Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Or is he showing one of many destinies?
    If his specific prophecies don't come true, then Bible God is a liar.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If his specific prophecies don't come true, then Bible God is a liar.
    Well, he did say that a great many would start to turn away from him and deny him. Isn't that happening now?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Well, he did say that a great many would start to turn away from him and deny him. Isn't that happening now?
    So he does choose to see everyone's future.

Now back to the free will paradox.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Perhaps the prophecies were meant to serve as a warning to what would happen should a person choose to stray from the path.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Perhaps the prophecies were meant to serve as a warning to what would happen should a person choose to stray from the path.
    Naw, he directly told Peter that he was going to deny him three times before his grows.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So he does choose to see everyone's future.

Now back to the paradox.
    Once again, look at the explanation I gave to DMC about the child running across the street. The prophecy would be something like, "If you cross the street without looking both ways or holding my hand, you will transform into a road pancake." It is up to the child to choose their own destiny.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Naw, he directly told Peter that he was going to deny him three times before his grows.
    That was Jesus.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    “If a man divorces his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's wife, will he return to her? Would not that land be greatly polluted? You have played the with many lovers; and would you return to me? declares the Lord." - Jeremiah 3:1

Thus says the Lord: “What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?" Jeremiah 2:5

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Once again, look at the explanation I gave to DMC about the child running across the street. The prophecy would be something like, "If you cross the street without looking both ways or holding my hand, you will transform into a road pancake." It is up to the child to choose their own destiny.
    Nope. You're either omniscient or you're not. As soon as you erase or block your memory, you're no longer omniscient.

Can God make an indestructible wall that even he can't knock down?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Jesus = God

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    “If a man divorces his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's wife, will he return to her? Would not that land be greatly polluted? You have played the with many lovers; and would you return to me? declares the Lord." - Jeremiah 3:1

Thus says the Lord: “What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?" Jeremiah 2:5
    Ok

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nope. You're either omniscient or you're not. As soon as you erase or block your memory, you're no longer omniscient.

Can God make an indestructible wall that even he can't knock down?
    Ah, the classic question raises its head designed simply to prove that no matter the answer I give, God will not be all powerful. I will answer this with another paradox.

If I shoot a gun at someone, the bullet does need to travel a specified distance to reach the target, however, mathematically speaking the bullet should never hit the target because the distance the bullet must travel could be divided infinitely.

Some things just are.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    You saying that God chooses to limit his knowledge is just another example of the classic omnipotence/omniscience paradox

If it "just is that way" then the Bible is completely invalid

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    God is the paradox. The answer is clearly beyond our understanding. In order for a person to prove the existence of God, they themselves must become omniscient. Neither of us can make this claim. The closest thing to evidence at least in Christianity is the teachings of the Bible. I just find it foolish to make a claim that God doesn't, or couldn't exist based on our current knowledge and history.

I look at the Bible more as a history lesson and guideline to a happier future. I don't think of it as the literal word of God, but a possible attempt to understand and explain him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Ah, the classic question raises its head designed simply to prove that no matter the answer I give, God will not be all powerful. I will answer this with another paradox.

If I shoot a gun at someone, the bullet does need to travel a specified distance to reach the target, however, mathematically speaking the bullet should never hit the target because the distance the bullet must travel could be divided infinitely.

Some things just are.
    no. that's not a paradox. that's just a repeating decimal. thats like saying 1.11111... = infinity

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    God is the paradox. The answer is clearly beyond our understanding. In order for a person to prove the existence of God, they themselves must become omniscient. Neither of us can make this claim. The closest thing to evidence at least in Christianity is the teachings of the Bible. I just find it foolish to make a claim that God doesn't, or couldn't exist based on our current knowledge and history.

I look at the Bible more as a history lesson and guideline to a happier future. I don't think of it as the literal word of God, but a possible attempt to understand and explain him.
    The concept of omniscience is itself flawed.

You don't know, and can't know, that "the answer is beyond our understanding".

The answer to the question "how big is the sun" or "what is the sun made of"? was beyond our understanding a mere few hundred years ago.

Again, I can't rule out the possibility of an immensely powerful being, but the Bible God is definitely nonexistant. That is easy. To say that "the closest thing to evidence..." is provably false. The bible is evidence of men writing about what they think God is, no more.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It is simple. Choose to know the destiny of mankind, or not to choose the destiny of mankind. That is the choice.

The future is known to God should he choose it. You may know if your child were to run across the street that he/she could be hit by a car. You don't know for certain whether or not the child will choose to do so, but you warn them anyways to mitigate the risk.
    You seem to misunderstand the concept of omniscience. What you're saying is god is unlimited but limited if he chooses to be which would mean god isn't unlimited which would mean god isn't god.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no. that's not a paradox. that's just a repeating decimal. thats like saying 1.11111... = infinity
    Then how does the bullet hit the man?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Then how does the bullet hit the man?
    how is 1.1111 repeating not infinite if you always add another 1, thus making the number continuously bigger?

its just a misunderstanding of math

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    ok, lets assume that the bullet is for some reason very slow traveling and moves 10 feet per second, at a constant velocity. i know this number is nowhere near accurate, but just for the sake of math, lets go with it.

the target is 100 feet away. the bullet will get there in 10 seconds. period. end of story. it doesn't matter that the bullet must first travel 90 feet. then 9 feet. then 0.9 feet. then 0.09 feet. that doesn't matter. once it gets to 90 feet, it only needs 1 second to travel the remaining 10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You seem to misunderstand the concept of omniscience. What you're saying is god is unlimited but limited if he chooses to be which would mean god isn't unlimited which would mean god isn't god.
    We can hold an egg in our hands. We can easily crush it, or we can choose not to. We make similar choices all the time. How can God not be capable of a choice?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    converging series are treated as finite numbers. this has been experimentally proven and is applied in physics and engineering

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    infinite number of steps. finite amount of time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ok, lets assume that the bullet is for some reason very slow traveling and moves 10 feet per second, at a constant velocity. i know this number is nowhere near accurate, but just for the sake of math, lets go with it.

the target is 100 feet away. the bullet will get there in 10 seconds. period. end of story. it doesn't matter that the bullet must first travel 90 feet. then 9 feet. then 0.9 feet. then 0.09 feet. that doesn't matter. once it gets to 90 feet, it only needs 1 second to travel the remaining 10.
    But why does it hit the target when math says it both can, and can't hit it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    infinite number of steps. finite amount of time.
    do you know what a convergent series is?

Thread Information