Page 240 of 280 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 5,976 to 6,000 of 6986
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't dismiss it as impossible. I just don't see any evidence of alien influence sufficient to prove such a large assertion.

There have been accounts going back thousands of years that the sun is a flaming chariot, being driven by a magic man. That doesn't mean the nearest star is a flaming chariot.

You have taken some vague evidence, and used cognitive bias to see "visitors from other worlds".

Basically, the same logical flaw that shows "visitors from other worlds", is used to prove "God did it", i.e. the argument from ignorance.

The bigger the claim, the better the evidence required to accept that claim as true, for any rational person.

I have seen the evidence presented for this ancient alien theory, and it is about as weak as it gets, in terms of actually supporting the theory it is supposed to back.
    I don't know what all the evidence is presented for the ancient alien case. I've watched the show here and there.
    The accounts I'm talking about are eyewitness accounts or different renditions in art or architecture or archaeological discoveries. Renditions that haven't been explained otherwise. You lumping everything in with flaming chariots is ridiculous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    All of these "therefores" require, for a rational person, a bit more than ancient stories.

What we have supporting ancient aliens, pixies, witches, and goblins, are stories, drawings and other sorts of things, easily explained by natural or human actions, and a lot of people who want to take those drawings and stories as sufficient proof of existence.

I require a bit more, before I start accepting something as true.

Does that mean witches, pixies, ancient aliens, goblins do NOT exist? No. They might, I don't think we could ever really have enough evidence to say that conclusively.

But

The time to believe something is when you have enough evidence to accept it is true. The only real issue is how much evidence is enough?

That is the real question sustaining this thread.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There have been accounts of misshapen greedy goblins for thousands of years, so therefore goblins are mining under the earth for gold.
    LOL. Sounds like you're the one butthurt. Let me know when you feel like you've solved everything. I hate to think of another evolved human being so distressed by this.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well your alien thoughts fall flat because of that conundrum
    Not necessarily. I recognize the paradox it creates but we're not trying to figure out alien evolution. Probably.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know what all the evidence is presented for the ancient alien case. I've watched the show here and there.
    The accounts I'm talking about are eyewitness accounts or different renditions in art or architecture or archaeological discoveries. Renditions that haven't been explained otherwise. You lumping everything in with flaming chariots is ridiculous.
    Accepting something on the basis of arguments from ignorance "I don't know, therefore ALIENS!" is irrational.

The feeling of ridicule you feel is the cognitive dissonance from holding the belief "I am a rational person" and "I believe irrational things" at the same time.

You can't reconcile the two things. That is why you are irritated.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL. Sounds like you're the one butthurt. Let me know when you feel like you've solved everything. I hate to think of another evolved human being so distressed by this.
    Not really. I was merely following the logical form you presented, to see if it held up for other things.

If it is logical to believe something for reason X, "stories of something going back thousands of years", then it should be the basis for other things.

Do you think that is a rational basis for believing in goblins? Why or why not?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    200 PAGES!

That is the all time record for a thread here at ST, but I can't take all the credit. So let me thank all the little people who made this possible, you know who you are. Thank You

Let's have some sounds.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Accepting something on the basis of arguments from ignorance "I don't know, therefore ALIENS!" is irrational.

The feeling of ridicule you feel is the cognitive dissonance from holding the belief "I am a rational person" and "I believe irrational things" at the same time.

You can't reconcile the two things. That is why you are irritated.
    LOL. Maybe. But I don't think I'm at the point of "I don't understand so it must be aliens."
    I guess any irritation might come from people automatically dismissing aliens as a ludicrous idea and that anyone considering them as plausible must be just like the crazy hair nut.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not really. I was merely following the logical form you presented, to see if it held up for other things.

If it is logical to believe something for reason X, "stories of something going back thousands of years", then it should be the basis for other things.

Do you think that is a rational basis for believing in goblins? Why or why not?
    posts like these make me think you have done an incredible troll job on Spurstalk. Like an intelligent version of ChumpDumper.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I always read your replies that is how I know your being mislead.

so you get mad at artist renditions of fosslis but go ga-ga for artist renditions of DNA

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    start at 1:12

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Not necessarily. I recognize the paradox it creates but we're not trying to figure out alien evolution. Probably.
    We're not trying to figure out alien evolution because there's no evidence of aliens.

But there's evidence of evolution.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    LOL. Maybe. But I don't think I'm at the point of "I don't understand so it must be aliens."
    I guess any irritation might come from people automatically dismissing aliens as a ludicrous idea and that anyone considering them as plausible must be just like the crazy hair nut.
    I'll dismiss the notion that aliens have visited until we see them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We're not trying to figure out alien evolution because there's no evidence of aliens.

But there's evidence of evolution.
    there is evidence of aliens. regardless of how much credence you give it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    there is evidence of aliens. regardless of how much credence you give it.
    No, there's no evidence of intelligent aliens that have visited the earth.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    200 PAGES!

That is the all time record for a thread here at ST, but I can't take all the credit. So let me thank all the little people who made this possible, you know who you are. Thank You
    You can take most of the credit. Thanks for allowing us to make fun of you being incredibly stupid for 200 pages.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No, there's no evidence of intelligent aliens that have visited the earth.
    OK. I don't give a anymore. You and Avante figure it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    OK. I don't give a anymore. You and Avante figure it out.
    I've got it figured out and it's simple: until there's evidence I don't buy it.

But I hope you and Avante come back again soon with more alien talk so I can lol.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    posts like these make me think you have done an incredible troll job on Spurstalk. Like an intelligent version of ChumpDumper.
    If your definition of trolling is pointing out the logical flaws in others' argument or thought processes...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There is a difference between "it is possible" and "it happened".

If you "can't believe" humans are the result of natural selection, and your go-to thing that you find better is aliens, then you get to stand in the corner with crazy hair nut, until you can provide some seriously compelling proof why this other theory is so much better than the default natural, unguided selection.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You can take most of the credit. Thanks for allowing us to make fun of you being incredibly stupid for 200 pages.
    He gets to stand in the corner with Cosmored.

Not something to be proud of, IMO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Come on Mouse, even you have to be cringing at this response from your ally....
    yes it's not what I expected from the music man.

Maybe he thinks your one if Blake's TRolls.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    [QUOTE=Blake;8168783]I've got it figured out and it's simple: until there's evidence I don't buy it./QUOTE]

So you are saying there is no design in DNA

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I'm saying there's no evidence of a cosmic designer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm saying there's no evidence of a cosmic designer.

Thread Information