Penn St
    Miami
    Virginia Tech

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas Jayhawks
    Post Count
    Delany denies latest expansion rumors

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany e-mailed conference officials Tuesday to stamp out a rumor that four schools had already been offered a chance to join the league.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith confirmed Tuesday that Delany had quashed a report that the Big Ten had offered expansion spots to Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Rutgers.

Asked if there was anything to that speculation, Smith said, "Nothing. There's no truth to it whatsoever. Actually, Jim sent us all an e-mail telling us there's no truth to that -- which we knew. There's no extensions of offers that have been made, so that's not true."

The conference is looking at expanding from its current 11 members so that it can extend the reach of its lucrative cable network and add a league championship game in football.

The Big Ten athletic directors will meet May 17-19 in downtown Chicago. They will be joined by faculty representatives, senior women's administrators and the head coaches in football and men's and women's basketball. But Smith said the meetings were routine and nothing would be decided in terms of expansion.

"This is our normal meetings, the ones we have every year," Smith said. "Jim will probably give us an update on what the consultant has shared, and I don't even know if the consultant report is done. He'll give us an update and then move on doing what he's been doing. I think they meet with the [university] presidents in June or something like that. So the timeline hasn't changed, but there won't be any action next week."

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    How about this conference

Texas
    Oklahoma
    Nebraska
    USC
    Oregon
    Florida
    Alabama
    LSU
    Ohio St
    Penn St
    Miami
    Virginia Tech
    great list.

although you forgot to add Notre Dame, Michigan and the Seattle Seahawks

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    To Notre Dame, Rutgers, Missouri and Nebraska!!!

http://www.810whb.com/blog/3534

The dominoes are about to fall....................................
    Great thread, leblog

I teach at Rutgers. we currently get about 2million revenue per game. In the big 10 we'd get 22 million We are about 90% sure we will be in the Big 10 next season

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    We are about 90% sure we will be in the Big 10 next season
    I am about 99.9% sure you wont be in the Big 10 next season.

My Team
    Kansas Jayhawks
    Post Count
    I'm not saying it won't happen. But that article is by Kevin Keitzman who is a radio show host in the KC area with a track record for being right about half as often as hoopsworld.

This is something me and a state fan can agree on. Kevin Kietzman also said "Dorian Lamb to KU and Josh Selby to UK. LOCK IT DOWN." This was from his highly credible sources. He is generally known as a jack ass up here in KC.

My Team
    Kansas Jayhawks
    Post Count
    if notre dame joins the big 10 i'm turning in my fan card

Your school is the head of Medusa when it comes to the problems with college football. I think they should be forced into a conference or the BB program should be tossed. I'm not trying to make you mad, but if you don't join you might be left out in the cold someday soon. The ND mystique is gone. they are not viewed as the elite program anymore.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    This is something me and a state fan can agree on. Kevin Kietzman also said "Dorian Lamb to KU and Josh Selby to UK. LOCK IT DOWN." This was from his highly credible sources. He is generally known as a jack ass up here in KC.
    definitely one of my least favorite fellow alumni. the guy's a tool.

basically, he's the who talks all kinds of crap to fans of other schools - then when the cats lose he turns on them for making him eat his words.

i stopped listening (for good) after he spent an entire show talking about how k-state's bball road win at baylor was completely unimpressive.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    great list.

although you forgot to add Notre Dame, Michigan and the Seattle Seahawks

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    Above and beyond the alignment/expansion issue, wouldnt an expanded Big10 basically force the NCAA into a playoff system?

Youd have the only 4 relevant conferences (SEC, B10, B12, Pac10) all with a playoff conference championship internally. Why wouldnt the BCS just ins ute a playoff seeding based on those 4 results?

Of course, that might make too much sense.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    playoffs already make too much sense.

there could be 4 superconferences of 16 teams each, and the bcs honks would still figure out a way to squash playoff hopes for us and continue to send ranked teams 3-30 to meaningless bowl games.

My Team
    Utah Utes
    Post Count
    I wish this all would hurry up so the dominoes would start falling. The sooner Utah gets into the PAC-10, the better!

hope and change
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    playoffs already make too much sense.

there could be 4 superconferences of 16 teams each, and the bcs honks would still figure out a way to squash playoff hopes for us and continue to send ranked teams 3-30 to meaningless bowl games.

over and over and over again they complain, while College football just continues to easily be the most interesting and successful sport, week in week out. yeah let's make the regular season meaningless and boring like college basketball...

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

over and over and over again they complain, while College football just continues to easily be the most interesting and successful sport, week in week out. yeah let's make the regular season meaningless and boring like college basketball...
    incredible.....Boise St fan would be one of the last I would figure to be against a playoff system....

congratulations on your team's meaningless undefeated season.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count

and yet, college basketball has a far greater postseason deal than college football.

wonder why that is?

hope and change
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    and yet, college basketball has a far greater postseason deal than college football.

wonder why that is?
    hardly a consolation prize, the two sports have been going in opposite directions in popularity, I can't understand why people would want the wildly successful sport to be more like the sport that's waning.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    hardly a consolation prize, the two sports have been going in opposite directions in popularity, I can't understand why people would want the wildly successful sport to be more like the sport that's waning.
    college basketball is hardly waning because of the tournament. There's a reason why they were seriously thinking of expanding to 90+ teams.

I can't even imagine how much more badass the tourneys would have been had Kobe, LeBron, Durant, KG, Carmelo, etc etc etc etc etc had stayed in college longer or had just gone to begin with.

hope and change
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    college basketball is hardly waning because of the tournament. There's a reason why they were seriously thinking of expanding to 90+ teams.

I can't even imagine how much more badass the tourneys would have been had Kobe, LeBron, Durant, KG, Carmelo, etc etc etc etc etc had stayed in college longer or had just gone to begin with.

LeBron, Durant, KG, Carmelo, etc are the reasons I don't like the NBA anymore.

though I don't watch much/any college basketball. If I did, I'd much rather watch a Duke team running a system to perfection than a team just riding Melo or Durant or some other gifted freak

and the expansion to 90+ teams reeks of desperation to me

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

LeBron, Durant, KG, Carmelo, etc are the reasons I don't like the NBA anymore, I'd rather watch a Duke team running a system to perfection than a team just riding Melo or Durant or some other gifted freak
    eh.

That reeks of WNBA fan that says they like watching fundamental basketball over ESPN highlight dunks.

You also need to check how many Dukees are currently in the NBA.

and the expansion to 90+ teams reeks of desperation to me
    maybe.......because the tournament is such a cool thing that they want to extend it.

by your argument, instead of extending it, should they get rid of it altogether and just invite the top two ranked teams to one NC game?

hope and change
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count

maybe.......because the tournament is such a cool thing that they want to extend it.

by your argument, instead of extending it, should they get rid of it altogether and just invite the top two ranked teams to one NC game?
    well, first of all, basketball is a very different beast than football, one great player can turn any small college into a contender, and second of all, when was the last time a team ranked 33-64, or 9-16 I guess, won the le?

seems to me that the field is twice as large as it would ever possibly need to be in order to find the best basketball team. the best basketball team always comes from among the top 32 regular season teams **GASP!**

so the whole first round is just a meaningless cash-grab that cheapens the product and diminishes the importance and compe iveness of the regular season.

NCAA BB would be well served to shrink the field to 24 teams, with 8 teams getting a buy. but it'll never happen, because they don't care about finding the best team, they care about the bracket spectacle and the interest generated by the gambling side of it.

hope and change
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    eh.

That reeks of WNBA fan that says they like watching fundamental basketball over ESPN highlight dunks.

You also need to check how many Dukees are currently in the NBA.
    the only time I like a dunk is when it follows the defense getting broken down, Lebron or Howard just bowling people over on their way to the rim is quite boring. and no, I never watch ESPN highlights, unless it's a football-only show.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    There's a reason why they were seriously thinking of expanding to 90+ teams.
    Yeah and those reasons are dollars and nothing more.

I believe the highest seed to win the tournament was a 6 seed in 1985 (Villanova), so what would be the point in expanding the tournament from 65 to 96 or whatever they were thinking about? I can bet you it wasn't because they thought that the extra teams added had a chance to win the tournament, but that it meant more games and more advertising revenues and so on and so on.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    well, first of all, basketball is a very different beast than football, one great player can turn any small college into a contender, and second of all, when was the last time a team ranked 33-64, or 9-16 I guess, won the le?

seems to me that the field is twice as large as it would ever possibly need to be in order to find the best basketball team. the best basketball team always comes from among the top 32 regular season teams **GASP!**

so the whole first round is just a meaningless cash-grab that cheapens the product and diminishes the importance and compe iveness of the regular season.

NCAA BB would be well served to shrink the field to 24 teams, with 8 teams getting a buy. but it'll never happen, because they don't care about finding the best team, they care about the bracket spectacle and the interest generated by the gambling side of it.
    **GASP!**

you are still for a 24 team playoff system in basketball where those top 8 teams have a decided advantage.

there's little difference between that and a football playoff....

but a 24 team playoff system will never happen for football because of ridiculous university presidents that honk the current bowl system.
    They seem to like the guaranteed money of the lousy exhibition games at the end of the year.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    the only time I like a dunk is when it follows the defense getting broken down, Lebron or Howard just bowling people over on their way to the rim is quite boring. and no, I never watch ESPN highlights, unless it's a football-only show.
    figured.

Thread Information