playmakers that could create.

It's a shame you're upset Messi didn't win the ultimate TEAM award when he himself played well...the golden ball, unfortunately, is an individual accomplishment, and Messi had an unbelievable year during 2010.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    But Xavi is a playmaking midfielder...not a forward or winger!!!

/Brazil

Well my friend, this was exactly Messi's role in the WC, he had to do everything for that team in terms of moving the ball forward. Whenever they needed to push it forward, almost always, Messi had to do it himself with his runs and passing, because that team didn't have any other playmakers that could create.

It's a shame you're upset Messi didn't win the ultimate TEAM award when he himself played well...the golden ball, unfortunately, is an individual accomplishment, and Messi had an unbelievable year during 2010.
    In 2006 Zidane had to do everything for the team and yet was IMO the star of the compe ion (i'm talking about football). BTW the coach ( ing dumb coach) was as much as ty than maradona, difference is the "old" players one of them being Zidane took over the squad. Maradona did just that for Naples too.

Now I'm aware that Messi is still young and that you cannot except that kind of leadership at his age, nevertheless yes he had to do everything and he did it nicely once again i was expecting more. Now my expectations were too high ? yeah maybe I tend to forget he is very young. So if he is too young why not giving the trophy to a formidable player like Xavi won the world cup and who had also a very solid year ?

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    In 2006 Zidane had to do everything for the team and yet was IMO the star of the compe ion (i'm talking about football). BTW the coach ( ing dumb coach) was as much as ty than maradona, difference is the "old" players one of them being Zidane took over the squad. Maradona did just that for Naples too.

Now I'm aware that Messi is still young and that you cannot except that kind of leadership at his age, nevertheless yes he had to do everything and he did it nicely once again i was expecting more. Now my expectations were too high ? yeah maybe I tend to forget he is very young. So if he is too young why not giving the trophy to a formidable player like Xavi won the world cup and who had also a very solid year ?
    I'm not saying Xavi shouldn't have won, I'm not saying Messi should definitely have won. It was definitely tough compe ion this year. But you keep missing the point that Xavi did not win the world cup, Spain won the world cup.

Veteran
    Post Count
    these are not the same, it takes way more than playing well to take that Argentina squad to the WC final and win. That team was loaded with talent, not even all of the best Argentinian players, but they are poorly coached and do not play like a quality team should play. I don't know why, but they play compared to what they're capability is. And that is no 1 player's fault, it's the entire organization's fault.
    loaded with talent... in the attack. and redundant, to boot, as they are all quick midgets good at finishing, not creating. to top it off, a very young team. if you expected this team to win the WC, even with Mourinho or Guardiola or whoever else you consider a good coach, you're crazy. our keeper is mediocre and our defenders suck. Mascherano is good but nowhere near as good as we like to tell ourselves.
    Argentina has played compared to what they're capability is since 1994. In that span we dominated youth soccer but we're unable to finish better than quarter finalists in a WC, regardless of who the poor coach was in that span. The last time Argentine soccer over achieved was in 86 and 90 (btw, we played defensive counter attack for those two WC).

Spain's squad is composed of all great players, and they all pretty much play with each other all year round with all of the Barca and Madrid players. In such a sport like soccer, do you not see any glaring and enormous advantage here?? I do. Soccer is not a game where you can put together a team really quickly, train for a month or two, and expect the team to be at its potential. That's just the nature of the game. Spain's players play with each other all year round for several years, Argentina's players do not. In addition to the very short time, consider Spain had a coach, Argentina did not.
    All great players? please. do barca and madrid play the same system? i dont think so. I'll give you they dont have to travel as much to reach practices, that definitely makes a difference. and they have more stability on the bench because they dont change coaches every 5 months. but if spain was so great and has such a tremendous advantage, why did they lose to switzerland, squeak by Chile, have to steal the game from Paraguay, then squeak by germany and holland to win? the only convincing win they had was against honduras.

Winning the WC is a team effort, not individual. Just because your team won does not mean you were one of the best players, and just because your team failed to win the cup does not mean you, individually as a player, performed unsatisfactorily.
    agree

Really, the only argument you have and the only thing reporters (that either didn't watch the game or don't understand soccer) wrote in terms of Messi's world cup was that he did not score goals. And coming back to the point, so ing what, it's a team game.

Xavi scored 0 goals, Iniesta 2, during the world cup. I guess according to you and said reporters, Higuain played better than Xavi and Iniesta combined. Nice. Even Heinze and Demichelis performed better than Messi!!!
    I wouldnt say it was just no goals scored. he got shut down by germany, and some of the goals he missed was great goal keeping, others was poor shooting, either too soft or complicated the play. over all he played well, but by his standards it wasnt a good cup and I believe he has said so himself.

sorry, but argentina played a super top heavy lineup, criticize the lack of D all you want but when you have tevez, higuain, di maria, and 2 of maxi/veron/pastore playing, you can't say he didnt have help in the midfield/attack.

Messi had an unbelievable club season and a so-so WC, IMO he deserved the award because he is the best in the world and had a great year. but there is no need to downplay Argentina and prop Spain to make the argument. The argument is that Fabio Cannavaro should have never won the award because he sucks and his WC wasnt great to begin with. The WC is extremely cir stantial (6-8 games worth of play should not determine a yearly award), if Paraguay doesnt have a legit goal taken away, does anyone consider Xavi the best player in the world? If brazil doesnt meltdown against holland, do people consider sneijder the best? I vote no.

Xavi had a good year and a so-so WC as well, I wouldnt have been surprised if he was picked in recognition of his career. but he is still not as good as messi.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    All great players? please. do barca and madrid play the same system? i dont think so. I'll give you they dont have to travel as much to reach practices, that definitely makes a difference. and they have more stability on the bench because they dont change coaches every 5 months. but if spain was so great and has such a tremendous advantage, why did they lose to switzerland, squeak by Chile, have to steal the game from Paraguay, then squeak by germany and holland to win? the only convincing win they had was against honduras.
    No they don't play the same system, but a lot of the players play together all year around, they know eachother, how they play, and that's more so what I was referring to.

And yes, of course, great players. Spain is loaded with great players, just like Argentina is. Why did they lose to Switzerland..sqeak by Chile.. etc..well, I'm not sure why you mention this because these outcomes do not negate the fact that Spain is loaded with talent at every part of the pitch. The fact that they didn't perform to their potential doesn't mean they don't have great players, much like Argentina. And the fact that this team still won the world cup while not even playing to potential tells you something...doesn't it? It tells me, along with my prior existing knowledge, that that team is so solid on paper that they can still get by without an exceptional performance.

sorry, but argentina played a super top heavy lineup, criticize the lack of D all you want but when you have tevez, higuain, di maria, and 2 of maxi/veron/pastore playing, you can't say he didnt have help in the midfield/attack.
    Of course they had terrible defense...

I'm not saying he didn't have the help, i.e. the talent there beside him, I'm saying he wasn't helped very much because of the types of players. Messi isn't a creating midfielder, and he had to be all over the place for that team to move the ball up the field and put the team in position to strike. Just because the talent is there doesn't mean they utilize it best or play well in general. You seem to know this yourself when you say:

Argentina has played compared to what they're capability is since 1994. In that span we dominated youth soccer but we're unable to finish better than quarter finalists in a WC, regardless of who the poor coach was in that span. The last time Argentine soccer over achieved was in 86 and 90 (btw, we played defensive counter attack for those two WC).
    Exactly contributing to my point. Argentina has consistently underachieved in recent history, and it's because they don't play to their potential. They don't move in unison like Brazil, they play some stupid ass futbol compared to what they should be doing...and that's largely the coaching and AFA's fault for not turning that around. Whenever you watch Argentina play, they pass it around a million times way back in their own territory, sometimes scratching the other half of the pitch, back again, until finally someone like Messi moves the ball up himself. This is all I saw during the WC..games where for periods of time they couldn't create much of anything unless it was Messi advancing the ball and trying to find opportunities.

My general point is sure the team had talent, but with the way they play, they're basically wasting it for this generation, because they'll never win a WC. The only reason they make it to the quarter finals and beat teams, see some success, is purely based on talent alone. Their talent carries them, without playing like a great team plays.

[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Count
    ain is loaded with great players, just like Argentina is. Why did they lose to Switzerland..sqeak by Chile.. etc..well, I'm not sure why you mention this because these outcomes do not negate the fact that Spain is loaded with talent at every part of the pitch. The fact that they didn't perform to their potential doesn't mean they don't have great players, much like Argentina. And the fact that this team still won the world cup while not even playing to potential tells you something...doesn't it? It tells me, along with my prior existing knowledge, that that team is so solid on paper that they can still get by without an exceptional performance.
    Sorry, but the only places I see Spain loaded with great players are goalkeeper and offensive midfielders. They have a couple good forwards and some mediocre ones, same with their defensive mids, they have good centerbacks, their sidebacks are mediocre to crap. That is not what I consider loaded at all, though they do have talent at the right places. For all the talk about them being some kind of offensive powerhouse that plays the right way, every game they won sans honduras was by one goal, and many of them were won in the last minute. They scored 8 goals in 7 games (lowest in WC history), in other words, they won with defence and lacklustre opposition (they didnt face a top team till the semis). If Chile didn't gift them the first goal in their match against each other, its entirely possible they would have been eliminated in the first round. They were extremely fortunate, but that is part of the WC.

Exactly contributing to my point. Argentina has consistently underachieved in recent history, and it's because they don't play to their potential. They don't move in unison like Brazil, they play some stupid ass futbol compared to what they should be doing...and that's largely the coaching and AFA's fault for not turning that around. Whenever you watch Argentina play, they pass it around a million times way back in their own territory, sometimes scratching the other half of the pitch, back again, until finally someone like Messi moves the ball up himself. This is all I saw during the WC..games where for periods of time they couldn't create much of anything unless it was Messi advancing the ball and trying to find opportunities.

My general point is sure the team had talent, but with the way they play, they're basically wasting it for this generation, because they'll never win a WC. The only reason they make it to the quarter finals and beat teams, see some success, is purely based on talent alone. Their talent carries them, without playing like a great team plays.
    I think you're mixing things up. the 94 / 98 / 02 / 06 / 10 teams played different styles. My whole point was precisely that, that its not just a matter of the coaches system. Maybe there is a problem with Argentine players, no matter how talented or how highly valued they are on the club market. I find it funny you complain about a million passes that dont move forward, when that description fits Spain to a tee (and it would describe barca w/o messi pretty well too). If anything the problem last year for Argentina was not enough passes/possession. Its not just a matter of talent. It matters a lot where you have that talent. It is better to have a great goalie, a great CB, and a great attacking mid than it is to have 5 great strikers. A great coach cant fix an unbalanced roster.

Messi had a great year and he deserved the award. But I agree with Brazil that he didnt have a great WC, just a good one, and I dont think that its a valid excuse to say the reason for that is lack of help and a poor coach. it certainly wasnt for a lack of trying, IMO it had more to do with having too much pressure and not enough luck.

Moreover, I dont want to see people revising history to make out Spain's WC win to be some kind of dominating display of futbol virtuosity when they were barely able to keep themselves from choking it up. just because barca plays that way doesnt mean the spanish NT does.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I'm not saying Xavi shouldn't have won, I'm not saying Messi should definitely have won. It was definitely tough compe ion this year. But you keep missing the point that Xavi did not win the world cup, Spain won the world cup.
    then can u explain to me how sniejder was snubbed then? he had a great run with inter winning CL and SERIE-A le, made to WC finals

and what has messi done? that year alone? looks like this clown is living on reputation then what he did for the year....

Veteran
    Post Count
    then can u explain to me how sniejder was snubbed then? he had a great run with inter winning CL and SERIE-A le, made to WC finals

and what has messi done? that year alone? looks like this clown is living on reputation then what he did for the year....
    too bad sneijder doesnt have a reputation. seriously, if you are a saudi prince and you buy a club, your first hire is sneijder? what has sneijder done besides one year of TEAM success? and holland had an even less impressive WC than spain.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    too bad sneijder doesnt have a reputation. seriously, if you are a saudi prince and you buy a club, your first hire is sneijder? what has sneijder done besides one year of TEAM success? and holland had an even less impressive WC than spain.
    so what does buying certain players come into the equation into this debate? gtfo

this is a yearly award, not base on previous years performance, if it was base on reputation of previous years performance you might as well hand messi the next 10 years of awards.

we are comparing sneijder to messis run for the year, wtf u bringin up spain? xavi and iniesta didnt win champions league last year

Veteran
    Post Count
    messi plays a bigger role on his club / NT than sneijder does in either his club or NT. in 2010, his teams had marginally lower success while he played a significantly higher role in that success. therefore, messi is more deserving than sneijder. also, you forget that 2010 carried on past august. did sneijder or his team do anything in the 2nd half of the year? (besides falling apart i mean)

it seems to me that sneijder had a good CL final and a good match against brazil and you want to give him the award for that. any Inter fan will tell you he isnt close to being their best player, and I doubt many dutch consider him the clear cut best player on their team. so how about you make an actual argument for him besides noting the fact that he had success in Inter which is a international power house with or without him and that holland fouled/lucked itself into the WC final, again probably with or without sneijder.

Veteran
    Post Count
    we are comparing sneijder to messis run for the year, wtf u bringin up spain?
    oh, and learn to read:

holland had an even less impressive WC than spain.

My Team
    Paris Saint-Germain FC
    Post Count
    According to the votes, if only the media were choosing (like before) it'd be:
    1-Sneijder
    2-Iniesta
    3-Xavi
    4-Messi

Messi won because now the coaches and captains have a vote.

Veteran
    Post Count
    According to the votes, if only the media were choosing (like before) it'd be:
    1-Sneijder
    2-Iniesta
    3-Xavi
    4-Messi

Messi won because now the coaches and captains have a vote.
    makes sense, they're they same re s that picked cannavaro after all

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Messi missed a penalty in a godly manner today

Veteran
    Post Count
    almeria
    alcorcon
    lyon
    haven't won anything since 07-08, the last season before messi took Dinho's spot, despite Florentino Perez billions more in signings
    losing every clasico since that season, with a total score of 16 - 2 against
    CRonaldo missing a penalty in a CL FINAL after trying to be cute taking small steps, compared to messi missing a penalty in an irrelevant match thank to his 3 goals in the 5-0 1st leg match
    cristiano ronaldo never scoring a single goal against barcelona in his career

I better save the rest for another occasion!

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    almeria
    alcorcon
    lyon
    haven't won anything since 07-08, the last season before messi took Dinho's spot, despite Florentino Perez billions more in signings
    losing every clasico since that season, with a total score of 16 - 2 against
    CRonaldo missing a penalty in a CL FINAL after trying to be cute taking small steps, compared to messi missing a penalty in an irrelevant match thank to his 3 goals in the 5-0 1st leg match
    cristiano ronaldo never scoring a single goal against barcelona in his career

I better save the rest for another occasion!
    Whatever

Real still has more les than Barcelona

Don't be jealous

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Whatever

Don't be jealous
    lolz, you initiated and therefore you truly are the butthurt over Messi's dominance of Real and Ronaldo...

Your response right there is right out of luva, 21_ ings, KoolAid,etc.'s book:

Whatever, the Lakers still have more les than the Spurs, don't be jealous

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    Whatever

Don't be jealous
    yeah, not after this Barca team is done

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    When Cristiano has a nightmare, you know it includes Messi and/or Barcelona. Both are responsible for stealing his thunder.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    I'm not joking...he's going to look back and really see his terrible luck. Well, perhaps not exactly anything to do with luck, it was his decision to join La Liga.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I'm not joking...he's going to look back and really see his terrible luck. Well, perhaps not exactly anything to do with luck, it was his decision to join La Liga.
    i agree

Even though I'm a RMA fan, I didnt like the Ronaldo signing

He is a POS

Veteran
    Post Count
    Whatever

Don't be jealous
    good thing i'm not a barca fan, I'm a boca fan, just defending Messi for missing a penalty, as it can happen to anyone, including the great Zidane.

galacticos destroyed by Riquelme and Palermo

Boca 18 international les to RMs 15? (not sure if you have more than 15, but definitely less than Boca)

just ribbing you Lefty, you're a good sport, its just a shame you're a RM fan.

Thread Information