Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you haven't heard much of these clowns act, but Bontempts in particular went full Bontempts here, with his usual anti Wembanyama/Pop agenda.

Windhorst is one of the better national media big wigs as far as abstaining from that type of unprofessional behavior, but can never help himself when it comes to Pop.

We get it. They don't like him or the fact that they got another GOAT level prospect (didn't have any problem with the S bag screw job though), but it'd be nice to hear one segment about this team that isn't a mix between that and now Wembanyama fear mongering.
    Maybe I don’t have the proper lens in listening to them, but I generally agreed with most of what they were saying. Someone did explicitly say they didn’t think Wemby would demand a trade, but that he would force them to accelerate their previous timeline, which I agree with. I did hear the complaints about the “we know better than you” approach Pop takes with the media, but I don’t think they are wrong there either. For all the “that’s not who we are” talk Pop likes to give… he treats the media like second class citizens. I have a friend who used to work in SA Sports Media (who is now in another market) who hates the Spurs and SS&E specifically because of the way they handle the media.

I thought it was a good discussion. I’m sure these guys have their own biases against the Spurs, which is fine… easy to look through those and evaluate the discussion solely on the merits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sports media is a cesspool of clickbaiters and hot takes.
    The best approach is to keep them at a distance.
    If that means treating the few “good guys” poorly sometimes I’m ok with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I don’t have the proper lens in listening to them, but I generally agreed with most of what they were saying. Someone did explicitly say they didn’t think Wemby would demand a trade, but that he would force them to accelerate their previous timeline, which I agree with. I did hear the complaints about the “we know better than you” approach Pop takes with the media, but I don’t think they are wrong there either. For all the “that’s not who we are” talk Pop likes to give… he treats the media like second class citizens. I have a friend who used to work in SA Sports Media (who is now in another market) who hates the Spurs and SS&E specifically because of the way they handle the media.

I thought it was a good discussion. I’m sure these guys have their own biases against the Spurs, which is fine… easy to look through those and evaluate the discussion solely on the merits.
    It was a smart discussion. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I listened to it this morning and it was crap. Windhorst trying to quiet down the noise that ESPN is pushing a narrative about Wemby while simultaneously pushing that narrative; and Andrew Lopez was lame as well. Windhorst kept repeating that he'd be shocked if the spurs made any trades because SA has never been active with trading draft picks in the past. I just wondered how Bontemps and Lopez up didn't point out that the Spurs have never had such assets at their disposal before and, because of their great success over a 20 year span, also never had to make blockbuster trades. Windhorst just kept repeating that the Spurs are just going to go about building the team based on the OKC model but that this would take too long, and Wemby's comment about "running up the stairs" had GMs and NBA execs gasping and proclaiming that not even LeBron made such bold proclamations when he was a rookie. All Lopez said was that Wemby is far ahead of schedule and this is causing a problem for how the spurs will address building their team. The one thing I got out of it is that Lopez, for being designated the ESPN official Wemby reporter, doesn't have any insight. Mike Finger probably has more internal knowledge. They were a little more accurate when discussing who, besides Vassell, is a viable candidate to being a long-term teammate of Wemby's.
    wtf is this wall of text.

tl;dr

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, they never do, because deep down they know it's ridiculous, but they have no problem leading down that road.

Again, in isolation totally fine and understandable. When virtually every Spurs related discussion post S bag devolves into that almost immediately it's gutless and agenda driven.

Maybe when you haven't heard it a ton. All types of nonsense, from claims of the Spurs not getting criticized because they're the Spurs (which again, stopped 6 years ago), to other claims of them having questionable trade assets (when they're inarguably among the best) to not coming up with possible solutions.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Building Around Victor Wembanyama

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they never do, because deep down they know it's ridiculous, but they have no problem leading down that road.

Again, in isolation totally fine and understandable. When virtually every Spurs related discussion post S bag devolves into that almost immediately it's gutless and agenda driven.

Maybe when you haven't heard it a ton. All types of nonsense, from claims of the Spurs not getting criticized because they're the Spurs (which again, stopped 6 years ago), to other claims of them having questionable trade assets (when they're inarguably among the best) to not coming up with possible solutions.
    Do they, or are we overestimating those assets?

No one's discussing the pick treasure they're sitting on, but as far as players are concerned, what is the actual value of the current roster in trade? You need that too eventually to bring proven talent in.

Are other FOs really salivating at Keldon, Sochan, Branham, Blake, Tre, Collins, not even mentioning Champagnie or Barlow? They watch the games lie we do, and see the obvious lack of talent and BBIQ, all things you can't teach. Devin is the one with the most value as 3 pt threat, but not that much either since he's not a 3&D.

Sure, it's a show and media like drama, but I wouldn't treat them as worthless or entirely biased either. Some do have insights and players/agents may use them to make some messages pass. And it's not just the media honestly, everyone following the NBA believe spurs may have to accelerate the rebuild.

as far as Pop is concerned, that's what happens when you act a bit arrogant. When you're on top, you can get away with a lot of things, but when things are not going well, don't complain people call you out for that same arrogance and iness... And what has honestly Pop accomplished since the end of the Big 3 era? Besides two of the worst seasons, BB wise, in spurs history. That team sucks, badly, and you don't seem to see some real direction or control. I believe on the contrary Pop is rather spared and still living on his former accomplishments (and probably age) In any other franchise, he would have been fired a long time ago... I mean, Sochan at PG?
    Last edited by JPB; 03-19-2024 at 06:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one's discussing the pick treasure they're sitting on, but as far as players are concerned, what is the actual value of the current roster in trade? You need that too eventually to bring proven talent in.

Are other FOs really salivating at Keldon, Sochan, Branham, Blake, Tre, Collins, not even mentioning Champagnie or Barlow? They watch the games lie we do, and see the obvious lack of talent and BBIQ, all things you can't teach. Devin is the one with the most value as 3 pt threat, but not that much either since he's not a 3&D.

Sure, it's a show and media like drama, but I wouldn't treat them as worthless or entirely biased either. Some do have insights and players/agents may use them to make some messages pass. And it's not just the media honestly, everyone following the NBA believe spurs may have to accelerate the rebuild.

as far as Pop is concerned, that's what happens when you act a bit arrogant. When you're on top, you can get away with a lot of things, but when things are not going well, don't complain people call you out for that same arrogance and iness... And what has honestly Pop accomplished since the end of the Big 3 era? Besides two of the worst seasons, BB wise, in spurs history. That team sucks, badly, and you don't seem to see some real direction or control. I believe on the contrary Pop is rather spared and still living on his former accomplishments (and probably age) In any other franchise, he would have been fired a long time ago... I mean, Sochan at PG?
    Have you ever hard Pop complain even one time? I’d love to see the quote…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

they touched on this and Bontemps brought up the point that keldon and/or sochan would serve as ballast more than anything else, just to make salaries work; the real value would be found in the picks. and the problem isn't their so-called insight, it's the inferences and, sometimes, the blatantly wrong information that are disingenuous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they touched on this and Bontemps brought up the point that keldon and/or sochan would serve as ballast more than anything else, just to make salaries work; the real value would be found in the picks. and the problem isn't their so-called insight, it's the inferences and, sometimes, the blatantly wrong information that are disingenuous.
    I mean, do you think Keldon and Sochan have significantly more value than that? I don't think you could get an FRP of either of these guys right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, do you think Keldon and Sochan have significantly more value than that? I don't think you could get an FRP of either of these guys right now.
    they don't have great value but they would be the component of any trade that would make a trade work, salary wise, for a sought after player; the greater value would be whatever first round picks we gave up in such a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Isn't that basically what Bontemps said? Where's the beef?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Isn't that basically what Bontemps said? Where's the beef?
    that's what i wrote in my post that you quoted. have you had your coffee yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's what i wrote in my post that you quoted. have you had your coffee yet?
    I apologize, maybe I misunderstood this part of your post:

and the problem isn't their so-called insight, it's the inferences and, sometimes, the blatantly wrong information that are disingenuous.

To me that read as Bontemp's opinion (which it appears we agree is accurate) as being "blatantly wrong information that is disingenuous". If that isn't what you mean, then sorry I misunderstood.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Windy and his show. But it does annoy me when they don't know what the they're talking about. Windy - "Spurs have 3 First rounders next year". ESPNs new Spurs guy Lopez - "no, they could have as many as 4...". Also Bontempts brilliant analysis - "Spurs need to be careful and not do anything stupid". Well, no . Maybe offer up a little more than that. Trading Vassel? Offering up too many picks for Trae? Care to elaborate. But whatever, they talked Spurs roster for 30 minutes. I appreciate that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I apologize, maybe I misunderstood this part of your post:

To me that read as Bontemp's opinion (which it appears we agree is accurate) as being "blatantly wrong information that is disingenuous". If that isn't what you mean, then sorry I misunderstood. [/COLOR]
    that part was pointed more toward windhorst who kept harping on how the spurs have never made such trades before (as if what they did in the past would mean they'll never make such a trade) while failing to point out that the spurs have never had such a pile of trade assets in their entire franchise history. then there was all that hyperbole about how wemby's "running up the stairs" comment had NBA execs gasping. windhorst also insisted that the spurs tanked in 96-97 even though Bontemps had mentioned the David Robinson injury (but not the injuries to persons, avery and elliott).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the National Media will get smarter as we return to relevance. It's hard for me to blame any of the national guys for not knowing much about what's going on here... because why would they? We're a bottom dweller who is only getting attention because of one player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you ever hard Pop complain even one time? I’d love to see the quote…
    The way he dismisses in a condescending way questions (usually asked very diplomatically) is equivalent.

He’s acting as if whatever he’s doing is the obvious common sense and whoever dare question it is a moron.

He just happened to have been wrong A LOT but it didn’t bring any humility it seems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way he dismisses in a condescending way questions (usually asked very diplomatically) is equivalent.

He’s acting as if whatever he’s doing is the obvious common sense and whoever dare question it is a moron.

He just happened to have been wrong A LOT but it didn’t bring any humility it seems.
    That’s not a complaint. I agree with what you posted,but whatever the cir stances, he doesn’t complain about them, which is what you originally said. I’d have a problem if he complained about something he clearly caused ,but he doesn’t.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s not a complaint. I agree with what you posted,but whatever the cir stances, he doesn’t complain about them, which is what you originally said. I’d have a problem if he complained about something he clearly caused ,but he doesn’t.
    True he didn’t “formally” complain

I think it’s my way (maybe JPB as well) of interpreting some of his press conferences where he uses sarcasm as a way to respond or anticipate critics in a passive agressive way.

I recall one before season started when answering about Spurs plans for Wemby he said something like “before I screw Wemby’s season …” with a forced laugh.

Anyways, a perception thing I guess

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Look through star trades in the past decade or so and tell me that Johnson, salary relief and quan y/quality of draft equity is not a comparable package to many.

They just don't like the fact that the Spurs now possess it to go with the best asset in the league and an ideal third option in Vassell.

Most of these people are so biased and agenda driven that you give me a name, I can tell you their ties immediately.

Again, I have no problem with the Pop criticism in isolation (well deserved), but every segment for 6 years running about this team shouldn't immediately devolve into that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Andrew Lopez guy definitely trolls this message board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True he didn’t “formally” complain

I think it’s my way (maybe JPB as well) of interpreting some of his press conferences where he uses sarcasm as a way to respond or anticipate critics in a passive agressive way.

I recall one before season started when answering about Spurs plans for Wemby he said something like “before I screw Wemby’s season …” with a forced laugh.

Anyways, a perception thing I guess
    He’s definitely sarcastic,and unfriendly to the press, but that’s because the NBA forces him to do press almost every night, and through 82 games there just isn’t much to discuss on a nightly basis I think he’s allowed to opt out maybe 5-6 times. He’s a jerk because that’s what makes for the shortest press conferences.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Windy and his show. But it does annoy me when they don't know what the they're talking about. Windy - "Spurs have 3 First rounders next year". ESPNs new Spurs guy Lopez - "no, they could have as many as 4...". Also Bontempts brilliant analysis - "Spurs need to be careful and not do anything stupid". Well, no . Maybe offer up a little more than that. Trading Vassel? Offering up too many picks for Trae? Care to elaborate. But whatever, they talked Spurs roster for 30 minutes. I appreciate that.
    They were talking about 2025 draft i think where we have anywhere from 2 - 6 first.

Thread Information