Page 22 of 143 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see why Houston does that because Ariza's contract is very good. If you think you can build a contender, you will need a piece like Ariza on a reasonable contract. Houston unfairly put Ariza in a bad role last year because they lost T-Mac & Yao. Next year, Ariza should be in his actual role.

Now, if he fails next year, then they might be open to it, but I think they give it at least 1 more year minimum. Not to mention, it is Houston & the Spurs doing business.

I know they did the Scola trade, but that was a little different imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I was getting at. Ariza'a got roughly $27M left on his contract over the next four years (if he picks up the final year player-option), which is a reasonable contract for a 25-year-old player of his ability.

So to exchange two expirings (RJ and Jefferies) in order to get of the hook from that contract doesn't seem all that prudent -- Unless their intention is to be a real player in next year's free-agent class and they're very optimistic about landing someone, I just don't see how this is something I would do if I were in the Rockets shoes.

But if they're willing, I ain't gonna complain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, no doubt. I would cry tears of joy if the Spurs did that trade. It would be the most perfect situation in an RJ trade. I want the Spurs to move RJ no matter what, I don't really care what they get back, but if they could land Ariza, I would be thrilled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There'd be a lot of pink elephants up in this mug . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really think the Rockets would do that, Bruno?

That'd be a phenomenal trade for the Spurs. It's something that could be the final piece to the puzzle if Tiago comes over and plays the way he's capable . . .
    It depends on how the value Ariza who has had a bad year in Rockets. I'm not sure they still want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do owe the Spurs a solid after Scola.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't see the Rockets doing that. Ariza is a nice compliment to Martin on the wings.

One trade they might consider is Jefferson for Battier, Jeffries and Anderson. The Spurs would actually add about $1.4 million in payroll, so they could send back either Temple or Gee or have the Rockets pay the difference.

Problem is, they're all expiring contracts. Anderson has a player option for next season, but there's, at minimum, a realistic chance that the Spurs would decline it and the Rockets almost certainly will.

So, what's the incentive for the Rockets to make this trade? It's not financial and they've always been very fond of Battier, which leaves probably one scenario where this is feasible: Martin, who's injury prone, goes down with a long term injury, Ariza, Budinger and Taylor can't fill the void offensively on the wings and in a desperate attempt to avoid missing the playoffs again, after first looking around for a better player, they grudgingly accept this offer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucher reports that the Bulls "can and will" trade Johnson, while the Chicago Tribune reports that the Bulls failed in their attempt to move Johnson at the draft. His salary brakes down as follows: $1,713,600 in 10-11, $1,833,120 11-12, $2,812,006 in 12-13 and $3,950,868 in 13-14. 11-12 and 12-13 are team options and 13-14 is his qualifying offer.

Temple, Gee and Jerrells all make $762,195 in 10-11, but, as we know, they're all on non-guaranteed contracts. So the Spurs could offer, say, Gee, Jerrells and a future 2nd round pick to the Bulls for Johnson and potentially pry away a future 1st round pick in the process (can't be in '11 because the Bulls just dealt their '10 1st round pick).

Like the Heat (as evidenced by the Cook and and a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick trade), the Bulls are desperate to clear as much space as possible and doing this would (I'm not 100%, but fairly certain) allow them to offer two max contracts. They might just be desperate enough to sacrifice a future 1st round pick (it would almost certainly have provisions, but still), in addition to a decent prospect.

Speaking of said prospect, Johnson wouldn't be a bad fit. He's not a stretch four or a stopper, but he is a combo forward and he can score inside-and-out. He could fill the big three/fifth big role and add to the Spurs ever growing stable of quality prospects. In the event they didn't like what they saw from him next season or deemed him too expensive, they could decline his option for the following season.
    Last edited by TD 21; 06-27-2010 at 06:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson/Gee for Ariza/Jeffries...we then buy out Jeffries.

We also sign UDFAs Mac Koshwal, Mikhail Torrance, and Marqus Blakely.

We re-sign Ian and Temple. We bring Splitter over.

C - Splitter, Ian, McDyess/Richards
    PF - Duncan, Blair, Koshwal
    SF - Ariza, Hairston, Blakely
    SG - Manu, Anderson, Torrance
    PG - Parker, Hill, Temple

aside from the Big 3, we would see tons of youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone think the rockets could be interested in a :

Battier/Jeffries + Ariza for RJ (plus, in case, Hairston or Gee)
    i would love this trade to happen, i even will throw a 2011 first round pick if it necessary, i doubt Rockets do it tho, i think they high on Ariza.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on how the value Ariza who has had a bad year in Rockets. I'm not sure they still want him.
    I think it's totally impossible to predict which direction the Rockets go, the only save bet IMO is, that they will do a lot of dealing this summer.
    first question will be, does Yao opt out. if yes and if they don't want to max out him for years, they will try to push the already started youth path and probably even don't re sign Scola (who will get MLE offers around the league).
    remember, they traded for Jordan Hill last deadline and now drafted Patterson. in case of the youth thing they will keep Ariza IMO (who will turn just 25 this week), but they might try to trade Battier.
    can't see a trade the Rockets would want though.
    (outside the obvious trade for the Splitter rights)

EDIT: totally ignored the impact of a Yao opt out. Rockets would have about 10 million in cap space. (considering cap holds for roster and picks). not enough th become a player in the free agency. they will try to increase this cap space by trading for unguaranteed contracts and/or TEs.
    Spurs could assemble something with their gray contracts.
    Last edited by mountainballer; 06-28-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's being reported that the Bucks are looking for veteran help. Would they take on a guy like McDyess.

Was think of a trade like this:

Dice, Hairston, Temple, Jerrels (looks like they could use another ball handler, perhaps a Summer League try-out considering they are non-guaranteed contracts)

For

Delfino, Mbah a Moute, and the rights to Tiny Gallon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if the Spurs do a S&T with RJ to a team like the Nets, and get a TE in return, who could the Spurs possibly target with the trade exception?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we could gamble on Mike Beasley for the SF position, he still has big potential and Miami will give him for cheap.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been no report of this but it could totally work...

Parker has already showed that he does not want to be a part of the spurs after the season. He is tired of our trade talks.

That means we will have a lot of money from him. And a lot of money from jefferson's contract. We will be able to afford him

He would be interested in us because of money, championship potential, and because we are one of the best organizations in all of sports.

And nuggets are going down hill.... Billups won't have a lot of quality years left. Karl will probably be gone... and this years free agency frenzy has been crazy and has put big name players under the spot light... he will want that and he will want to see his options

Our main threat or compe or would be the knicks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kapono is on the block

McDyess plus any Hairston/Gee/Temple/Jerrels would work out in that trade.

Would give us a proven shooter at the 3 spot. Any interest?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kapono is on the block

McDyess plus any Hairston/Gee/Temple/Jerrels would work out in that trade.

Would give us a proven shooter at the 3 spot. Any interest?
    Not from Philly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    james johnson from the bulls is on the board, bulls thinkn of trading him...

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seems as if Denver is getting closer to finally blow the whole team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ynuggets082610
    Denver is willing to trade Anthony, J.R. Smith(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes), and start over again, sources said.
    if the Nuggets in fact start a fire sale this summer, it could bring back some movement to this meanwhile lame duck off season.
    not sure how this could also affect the Spurs, but it would of course be nice to get into some deals, if some 3 or 4 team blockbusters are worked out.
    I'm sure they will need a pretty big scenario around Melo. Nuggets currently pay a boatload of tax, immediately dumping salary in the process will be a priority. (will be even more complicated, if Melo gets his 3years/65 million before the trade). only Nets might be able to offer a straight salary dump scenario.
    but if a team like Houston wants Melo (reportedly Melo likes this option), they will need to involve other teams. (best candidate will be Bobcats and their Dampier contract).

would be nice, if the Spurs could sneak into such a blockbuster. (other teams might have better assets though). especially a Houston scenario could produce some nice spin offs. (Battier?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...gning-third-pg

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that a trade sending James Johnson to Charlotte has emerged one option, but it remains to be seen if such talks get serious … or if Johnson remains as available as he was in the offseason after seizing a rotation spot under new coach Tom Thibodeau.
    Gee + Temple for Johnson

Spurs could add a little something like second round picks or the rights to De Colo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if we're already over the lux tax limit or not...and if we're not for how much.
    I thought about that 'cause, imho, if we can still sign one/two players at the minimum without exceeding the lux tax, we should do it now that some intersting names looks to be available in the posistions we stil need...
    Two names that comes to my mind are Williams (recently cut by Cavs; he played in some of our summer leagues and i think we were interested in him this season) and Barron (recently cut by Phoenix after the Gortat trade; maybe not the smartest of players but with good phisical skills in a role we need...good for 7/8 minutes more of resting for our old bigs).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if we're already over the lux tax limit or not...and if we're not for how much.
    I thought about that 'cause, imho, if we can still sign one/two players at the minimum without exceeding the lux tax, we should do it now that some intersting names looks to be available in the posistions we stil need...
    Two names that comes to my mind are Williams (recently cut by Cavs; he played in some of our summer leagues and i think we were interested in him this season) and Barron (recently cut by Phoenix after the Gortat trade; maybe not the smartest of players but with good phisical skills in a role we need...good for 7/8 minutes more of resting for our old bigs).
    Speaking of Earl Barron....I found this absolutely awesome article regarding him.

Wed Dec 22 11:00am EST

Earl Barron responds to his banishment from Phoenix

By Eric Freeman

Dearest Sister Candace,

It has now been seven winters since I left our home at Clarksdale Hall and ventured to the Colonies to reclaim our family's fortune following father's unfortunate accident on a pheasant hunt. Blessed with tall stature and broad shoulders, I sought out a career in hooped sport to bring honor back to our family's name and perhaps earn our scions a spot for the next form at Eton. It has been an arduous road, taking me all across this infernal nation of louts and traitors to the monarchy.

Verily, you have heard the news by now by way of Mr. Morse's code-- the moneylender Mr. Sarver has released me from my contract with the Suns of Phoenix in order to clear the way for a foreigner called "Marcin Gortat" and one Vincent Carter, rumored to be a half-man, half-monster figure on the order of the protagonist in R.L. Stevenson's masterly Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. (I hope you have had a chance to read this volume in your studies. Do not waver -- Mistress Haversham is a stern but learned woman.) Gortat is to pair with Don Robin Lopez(notes) to create what they tell me is a most imposing duo.

I fear the writing was on the wall as to my dismissal. Mr. Gortat and Mr. Carter were acquired only by letting go of my good friend the Earl Clark(notes), another nobleman of strong stock who was consigned to the oaken bench in favor of lesser souls. By all accounts, Mr. Sarver has fallen victim to the new populist movement sweeping this country's farmers, no doubt spurred along by the local prefect Lord McCain. I fear there is no room for our kind in this land, though my friends inform me that the latest tax reduction suggests otherwise.

I know not what my next step shall be. Yesterday eve, I supped with my appointed barrister Mr. Derrick Powell, Esq. at an establishment of the restaurateur Mr. Denny. (I requested the "Grand Slam," thinking it fit for a man of my pedigree, but it was ly damp and tasted of saddle soap.) Mr. Powell has informed me that my options are sadly limited, but good fortune may smile upon me yet. Men of the centered position are often liable to injure their femurs and patella ligaments, and another club may seek my services before long. (Hast thou seen Dr. Woolsley recently? How I long for a good bloodletting. Visiting the physician in this country often requires consultation with an anatomy textbook simply to understand their diagnoses.)

You may wish to sit down to read the following news so as to not catch the dreaded vapors. Mr. Powell informs me that should a basketballing troupe not inquire after my services over the next fortnight, I may have to return to the League of Development, that lowly repository for street urchins and beggars. How I fear a return to those lackluster carriage rides and frigid changing rooms. Yet I must remind myself it is all for the good of our family crest and all for which it stands.

Do not worry after me. In spite of these misgivings, I remain committed as ever to my task. I know in the depths of my heart that all our futures and the names of our forebears depend on it. Anon, I will stand at the throne of this profession, and we will be reunited at Clarksdale Hall, our bellies plump from a feast of roast goose and elderberry wine.

Until then, I shall think wistfully of home and grasp at any piece of information that comes my way. Are the reports true that our fair Prince William has claimed himself an angelic princess? Do not fret, young swan -- soon you will find a suitable husband. With any luck, my victories in America shall provide a sizable dowry.

Please give my best to our loving Mother Jeraldean, feed my hound Tristan his favorite treat, and verify that Billingsley has not let the stables fall into disorder in my absence.

Like the namesake of my last employer's township, I shall rise from the ashes to best all challenges set before me.

Your Humble Servant,

The Earl Barron

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks getting ready to waive Mason, whats the chance he comes back to SA now that he is healthy for playoff run. I cant see Pop trusting Niel and Anderson come playoff time.
    Was his health ever the problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks getting ready to waive Mason, whats the chance he comes back to SA now that he is healthy for playoff run. I cant see Pop trusting Niel and Anderson come playoff time.
    Good one.

"He's Manu Ginobili." senorglory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Mason? I thought he retired.

Thread Information