Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    When does Finley have to make his choice? I remember the year before he told the FO his decision before the draft.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    It's time to put Finley out to pasture. What he now provides you can get from a younger player for less money. If you're going to take advantage of Timmy in his final few productive years he needs talent upgrades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he will retire.
    He needs to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When does Finley have to make his choice? I remember the year before he told the FO his decision before the draft.
    He has until July 1st to decide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Championships don't lie spursbird's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if he declared to retire, Houston would try to sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for 2007, leadership, (some) clutch shooting, playing your guts out, and being an all-round good guy, Fin, but please don't pick up that option - retire in grace with your ring and a very accomplished career.

The reason I don't want Finley around next year is that he's the sort of veteran crutch Pop likes to rely on, which means that he'll get minutes that MUST go to developing some youngsters. It's time to take a few hits on the scoreboard for the sake of the future, not to go safe with tapped-out veterans who will take us nowhere in the playoffs. The NBA is now a super-athlete's league, especially at the small positions, and Finley is no longer athlete enough to keep up.

Bring him back as a coaching assistant if you like (actually, he'd be wonderful at that I think), but please, no playing uniform!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Michael Finley

Now, please ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has until July 1st to decide.
    Bump

Any further follow up about Michael's decision yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, when Finley had the same decision to make in 2007, he waited until June 26th.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I can't remember if it was RC or Pop that said Finley let them know his decision a few days before the draft back in 2007. So I assume he would do so again in case it affects how they draft this time around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry geek operation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

were is that from lmfao!!!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in retrospect, popovich played finley because he had no other option. bowen, in reality, had no offense other than catch and shoot, ginobili was injured, mason ended up playing point and udoka wasn't really an option either since both his off the dribble and catch and shoot skills reverted horribly. can't really blame popovich for failing to engineer a successful wing rotation of finley, udoka, bowen, and mason. it's just not doable. this definitely means popovich recognizes the necessity of picking up a good wing player in the offseason. hopefully one that plays solid defense as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i had a bad dream that finley was still on the spurs

i was happy when i woke up

Championships don't lie spursbird's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I was thinking about a question: If he retired, who would be our start SF? Udoka?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    But I was thinking about a question: If he retired, who would be our start SF? Udoka?
    I'm guessing Udoka's gone no matter what Finley decides. It's my thinking that Finley will stay and take Udoka's spot minutes/seat on the bench role this year while someone new (draft/free agent) takes the starting role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They both need to go as the Spurs desparately need to overhaul the entire SF position. It's been their biggest achilles heel the past several seasons and it needs to be revamped with fresh blood immediately.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 05-24-2009 at 09:08 AM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Looking back I sorta wish the Spurs had the money to keep him around while still getting some new guys. I was as much as anyone tired of seeing the old man back but he had some clutch shots and some nice games throughout the season. If only Pop would just use him limitedly he could still help, he's still a superb catch and shoot guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking back I sorta wish the Spurs had the money to keep him around while still getting some new guys. I was as much as anyone tired of seeing the old man back but he had some clutch shots and some nice games throughout the season. If only Pop would just use him limitedly he could still help, he's still a superb catch and shoot guy.
    They do have the money to bring him back. It is Finley who has the player option at a pretty reasonable price (i believe 2.5million). The money isn't the issue with Finley. He is gonna be 36, has little defensive ability, and has mind numbing games where he scores 4 points and does NOTHING else.

It would be best to move on if possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tomtom - Finley is Pop's crack rocks. If he's here, Pop WILL play his broken down ass for at least 25-30 minutes.

Michael Finley - Thanks for your professionalism and some clutch shots. Now, do Pop and all of us a favor and walk off into the sunset with your championship ring. You were a high draft pick, so you never had to break into the league, but the Spurs will not have a pick like that for a long time, and you need to step aside and let some youngster get a roster spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i appreciate Finley's contributions over the past few years. However, he does need to either retire or move on.

we need guys who are more consistent along the perimeter, but even moreso, we need guys who are better perimeter defenders. Finley plays defense the way Rodman played offense. Actually, Rodman was better offensively than Finley is defensively.

I want to re-sign Hairston, maybe bring over Sanikidze, and draft a wing player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley needs to go.

I appreciate what he did for the Spurs in 06 and 07. But he's hung around too long. He's a defensive liability, too old and too streaky. Retire with your ring and enjoy your life.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    His defense wouldn't be so bad now if it was against someone in the 2nd unit and for limited minutes off the bench. But he'll get abused every time against guys like James, Durant, Howard for 30+ minutes.

Someone will be back between Finley, Bowen, and Udoka. Finley seems the likely choice since Bowen has been mentioned in lots of trade talks with his partially guaranteed contract. I don't see the Spurs wasting money on Udoka when they need some new blood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs trade Mason and need a shooter, I wouldn't be against Finley being back. In all the other cases, I hope he won't be a Spur next year.

Thread Information