Page 237 of 293 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 7307
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also Woj's math sucks. Says SA offered 3M then had to "triple" their offer. 3 X 3 = 9M, not 14.
    Maybe he meant triple the cap hold?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Apparently the most reliable of sources is reporting SA wanted to keep Boban and could not do that because Manu told SA he was leaving for PHI if SA didn't up their offer.
    Wanting to do something and being able to do it are two different things. I wanted it, too. Once the Spurs signed Gasol, it was going to take a lot of good luck to land Boban and take care of their own free agents. Throwing some couch change at Manu was a longshot. In the end the team didn't have the room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the shot will be fine. He'll be more open than in Europe I expect and at least over there he never hesitated like Bonner and Anderson do.

Bigger question is whether Pop gives him time and real opportunities, or keeps him on the bench because "it wouldn't be fair" to give him time over Anderson or whatever vet scrub they get for the minimum.

I hope for the former while expecting the latter.
    If Pop does that bull this year, the 50-win streak will come to a fitting end. If he doesn't play them early, they'll get lots of injury minutes later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the rockets offer montejuntas? If philly wants a veteran let's give them parker for noel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he meant triple the cap hold?
    Maybe, but he referenced the Spurs initial offer which was 3M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite the somewhat shocking revelation that there was no 2 year agreement and that Manu took that deal last year with no guarantee of anything this year, I am still fine with the result.

It cost Boban, but that's probably OK. I would rather have Manu than Boban and without Manu, SA would be in a terrible spot at the guard positions.

The question really becomes would you rather not have Manu at all and cap space to pursue someone or Manu? The money doesn't matter too much because once SA decided they were keeping Manu and everyone agrees paying him his cap hold at least was fair, the money stopped mattering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather have Manu than Boban and without Manu, SA would be in a terrible spot at the guard positions.
    I think Manu's agent and the Spurs' FO were watching Jonathon Simmons brick threes and turn the ball over in Utah knowing that Manu was about to get paid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it all goes tumbling down when Durant signed with GSW. Which of course could not have happened it the cap remained the same.

There's no reason for Duncan to painfully play the season or Manu to not get paid what others are offering.

Honestly, teams like the 76ers need Manu's leadership badly. He's like a playing coach. Spurs, also need his help.

Well, Spurs at least will still compete, like for the WCF. Not likely to win though. But you still have to play the game and you just never know what will happen.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope 76ers still want a vet next year so we can unload Tp on them.

Also I guess we could move Boban next year by a longer contract for limits space for a free agent next year. Not a big fan of his ability to help us vs contenders anyway so I'm fine with losing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope 76ers still want a vet next year so we can unload Tp on them.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hlsggc5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would trade parker for a bag of doritos. anything more is a bonus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It cost the Spurs either Boban or Boris depending on how you look at it. My logic of it being SA doing Manu a solid has just been proven emphatically wrong though.

SA only offered Manu 3M which was below his cap hold. That signals they wanted to sign other FA's and missed out because they had to offer about 5x as much as they did originally.

Doesn't make sense to me that they would only offer that much (unless they were selling Manu on being "More" compe ive), but that is what Woj said.

That means there was definitely no 2-year agreement with Manu like I thought.
    Well it seems to me Manu is the one who said, screw Bobo, I want to play with Kyle instead Pop.
    Frankly I feel like trolling a little bit though that is unlike me... bc it seems ridiculous.
    Every time ElNono comes in complaining about Kyle I am going to tell him that Manu is crazy about this kid, loves his game, wanted to help him grow up and can't wait to play with him this season... for $14 mill that is.
    Manu ---><----Kyle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Don't need a 6'7" power forward on this team. Would rather have a one of several other players...Hickson, Lee, Bass...
    Didn't you just describe Bass?

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Happy for Manu and everything, but I'm not sure I understand people saying it makes no difference. Was Boban not a future trade asset at the very least? We're very likely not competing for a le this coming season anyway. Maybe I'm not understanding something about Manu's deal in relation to Boban's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't you just describe Bass?
    Bass has a jump shot, which is probably how he's managed to survive in the NBA all this time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, they gave Simmons a guaranteed year, but they also had that second year. That's why it would be surprising for Forbes to get the contract the article implied. He may well have gotten a guaranteed year, but he would have also gotten a fully non-guaranteed second and likely third year tacked on.
    Simmons at least dominated SL. What has LJC done except a block here and there? He doesn't have an NBA level skill. I just don't see it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did the Spurs bothered to bring Boban in and develop him without a second year option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did the Spurs bothered to bring Boban in and develop him without a second year option?
    to give us options this year? An we took gasol as the option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't have signed for 1.2M dollars with a team option for the second year and the Spurs didn't have the cap space to offer any more than that last summer. Boban took a very small contract and the Spurs gambled that they would have the flexibility this summer to retain him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They shouldn't be wasting time developing players who don't give them the option to sign on RFA rights.

So they were expecting Duncan to give them another bargain basement deal to sign Boban? Maybe Gasol should have given them a break if he wanted to play for a more compe ive team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't have signed for 1.2M dollars with a team option for the second year and the Spurs didn't have the cap space to offer any more than that last summer. Boban took a very small contract and the Spurs gambled that they would have the flexibility this summer to retain him.
    Yup. We all sometimes only see things from SA's perspective. However, the players have things they want too. Spurs sometimes have to take calculate risks and luckily for us it pays off quite a bit for SA.

But SA would have loved to keep Boban on a cheap deal for multiple years; however Boban was sought after and he was not willing to do that which makes perfect sense.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    to give us options this year? An we took gasol as the option.
    I heard somewhere the Gasol's contract is for two years with a player option after one. I guess if has a lousy season, the Spurs will suffer but he's more apt to opt in next year. If he does well, he'll opt out and ruin the Spurs flexibility in 2017. Same goes for Dedmon and Mills. Not sure how some people are under the impression the Spurs will have flexibility to sign free agents next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it seems to me Manu is the one who said, screw Bobo, I want to play with Kyle instead Pop.
    Frankly I feel like trolling a little bit though that is unlike me... bc it seems ridiculous.
    Every time ElNono comes in complaining about Kyle I am going to tell him that Manu is crazy about this kid, loves his game, wanted to help him grow up and can't wait to play with him this season... for $14 mill that is.
    Manu ---><----Kyle
    Manu actually had very kind words about Anderson every time he talks about him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu actually had very kind words about Anderson every time he talks about him...
    You are right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    R.C's compe iveness starts and ends with Tim Duncan and to a lesser extent Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard. He could have filled the remaining roster spots with bags of and the Spurs still would have won the championship.

The point being, from a statistical standpoint, he signed two of the worst players in the NBA and he got rewarded for it. Now, his tenure really begins and he's not off to a banging start.
    It's too soon for that, even for you. I mean, Tim officially retired 4 days ago and you're already playing that card? Come on, son... at least give him a couple seasons...

Thread Information