Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also a bit sad to think about , but one thing the FO has now vs then, is experienced player development, a dedicated d league team, and chip engelland. Lots of those guys who tried our prior to 2012 didn't get the opportunities that Simmons currently has. Not much more to say about it. Sucks for them, other than James Anderson I don't think anyone we waived would really make a difference.
    Simmons may be the first D-league talent that Austin has developed that might actually stick with the Spurs.

Jamychal Green could have been that person, but he signed elsewhere.

This is a good sign in that the Austin system might finally pay dividends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons may be the first D-league talent that Austin has developed that might actually stick with the Spurs.

Jamychal Green could have been that person, but he signed elsewhere.

This is a good sign in that the Austin system might finally pay dividends.
    CoJo would have stuck if not for the fact that he was buried behind Parker and Mills and Spurs couldn't afford to pay him and go after LMA.

I know Joseph was drafted with the Spurs, but his game was built in Austin and he is doing quite well in Toronto now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no doubt in my mind Simmons could replace Manu as the Spurs future 6th man. He is no manu, but he is as every bit athletic and the one thing he has over young Manu is his size and strength. He rarely gets knocked down going to the rim. I don't expect him to as injured prone as Manu.
    Aren't they practically the same size?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CoJo would have stuck if not for the fact that he was buried behind Parker and Mills and Spurs couldn't afford to pay him and go after LMA.

I know Joseph was drafted with the Spurs, but his game was built in Austin and he is doing quite well in Toronto now.
    I look at Cojo as that failed development project and wasted pick that should have gone to Jimmy Butler instead. :-(

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't they practically the same size?
    Yes, they are about the same size. However, both listed at 6'6", Manu probably has a higher standing reach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at Cojo as that failed development project and wasted pick that should have gone to Jimmy Butler instead. :-(
    Can you imagine Kawhi and Butler drafted together? Damn

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lot's of knee jerk reactions here after having so many years of disappointment with the likes of James 'Flight' Wight, James Gist, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, etc...

Folks got to realize, it isn't the elite athleticism that impressed me, it's the score in traffic and pass in traffic that sets him apart.
    But none of them shot over .400 in the D league. None of them could take a guy off the dribble like Simmons can. I was never impressed with any of the Spurs D-League players. That last player I was impressed with was Gary Neal as far as SL and D league play. Neal is a serviceable NBA bench player. I also like Gee but I wasn't impressed with him. I thought he was just a good fringe player to have coming off the bench.

But I watched pretty much all the SL games and a few of the D-league playoff games last year and Simmons and Eddie were pretty awesome. I was more impressed by Simmons b/c of his Athleticism and ball handles.

Nothing Knee-Jerk about my reaction. Look at the beginning of this thread. My opinion about Simmons hasn't changed one bit from the SL to the Preseason til now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh... what could have been!

All the pre-draft predictions had Butler in the first round or early 2nd round. CoJo was like late 2nd round. Yet, Spurs picked him up even after they already drafted De Colo in the previous year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we would have drafted and developed Butler, there's no way PATFO trades Paul George Hill for Kawhi.

Who would you rather have, Butler or Kawhi?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we would have drafted and developed Butler, there's no way PATFO trades Paul George Hill for Kawhi.

Who would you rather have, Butler or Kawhi?
    2011 NBA Draft. Kawhi was already picked.

It was a choice of picking up Cojo or Butler. Spurs picked Cojo.

Again... another ty take by you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2011 NBA Draft. Kawhi was already picked.

It was a choice of picking up Cojo or Butler. Spurs picked Cojo.

Again... another ty take by you.
    yeah, because draft picks happen in a vacuum.

RC: "Hey Pop, let's trade our back-up point guard for the 15th pick, this guy is going to be an epic talent"

Pop: "Ok, Buford"

RC: "And then, lets spend our 29th pick on a another small forward with a similar skill set, and not try to replace the backup PG we just traded away"

Pop: "Sounds great, RC. Pull the trigger, Tony can play 48 a night!"

You do realize our PG "depth" at the time was Temple and Chris Quinn, right?

Last edited by Splits; 01-12-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, because draft picks happen in a vacuum.

RC: "Hey Pop, let's trade our back-up point guard for the 15th pick, this guy is going to be an epic talent"

Pop: "Ok, Buford"

RC: "And then, lets spend our 29th pick on a another small forward with a similar skill set, and not try to replace the backup PG we just traded away"

Pop: "Sounds great, RC. Pull the trigger, Tony can play 48 a night!"

You do realize our PG "depth" at the time was Temple and Chris Quinn, right?

Changing the reason why it was such a ty take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Changing the reason why it was such a ty take?
    keep digging and deflecting, bra. Maybe the LOL#you thread will drop off the first page by February

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another great take about Jonathon Simmons:

http://foxsanantonio.com/sports/spur...mons-nba-dream

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would make a good wide reciever .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would make a good wide reciever .
    Bend over. I'll make you a good wide receiver.

J/k calm down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no doubt in my mind Simmons could replace Manu as the Spurs future 6th man. He is no manu, but he is as every bit athletic and the one thing he has over young Manu is his size and strength. He rarely gets knocked down going to the rim. I don't expect him to as injured prone as Manu.

He was just thinking too much out there in the Preseason and he wasn't properly closing out on screens on D. And plus he wasn't gauging the speed of help defenders and that led to a lot of his turnovers. The video below would not have happen in the preseason or early season. Simmons has truly adjusted his game to account for the speed of help defenders at an NBA Level

I am a little surprised he has progressed so fast since the preseason. But I am not surprised of the product thus far. Simmons has elite NBA athleticism and he can take almost any defender one-on-one to the hoop. The missing element was his passing off the double teams. I think he has that pretty much down at this point. So much, help defenders are reluctant to leave their guy to guard him at times.

Always thought it funny when some posters here mentioned he should be cut after his preseason performances.

Man, it's gotta be fun playing with a guy like Boban

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New highlight play:

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New highlight play:

Mills probably told Baynes, "He just sent your back down under, mate."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude has shown a little bit of everything. Just a matter of time until he starts putting things together more consistently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New highlight play:

Dude has shown a little bit of everything. Just a matter of time until he starts putting things together more consistently
    If you found a NBA fan who had been marooned on a desert island and showed him all the Simmons highlights, he would think he was one of the top players in the league.
    He is almost frustrating to watch.. he is so tantalizingly talented, but hasn't put it all together. It's not just the athleticism, but he's got some skill, feel for the game, and doesn't appear to be lazy or a head case.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you found a NBA fan who had been marooned on a desert island and showed him all the Simmons highlights, he would think he was one of the top players in the league.
    He is almost frustrating to watch.. he is so tantalizingly talented, but hasn't put it all together. It's not just the athleticism, but he's got some skill, feel for the game, and doesn't appear to be lazy or a head case.....
    Simmons is a rookie in a team that is loaded with veterans who have played for over a decade in multiple playoff runs. He isn't expected to have the skills even in his first season.

It would be a travesty though if both Simmons and Boban aren't able to play in the Rookie / Sop re game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New highlight play:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New highlight play:

Baynes

Good riddance

Simmons

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some praise from Manu: http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/...on-translation

We've also gotten good production from players that surprised us. Jonathon Simmons was sent down to the D-League because he didn't have a good start, was unfamiliar with the team and had a lot of energy but couldn't find the right role. Yet when he got back from Austin he was very useful to us. He gives us something that the rest of us might not have: that freshness, that speed, that quickness. He's also very athletic, a good defender and he's hitting shots when he is open. He's been a pleasant surprise. He's a kid who has hunger, energy and confidence.
    Non-believers.... please line up at the confession box.

Thread Information